Hardware vs Software

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Goriila Texas

25 Jan 2023

:mrgreen:

EnochLight wrote:
25 Jan 2023
Goriila Texas wrote:
25 Jan 2023
No software hasn't lol.

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2023

Goriila Texas wrote:
25 Jan 2023
The filters are digital maybe it's the converters because the MOSS board I have in it also sounds good.
Auto-gain control and soft clipping are pretty cheap to add to a device. That would add a fair amount of warmth when driven hot.

I found DJ gear tended to add a pleasing warmth.

But you can add that yourself if you really want it. At least that way you get to control what it's applied to.

What did you think of the valve in the Triton Extreme VST?

homemadenoise

26 Jan 2023

We are lucky that both hardware and software are so good these days. And there is good relatively affordable hardware. I mostly use software. It is quicker and easier and more powerful.

But I have gotten more into hardware in recent years. Simply because I like it. It more tactile and fun. Get me away from screen and breaks me out of that box. And there are more happy accidents. I am trying to only trying to do 1 knob per function gear. Just to make it more simple and immediate. And I don't want to be Menu diving on hardware.

Both together is really fun and creative place. Go hybrid.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2023

I use everything ITB nowadays. I had some synths and a roland sequencer in the 90/2000's but once i got reason i got rid of them.
And when i started producing my own stuff, i mixed mostly ITB, apart from a bit of an hybrid approach about eq'ing and compression with some outboard gear. However i then turned to some uad stuff in cubase, then when reason got audio i ditched it too because i really dig reason's mixer and i get along with the eq and comp. So, since 2010 i think most of my outboard gear was already pre-amps and phone amps. Synths and samplers are now all in Reason and VSTs.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2023

homemadenoise wrote:
26 Jan 2023
We are lucky that both hardware and software are so good these days. And there is good relatively affordable hardware. I mostly use software. It is quicker and easier and more powerful.

But I have gotten more into hardware in recent years. Simply because I like it. It more tactile and fun. Get me away from screen and breaks me out of that box. And there are more happy accidents. I am trying to only trying to do 1 knob per function gear. Just to make it more simple and immediate. And I don't want to be Menu diving on hardware.

Both together is really fun and creative place. Go hybrid.
I understand the tactile thing, but i complemented it with controller surfaces, it's not completely the same but it's a good option.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2023

Software Synths. Hardware guitars.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

crimsonwarlock

26 Jan 2023

I'm basically completely ITB, but I still have some old hardware lying around that I want to hook up again. Mainly some old FX racks and stomp boxes, but also some rack synths. I do have a microphone channel strip, though, that I use for all vocal recordings.

I also have a CME UF5 midi keyboard with a Waldorf Pico board in it (I got that for a tenner because they didn't sell anymore :D ). I want to sample the Pico, as the UF5 has no midi in, so there is no way to sequence the darn thing :lol:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

RobC

26 Jan 2023

I think, I still want a Microkorg even after 16 years! x D Yeah, I've heard there's a VST now.

motuscott

26 Jan 2023

If we could only replace real live drumbers with hardware/software/random kitchen machinery.
Then and only then, can we move forward.
Fight me
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Creativemind

26 Jan 2023

Hardware has the edge in texture and dunno, just something about it, a smoothness and warmth imo.

There's something missing with software, like the 303 just has a smudginess to it although never used hardware extensively enough to know, just what I hear when I compare old tracks on You Tube and stuff through headphones comparing VST's to tracks I like. ReBirth certainly did a superb job though.

One VST everyone always rates as identical to it's hardware counterpart, the Korg M1 still has something missing, a slight lushness and texture and the classic house piano sounds thin on the VST. You can definitely tell in Woody Piano Shack comparison video here:-

I'm currently collecting hardware to create an old skool house EP late this year or next. I have a 32 channel Behringer Eurodesk, a Behringer MS-1, a Behringer TD-3, a Novation A-Station, a Novation Drum Station and just about to start assembling a Nava 909. Next is a Korg M1 or Korg M1R and an Akai S950 then I'm set. When I played the A-Station through my desk a few weeks ago, straight away, I was like wow, yeah, hardware beats software.

You can definitely hear the texture difference in another highly acclaimed VST you'd probably want for acid techno, Audio Realism Bass Line 3 vs TB-303 too:-

Last edited by Creativemind on 26 Jan 2023, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

26 Jan 2023

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
14 Nov 2018
Loque wrote:
14 Nov 2018

Than it's no Acid.
Then you can’t make acid using Reason... what a lame genre Acid then is. Only for purists I guess...
Yeah you can but it's how good you want it to sound and if you wanna get as close to the original genre's quality and texture in it's production as possible.

Creativemind

26 Jan 2023

Loque wrote:
15 Nov 2018
come1 wrote:
15 Nov 2018
Yes but I want to burst out onto the scene!!! Make an impact, shake things up. I think I need some serious hardware to do this. I tried Reason but all my tracks flopped, no DJ would play them because they sounded so lame.

What synth should I start with? Maybe a Mini Moog right? Or should I get and 808 and 303?

Where is Tijn at these days?
In that case...as usual...dont blame the tools ;-)
I'm sorry but it's that same old line every producer says on every forum but watch the video link I shared above and you will hear (or should) that even the Bass Line 3 doesn't have the same magic as a real hardware 303.

miscend

26 Jan 2023

Neither is better than the other. In opinion workflow considerations matter more than sound quality. So choose whatever is more inspiring.

Hardware can break the monotony of being in front of a computer screen for several hours. It's also fun to work using a different workflow that imposes hard limitations on you, that forces you to think differently and is maybe creatively rewarding in a different way. Unlike most Reason users I started learning hardware only after I learned to use computer DAWs and trackers. Some of the best dance music was made with Akai samplers. The best hiphop beats were made with 12 bit samplers with limited sampling memory.

Creativemind

26 Jan 2023

miscend wrote:
26 Jan 2023
Neither is better than the other. In opinion workflow considerations matter more than sound quality. So choose whatever is more inspiring.

Hardware can break the monotony of being in front of a computer screen for several hours. It's also fun to work using a different workflow that imposes hard limitations on you, that forces you to think differently and is maybe creatively rewarding in a different way. Unlike most Reason users I started learning hardware only after I learned to use computer DAWs and trackers. Some of the best dance music was made with Akai samplers. The best hiphop beats were made with 12 bit samplers with limited sampling memory.
Yeah they were. Some of my favourite house tracks have probably tons of samples played through an S950. Especially some drum breaks / loops or the 727 but somehow they still sound amazing sampled through the S950. Find 727 samples (16 bit stereo wav samples) and put them through the NN-XT and they don't shine like that.

Arpeg
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2023

RobC wrote:
26 Jan 2023
I think, I still want a Microkorg even after 16 years! x D Yeah, I've heard there's a VST now.
There was a Microkorg Live show from KORG on YouTube not too long ago.. (Video below) I wanted microkorg 20 years ago but went with the Korg MS2000 B with goose neck Mic. The Vocoder is very good but Rolands VP550 is better tbh.
As for mangling sounds it was brilliant then and still is today although only 4 polyphony but was a spin off or a new hyped up version of MS-20 (monopoly), I guess.
I just recently opened it up for the first time to give it a clean after 20 years and, luckily, the circuit board looks shiny and immaculate.. I was a bit stunned and relieved to see it in it a very good state. The device works perfectly but is not in use at the mo
Easy

motuscott

27 Jan 2023

Got a S950 somewheres around here collecting dust.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Jac459

27 Jan 2023

I want to clarify something obvious but it seems some got confused about it.

The fact that software can produce as good and rich sound than hardware with the same quality is a given, we can debate if it is since 10 or 20 years but it is a fact. Done.

Now when some people are saying that their hardware synth sound better than the same VST, it is in fact ... absolutely possible and probably the case. But the reason is just the DAC they are using to listen to.
In one case they use professional DAC to connect the synth to a music interface.
In one case they may use the poor shitty DAC of their laptops ..
But that only impact the way they can listen to it. The final quality of the master is not affected by the DAC quality of the PC...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

dioxide

27 Jan 2023

Acid producer here. I've made countless acid tracks using classic 'Roland' sounds, all using Reason plus REs. Every time I've turned up to a gig with a laptop people are shocked as they thought it was all hardware. If there is any difference it is tiny and any labels, record buyers and club goers can't tell the difference. Never owned a real 303 and have no interest in doing so.

RobC

27 Jan 2023

Arpeg wrote:
26 Jan 2023
RobC wrote:
26 Jan 2023
There was a Microkorg Live show from KORG on YouTube not too long ago.. (Video below) I wanted microkorg 20 years ago but went with the Korg MS2000 B with goose neck Mic. The Vocoder is very good but Rolands VP550 is better tbh.
As for mangling sounds it was brilliant then and still is today although only 4 polyphony but was a spin off or a new hyped up version of MS-20 (monopoly), I guess.
I just recently opened it up for the first time to give it a clean after 20 years and, luckily, the circuit board looks shiny and immaculate.. I was a bit stunned and relieved to see it in it a very good state. The device works perfectly but is not in use at the mo
Easy
Man, that didn't make me want one any less x D - but I also was looking at the R3, Radias, and the blue Electribe, etc. I kind of wanted to make a hardware studio, but in the end, Reason's manual convinced me with that one line: Reason as a software can sound just as good (or better) as hardware.
I have no regrets going with hardware MIDI tools and software - but I still kind of want even a simple hardware studio.

I also see all these "new" Subtractor-like analog hardware synthesizers, but damn, there just isn't any synth like Subtractor.

Another synth I considered, was the Novation mininova (I think). Though not sure if it's as rock solid as Korg hardware. I have a Korg midi keyboard, and gave it a glass of cola on day 1, yet still works perfectly to this day! : ) (Unlike other keys)

mcatalao
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2023

mcatalao wrote:
26 Jan 2023
I use everything ITB nowadays. I had some synths and a roland sequencer in the 90/2000's but once i got reason i got rid of them.
And when i started producing my own stuff, i mixed mostly ITB, apart from a bit of an hybrid approach about eq'ing and compression with some outboard gear. However i then turned to some uad stuff in cubase, then when reason got audio i ditched it too because i really dig reason's mixer and i get along with the eq and comp. So, since 2010 i think most of my outboard gear was already pre-amps and phone amps. Synths and samplers are now all in Reason and VSTs.
Of course i still feel a real guitar sounds better than a vst, a real piano if well miked and recorded is a magical sound, and i still record all my flutes, melodica, harmonica's, bagpipe and loads of percussion - nothing can beat the organic and gritty feel of a real musician with a real instrument.

Creativemind

27 Jan 2023

motuscott wrote:
27 Jan 2023
Does it still work, where d'ya live and would you sell it?

Creativemind

27 Jan 2023

dioxide wrote:
27 Jan 2023
Acid producer here. I've made countless acid tracks using classic 'Roland' sounds, all using Reason plus REs. Every time I've turned up to a gig with a laptop people are shocked as they thought it was all hardware. If there is any difference it is tiny and any labels, record buyers and club goers can't tell the difference. Never owned a real 303 and have no interest in doing so.
If a track made using all software came on mixed into a track done before software took over (so a pre-millennium track next to a 2008 or later track) I'd argue you'd be able tell but that's just me.

Creativemind

27 Jan 2023

RobC wrote:
27 Jan 2023
Arpeg wrote:
26 Jan 2023

Easy
Man, that didn't make me want one any less x D - but I also was looking at the R3, Radias, and the blue Electribe, etc. I kind of wanted to make a hardware studio, but in the end, Reason's manual convinced me with that one line: Reason as a software can sound just as good (or better) as hardware.
I have no regrets going with hardware MIDI tools and software - but I still kind of want even a simple hardware studio.

I also see all these "new" Subtractor-like analog hardware synthesizers, but damn, there just isn't any synth like Subtractor.

Another synth I considered, was the Novation mininova (I think). Though not sure if it's as rock solid as Korg hardware. I have a Korg midi keyboard, and gave it a glass of cola on day 1, yet still works perfectly to this day! : ) (Unlike other keys)
I'm going with my hardware set up (eventually) triggered by Reaper and will probably use RRP / VST effects to begin with.

RobC

27 Jan 2023

Creativemind wrote:
27 Jan 2023
RobC wrote:
27 Jan 2023

I'm going with my hardware set up (eventually) triggered by Reaper and will probably use RRP / VST effects to begin with.
That's a combo I'm considering, too!

Though the hardware-only setup is inspiring in a unique way. Heck, even ReBirth with its limitations was already very inspiring.

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2023

motuscott wrote:
27 Jan 2023
I have a S900 with triggers floating around somewhere (I let someone borrow it years ago and can’t remember who…)!
Was my first (owned) sampler - my first sampler was the CMI, and I was able to re-sample my favorite custom samples from the CMI into the S900, then into NNXT 15 years later! Some of the samples started life as field recordings from a Sony F1, speaking of hardware…
Also have a Matrix 6 in the basement from the same time period, as well as a couple of PCM-70s i’ve been unable to keep running reliably over the years (display and power supply issues). Ahhh, hardware…
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information