Reason 12 is coming!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Aquila

20 May 2021

The weird thing is I can't participate in the current beta program due to only having v10, so I hope I'll get a proper invite for this one.

joeyluck

20 May 2021

Skimrok wrote:
20 May 2021
Skimrok wrote:
20 May 2021
if any user which upgraded to suite 11 and fancied 12 normal licence when it comes and upgraded , say if you wanted to leave reason or sell on to another user , am i right in thinking the suite 11 and 12 would be connected and all would transfer at once, ie you don't lose the suite because you upgraded to 12 afterwards :?:
anybody? :thumbup:
Not sure if I'm following, but yes, whatever version you upgrade from will be tied to your R12 upgrade.

Skimrok

20 May 2021

joeyluck wrote:
20 May 2021
Skimrok wrote:
20 May 2021

anybody? :thumbup:
Not sure if I'm following, but yes, whatever version you upgrade from will be tied to your R12 upgrade.
sorry I'm not the best with words grammar at times but that's answered my question thank you :thumbup:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

helmutson

20 May 2021

Same here ... Reason 12 Beta ... :clap: :puf_smile:

VIVIsect

20 May 2021

Not sure where to ask this, and I don't want to make a new thread, so I'll ask here: I have a Reason Lite license and a Reason Essentials license in my account. I'm going to buy the upgrade from Essentials/Lite to 11. Does anyone know if I can choose which license to apply the update to? I want to upgrade Lite, since I got it for free, and sell Essentials and recoup some of what I paid for it. Afraid that if I register the upgrade it'll automatically just get applied to Essentials. Thanks.

Skimrok

20 May 2021

VIVIsect wrote:
20 May 2021
Not sure where to ask this, and I don't want to make a new thread, so I'll ask here: I have a Reason Lite license and a Reason Essentials license in my account. I'm going to buy the upgrade from Essentials/Lite to 11. Does anyone know if I can choose which license to apply the update to? I want to upgrade Lite, since I got it for free, and sell Essentials and recoup some of what I paid for it. Afraid that if I apply the upgrade it'll automatically just get applied to Essentials. Thanks.
unauthorise Essentials on your account b4 applying the upgrade so it goes to lite because that be the one which is Live Authorize

make sure lite is the only one linked to a computer in other words ,
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

electrofux

21 May 2021

Catblack wrote:
17 May 2021
I think I might upgrade.

That's a pretty big thing to say. I've been spending all my money on eurorack modules (doing diy and building lots) and now I've got so many I have a surplus. But I've been reviewing a lot of my old Reason song files when I hooked my backup hard drive up to archive the last two years and now I'm craving reintegrating Reason with my modular.

Reason 11 was never worth it for me. I still wish the sequencer was beefed up more than the rack. I've got 20 years of refills and combinators. I've almost 400 rack extensions. I don't need more sounds in the rack. But hi-rez and zoomable would be nice as my eyes have gotten old.

Ideally, this advice would be heeded in Reason12. TLDR: It's a suggestion to have a popup window that displays your remotable items which would show you on screen what your midi device's knobs were controlling with whatever had focus. A bit like Novation's Automap does. I'd looked into Automap's Remote interface about 3 years ago and worked out how to make something similar in function for a variety of controllers, but I'd decided that it was too much trouble to code. (Plus I'd just had another kid, so very busy with life.)

But I mention this because it's still the biggest major disconnect in using Reason to it's fullest for everybody -- What does each control on my midi keyboard change on whichever rack extension has focus currently? There are too many midi controllers out there for Reason Studios to hope each writes their own Remote codec. There are some fan made ones and most midi controllers can use the generic. The easiest solution to the frustration with them all is a popup window that shows you what's mapped to what.

(I should also say that in my opinion the Remote format for scripting codecs in Lua and their related Remotemaps -- which was released back in 2003 I think -- is actually quite wonderful and works well.)

Beyond that suggestion though, the idea of a new combinator as it's been described makes me dread that existential disconnect of Knob On Screen vs Knob On Controller even more. The solution of a popup window to display it seems to me the only solution.

Or to put it another way, how many of us over the years have opened Remotemaps so we could figure out what our midi controllers were controlling? I can't be the only one. Of course some of those remotemaps are getting pretty large with 400 rack extensions and more each month. (Neverminding the community effort many years ago by Koshdukai and others to actually compile them into one place. It wasn't until Reason 10 that you could export remotables!)

So Reason Studios, if you really, really want to improve the Reason rack work on this one (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ 'in frustration that every user* is feeling constantly. And do it before the new combinator makes things worse!

*with a non-Nektar controller
I have overcome this controller issue in a rather coding heavy and super individual way. I have combined my Doepfer Pocket Dial (soon Midifighter twister) with a launchpad mini MK3 in a single codec. The Mini shows the available banks per device and color codes the pads to represent whats in there (red is allways oscillators, green allways filter and blue allways modulation, purple allways fx etc.). Now the twister could then color code the knobs in a given bank - not sure if my brain can adapt to two level colorcoding lol. In the absence of a twister i added another Midi out to my codec which sends information about all controls to an Ipad/Iphone with a Lemur template. So i effectively i got a small but super versatile display.
To me this is next to perfect and i am waiting for the day when the Novation Circuit becomes a programmable Midi controller as this thing would be the totally compact controller powerhouse (the knobs are super nice).

Yonatan

21 May 2021

I cant be the only one who would love to be able to try out R+ until R12 are being released 1st of September?
I mean, now you only have the option to do 20/month or 139/year.

But for us on R11, many I guess would love the ability to get 3 months 50% off so we could join the R+ train and RS makes some extra cash and a goodwill gesture for us who probably want to buy the perpetual license, but still would love to test the new tools. bit in advance.

And at release, make it €99, so that we in total with the 3 extra months, add up to maximum €129. I think that would be ok.

Would that not be a good summer deal?

At least I could see how that could be accepted by most users.

joeyluck

21 May 2021

Yonatan wrote:
21 May 2021
I cant be the only one who would love to be able to try out R+ until R12 are being released 1st of September?
I mean, now you only have the option to do 20/month or 139/year.

But for us on R11, many I guess would love the ability to get 3 months 50% off so we could join the R+ train and RS makes some extra cash and a goodwill gesture for us who probably want to buy the perpetual license, but still would love to test the new tools. bit in advance.

And at release, make it €99, so that we in total with the 3 extra months, add up to maximum €129. I think that would be ok.

Would that not be a good summer deal?

At least I could see how that could be accepted by most users.
Have you used your 30 day trial yet? That 90 day free trial promotion through Splice might still be available?

Catblack

21 May 2021

electrofux wrote:
21 May 2021
Catblack wrote:
17 May 2021

Ideally, this advice would be heeded in Reason12. TLDR: It's a suggestion to have a popup window that displays your remotable items which would show you on screen what your midi device's knobs were controlling with whatever had focus. A bit like Novation's Automap does. I'd looked into Automap's Remote interface about 3 years ago and worked out how to make something similar in function for a variety of controllers, but I'd decided that it was too much trouble to code. (Plus I'd just had another kid, so very busy with life.)
I have overcome this controller issue in a rather coding heavy and super individual way. I have combined my Doepfer Pocket Dial (soon Midifighter twister) with a launchpad mini MK3 in a single codec. The Mini shows the available banks per device and color codes the pads to represent whats in there (red is allways oscillators, green allways filter and blue allways modulation, purple allways fx etc.). Now the twister could then color code the knobs in a given bank - not sure if my brain can adapt to two level colorcoding lol. In the absence of a twister i added another Midi out to my codec which sends information about all controls to an Ipad/Iphone with a Lemur template. So i effectively i got a small but super versatile display.
To me this is next to perfect and i am waiting for the day when the Novation Circuit becomes a programmable Midi controller as this thing would be the totally compact controller powerhouse (the knobs are super nice).
About 5 years ago I was working on Remote codecs for a whole slew of controllers. It was kind of fun to map out dj controllers to mod and pitch and stuff like that. Fun figuring out hidden sysex commands. I've got a box full of them now. You know I've admired what you've been able to do, electrofux. But
IMG_20170724_040959545.jpg
IMG_20170724_040959545.jpg (359.59 KiB) Viewed 8723 times
I realized that the way forward was to code something up that would let you see what your controller is mapped to as you cruise around the rack. Most people don't even know there's a remotable for next device in there. Yeah, they could be navigating the rack from their midi controllers! But if that remotable isn't used in a remotemap no one knows it's even possible.

I ended up with a used Novation SL mk2. Automap is surprisingly flexible in displaying Remotables inside it's application window. That window is just a chromium webapp (an open source offshoot of Google's Chrome browser, forgive me I don't have all my notes in front of me.) I started looking into a way to build something similar except for different controllers, also using a cross platform webapp for the display window and webmidi to pass things back and forth. The Novation guys discuss how they did it on their blog about 8 years ago, I think. I learn by giving myself projects, so I was digging in and making a lot of notes on how to do this. Then I had a kid, then two, and no time.

My frustrations are not due to all of this controller programming, but rather how hidden away the remotables are from your midi controller. Even in the demo videos that Reason puts out, it's always a mouse moving one control at a time. I keep referring to this as an existential disconnect because the Remotables exist! It's a wonderful spec, an amazing technology! It's right there but you can't see it from the front end of the program!

Look, I've made some great tracks back so long ago where I just rocked the dials on my controller. But with every new rack extension there's a new map of controls that must be learned. But no one does, of course. It's all hunting around for a dial on the screen, tweaking that, then tweaking this and maybe if you are feeling super productive you'll record your tweaking the first thing and then go back and record your tweaking the second thing and all because you can't figure out in the immediacy of your creation what those two things are mapped to on your controller.

As an aside -- That's if whatever RE is mapped at all. The only reason the little screens on Nektar controllers are any use still is due to Carly's generosity in keeping their remotemaps updated.

I know, I'm yelling HOLYFUCK we need this feature a lot the past few days. I really hope Reason Studios is listening. My big fear is that they are thinking that the new combinator is going to just use some display overlay like Remote Edit Override Mode to show you what's mapped. But it needs to be a popup that shows you at a glance what's mapped. (Perhaps a 2 column editable spreadsheet-y thing with a tab for the Main scope and a tab for the scope[device] you are in.) This is something I've felt was needed for a decade, but I feel I must convince the other users we need. Because if we don't, a new combinator is just going to be used one mouse click at a time.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

dhruan

21 May 2021

Catblack, you know what? That disconnect that you are speaking of, is what makes hardware synths and devices, and especially hardware with "knob per function" so appealing. Thanks for sharing, that is really interesting! :)
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

avasopht
Competition Winner

21 May 2021

There needs to be a few standards for devices to allow for more automatic mapping.

For example, if a controller has a row of knobs, automapping could assign one knob for switching between sections, and the rest could control knobs within that group. There could even be a tiny display above each device to state which controls you've just selected with the knob.

There could also be standard interface forms, for example, devices could offer full support for any device with the form of 4+ knobs and 4 buttons. You could then map sections of your device to a particular form, so if your keyboard has 8 knobs and 8 buttons, they could operate as two distinct interfaces to operate a single device with their own current "page" of control groups.

That is only one way for standard interfaces. If a little thought was put into standardizing and simplifying device controlling, new hardware would be much easier to support out of the box. You could even have a feature where you "train" Reason to recognize knobs on a device that has never been mapped before that would allow Reason to now automatically map that controller for full device control.

Catblack

21 May 2021

avasopht wrote:
21 May 2021
There needs to be a few standards for devices to allow for more automatic mapping.

For example, if a controller has a row of knobs, automapping could assign one knob for switching between sections, and the rest could control knobs within that group. There could even be a tiny display above each device to state which controls you've just selected with the knob.

There could also be standard interface forms, for example, devices could offer full support for any device with the form of 4+ knobs and 4 buttons. You could then map sections of your device to a particular form, so if your keyboard has 8 knobs and 8 buttons, they could operate as two distinct interfaces to operate a single device with their own current "page" of control groups.

That is only one way for standard interfaces. If a little thought was put into standardizing and simplifying device controlling, new hardware would be much easier to support out of the box. You could even have a feature where you "train" Reason to recognize knobs on a device that has never been mapped before that would allow Reason to now automatically map that controller for full device control.
I agree with what you say here. But I am only asking Reason Studios to give us something very simple in the form of a popup window that we can use or not. Having that be editable and save-able is something that would be nice. Having the ability to add new REs would be amazing as well.

But my feature request (as loud as it is) is just for a simple popup window to show data the program already has. Take a look internally. Roll it out in beta. Give it to Reason+ first. People will use it and be thankful.

Damn.

PhillipOrdonez

21 May 2021

Skimrok wrote:
20 May 2021
joeyluck wrote:
20 May 2021

sorry I'm not the best with words grammar at times but that's answered my question thank you :thumbup:
From what I gathered from your post, I don't think you could keep the suite devices and 12 and sell suite to somebody else whilst retaining the suite devices and Reason 12

DaveyG

21 May 2021

avasopht wrote:
21 May 2021
Standardisation would be great but it's way too late. If the committee that defined the MIDI CC list had put more thought into synthesisers rather than pianos and general purpose stuff we could have had standard CC allocations for, say three oscillators, a filter, an ADSR envelope and an LFO which could have given us out of the box control of the main stuff in most hard and soft synths. We'd still have to manually map the other controls but the main stuff would just work and the hardware controllers we buy could have the knobs labelled with those functions. Way too late though and MIDI 2.0 does not solve the problem either.

The closest we can get now is with the Komplete S series keyboards and with soft synths that provide NKS libraries. It's a joy to use such a combination but NKS support is far from universal, especially from third party patch designers, and some of the really big players are blanking NKS because they don't want to support an NI initiative.

Anyone remember the Novation Remote series of keyboards?
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/novation-remote-25
They came with loads of pre-printed strips of card that slotted into place above the knobs and sliders to match specific synths in several DAWs, including Reason. The trouble was that there were several banks of controls, and thus bits of card, even for a simple synth like Subtractor.

And I'm starting to ramble now but does anyone remember the Keyfax Phatboy?
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ke ... e-phat-boy
It felt like the very height of sophistication back then and I partnered it with Rebirth for some proper knobby action. I genuinely don't know what became of mine. I don't remember parting with it but I know I don't have it any longer. :?

The point is that, despite 20+ years of trying, no-one has ever solved the problem of making a hardware controller that can easily control all manner of soft synths.

strange_scenery

21 May 2021

Catblack wrote:
21 May 2021
Even in the demo videos that Reason puts out, it's always a mouse moving one control at a time.
Not saying I disagree with your point, but almost all synth/DAW tutorial/demo videos show controls being moved by the mouse because it makes it easier for the viewer to see what is being modified, otherwise you have to go back in post and draw circles or arrows.

qn5

21 May 2021

avasopht wrote:
17 May 2021
Heigen5 wrote:
17 May 2021

Can you tell what was fixed in the browser, please?
I'm assuming the browser search won't be as excruciatingly slow given the new dynamic search feature (otherwise the feature wouldn't really work).
The browser is BRUTALLY slow. Even on SSDs.
At this point, I just use windows explorer and drag/drop.
QN5 MUSIC
qn5.com

enossified

21 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
21 May 2021
The closest we can get now is with the Komplete S series keyboards
You're forgetting Nektar...

avasopht
Competition Winner

21 May 2021

enossified wrote:
21 May 2021
DaveyG wrote:
21 May 2021
The closest we can get now is with the Komplete S series keyboards
You're forgetting Nektar...

... there's also the Akai Advance

SebAudio

21 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
21 May 2021
The point is that, despite 20+ years of trying, no-one has ever solved the problem of making a hardware controller that can easily control all manner of soft synths.
I think it’s not even for tomorrow. I’ve tried several times to map parameters on hw controllers and have come to the conclusion they can only be used for « performance » control with some knobs tied to « macro » controls provided or not by the soft synth (look at Arturia for examples of what I mean)

Jackjackdaw

21 May 2021

I absolutely hated my Nektar P1. The maps were all over the place. I sold it, bought a cheapo Korg Nanokontrol and just remote overide the stuff I want to tweak. Much happier.

avasopht
Competition Winner

21 May 2021

SebAudio wrote:
21 May 2021
DaveyG wrote:
21 May 2021
I think it’s not even for tomorrow. I’ve tried several times to map parameters on hw controllers and have come to the conclusion they can only be used for « performance » control with some knobs tied to « macro » controls provided or not by the soft synth (look at Arturia for examples of what I mean)
That's only because no initiative has been taken to standardize controllers for DAWs.

It's hardly rocket science.

8 knobs and 8 buttons can be handled in a standard way.

Many keyboards have the exact same profile. Just different MIDI codes.

Catblack

21 May 2021

qn5 wrote:
21 May 2021
avasopht wrote:
17 May 2021

I'm assuming the browser search won't be as excruciatingly slow given the new dynamic search feature (otherwise the feature wouldn't really work).
The browser is BRUTALLY slow. Even on SSDs.
At this point, I just use windows explorer and drag/drop.
Back in the early days of Reason, you could click on a folder in the browser and get up and make a sandwich, eat it, come back and still wait for it to finish. And that was just the factory soundbank :refill:

Damn.

Skimrok

21 May 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
21 May 2021
Skimrok wrote:
20 May 2021

From what I gathered from your post, I don't think you could keep the suite devices and 12 and sell suite to somebody else whilst retaining the suite devices and Reason 12
sorry that's not what I was trying to say i totally get that cant be done, its more if i wanted to give up Reason while having suite 11 and 12 the lot can be transferred in one go if i did down the line , i was curious just in case 12 totally wipes out suite 11 when you upgrade to 12 ,

PhillipOrdonez

21 May 2021

Skimrok wrote:
21 May 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
21 May 2021

sorry that's not what I was trying to say i totally get that cant be done, its more if i wanted to give up Reason while having suite 11 and 12 the lot can be transferred in one go if i did down the line , i was curious just in case 12 totally wipes out suite 11 when you upgrade to 12 ,
Interesting, but that would assume anyone on suite upgrading to 12 would lose the suite Res. The license would become 12 and all the suite Res would remain in the account, and iirc, those cannot be transferred. 🤔

• Information