Mimic: New Creative Sampler

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
RoryM0

14 Sep 2021

Reason Studios, please consider making it possible to dynamically select the sample slot in slice mode.

Perhaps using very low MIDI notes to switch between sample slots and/or CV. You can't even target the sample slot from a combinator at present.

Creativemind

17 Sep 2021

To be honest, just been using the NN-XT and for me, all's the NN-XT needed was a reskin (think the old skin looks tired and old lol!), built in tempo match with tempo detect, playing a sample up and down the keyboard without it speeding up or slowing down, automate the pitch bend range and a mod matrix adding and it would've done. Sure they could've done that in half the time it took to completely design and code a whole new sampler, then they could've added a handful of workflow features with the time left.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Oper-8

18 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
17 Sep 2021
all's the NN-XT needed was a reskin (think the old skin looks tired and old lol!),
You can always Combine² it and skin it like you want. "Pimp my NN-XT" !
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

Creativemind

18 Sep 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
17 Sep 2021
all's the NN-XT needed was a reskin (think the old skin looks tired and old lol!),
Good point. :thumbs_up:
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

selig
RE Developer

18 Sep 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
17 Sep 2021
But you can only control the parameters visible when the editor is closed, 11 parameters TOTAL!
So you'll still have to look at that skin for a little while longer if you're editing sounds in any way… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Oper-8

18 Sep 2021

Weird ! Why can't Combinator controls be mapped to any parameter for any device ?
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

aeox
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Weird ! Why can't Combinator controls be mapped to any parameter for any device ?
I think there is a limit in the SDK for how many parameters can be automatable. Could be wrong but that's what I heard a while back

artotaku

18 Sep 2021

aeox wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Oper-8 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
I think there is a limit in the SDK for how many parameters can be automatable. Could be wrong but that's what I heard a while back
Both C2 and NNXT are not REs and not limited by the SDK, so why do these native devices have a limitation? I guess the limitation stems from the sheer amount of parameters the NNXT has that exceeds the total number of available MIDI CCs (max 127). They could have exposed more than 11 but they just restricted it to that to make it consistent in their software design I guess. Quite interesting that they decided to go for workaround with the modulation parameters to control at least some of the parameters in the detail area of NNXT.
It´s the same issue as with the FX modules of Kong where some of them are also not exposed since Kong has quite a lot of parameters similar to NNXT.

RoryM0

20 Sep 2021

Eddi-16 wrote:
20 Sep 2021
Am I the only one who thinks that MIMIC has not enough contrast?
Agree. Needs to pop more.

cocoazenith

20 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
17 Sep 2021
To be honest, just been using the NN-XT and for me, all's the NN-XT needed was a reskin (think the old skin looks tired and old)
Indeed NN-XT is among the few legacy devices that is in dire need of a graphical rehaul.

miscend

22 Sep 2021

thx wrote:
13 Sep 2021
Sorry if this has been asked, but what does Mimic mimic?
You mimic/imitate an instrument when you sample it with a sampler.

SuryaDnB

22 Sep 2021

I complained that some parameters in Mimic can not be automated, but I was told there is a technical limitation that stops them from making the other ones automatable
Currently on Reason 12. Very disappointed with the updates in the last two versions.

Puniho

26 Sep 2021

SuryaDnB wrote:
22 Sep 2021
I complained that some parameters in Mimic can not be automated, but I was told there is a technical limitation that stops them from making the other ones automatable
What? Like loop on/ off for example?

The fact that you can’t have the combi change loop slots is a nuisance. It means that you have to have the devices open and scroll down to change the loop.

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2021

How are people getting on with this now?

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2021

artotaku wrote:
18 Sep 2021
aeox wrote:
18 Sep 2021

Both C2 and NNXT are not REs and not limited by the SDK, so why do these native devices have a limitation? I guess the limitation stems from the sheer amount of parameters the NNXT has that exceeds the total number of available MIDI CCs (max 127). They could have exposed more than 11 but they just restricted it to that to make it consistent in their software design I guess. Quite interesting that they decided to go for workaround with the modulation parameters to control at least some of the parameters in the detail area of NNXT.
It´s the same issue as with the FX modules of Kong where some of them are also not exposed since Kong has quite a lot of parameters similar to NNXT.
Thank you for the correction!

PhillipOrdonez

26 Sep 2021

Puniho wrote:
26 Sep 2021
SuryaDnB wrote:
22 Sep 2021

The fact that you can’t have the combi change loop slots is a nuisance. It means that you have to have the devices open and scroll down to change the loop.
I don't think mimic was meant to be used as a loop player anyway.

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
26 Sep 2021
Puniho wrote:
26 Sep 2021

Yea it really is not in my opinion. It excels in other areas.

Jackjackdaw

26 Sep 2021

I think then it should be much more integrated with Dr OctoRex. So when you start on something and realise you want to do something else with it you can just drag it over and be on your way. Like you can load Rex files into NNXT for example.

darkdogstudios

26 Sep 2021

aeox wrote:
26 Sep 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
26 Sep 2021

So what is it? I feel it's more like a creative loop player than a regular sampler.

The fact of not being able to automate the loop slots is a bit of a handicap for any sound designer. the only reason I can think of to prevent it's implementation, is that there must be some conflict with the different forms of time stretch used?

darkdogstudios

27 Sep 2021

Another handicap is that you cannot automate amp sustain. Attack decay and release, yes, but not sustain. With the loop function length set to minimum, it effectively freezes the sample and you can get some great swelling pad sounds with the sustain parameter, but you would presumably have to use rec source and record it as audio.

darkdogstudios

27 Sep 2021

It's ok... I just came up with a work around.... If you raise the release to infinity the loop keeps going, then you can play around with the l;oop length and the speed, and use the master volume for swells. Great fun!

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2021

darkdogstudios wrote:
26 Sep 2021
aeox wrote:
26 Sep 2021

So what is it? I feel it's more like a creative loop player than a regular sampler.

The fact of not being able to automate the loop slots is a bit of a handicap for any sound designer. the only reason I can think of to prevent it's implementation, is that there must be some conflict with the different forms of time stretch used?

In regard to "So what is it?" I never really thought about it that way, I just start using a device and figuring out how I can squeeze interesting sounds from it. I really have no idea what it's suppose to be, it is what it is I guess :D

There are lots of ways to get cool sounds from the device, regardless of how they meant for it to be used. (beat map player is a good example of that too)

Workarounds are always an option too :puf_smile:

SuryaDnB

28 Sep 2021

Puniho wrote:
26 Sep 2021
SuryaDnB wrote:
22 Sep 2021

Yes, and the mod amounts, many if not all of the stretch parameters...
Currently on Reason 12. Very disappointed with the updates in the last two versions.

StephenHutchinson

01 Oct 2021

I tend t make a lot of ambient music and use looping pad samples in a lot of my work. In Ableton Live, Bitwig, and FL Studio, these loops are seamless and work perfectly. I've spent a couple hours now trying to get some of these samples to loop in Mimic without the annoying click at the loop end point. It is highly annoying and honestly puts me right off.

I've tried every single type of Stretch mode, in all the variations, tried 10+ different loops, and then tried the various factory Mimic patches, and even did a Reset Device. Nothing works. Anyone have any idea of how to get rid of the annoying pops and clicks when in loop mode? Thanks in advance.
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

EnochLight

01 Oct 2021

StephenHutchinson wrote:
01 Oct 2021
I tend t make a lot of ambient music and use looping pad samples in a lot of my work. In Ableton Live, Bitwig, and FL Studio, these loops are seamless and work perfectly. I've spent a couple hours now trying to get some of these samples to loop in Mimic without the annoying click at the loop end point. It is highly annoying and honestly puts me right off.

I've tried every single type of Stretch mode, in all the variations, tried 10+ different loops, and then tried the various factory Mimic patches, and even did a Reset Device. Nothing works. Anyone have any idea of how to get rid of the annoying pops and clicks when in loop mode? Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately it's because the only stretch algorithm that has Zero Crosspoint adjustment is the "Tape" setting, and even that is pretty hard to adjust. This was brought up during beta testing, but RS didn't consider adding more X-Cross settings to the other stretch algo's before launch. Hoping they update Mimic, as it certainly could use the feature. In the meantime, in Mimic your only recourse is to use the "Tape" setting and adjust your actual sample begin time to eliminate the pop/click. Usually I can get a seamless drone/loop when I make my loop point anything after the start of the sample (with some massaging of the loop).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information