Cakewalk vs Reason

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Proboscis

06 Apr 2020

Creativemind wrote:
05 Apr 2020
Found a feature on Cakewalk recently that I've never heard of before called Snapshots. Do any other daw's have a similar feature?

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?p ... on.15.html
Me neither - my Cakewalk journey will start when Reason 12 drops.

But there are already a lot of features in Cakewalk that Reason doesn't have.

>
cakewalk_reason_features.PNG
cakewalk_reason_features.PNG (25.33 KiB) Viewed 1711 times

Creativemind

06 Apr 2020

Proboscis wrote:
06 Apr 2020
Creativemind wrote:
05 Apr 2020
Found a feature on Cakewalk recently that I've never heard of before called Snapshots. Do any other daw's have a similar feature?

Me neither - my Cakewalk journey will start when Reason 12 drops.

But there are already a lot of features in Cakewalk that Reason doesn't have.

>
They missed off Audio To Midi, Pitch Correction, Step Edit, Macros and Manual Parameter Inputs with Copy / Paste option or is that not the full list haha!

What site is that? I would like to see a comparison of Reaper and Cakewalk.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

selig
RE Developer

06 Apr 2020

Creativemind wrote:
05 Apr 2020

Snapshot automation was in early versions of Pro Tools IIRC (and maybe some MIDI sequencers before that?), so it's not a new feature (at least 20 if not 30 years old). :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Yonatan

06 Apr 2020

No walking cakes for Mac users. No Logic for microsofters.

Creativemind

06 Apr 2020

Yonatan wrote:
06 Apr 2020
Yeah I have a Windows computer and was really wanting to demo Logic using Virtual Box but apparently there's no Logic demo?

Kalm

06 Apr 2020

Creativemind wrote:
06 Apr 2020
Yonatan wrote:
06 Apr 2020
Yeah I have a Windows computer and was really wanting to demo Logic using Virtual Box but apparently there's no Logic demo?
Actually....

Logic Pro X has a 90 day demo lol. They just did this about a couple weeks ago?
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Creativemind

06 Apr 2020

Kalm wrote:
06 Apr 2020
Creativemind wrote:
06 Apr 2020

Actually....

Logic Pro X has a 90 day demo lol. They just did this about a couple weeks ago?
Ahh interesting. I literally checked if there was a demo on the 21st March (I checked my download history on my computer as I did it the day after I downloaded Virtual Box). 16 Days ago lol!

All's I need now is a feature comparison list for Cakewalk, Logic and Reaper like the one above.

pquenin

09 Sep 2021

As Reason 12 is unusable on my computer (every action is too slow), I am forced to find another DAW.
As I am on Windows, there is this free Cakewalk by bandlab.
I have tested it and I must admit that it's an amazing piece of software. And it looks great too. And very stable so far.
There is only one thing that annoy me, it's that there is a bug when you use the Reason Rack plugin within Cakewalk : you can't pass the keystrokes to the plugin, so you can't use Tab to flip the rack, or type something in the browser search field.
Don't know if it's Cakewalk or Reason fault, as it's OK in Cakewalk with other plugins, and it's OK in Reason in other DAWs.

orthodox
RE Developer

09 Sep 2021

pquenin wrote:
09 Sep 2021
There is only one thing that annoy me, it's that there is a bug when you use the Reason Rack plugin within Cakewalk : you can't pass the keystrokes to the plugin, so you can't use Tab to flip the rack, or type something in the browser search field.
Don't know if it's Cakewalk or Reason fault, as it's OK in Cakewalk with other plugins, and it's OK in Reason in other DAWs.

Proboscis

09 Sep 2021

I don’t frequent the Bandlab forum, so am not sure if it’s a global issue (or a particular issue on your end only). Just looking now at a short forum post from September 2nd, nobody so far has identified it as an issue. But agreed, the disabled TAB key would be a small frustration. Still, there’s the ‘flip rack’ button.

Your post bump is a timely one. Upon the release of R12, I again revisited the DAW and installed a fresh version of Cakewalk. Still have the same problems of sample rate hijacking my PC’s settings, which makes it unusable for me at this time. To be clear though, this is a known issue on my end rather than a Cakewalk problem, as I have dramas with OBS as well. My studio computer is an ex-school end of lease device, and there are other things that are also locked down (like disabled camera settings)

In reviewing my feature comparison list from 18 months ago, has Reason 11 point updates or Reason 12 release added ANY of these features to date ?

cakewalk_reason_features.PNG (25.33 KiB) Viewed 1436 times

Futz

09 Sep 2021

As a long term Cakewalk user who has come to Reason recently I would say that using Cakewalk and Reason Rack compliment each other so well that they end up being more than the sum of each part.
What Reason lacks Cakewalk covers and visa versa.
I was in despair when Cakewalk folded, but since Bandlab took over, Cakewalk is better than ever.
Adding Kushview Element into the mix so I can run my old Cakewalk legacy DXs and VSTs inside Reason was the third piece of the puzzle.

bxbrkrz

09 Sep 2021

More long time or short time Cakewalk users sharing their experience here would be cool.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

miyaru

10 Sep 2021

I used it for a short while, as I missed a linear sequencer (well sort of) in Live. Although it has one, I don't like it. So I used Cakewalk for a while, but switched to Reason 11 suite, which works better for me personally. I don't know 12, because I haven't got to beta it, although I signed up for it.......

But with computerparts rising in price, and my PC is getting old - I think I pass on 12 anyway. My PC is fitted with a i7-7700 and 16 Mb ram.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

pquenin

10 Sep 2021

orthodox wrote:
09 Sep 2021
pquenin wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Thanks, but I am aware of this button, but it has no effect with RRP... Does it works for you ?

orthodox
RE Developer

10 Sep 2021

pquenin wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Thanks, but I am aware of this button, but it has no effect with RRP... Does it works for you ?
Indeed it does not work. Sorry, didn't check it.

challism

10 Sep 2021

I don't see why this thread is "Cakewalk vs Reason" when it can and should be "Cakewalk + Reason" thanks to RS innovative approach of turning Reason into a VST plugin.

BTW, I love that Cakewalk is free! It's amazing that Bandlab bought the rights and brought it back... for free! Cakewalk was my first ever DAW and I loved it. I've downloaded the new Cakewalk but only seem to use it for beta testing purposes.. I just feel claustrophobic in DAWs other than Reason.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Rising Night Wave

10 Sep 2021

hu! cakewalk is for free! now this is cool and f****** awesome!

i started my music journey with CakeWalk... like 30 years ago? hehe...
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

guitfnky

10 Sep 2021

challism wrote:
10 Sep 2021
I don't see why this thread is "Cakewalk vs Reason" when it can and should be "Cakewalk + Reason" thanks to RS innovative approach of turning Reason into a VST plugin.
why “should” it be both? if you want to compare features of the DAWs, it doesn’t make sense to just talk about the RRP. it’s a lovely sentiment, but meaningless in the context of the discussion.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

challism

10 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
10 Sep 2021
challism wrote:
10 Sep 2021
why “should” it be both? if you want to compare features of the DAWs, it doesn’t make sense to just talk about the RRP. it’s a lovely sentiment, but meaningless in the context of the discussion.
It should be both because both is possible with the RRP. The sentiment of the OP is to "abandon" Reason as a DAW. But why not just take the RRP with you on your journey into Cakewalk? I said it "should" be, because there are obviously some things the OP likes about Reason and there really is no reason to give it up 100%. For all intents and purposes, this is a good thread about Calkwalk features, etc. I just thought the "vs" in the title would have better served with a "plus". My opinion, maybe not yours.

guitfnky

10 Sep 2021

challism wrote:
10 Sep 2021
guitfnky wrote:
10 Sep 2021

It should be both because both is possible with the RRP. The sentiment of the OP is to "abandon" Reason as a DAW. But why not just take the RRP with you on your journey into Cakewalk? I said it "should" be, because there are obviously some things the OP likes about Reason and there really is no reason to give it up 100%. For all intents and purposes, this is a good thread about Calkwalk features, etc. I just thought the "vs" in the title would have better served with a "plus". My opinion, maybe not yours.
this assumes RRP is as good as Reason stand-alone. it’s not.

contrasted with stand-alone, RRP becomes just another plugin. sure, a really versatile one, but just a plugin. less than, or at best equal to the sum of its parts. Reason stand-alone, on the other hand, is greater than the sum of its parts—but that’s still not enough to make up for the relative wasteland of features compared to other DAWs.

so yes, the DAW vs. DAW question is very relevant.

challism

11 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
10 Sep 2021
challism wrote:
10 Sep 2021

contrasted with stand-alone, RRP becomes just another plugin. sure, a really versatile one, but just a plugin. less than, or at best equal to the sum of its parts. Reason stand-alone, on the other hand, is greater than the sum of its parts—but that’s still not enough to make up for the relative wasteland of features compared to other DAWs.

It seems to me that some people approach the Internet with the sole purpose of arguing. How is that working out for you? Geeze. My whole point is that it's not an everything or nothing situation. I think I'm done responding.

guitfnky

11 Sep 2021

challism wrote:
11 Sep 2021
guitfnky wrote:
10 Sep 2021

It seems to me that some people approach the Internet with the sole purpose of arguing. How is that working out for you? Geeze. My whole point is that it's not an everything or nothing situation. I think I'm done responding.
🙄

and yet here you are…arguing…with the premise of the post…and with me…

come on, man, have a little self awareness.

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
10 Sep 2021

I find it's a bit of both.

Of course, Reason Standalone has more features than RRP.

But with RRP, you can have lots of self-contained racks. If we could get that in Reason, man, that would be the ultimate workflow boost.

Pretty sure someone tried RRP in Reason via a VST3 wrapper.

Rising Night Wave

11 Sep 2021

i just tried CakeWalk for the first time after cca 25 years when i firstly tried CW and i must say i rocks!
cool peace of program. i shall study it till i will be able to do a complete song.
so far i just created some beat using patch/preset with default drum set and applied over some guitar distortion FX.
cool, nice.

anyway: i said in other thread something about CW that it is non intuitive with it's GUI. GUI is somehow a bit messy. i thikn so. but i'll learn it. because it is a great app as i can see - still good and so - and i got it for FREE. thanks goes to BandLab crew. // was CW free all this time or just now when they are celebrating 30 years of existence?
and i also told to my very good friend that he can grab CW for free. it was insta grab. hehe. he said it is cool. very nice.

+2 goes to bandlab
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

Proboscis

12 Sep 2021

challism wrote:
11 Sep 2021
It seems to me that some people approach the Internet with the sole purpose of arguing. How is that working out for you?
How's it working out for you ?

Since this thread resurged, you've said what it 'should' be about. Twice !

What this thread is about is Reason DAW in comparison to Cakewalk DAW.

And the many, many shortcomings with the former. (even now, with the drop of Reason12/+)

What this thread is not about, is using Reason as a plugin.

• Information