Reason 12 is coming!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kbard

14 Jun 2021

To make it on topic, I am a bit excited. Was wondering when will they release a video on new sampler?

If my memory serve me well they said something about upcoming informational video?

I don't have social network accounts so was wondering is that something timed like 10 days before release or can we expect it anytime soon? Perhaps it's already out on Facebook and similar networks?

deeplink
Competition Winner

14 Jun 2021

kbard wrote:
14 Jun 2021
To make it on topic, I am a bit excited. Was wondering when will they release a video on new sampler?

If my memory serve me well they said something about upcoming informational video?

I don't have social network accounts so was wondering is that something timed like 10 days before release or can we expect it anytime soon? Perhaps it's already out on Facebook and similar networks?
If a video was out, RT would be violently pulling it apart already.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

kbard

14 Jun 2021

deeplink wrote:
14 Jun 2021
Apologies I really don't know what you mean (language barrier, English not my native).

Regards

PhillipOrdonez

14 Jun 2021

kbard wrote:
14 Jun 2021
deeplink wrote:
14 Jun 2021
Apologies I really don't know what you mean (language barrier, English not my native).

Regards
They mean that if there was a video already published, this forum would be talking about it and dissecting every aspect of it. Therefore, while they do not know when such a video will be out, they know that we will know about it in this very forum as soon as it becomes available.

kbard

14 Jun 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
14 Jun 2021
kbard wrote:
14 Jun 2021

Regards
They mean that if there was a video already published, this forum would be talking about it and dissecting every aspect of it. Therefore, while they do not know when such a video will be out, they know that we will know about it in this very forum as soon as it becomes available.
Aha got it. Thanks

EnochLight

14 Jun 2021

Raveshaper wrote:
13 Jun 2021
This is some sort of grim, biblical prophecy, nuclear-winter-level meltdown if the venerable EnochLight and adfielding have announced having thrown in the towel. I say that with no disrespect or sarcasm; these two are practically institutions in this community. I just never thought I'd witness them reaching their limit with this app. Like, ever.
Just wanted to chime in on this. I can't speak for adfielding, but I'll likely continue to use Reason in some capacity as time goes on. My frustration is that it's now clear that improving the main sequencer in Reason standalone is not only ** NOT **a priority, but pushed to the very back - if at all - it would appear. Maybe some 12.x trickle features will change that, but for a major release to not add anything (and no, an improved browser and hi-res GUI/UX is ** NOT ** something I feel should be a headline feature - that's free point update territory IMHO), it marks a major change in Reason's direction. I knew 11's RRP was the start, but 12 just really hammered it home. Oh well. To be frank, my anger and frustration is that after using Reason for 20 years, I don't want to have to learn a new DAW inside and out. I'm too old. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Raveshaper wrote:
13 Jun 2021
So many regulars have left this board it's like a graveyard of its former self. Scorched earth compared to just a couple years ago. I digress.
That's a bit dramatic. There's plenty of regulars still around here. What has happened is (due to 11 and RRP) there are a ton more new users whose main homebase is other DAW's. :thumbup:

I'm still a half-glass full sort of bloke. But as 12 goes through its 12.x cycle, I see me drinking from that cup more and more. Hopefully it won't be empty at some point.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loque

14 Jun 2021

EnochLight wrote:
14 Jun 2021
Raveshaper wrote:
13 Jun 2021
This is some sort of grim, biblical prophecy, nuclear-winter-level meltdown if the venerable EnochLight and adfielding have announced having thrown in the towel. I say that with no disrespect or sarcasm; these two are practically institutions in this community. I just never thought I'd witness them reaching their limit with this app. Like, ever.
Just wanted to chime in on this. I can't speak for adfielding, but I'll likely continue to use Reason in some capacity as time goes on. My frustration is that it's now clear that improving the main sequencer in Reason standalone is not only ** NOT **a priority, but pushed to the very back - if at all - it would appear. Maybe some 12.x trickle features will change that, but for a major release to not add anything (and no, an improved browser and hi-res GUI/UX is ** NOT ** something I feel should be a headline feature - that's free point update territory IMHO), it marks a major change in Reason's direction. I knew 11's RRP was the start, but 12 just really hammered it home. Oh well. To be frank, my anger and frustration is that after using Reason for 20 years, I don't want to have to learn a new DAW inside and out. I'm too old. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Raveshaper wrote:
13 Jun 2021
So many regulars have left this board it's like a graveyard of its former self. Scorched earth compared to just a couple years ago. I digress.
That's a bit dramatic. There's plenty of regulars still around here. What has happened is (due to 11 and RRP) there are a ton more new users whose main homebase is other DAW's. :thumbup:

I'm still a half-glass full sort of bloke. But as 12 goes through its 12.x cycle, I see me drinking from that cup more and more. Hopefully it won't be empty at some point.
If i would be RS, i would invest first in the rack since probably a lot of new customers just use the RRP and to please the majority, you need to invest in the rack.

On a long term run, i would also invest into the sequencer and add a few unique features, to make it interesting for the RRP users to use the sequencer too.

And since the gfx are overhauled atm, i dont think we are too far away from an improvement in the sequencer - it just doesnt make it into the 12 release, that also makes sense, since you cannot develop 3 years and than release something...

If i should make a guess:
* R12 mainly rack with zooming (damn, i just dreamed last night, that i could zoom an individual RE :shock: )
* R12.3 VST3 support only in the DAW
* R12.5 some fixes, and grouping in the sequencer
* R13+ VST3 in the RRP and maybe some honky-tonky features to "Combinate" the sh!t out of the VSTs in the RRP
** And maybe some front cabling in the RRP
** Maybe the pitch editor and slice editor in the RRP

To make a guess for R+, i think they develop it further into a content and inspiration platform with some unique addons for the R+ platform only, maybe some Players, RE or other features...
Reason12, Win10

avasopht
Competition Winner

14 Jun 2021

I want to see Reason grow.

I want to not want to use other DAWs.

But I'm on the fence.

Maybe they made a mistake with Record. Sure APE and the ReCycle features are great. But maybe that could have been handled with a device, and Record could have been RRP instead.

I think it might have brought in much more users - especially with SSL rack devices and REs from way back in 2009 (pretty sure LLVM was usable back then).

The reason I say this is because RRP is a kick-ass VST insert effect, and I do wonder how things would have panned out if they continued to focus more on the rack as a plugin, and added the recording afterwards (plus we'd have skipped the whole Line6 thing).

kbard

14 Jun 2021

Loque wrote:
14 Jun 2021

* R13+ VST3 in the RRP and maybe some honky-tonky features to "Combinate" the sh!t out of the VSTs in the RRP
Wait, not speaking about VST3, I get that - but haven't they already said in the video that Reason 12 will feature a improved Combinator.

Perhaps I understood it wrong but the way I understood it is that the new Combinator will be vastly expanded, users will be able to add their own custom controls on it and control "the sh!t out of the VSTs" and RE's obviously.

Perhaps I am wrong but their person said something like this in the video itself?

Loque

14 Jun 2021

kbard wrote:
14 Jun 2021
Loque wrote:
14 Jun 2021

Wait, not speaking about VST3, I get that - but haven't they already said in the video that Reason 12 will feature a improved Combinator.

Perhaps I understood it wrong but the way I understood it is that the new Combinator will be vastly expanded, users will be able to add their own custom controls on it and control "the sh!t out of the VSTs" and RE's obviously.

Perhaps I am wrong but their person said something like this in the video itself?
There will be a new/improved Combinator in R12.
I was thinking about some special gimmicks for VSTs in the RRP. Maybe some build LFO, Envelope follower, band splitter,...
Reason12, Win10

DaveyG

14 Jun 2021

kbard wrote:
14 Jun 2021
Loque wrote:
14 Jun 2021

The subtle detail is that the RRP will not host VSTs so any combinator you create in the standalone that uses a VST will not load in RRP. We presume that will be the same for the new combinator (but we'd like to be wrong!)

chimp_spanner

14 Jun 2021

DaveyG wrote:
14 Jun 2021
kbard wrote:
14 Jun 2021

The subtle detail is that the RRP will not host VSTs so any combinator you create in the standalone that uses a VST will not load in RRP. We presume that will be the same for the new combinator (but we'd like to be wrong!)
I've seen conflicting things about VSTs in the rack. I think if the focus is to shift towards RRP then it would only make sense to give it VST support. I mean it would make Players a whole bunch more useful for a start!

Oberlai

14 Jun 2021

To Reason team: Please adress/include the following options in the new sampler (and why not the old samplers too):

So in R10 you have forward and ping-pong loop modes. Would like an option to, upon key-release, exit loop mode and just play the sample until its end.

Secondly when finding a good loop point, moving the marker/flag, you have to release the mouse button to hear the change. Please make it so you can just move it around and hear the result directly/realtime without releasing the mouse button every single time.

Cheers :)

orthodox
RE Developer

14 Jun 2021

Loque wrote:
14 Jun 2021
I believe, VSTs will never be supported inside of RRP. Merely a guess based on technical outlook.

RoryM0

14 Jun 2021

Oberlai wrote:
14 Jun 2021
So in R10 you have forward and ping-pong loop modes. Would like an option to, upon key-release, exit loop mode and just play the sample until its end.
I could be wrong but isn't this FW-SUS mode in NN-XT?

AnotherMathias

14 Jun 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
14 Jun 2021
Oberlai wrote:
14 Jun 2021
I could be wrong but isn't this FW-SUS mode in NN-XT?
Yup, that's been there all along in NN-XT.
It's also really handy for triggering release samples. Bring in the samples as usual, set them to FW-SUS, and set both the loop start and loop end at zero. At a key sown it will loop between zero and zero (silence), until you let go of the key, when it'll play the sample. (make sure the amp release is long enough to hear it)

RoryM0

14 Jun 2021

Edin_16 wrote:
14 Jun 2021
The new high resolution looks really beautiful in the DAW, an really awesome work of reasonstudios. (-:

Thanks listening to this request!
I'm really looking forward to Reason looking crisp. Actually I honestly think I'm looking forward to HD Reason more than I am the sampler or updated combinator :P

thefixr

14 Jun 2021

With the new Combinator coming I am looking forward to creating a slew of Pulsar based synths.

The goal will be to use Pulsars as the oscillators, modulation sources and envelope gates, along with stock effect and pattern devices. I've created 16 Pulsar based Combinator patches in the past but they always lacked a lot of the controllability that I was hoping to have. Most of them end up combining a lot of controls into a single knob or button (ie. I would combine the filter cutoff, resonance, Pulsar shuffle and even Phase into 1 knob - which would sound cool, but controlling them apart would be nice too).

Perhaps I will start creating refills based on these patches.
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

EnochLight

14 Jun 2021

Loque wrote:
14 Jun 2021
If i would be RS, i would invest first in the rack since probably a lot of new customers just use the RRP and to please the majority, you need to invest in the rack.
The bizarre thing is - Mattias himself is the one who pushed for VST support inside of Reason DAW proper when he took over as Product Manager back in Reason 9 (those actions alone kept me in Reason). As recent as 6 months ago, during the Reason+ Livestream, he actually stated - and I quote:

"..We're still committed to making Reason is good as possible, and if - you know - the majority of people are using the DAW, at which - SPOILER ALERT - THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE ARE STILL USING THE DAW - we're definitely going to want to make you really happy..."

He says it at the 1 hour 17 minute mark here:

So, Reason+ launched since then. I can't imagine the majority of users suddenly shifting to RRP only in the 5 months since it launched - certainly not giving RS enough time to change the trajectory for what was planned for Reason 12, so this begs the question:

WHY IN THE F$%K WOULD THEY NOT ADD MORE CORE SEQUENCER/REASON DAW FEATURES AT THE LAUNCH OF 12??!!!

I just find it strange. And as a Reason+ subscriber, I doubt my intent to keep paying for it. :puf_unhappy:

OK, I'll stop now. I've beat the dead horse so much it's unrecognizable at this point. :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Billy+

14 Jun 2021

He also said vst2.4 midi was getting done
viewtopic.php?p=537130#p537130

[me]
When will we get fully supported vst2 midi, that's all I've wanted since Reason 9.5?
Is it even on the list of todos

[Mathis]
It's definitely on the list of todos, but I can't say when. Got a lot of stuff lined up for Reason!

But I'm not holding out much hope that it's going to be in v12, just like I wouldn't expect vst3 partially working let alone inside cmbv2 in RRP!

avasopht
Competition Winner

14 Jun 2021

EnochLight wrote:
14 Jun 2021
So, Reason+ launched since then. I can't imagine the majority of users suddenly shifting to RRP only in the 5 months since it launched - certainly not giving RS enough time to change the trajectory for what was planned for Reason 12, so this begs the question:

WHY IN THE F$%K WOULD THEY NOT ADD MORE CORE SEQUENCER/REASON DAW FEATURES AT THE LAUNCH OF 12??!!!

I just find it strange. And as a Reason+ subscriber, I doubt my intent to keep paying for it. :puf_unhappy:
I can only guess/hope that it's because they've been working on something big for the past few years. I've seen a major feature overhaul on this scale being mature in development years before it made it to release.

And my money is on an overhaul rather than them seeking to add features to the current UI. I'll even bet my upcoming Grammy on it 😎

That might also explain why ReGroove was never updated and my beats still sound flat 🤔🤔🤔

Billy+

14 Jun 2021

EnochLight wrote:
14 Jun 2021

as a Reason+ subscriber, I doubt my intent to keep paying for it. :puf_unhappy:
You already had 11 suite that left Friktion Mutator and Algorithm, what made you subscribe rather than rent to own for the extra devices?

m.arthur

14 Jun 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
14 Jun 2021

I've seen conflicting things about VSTs in the rack. I think if the focus is to shift towards RRP then it would only make sense to give it VST support. I mean it would make Players a whole bunch more useful for a start!
But you can already use the Players with third-party / non-reason instruments -- you just insert the Reason Rack before the instrument VST (in your DAW channel), load a Player inside it, and use the new-ish MIDI Out device. Bam, you can power any VST instrument you own with any Reason player....

It would be more convenient if you could load the VSTs inside the rack itself, sure, but the ability to use Players with non-Reason devices has already been around for a year or so (whenever it was they introduced the Midi Out device).

Tinnitus

14 Jun 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
21 May 2021
I absolutely hated my Nektar P1. The maps were all over the place. I sold it, bought a cheapo Korg Nanokontrol and just remote overide the stuff I want to tweak. Much happier.
That's really interesting as I have the Korg nanokontrol and we'd thinking of going to the P1 or t4 (for the upgraded key bed into my current synth).
Didn't pooh Bear create a series of maps for this?

thefixr

15 Jun 2021

Oberlai wrote:
14 Jun 2021
To Reason team: Please adress/include the following options in the new sampler (and why not the old samplers too):

NN-XT does this if you use FW-SUS as the Play Mode. I think James Bernard showed this in one of the 52 Reason/Record tips but I can't find the video.
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

• Information