Reason Studios updates their roadmap (November 17, 2021)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
PhillipOrdonez

19 Nov 2021

Looking forward to the bass line generator! I hope it is not only for acid style bass though (sorry fellow Reason talker who wishes it is a rebirth style sequencer. 🤗) I really hope it isn't just that 😱

Loque

19 Nov 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Nov 2021
Looking forward to the bass line generator! I hope it is not only for acid style bass though (sorry fellow Reason talker who wishes it is a rebirth style sequencer. 🤗) I really hope it isn't just that 😱
Agree. I instantly thought about a real bass with sliding notes, but this is not possible as a Player, except someone smart adds a CV out for controlling a pitch bend or other CV signals for controlling like MW (np devs, you can pay me later for this idea...).
Reason12, Win10

jam-s

19 Nov 2021

Loque wrote:
19 Nov 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Nov 2021
Agree. I instantly thought about a real bass with sliding notes, but this is not possible as a Player, except someone smart adds a CV out for controlling a pitch bend or other CV signals for controlling like MW (np devs, you can pay me later for this idea...).
As RS is working on it it could possibly be made with a newer SDK version which could allow for more advanced options for players.

Loque

19 Nov 2021

jam-s wrote:
19 Nov 2021
Loque wrote:
19 Nov 2021

As RS is working on it it could possibly be made with a newer SDK version which could allow for more advanced options for players.
Well, i would appreciate updates to the SDK, but i dont think it would be necessary. There is nothing a "real" bass player could generate beside PW MIDI signals and currently they are monophonic. To be integrated into a Player as full polyphonic, Reason must support new MIDI standard. And since its "only" a bass player (which means monophonic), i speculate some PW magic.

Well, maybe i am wrong, and they add the basic MIDI controllers to the SDK for the Players, even if they are monophonic only. Would probably open up a few new possibilities, which at least would be some kind of "auto routing" instead of CV cabling, because Players do not have cables. I hope we than will see a (free :thumbup: ) Player routing this out to CV, because RS wont do that as we all know :cry:

Guess we will see it when its released...
Reason12, Win10

DJMaytag

19 Nov 2021

bxbrkrz wrote:
18 Nov 2021
A tagging system would be such a wonderful option, especially now with the new Combinator and Reason more focused than ever becoming a very powerful VST for other DAWs.
That could certainly be a highly requested enough feature that they could justify pushing back the browser development to include that.

That said, if you’re on MacOS, just tag your patches at the OS level, or at least organize them in a folder structure that makes sense to you.

DJMaytag

19 Nov 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Nov 2021
I use 303 devices (I built a Din Sync RE-303 and am part of the beta team for Audiorealism and it’s ABL3 VST) to generate non-acid baselines. There’s a major amount of beefy low end with the resonance at zero, and the snappiness with lots of ENV mod and a short decay? It’s to die for.

bxbrkrz

19 Nov 2021

DJMaytag wrote:
19 Nov 2021
bxbrkrz wrote:
18 Nov 2021
A tagging system would be such a wonderful option, especially now with the new Combinator and Reason more focused than ever becoming a very powerful VST for other DAWs.
That could certainly be a highly requested enough feature that they could justify pushing back the browser development to include that.

That said, if you’re on MacOS, just tag your patches at the OS level, or at least organize them in a folder structure that makes sense to you.
I am on Windows.
You know what, the tagging system could be like on your Mac. "OS level" of Reason.
So you create a Combinator, and a bunch of patches, you right click > tag > new window with multiple options. Tag one patch, tag the whole Combi patch list, if you don't feel inspired for a name tag just tag by color etc... Save tag.
Next, create new Combi, right click > tag, load tag. The browser and tagging system would be closer to the rack, so would your state of mind. No need to jump out and focus on a browser.

Thanks for the inspiration :puf_smile:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Pepin

19 Nov 2021

Finder tags are a pretty nice solution for user patches, especailly since drag and drop works.
But they don't help with patches that are trapped inside refills or factory banks. And imo those are the ones more in need of tagging, since users don't have control over the naming conventions and folder structure.

Billy+

19 Nov 2021

Pepin wrote:
19 Nov 2021
Finder tags are a pretty nice solution for user patches, especailly since drag and drop works.
But they don't help with patches that are trapped inside refills or factory banks. And imo those are the ones more in need of tagging, since users don't have control over the naming conventions and folder structure.
I've been hoping for an official method to unpack refills for ages, I would like to be able to import the massive collection of drum one shots into XO.

rootwheel

19 Nov 2021

Loque wrote:
19 Nov 2021
I hadn't thought about this limitation until you said but I think you're right. It's not going to be that great a bassline generator if it can't generate pitch bend and it's all just static notes only.

They really need to update the SDK if Players cannot send MIDI CCs yet...

Creativemind

19 Nov 2021

Pepin wrote:
17 Nov 2021
Having read the blog post, I'm somewhat reassured to hear they're scrapping the "smart browser" for now. It always seemed like the least important of all the features on the roadmap.

I just hope the bug where the browser doesn't remember collapsed folders is fixed soon. That's actually been the most annoying issue in R12 for me, small as it might seem.

And as for whether R12 is "perfect" for most users, there are bugs in R12 that do affect everyone (such as aforementioned browser issue). So in that sense, it's not perfect. But I think we all know what was meant by that sentence, which is that the show-stopping performance bugs don't affect most users. And that's undoubtedly true.
It was the only thing I was hoping for seeing as there seems to be no other core daw improvements (featurewise).
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Nov 2021

Well the Bassline Generator Player sounds like it could be interesting. It's fun easy-to-use creative devices that's RS strong suit after all. Will probably give that one a spin at some point.

As for the other stuff, I've pretty much lost all my initial interest in upgrading after this drawn out mess. Let me know when it's ready.

tronam

19 Nov 2021

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed by some of these delays, but I have no doubt the core development team is working as hard as they can to get R12 into shape. I think it'll eventually get to where it needs to be, but that's not much consolation for pro users who depend on Reason every day to be as stable and performant as possible. Sticking with R11 over the next 6mo still feels like a pretty sensible way to go.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

Hoboys

19 Nov 2021

Why bother giving us different colours of lipstick and high heels for our combinators, if the functionality of devices is only partially exposed for remote control since forever?

If we are expected to spend time perfecting the combi system as a product, why are we not given all the tools? Are RS afraid we're going to hurt ourselves? :lol:

Billy+

19 Nov 2021

Actually that was my first disappointment with R12 and the new combinator but ultimately it has nothing to do with the Reason version or the combinator and is actually the individual device developers who need to make sure that they expose the controls.

Although the controls I was after happened to be Reason Studios devices, but either way it's disappointing that one of the more interesting features are being overlooked especially now that the combinator is capable of housing more controls on its front panel.

challism

19 Nov 2021

I couldn't care less about any new RS Branded devices, at this time. What I really want them to focus on, instead of coming out with 3 or 4 new REs per year (as is their stated goal), is to show some love to the legacy devices and give them all a well-deserved, overdue makeover. Every stock device in Reason should be revisited and improved upon. Why not make them the best they can be? I don't understand their constant need to chase something new, instead of improving what they already have. (Reminds me of my unfinished song/project folder.... but I'm not a company, so it's apples and oranges)

Why not make everything automatable on every device? Running out of targets slots isn't an acceptable excuse, since they are self-imposed in the Reason code, itself. I would absolutely love to see them go thru and modernize their devices instead of making new devices nobody is asking for. I think doing that would excite and please a lot of their userbase. I'm not just talking about automation targets; that's just one example of something that could be improved upon. Seriously, why can't I automate the resolution knob on a Matrix? That's nuts.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Arrant
Competition Winner

20 Nov 2021

challism wrote:
19 Nov 2021
. I would absolutely love to see them go thru and modernize their devices instead of making new devices nobody is asking for. I think doing that would excite and please a lot of their userbase.
Absolutely agree. I don't think there is any new device they could announce that would excite me much. New versions of existing devices though, that would float my boat. Just look at the positivity created by the new combinator.

Hoboys

20 Nov 2021

challism wrote:
19 Nov 2021
I couldn't care less about any new RS Branded devices, at this time. What I really want them to focus on, instead of coming out with 3 or 4 new REs per year (as is their stated goal), is to show some love to the legacy devices and give them all a well-deserved, overdue makeover. Every stock device in Reason should be revisited and improved upon. Why not make them the best they can be? I don't understand their constant need to chase something new, instead of improving what they already have. (Reminds me of my unfinished song/project folder.... but I'm not a company, so it's apples and oranges)

Why not make everything automatable on every device? Running out of targets slots isn't an acceptable excuse, since they are self-imposed in the Reason code, itself. I would absolutely love to see them go thru and modernize their devices instead of making new devices nobody is asking for. I think doing that would excite and please a lot of their userbase. I'm not just talking about automation targets; that's just one example of something that could be improved upon. Seriously, why can't I automate the resolution knob on a Matrix? That's nuts.
This... Thor, Kong, Maelstrom, Redrum and even the 1-rack devices all have flawed parameter exposition.

How to let RS know about this? Can we collect signatures or maybe a poll for New Devices vs Improving Stock? Hell, even saying "improving" feels a bit of a stretch, because that's something that MUST HAVE BEEN THERE from day 1. RS guys, if you' are reading this - don't let Mr. Jubel waste his time on something we don't want and then go "well we can't please everybody" when the new device get booed. LISTEN. You CAN please everyone.

P.S.: going through the demos of SKP new Aura combinator refill and it's absolutely mind blowing what he has done with stock devices. Imagine what he can do without these unnecessary limitations.

Neo

20 Nov 2021

challism wrote:
19 Nov 2021
I couldn't care less about any new RS Branded devices, at this time. What I really want them to focus on, instead of coming out with 3 or 4 new REs per year (as is their stated goal), is to show some love to the legacy devices and give them all a well-deserved, overdue makeover. Every stock device in Reason should be revisited and improved upon. ...
+100
hell-yeah-1200x600.jpg
hell-yeah-1200x600.jpg (68.67 KiB) Viewed 9070 times
Because we really need new REs and more Sound Packs yeah..
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Nov 2021

Hoboys wrote:
20 Nov 2021
This... Thor, Kong, Maelstrom, Redrum and even the 1-rack devices all have flawed parameter exposition.

How to let RS know about this? Can we collect signatures or maybe a poll for New Devices vs Improving Stock? Hell, even saying "improving" feels a bit of a stretch, because that's something that MUST HAVE BEEN THERE from day 1. RS guys, if you' are reading this - don't let Mr. Jubel waste his time on something we don't want and then go "well we can't please everybody" when the new device get booed. LISTEN. You CAN please everyone.

P.S.: going through the demos of SKP new Aura combinator refill and it's absolutely mind blowing what he has done with stock devices. Imagine what he can do without these unnecessary limitations.
No no no. Let the old devices be. Thor, Subtractor, Redrum etc. I mean sure, I can agree why not make everything automatable. Other than that, leave them alone. It's time to move on.
Just look at Europa and Grain. They're much better and more fun devices. New is good. :puf_smile:

challism

20 Nov 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
20 Nov 2021
Hoboys wrote:
20 Nov 2021

No no no. Let the old devices be. Thor, Subtractor, Redrum etc. I mean sure, I can agree why not make everything automatable. Other than that, leave them alone. It's time to move on.
Just look at Europa and Grain. They're much better and more fun devices. New is good. :puf_smile:
Maybe it's a Swedish thing? ha ha ha
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

orthodox
RE Developer

20 Nov 2021

challism wrote:
20 Nov 2021
TritoneAddiction wrote:
20 Nov 2021

Maybe it's a Swedish thing? ha ha ha
Not only. I think the same, so it's a northern thing.

plaamook

20 Nov 2021

challism wrote:
19 Nov 2021
Seriously, why can't I automate the resolution knob on a Matrix? That's nuts.
Why can't they add Free Run to the resolution on a Matrix.
Sorry, one of my pet gripes.
There's the simplicity of the Matrix and then there are all these (in my opinion) bloated super sequencers and even they don't have Randomise and Free Run in the same place.
Never mind...
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Creativemind

20 Nov 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Nov 2021
Well it's a player, not an instrument, so won't be a 303 of any kind. It will just be something that generates bass lines I'm guessing lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

buddard
RE Developer

20 Nov 2021

Loque wrote:
19 Nov 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Nov 2021
Sliding notes have been possible since before Players existed, for example the Matrix in Reason 1.0... Just enable legato mode and auto portamento on the instrument and legato notes will trigger a slide?
Or am I missing something?

• Information