Reason 13 has arrived: Release Notes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chimp_spanner

19 Jun 2024

wendylou wrote:
19 Jun 2024
chimp_spanner wrote:
18 Jun 2024

Save init patches for now. Put those in lists. Not all devices can save/load patches though so you'll have to put those in combis, or just leave them out of favs.
I tried your suggestion (as detailed in your video) and although it does work, what a complete hassle! I hope RS adds the ability to "favorite" or "heart" things quickly, then tag them such that either they are found under the tagging system, or else provide an easier way to add such favorites to sidebar user folders, i.e. FAV Effects, Pads, Leads, etc. I'm not going to do this manually by saving every init patches, then placing them in the sidebar folders one by one!
Yeah I think for now I'm probably just gonna...not do that. A fix will be coming at some point, and it's a lot of time to waste. Like I said in the vid you can get to developers a bit faster now that you can collapse all. So I'll make do, knowing a solution is coming some time!

Pepin

19 Jun 2024

Remember you can also create devices entirely using the keyboard by pressing Ctrl-Shift-F, the arrow keys, and the return key (or drag into place if specific positioning is needed).
If you like this approach, you can leave all device categories deselected so you never have to mess with them.

It's a pretty efficient way to create devices if you know the name of what you want.

nadj

19 Jun 2024

MattiasHG wrote:
19 Jun 2024
aeox wrote:
19 Jun 2024
I can't figure out how to get rid of that "Edit Area" that is taking up half my screen :D For this Reason, I'm sticking to 12
In Reason 12 the "Edit Area" took up your entire screen though :?

You can open/close it with F9 or shift+tab. It also auto opens when you double-click a clip or hit Enter with a clip selected. It can also be closed with Escape.
I've not upgraded yet but can the edit area be closed by mouse? I don't use a keyboard at all. Actually, can all the new features be operated by mouse only?

chimp_spanner

19 Jun 2024

nadj wrote:
19 Jun 2024
MattiasHG wrote:
19 Jun 2024

In Reason 12 the "Edit Area" took up your entire screen though :?

You can open/close it with F9 or shift+tab. It also auto opens when you double-click a clip or hit Enter with a clip selected. It can also be closed with Escape.
I've not upgraded yet but can the edit area be closed by mouse? I don't use a keyboard at all. Actually, can all the new features be operated by mouse only?
It can yeah! There's a little (X) at the top left of the edit area. I am pretty sure everything works by mouse, yes.

nadj

19 Jun 2024

chimp_spanner wrote:
19 Jun 2024
nadj wrote:
19 Jun 2024

It can yeah! There's a little (X) at the top left of the edit area. I am pretty sure everything works by mouse, yes.
Good to hear. Cheers CS.

WolfZeit

19 Jun 2024

So I took Ryan's YT advice and moved all my old patch folders into the new User Library. Expecting to have to redo the browser Shortcuts list, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the new browser has worked out the folders have moved, and has linked to the new location automatically (even keeping my list order). Thats clever 🙂👍🏻

Spryx

19 Jun 2024

christ... can anyone actually install this on mac?
Xnip2024-06-19_18-02-50.jpg
Xnip2024-06-19_18-02-50.jpg (553.43 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
latest:

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2024

Spryx wrote:
19 Jun 2024
christ... can anyone actually install this on mac?
Xnip2024-06-19_18-02-50.jpg
It was fine for me (on MacOS). Mabye your download was not complete.

Maybe the server is overloaded??

Billy+

19 Jun 2024

Calazzus wrote:
19 Jun 2024
Billy+ wrote:
18 Jun 2024

Well Mattias said in response to me that it's on the todo list... Read the thread : -on 27 Jan 2021 I've only been waiting since ummmm R9.5 isn't that when we first got VST support? what year was that again...
Since 2021 huh? I upgraded to Reason 12 hoping for VST MIDI in a point update at some point. Now 13 is here and still not implemented? At this point is it safe to assume it will never happen? Or do I have to wait for Reason 14?
:lol:

No I guess I've / we've been waiting since 2017 when 9.5 was released,

but I decided that R12 wasn't worth it and I'm guessing 13 really is easy to pass on so it is what it is.

I slid over to Live suite and using R11 as RRP so I'm happy that RRP was free with my R11 license and am fine with not having spent a single penny in the props shop since.

Billy+

19 Jun 2024

selig wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Billy+ wrote:
18 Jun 2024

Might be trickier ? um doesn't every other DAW on the market have support for VST Midi... 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Every DAW also has markers, edit groups, and auto punch, doesn't mean it's not tricky to do in Reason (which has always had a bit of an unconventional approach IMO).

Billy+

19 Jun 2024

luckygreen wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Billy+ wrote:
18 Jun 2024

Well Mattias said in response to me that it's on the todo list... Read the thread : -on 27 Jan 2021 I've only been waiting since ummmm R9.5 isn't that when we first got VST support? what year was that again...
29th of may 2017

Yes, VST support was introduced with R9.5

If I had to guess I would say RS don't want to risk the sales of their player devices which might be at least one reason why VST MIDI has a lower priority.
maybe but I'm to busy to care....

Faastwalker

20 Jun 2024

I have a small request - I'd like the option in the 'Window' menu to hide this bar (in the below image). It's a small thing. But, after close to a quarter of a century of hitting the Tab key to flip the rack. It kind of feels like having a 'Flip Rack' button is the Reason equivalent of having to be told how to breathe in & out!! :? Likewise with the 'Mixer', 'Rack', and 'Sequencer' buttons - F5, F6 & F7 have had me navigating the Reason windows at close to light speed for as long as I've been flipping the old rack. I need buttons for this like I need another arsehole!! :shock: And there's precious screen real estate in that there bar :D Reason > Window > Hide Beginner Bar :thumbup:

tomusurp

20 Jun 2024

chimp_spanner wrote:
19 Jun 2024
It's definitely lightyears beyond 12 in terms of stability and usability! I think anyone involved in the testing will know we went HARD. Never squashed so many bugs. Not even during mosquito season! I haven't had anything not load or act weird or anything. And I will say I'm a huge fan of the new dark theme. It feels quite....serious. I like serious. I'm a serious guy :lol:
Hey chimp what do you mean it so ahead? I've never had any real issues with R12 in terms of stability and I run a lot of RE's and VSTs and this is on a 2019 gaming laptop. A lot of times I don't even bounce tracks and mix and master everything within. Runs like a warship. But then again I average about 20-25 tracks per song (not counting automation tracks)

luckygreen

20 Jun 2024

Faastwalker wrote:
20 Jun 2024
I have a small request - I'd like the option in the 'Window' menu to hide this bar (in the below image). It's a small thing. But, after close to a quarter of a century of hitting the Tab key to flip the rack. It kind of feels like having a 'Flip Rack' button is the Reason equivalent of having to be told how to breathe in & out!! :? Likewise with the 'Mixer', 'Rack', and 'Sequencer' buttons - F5, F6 & F7 have had me navigating the Reason windows at close to light speed for as long as I've been flipping the old rack. I need buttons for this like I need another arsehole!! :shock: And there's precious screen real estate in that there bar :D Reason > Window > Hide Beginner Bar :thumbup:

The small and easy to implement, low hanging fruit things are hard ignored by Reason Studios. So good luck with your feature request. Maybe in 10 to 20 years.

I requested kind of the same. Other requested it years ago. Reason Studios simply can't be bothered.
Reason 12 perpetual | Ableton Live 11 Suite
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

chimp_spanner

20 Jun 2024

tomusurp wrote:
20 Jun 2024
chimp_spanner wrote:
19 Jun 2024
It's definitely lightyears beyond 12 in terms of stability and usability! I think anyone involved in the testing will know we went HARD. Never squashed so many bugs. Not even during mosquito season! I haven't had anything not load or act weird or anything. And I will say I'm a huge fan of the new dark theme. It feels quite....serious. I like serious. I'm a serious guy :lol:
Hey chimp what do you mean it so ahead? I've never had any real issues with R12 in terms of stability and I run a lot of RE's and VSTs and this is on a 2019 gaming laptop. A lot of times I don't even bounce tracks and mix and master everything within. Runs like a warship. But then again I average about 20-25 tracks per song (not counting automation tracks)
Oh 12 right now is fantastic. At launch, there were issues. Insane device image loading times, a few bugs, etc. But I understand it was a massive overhaul to the graphics engine. Glad we got to where we're at. 13, for whatever people love or hate about it, feels really solid to me. I've had a good time in it, even as of the latest betas.

helmutson

20 Jun 2024

When I read the comments about the R13 upgrade price in Instagram for example, it seems everybody is really happy with it ... :clap: 🤣

Kypresso

20 Jun 2024

helmutson wrote:
20 Jun 2024
When I read the comments about the R13 upgrade price in Instagram for example, it seems everybody is really happy with it ... :clap: 🤣
Influencers are always happy about whatever product it is they're pushing that week.

Preach

20 Jun 2024

Hello fellow Reasoners,

i have a question about the new browser, maybe I'm missing something. In reason 12 it was possible to preview single slices of a Rex-Loop and drag them into a sampler or the sequencer as an audio file. In this version this seems not to work. This would be catastrophic for me, since I have a lot of Rex-Files and often just need one or two slices of them as samples. :?

Reminiscence

20 Jun 2024

tip: run a compressor/limiter after ripley - just in case the freeze discharge is too high pitched and seriously loud.

Dafreeze

20 Jun 2024

hmm no automation editing in the edit view, thats kind of annoying

Reminiscence

20 Jun 2024

Kinda meh with this release, even though it's pretty like a vineyard burning in the sun for no reason but a delay of water from the sky where the sun does not burn its strongest and brightest. Aaah hell still meh. Going back to bitwig without RRP. Ciao

Steedus
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2024

Mentioned this on the beta forum will reiterate here:

Since they apparently re-did some/a lot of the visual layout/design, I wish they designed it in a way which could get more benefit out of the hi-res assets. I want to work with the rack at 140%, but I don't need the rest of the UI blown up like I'm visually impaired.

I understand it's purpose as implemented, but it seemed like a hell of a lot of work just to allow it to scale (as a whole) to your screen. The assets are there (and look great), lets get more use out of them!

mimidancer

20 Jun 2024

I'm loving the stereo tool. it brings my incoming mono signals to life. I've tried on guitar, model D, Kobol Expander, and the microfreak. it does nice things to them all. The UI is much cleaner. I also love having the devices separate from the patches in the browser. My devices default to init as I like to sound design for the song. I also love not having to go back to devices when reason would switch to the patch list after loading a device. Like all of you, there are things I have wanted for years that have not come. But this is a solid upgrade. I hope you guys are making the music you love. I know I am.

stratatonic

20 Jun 2024

Steedus wrote:
20 Jun 2024
I wish they designed it in a way which could get more benefit out of the hi-res assets. I want to work with the rack at 140%, but I don't need the rest of the UI blown up like I'm visually impaired.
lol, it is pretty ridiculous. I'd like 140 as well, but not for anything else but the rack - I'm unsure why RS can't manage to just get the rack to zoom.

I can't remember if you are on a mac, but you can have keyboard shortcuts that will zoom to 140 and one to go back again (for a "normal looking sequencer/browser/etc") and you can shortcut hiding the Transport as well - you just have to make sure you're only in rack mode or the whole thing blows up in your face, lol.

Faastwalker

20 Jun 2024

Steedus wrote:
20 Jun 2024
Since they apparently re-did some/a lot of the visual layout/design, I wish they designed it in a way which could get more benefit out of the hi-res assets. I want to work with the rack at 140%, but I don't need the rest of the UI blown up like I'm visually impaired.
Agreed 100% :thumbup: The rack devices look great blown up nice and large. But it seems ridiculous to me that everything else blows up to the same scale! When this feature launched, I spent a bit of time blowing things up to 150%+ to see how the devices looked. Then went back to 110% (which worked well for everything on my 2K 32" monitor). I haven't touched it since!! When the feature was announced I imagined you would be able to zoom the rack, sequencer & mixer independently, which would have been fantastic. For all intents and purposes, it's basically just an accessibility feature the way it works now :?

• Information