Mimic: New Creative Sampler

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 3756
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 12 Sep 2021

Funny how it sounds like the toxicity comes from those claiming it's a toxic place 😂

You never see most non trolling users saying anything even remotely similar 🤷‍♂️

Shadoww
Posts: 55
Joined: 27 Jan 2021

Post 12 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
12 Sep 2021
avasopht wrote:
12 Sep 2021
The place hasn't become toxic, but I do sense a slight increase in persistently antagonistic characters appearing recently.

Usually such people quickly break enough rules to be banned (and one or two eventually did), but now it's a bit more subtle
This I can totally agree with. We’ve had quite a few “new” users appear here in the last month that are clearly too comfortable around here, which almost always suggests it’s someone we banned before, or an existing forum member being crafty about creating another account. It’s very easy to tell from how they post. After someone gets banned so many times, they start to learn how to skirt the rules. We have ways of permanently banning but it’s only effective to a certain degree.

We’ll try to stay vigilant. As long as our long time forum members keep reporting posts and help steer some of our more “bipolar” members who have a breakdown, it helps a great deal. :thumbup:
I don’t know why a mod would say this? Being bipolar is a serious medical illness and isn’t something a forum should ‘stay vigilant’ about. I think it should be moderators role to implement the forum rules, not to speculate on forum members health. That’s for a professional to do.
Last edited by Shadoww on 12 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 3756
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 12 Sep 2021

They did use quotes. Is there a need to make a deal about that? Being a mod is not a job or anything, they are just like the rest of the users.

djadalaide
Posts: 234
Joined: 11 May 2018

Post 12 Sep 2021

CrunkNationEnt wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Does anyone know if Mimic has automated random slicing?
Randomized slicing (chops) that are not bound by beats or peaks.
Thanks.
I was reading the manual and found something interesting, in single playback mode it can snap to slice, in combination with that you can set randomize start position - i've not tried it myself yet but i think it is possible.

Shadoww
Posts: 55
Joined: 27 Jan 2021

Post 12 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Sep 2021
They did use quotes. Is there a need to make a deal about that? Being a mod is not a job or anything, they are just like the rest of the users.
Yes, I know they did use ‘quotes’. But the discussion was about how members are supposedly being toxic. I just think it’s best to keep name calling out of a forum especially if you trying to keep healthy debate from descending into a argument :thumbup:
Last edited by Shadoww on 12 Sep 2021, edited 2 times in total.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 3756
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 12 Sep 2021

djadalaide wrote:
12 Sep 2021
CrunkNationEnt wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Does anyone know if Mimic has automated random slicing?
Randomized slicing (chops) that are not bound by beats or peaks.
Thanks.
I was reading the manual and found something interesting, in single playback mode it can snap to slice, in combination with that you can set randomize start position - i've not tried it myself yet but i think it is possible.
Yes you can do that and you can set it so it is not bound by slices either, like the person you are responding to wants (because slices are set by transients) so it can totally be random both ways.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 3756
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 12 Sep 2021

Shadoww wrote:
12 Sep 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Sep 2021
They did use quotes. Is there a need to make a deal about that? Being a mod is not a job or anything, they are just like the rest of the users.
Yes, they did use quotes. But the discussion is about how members are supposedly being toxic. It’s best to keep name calling out of a forum. Whether it’s in jest or in quotes.
I imagine he refers to some users who appear normal and suddenly turn into phallus-like people when he said that?

I don't know, anyways, I don't think I've seen you before, what kind of user are you?

Shadoww
Posts: 55
Joined: 27 Jan 2021

Post 12 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Sep 2021
Shadoww wrote:
12 Sep 2021

Yes, they did use quotes. But the discussion is about how members are supposedly being toxic. It’s best to keep name calling out of a forum. Whether it’s in jest or in quotes.
I imagine he refers to some users who appear normal and suddenly turn into phallus-like people when he said that?

I don't know, anyways, I don't think I've seen you before, what kind of user are you?
Ah ok, I haven’t seen those types of toxic post yet. I’m a newish Reason standalone users about start experimenting with Mimic in r12 .

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 3756
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 12 Sep 2021

Shadoww wrote:
12 Sep 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Sep 2021


I imagine he refers to some users who appear normal and suddenly turn into phallus-like people when he said that?

I don't know, anyways, I don't think I've seen you before, what kind of user are you?
Ah ok, I haven’t seen those types of toxic post yet. I’m a newish Reason standalone users about start experimenting with Mimic in r12 .
Welcome to the forum! Is Reason your first daw?

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 8407
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Imladris

Post 12 Sep 2021

Shadoww wrote:
12 Sep 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Sep 2021
They did use quotes. Is there a need to make a deal about that? Being a mod is not a job or anything, they are just like the rest of the users.
Yes, I know they did use ‘quotes’. But the discussion was about how members are supposedly being toxic. I just think it’s best to keep name calling out of a forum especially if you trying to keep healthy debate from descending into a argument :thumbup:
I could have easily used “cancer” or “mentally unstable”. At what point is anyone not offended by everything? The point is, we have some newer accounts who have been banned before that are now skirting the rules and - as much as they can often contribute to this community - turn on a dime. But I digress, didn’t mean to take this thread off topic. Also, welcome to Reasontalk. Stick around - most members are good people. :thumbup:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Shadoww
Posts: 55
Joined: 27 Jan 2021

Post 12 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
12 Sep 2021
Shadoww wrote:
12 Sep 2021

Yes, I know they did use ‘quotes’. But the discussion was about how members are supposedly being toxic. I just think it’s best to keep name calling out of a forum especially if you trying to keep healthy debate from descending into a argument :thumbup:
I could have easily used “cancer” or “mentally unstable”. At what point is anyone not offended by everything? The point is, we have some newer accounts who have been banned before that are now skirting the rules and - as much as they can often contribute to this community - turn on a dime. But I digress, didn’t mean to take this thread off topic. Also, welcome to Reasontalk. Stick around - most members are good people. :thumbup:
I wasn’t personally offended. But I do think there seems to be a lot of paranoia from moderators about new users joining the forum. You can’t be sure they are not genuine just the same as you can presume they are mentally ill. Do the moderators hold a permanent role here or does it work like a committee where ever 6 month a different member is appointed the role? If not, maybe this could help? More democratic too :thumbup:

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 8407
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Imladris

Post 12 Sep 2021

Shadoww wrote:
12 Sep 2021
I wasn’t personally offended. But I do think there seems to be a lot of paranoia from moderators about new users joining the forum. You can’t be sure they are not genuine just the same as you can presume they are mentally ill. Do the moderators hold a permanent role here or does it work like a committee where ever 6 month a different member is appointed the role? If not, maybe this could help? More democratic too :thumbup:
If you saw the sheer volume of spam we have to deal with on a regular basis (all of it has to be approved/declined and weeded out manually), and the tenacity of most of the trolls we’ve banned recreating new accounts, you’d understand why most mods - in any forum - maintain a certain level of paranoia. :lol:

That said, let’s get this thread back on topic - Mimic FTW!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 11037
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 12 Sep 2021

Shadoww wrote:
12 Sep 2021
Do the moderators hold a permanent role here or does it work like a committee where ever 6 month a different member is appointed the role? If not, maybe this could help? More democratic too :thumbup:
We beg our most active and fair-minded forum members to join the mod team. Most forum members turn us down. I think Enochlight joined us after our third or fourth attempt? 😂 Right?

Our team is a decent size with fluctuations in availability. We have a Slack channel in which we meet to discuss any issues that need moderating. Other than that, it is dealing with tons of spam and approving new members.

User avatar
soroc sosta
Posts: 210
Joined: 28 Apr 2015

Post 12 Sep 2021

TY Both, Guys!
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Sep 2021
djadalaide wrote:
12 Sep 2021


I was reading the manual and found something interesting, in single playback mode it can snap to slice, in combination with that you can set randomize start position - i've not tried it myself yet but i think it is possible.
Yes you can do that and you can set it so it is not bound by slices either, like the person you are responding to wants (because slices are set by transients) so it can totally be random both ways.

Tech-dance
Posts: 3
Joined: 08 Sep 2021

Post 12 Sep 2021

Having problems sample looping in Advanced Stretch mode. There is a small gap with each loop. This does not happen in tape mode and Loop knob is set to full.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 11037
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 12 Sep 2021

Tech-dance wrote:
12 Sep 2021
Having problems sample looping in Advanced Stretch mode. There is a small gap with each loop. This does not happen in tape mode and Loop knob is set to full.
Tape mode has a crossfade. Maybe that is why?

rootwheel
Posts: 290
Joined: 21 Aug 2021

Post 13 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
12 Sep 2021
GRIFTY wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Man this whole forum is A. dead and B. unbelievably toxic lol
Serious question: how so? I’ve seen a few people here post this place has become toxic, yet no one has dedcribed how.

Also, dead? Really? :shock:
I posted a really detailed reply to this but it seems to have not made it up unfortunately. I can't really be bothered typing it all up again so, never mind :)

Anyway, I've since had a reply back from Reason Studios explaining their rationale for Mimic being included in Reason 12 only and not being made available as a standalone RE in the shop as well. It turns out that a new RE SDK is in the works, supporting REX samples amongst other additions, and Mimic will be upgraded to support this in due course. As such, it made no sense releasing it standalone to begin with (despite its current compatibility with Reason 11) as I guess pretty soon the RE code itself won't be compatible with anything other than R12, as rack devices built with the new SDK will only work in Reason 12.

That all makes sense to me now and is fair enough. Glad the company is maintaining this new approach the CEO spoke of when he posted "But today in 2021, the world has changed and we believe being transparent about what we are working on suits both us and the community better". I feel much better about it now.

Anyway I'm glad to draw a line under all this and hope all you guys who can run Mimic enjoy it! :) I'm going to have to make do with Serato Sample for now although it's no slouch and still very fun to work with.

Best wishes everyone

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 8407
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Imladris

Post 13 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
13 Sep 2021
Anyway, I've since had a reply back from Reason Studios explaining their rationale for Mimic being included in Reason 12 only and not being made available as a standalone RE in the shop as well. It turns out that a new RE SDK is in the works, supporting REX samples amongst other additions, and Mimic will be upgraded to support this in due course. As such, it made no sense releasing it standalone to begin with (despite its current compatibility with Reason 11)
That makes total sense, as it would break Mimic on 11 and everyone who bought it as a separate RE would rightfully rage. Cool that they are (finally) going to add REX support for the RE SDK. Wonder what else they'll have in store?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 3756
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 13 Sep 2021

Awesome news! Thanks root!

avasopht
Competition Winner
Posts: 3947
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 13 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
13 Sep 2021
I posted a really detailed reply to this but it seems to have not made it up unfortunately. I can't really be bothered typing it all up again so, never mind :)

Anyway, I've since had a reply back from Reason Studios explaining their rationale for Mimic being included in Reason 12 only and not being made available as a standalone RE in the shop as well. It turns out that a new RE SDK is in the works, supporting REX samples amongst other additions, and Mimic will be upgraded to support this in due course. As such, it made no sense releasing it standalone to begin with (despite its current compatibility with Reason 11) as I guess pretty soon the RE code itself won't be compatible with anything other than R12, as rack devices built with the new SDK will only work in Reason 12.

That all makes sense to me now and is fair enough. Glad the company is maintaining this new approach the CEO spoke of when he posted "But today in 2021, the world has changed and we believe being transparent about what we are working on suits both us and the community better". I feel much better about it now.

Anyway I'm glad to draw a line under all this and hope all you guys who can run Mimic enjoy it! :) I'm going to have to make do with Serato Sample for now although it's no slouch and still very fun to work with.

Best wishes everyone
Well, that was a possibility I was going to suggest. But it was too much speculation on my part.

It goes to show how important transparency is. I'm sure you're not the only person who thought that.

User avatar
thx
Posts: 46
Joined: 18 Sep 2016
Location: UK

Post 13 Sep 2021

Sorry if this has been asked, but what does Mimic mimic?

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 11037
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 13 Sep 2021

thx wrote:
13 Sep 2021
Sorry if this has been asked, but what does Mimic mimic?
Mattias answered in the live stream that the name comes from a type of character in D&D.

User avatar
tiker01
Moderator
Posts: 1424
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 13 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
13 Sep 2021
rootwheel wrote:
13 Sep 2021
Anyway, I've since had a reply back from Reason Studios explaining their rationale for Mimic being included in Reason 12 only and not being made available as a standalone RE in the shop as well. It turns out that a new RE SDK is in the works, supporting REX samples amongst other additions, and Mimic will be upgraded to support this in due course. As such, it made no sense releasing it standalone to begin with (despite its current compatibility with Reason 11)
That makes total sense, as it would break Mimic on 11 and everyone who bought it as a separate RE would rightfully rage. Cool that they are (finally) going to add REX support for the RE SDK. Wonder what else they'll have in store?
I wonder what this Rex support really means. It could mean that one can create an DrOctoREx RE but it could well be REs being able to load and save Rex files but it would really be wave only Reason doing the necesarry conversion. This would mean that the original slice marker info is lost when you load a Rex file into Mimic or any other RE.
    
Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 2533
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 13 Sep 2021

thx wrote:
13 Sep 2021
Sorry if this has been asked, but what does Mimic mimic?
Closest one is Ableton's Simpler. But it's an imperfect mimic.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 8407
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Imladris

Post 14 Sep 2021

tiker01 wrote:
13 Sep 2021
I wonder what this Rex support really means. It could mean that one can create an DrOctoREx RE but it could well be REs being able to load and save Rex files but it would really be wave only Reason doing the necessary conversion. This would mean that the original slice marker info is lost when you load a Rex file into Mimic or any other RE.
I would imagine it would mean that we could just drag REX files into Mimic, just like we can in Reason's native samplers built pre-RE. Whether it respects slice markers is a good question, though. NNXT just maps out the slices among all the keys, I think? Can't remember.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests