Mimic: New Creative Sampler

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

Post 13 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
13 Sep 2021
Anyway, I've since had a reply back from Reason Studios explaining their rationale for Mimic being included in Reason 12 only and not being made available as a standalone RE in the shop as well. It turns out that a new RE SDK is in the works, supporting REX samples amongst other additions, and Mimic will be upgraded to support this in due course. As such, it made no sense releasing it standalone to begin with (despite its current compatibility with Reason 11)
That makes total sense, as it would break Mimic on 11 and everyone who bought it as a separate RE would rightfully rage. Cool that they are (finally) going to add REX support for the RE SDK. Wonder what else they'll have in store?
Win 10 | Reason 12 |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

PhillipOrdonez

Post 13 Sep 2021

Awesome news! Thanks root!

avasopht

Post 13 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
13 Sep 2021
I posted a really detailed reply to this but it seems to have not made it up unfortunately. I can't really be bothered typing it all up again so, never mind :)

Anyway, I've since had a reply back from Reason Studios explaining their rationale for Mimic being included in Reason 12 only and not being made available as a standalone RE in the shop as well. It turns out that a new RE SDK is in the works, supporting REX samples amongst other additions, and Mimic will be upgraded to support this in due course. As such, it made no sense releasing it standalone to begin with (despite its current compatibility with Reason 11) as I guess pretty soon the RE code itself won't be compatible with anything other than R12, as rack devices built with the new SDK will only work in Reason 12.

That all makes sense to me now and is fair enough. Glad the company is maintaining this new approach the CEO spoke of when he posted "But today in 2021, the world has changed and we believe being transparent about what we are working on suits both us and the community better". I feel much better about it now.

Anyway I'm glad to draw a line under all this and hope all you guys who can run Mimic enjoy it! :) I'm going to have to make do with Serato Sample for now although it's no slouch and still very fun to work with.

Best wishes everyone
Well, that was a possibility I was going to suggest. But it was too much speculation on my part.

It goes to show how important transparency is. I'm sure you're not the only person who thought that.
---

thx

Post 13 Sep 2021

Sorry if this has been asked, but what does Mimic mimic?

joeyluck

Post 13 Sep 2021

thx wrote:
13 Sep 2021
Mattias answered in the live stream that the name comes from a type of character in D&D.

tiker01

Post 13 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
13 Sep 2021
rootwheel wrote:
13 Sep 2021
Anyway, I've since had a reply back from Reason Studios explaining their rationale for Mimic being included in Reason 12 only and not being made available as a standalone RE in the shop as well. It turns out that a new RE SDK is in the works, supporting REX samples amongst other additions, and Mimic will be upgraded to support this in due course. As such, it made no sense releasing it standalone to begin with (despite its current compatibility with Reason 11)
That makes total sense, as it would break Mimic on 11 and everyone who bought it as a separate RE would rightfully rage. Cool that they are (finally) going to add REX support for the RE SDK. Wonder what else they'll have in store?
I wonder what this Rex support really means. It could mean that one can create an DrOctoREx RE but it could well be REs being able to load and save Rex files but it would really be wave only Reason doing the necesarry conversion. This would mean that the original slice marker info is lost when you load a Rex file into Mimic or any other RE.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

DaveyG

Post 13 Sep 2021

thx wrote:
13 Sep 2021
Closest one is Ableton's Simpler. But it's an imperfect mimic.

EnochLight

Post 14 Sep 2021

tiker01 wrote:
13 Sep 2021
I wonder what this Rex support really means. It could mean that one can create an DrOctoREx RE but it could well be REs being able to load and save Rex files but it would really be wave only Reason doing the necessary conversion. This would mean that the original slice marker info is lost when you load a Rex file into Mimic or any other RE.
I would imagine it would mean that we could just drag REX files into Mimic, just like we can in Reason's native samplers built pre-RE. Whether it respects slice markers is a good question, though. NNXT just maps out the slices among all the keys, I think? Can't remember.
Win 10 | Reason 12 |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

RoryM0

Post 14 Sep 2021

Reason Studios, please consider making it possible to dynamically select the sample slot in slice mode.

Perhaps using very low MIDI notes to switch between sample slots and/or CV. You can't even target the sample slot from a combinator at present.

Creativemind

Post 17 Sep 2021

To be honest, just been using the NN-XT and for me, all's the NN-XT needed was a reskin (think the old skin looks tired and old lol!), built in tempo match with tempo detect, playing a sample up and down the keyboard without it speeding up or slowing down, automate the pitch bend range and a mod matrix adding and it would've done. Sure they could've done that in half the time it took to completely design and code a whole new sampler, then they could've added a handful of workflow features with the time left.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 12.2 / Cockos Reaper 6.35 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Oper-8

Post 18 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
17 Sep 2021
all's the NN-XT needed was a reskin (think the old skin looks tired and old lol!),
You can always Combine² it and skin it like you want. "Pimp my NN-XT" !
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

Creativemind

Post 18 Sep 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
17 Sep 2021
all's the NN-XT needed was a reskin (think the old skin looks tired and old lol!),
Good point. :thumbs_up:
:reason:

Reason Studio's 12.2 / Cockos Reaper 6.35 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

selig
RE Developer

Post 18 Sep 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
17 Sep 2021
But you can only control the parameters visible when the editor is closed, 11 parameters TOTAL!
So you'll still have to look at that skin for a little while longer if you're editing sounds in any way… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Oper-8

Post 18 Sep 2021

Weird ! Why can't Combinator controls be mapped to any parameter for any device ?
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

aeox

Post 18 Sep 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Weird ! Why can't Combinator controls be mapped to any parameter for any device ?
I think there is a limit in the SDK for how many parameters can be automatable. Could be wrong but that's what I heard a while back

artotaku

Post 18 Sep 2021

aeox wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Oper-8 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
I think there is a limit in the SDK for how many parameters can be automatable. Could be wrong but that's what I heard a while back
Both C2 and NNXT are not REs and not limited by the SDK, so why do these native devices have a limitation? I guess the limitation stems from the sheer amount of parameters the NNXT has that exceeds the total number of available MIDI CCs (max 127). They could have exposed more than 11 but they just restricted it to that to make it consistent in their software design I guess. Quite interesting that they decided to go for workaround with the modulation parameters to control at least some of the parameters in the detail area of NNXT.
It´s the same issue as with the FX modules of Kong where some of them are also not exposed since Kong has quite a lot of parameters similar to NNXT.

Eddi-16

Post 20 Sep 2021

Am I the only one who thinks that MIMIC has not enough contrast?

sfsfs_ergebnis.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RoryM0

Post 20 Sep 2021

Eddi-16 wrote:
20 Sep 2021
Am I the only one who thinks that MIMIC has not enough contrast?
Agree. Needs to pop more.

cocoazenith

Post 20 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
17 Sep 2021
To be honest, just been using the NN-XT and for me, all's the NN-XT needed was a reskin (think the old skin looks tired and old)
Indeed NN-XT is among the few legacy devices that is in dire need of a graphical rehaul.

miscend

Post less than a minute ago

thx wrote:
13 Sep 2021
You mimic/imitate an instrument when you sample it with a sampler.

• Information