Reason 13 has arrived: Release Notes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
phithegoldenratio

18 Jun 2024

Vil wrote:
18 Jun 2024
QVprod wrote:
18 Jun 2024

You can just choose not to download it. It’s not automatic.
Ahh, so they need to start Reason without the Companion app.
nah, even when you start companion app it does not automatically update.
there is a section in the Companion app which lets you download if you want.

Mccauld

18 Jun 2024

Guys,

Just chiming in here. I recently set up loads of lovely favourite devices lists in reason 12 and that really helped my workflow, and now that functionality is gone and I’m a bit sad. I had lists like “multi effects devices” “bass plugins” “sequencing devices” “drum machines” “guitar vsts” etc etc and sadly those lists don’t work anymore. I spent a fair bit of time setting them up but I guess now I’ll have to figure out some sort of temporary workaround until reason folks allow us to make tags for devices

chimp_spanner

18 Jun 2024

Mccauld wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Guys,

Just chiming in here. I recently set up loads of lovely favourite devices lists in reason 12 and that really helped my workflow, and now that functionality is gone and I’m a bit sad. I had lists like “multi effects devices” “bass plugins” “sequencing devices” “drum machines” “guitar vsts” etc etc and sadly those lists don’t work anymore. I spent a fair bit of time setting them up but I guess now I’ll have to figure out some sort of temporary workaround until reason folks allow us to make tags for devices
Save init patches for now. Put those in lists. Not all devices can save/load patches though so you'll have to put those in combis, or just leave them out of favs.

dusan.cani

18 Jun 2024

Pepin wrote:
18 Jun 2024
dusan.cani wrote:
18 Jun 2024

Hi, thanks for reply.

Use case is very simple and it's explained in the attached picture. The key point here is to just keep the consistency when browsing through the clips and showing them in edit area. There should be option whether you want to preserve your custom clip zoom or you want always apply the auto zoom to fit the content.

clip-behaviour.jpg
I'm pretty sure the reason clips don't always open on the left side of the screen is that they're positioned based on their position relative to the previously selected clip (or really, the current view):
  • If already on screen, then nothing happens
  • If off screen to the left, then it's aligned to the left
  • If off screen to the right, then it's aligned to the right
I think this behavior is good, because it effectively scrolls the view the minimum distance necessary to get the new clip on screen. This increases the likelihood that other nearby clips you're working on will remain on screen.

I proposed a solution to the custom zoom inconsistency: viewtopic.php?p=665056#p665056
What do you think?
The clip is inconsistently showed at different positions after clip selection and this depends on the current placement you are selecting from, as you have mentioned. This is very confusing and anti-intuitive for me, because my focus is the selected clip which I naturally always want to see from the beginning of the screen after selecting it through arrange area. It's confusing and chaotic if the selected clip is not showed always from the beginning. This inconsistent scroll behaviour is one of the main workflow problems in Reason for me and I hoped it could be fixed but as we can see it's still present in the Reason even after R13 update.

Regarding your suggestion for zoom inconsistency - I want simple and consistent behaviour which means if you enter the clip editing mode it just preserves your zoom if you prefer it to the auto zoom. That's all.

wendylou

18 Jun 2024

chimp_spanner wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Mccauld wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Guys,

Save init patches for now. Put those in lists. Not all devices can save/load patches though so you'll have to put those in combis, or just leave them out of favs.
#metoo All my fav folders are empty, so I'll try your suggestion. I also used to access a variety of organized song folders, but those are all empty too. Clearly the new bowser is aimed at sound patches, loops, and midi, not song files and all the other stuff I used the old sidebar for.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

chimp_spanner

18 Jun 2024

I had a little ramble, but nice to get my thoughts into order! I definitely wanna do some 13 tutorials though. There's a lot to love still. These are just my thoughts!

dvdrtldg

18 Jun 2024

Mccauld wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Guys,

Yeah this is a big one for me (as well as the high upgrade price for such a slim offering). I hate having to rely on tags, especially for VSTs which often don't have them properly implemented by the developer. Won't even think of upgrading unless they bring back Favourites lists

E.g. if I'm looking for drums in R13, should I assume that the tag system will just bring up dedicated drum instruments, and not synths that may or may not be used for drum sounds? I use Parsec for a lot of my electronic drum sounds, so unless I can tag Parsec myself as a drum instrument - which it seems I can't - then the system doesn't work for me

That's how it looks from a distance anyway, I'm certainly not going to pay $199 ($199!!! you're shitting me) to find out

motuscott

18 Jun 2024

Not a tag guy, not even sure how that works.
It may be a generational thing.
I occasionally find myself thumbing through synth presets because I came of age before there were synth presets. I find something applicable and tweak the ever lovin’ Bejeebus out of it.
Love Reason. Will upgrade if only to support the company in a non subscription manner.
Proper respect to the Reason Team & ReasonTalk
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

sasasch

19 Jun 2024

Is there a way to pay the Upgrade in installments , like Arturia offers. For example in 4 rates a 50€ via Paypal ?

Ottostrom

19 Jun 2024

chimp_spanner wrote:
18 Jun 2024
I had a little ramble, but nice to get my thoughts into order! I definitely wanna do some 13 tutorials though. There's a lot to love still. These are just my thoughts!

I like your wishlist a lot, I hope RS watch this!
Good run-through of the changes :thumbs_up:

rorystorm

19 Jun 2024

Ottostrom wrote:
18 Jun 2024
rorystorm wrote:
18 Jun 2024
really like how there's a third snap setting for an automation clip in the sequencer view tho, very tidy.
What do you mean by this? Sounds interesting
Yup, so, if you draw a clip in an automation laneand press enter, it opens in the sequencer and you can set a separate snap value which is different to the snap values for the sequencer and clips in edit view. I dunno, i don't think this was true before? The default setting is Grid.

It's pretty neat, but like I said in my earlier post, there seems to be a bug - for me at least - where there are no grid lines visible in the clip, and the same when you open an automation clip in the edit view by clicking on the Controller menu at the bottom left. Also when you do this the grid lines in the note clip disappear and you have to close and re open edit view to see them again. Going to send a ticket now about it.

Calazzus

19 Jun 2024

Billy+ wrote:
18 Jun 2024
doze wrote:
18 Jun 2024

Is this something is purposefully omitted? Been waiting for it, I don't think there has been official word on it's omission since VST2. Figured back then oh maybe when we get VST3 support, but still missing.

Well Mattias said in response to me that it's on the todo list... Read the thread : -on 27 Jan 2021 I've only been waiting since ummmm R9.5 isn't that when we first got VST support? what year was that again...
Since 2021 huh? I upgraded to Reason 12 hoping for VST MIDI in a point update at some point. Now 13 is here and still not implemented? At this point is it safe to assume it will never happen? Or do I have to wait for Reason 14?

rorystorm

19 Jun 2024

I've been spending the day going through my samples and categorizing them - very nerdy and very fun.

overall I'm liking the new browser a lot more than I thought I would although I think it's a little flawed which is no surprise as there's no perfect system. So, a couple of thoughts - I don't use presets that much so people who do might have a different experience.

Firstly while I think the idea of tagging samples, presets, rex files etc is a good one, I'm not in love with many of the actual tags presented. Some of them are useful - vintage, analogue, digital - but most of them feel very wishy washy and subjective and aren't really practical - for me at least. While I'd like to be able to create custom tags for myself I can see that this could be a bit chaotic and problematic in the real world. So yeah..... I dunno, maybe RS should invest in a little crowd sourcing and see if actual users can suggest other tags that would be more helpful.

I've only been concentrating on samples so far so I can't really say anything about the other categories, but some of the sub categories feel weirdly arbitrary. eg there's separate 3rd level sub-categories for tambourines and shakers, but NO COWBELL.

Words cannot express my feelings about this.

And 'skin' as a category? I dunno, feels a little Hannibal Lector.

Also it's a bit strange having separate sub categories for drums and percussion when there's so much cross over, and the Instruments & Phrases and Multisamples categories are essentially the same thing (tho I can see the reasons for differentiating between them). Another nit-picky thing - I can't see why there isn't a sub-category for brass which is combined with woodwinds under the Wind sub-category. I don't really use orchestral/acoustic instrument samples myself but if I did this would be really frustrating.

[EDIT - forgot to say, I'd also really like to have a category under Misc Samples for field recordings/noise floor/ambience/room sounds which I use a lot. And stabs. And blips/zaps].

While I've been writing this I've had a look at the other category types and they all look interesting. I particularly like the break down under rex loops although I wonder whether the genre-based sub-categorization will age well?

Last thing, like everyone I'm disappointed about being unable to organise my devices through adding to favourites folders or, in the new system, being able to categorize and tag them myself. Up until now I've had a set of favourite folders for each kind of effect type (compressors, filter, eq etc) and within each folder the devices have been organised by preference and how often I'd be likely to use them. The new ability to search devices by type is cool but there's no ability to sort by preference and the range of options is a bit limited as well. I haven't come across any glaring omissions yet for REs but VSTs are clearly a problem and being able to add my own tags to devices is like, a major priority.

TLDR: There's obviously been a lot of thought and work that's gone into this and overall, like I said with some minor caveats I am actually much more on board than I thought I would be!

Aosta

19 Jun 2024

chimp_spanner wrote:
18 Jun 2024

Thanks for this, it confirmed to me that I won't be upgrading, that new browser is absolutely not the way I work, I'll be buying Ableton instead for an extra £59.
Tend the flame

steff3

19 Jun 2024

chimp_spanner wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Mccauld wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Guys,

The awareness that this seems close to a show-stopper for quite a couple of people should be given since a couple of weeks …
I am curious how Reasonstudios will deal with this.

For me, this is one of the reasons why an update to 13 is not doable. (I am also no fan of the attached editing area - like one has it in so may DAWs)

Just my 2 cents
Best

QVprod

19 Jun 2024

sasasch wrote:
19 Jun 2024
Is there a way to pay the Upgrade in installments , like Arturia offers. For example in 4 rates a 50€ via Paypal ?
When checking out there’s an option for paying over time with Klarna. That would break up the payments. I’m not sure of the amounts though.

RobBarnett

19 Jun 2024

chimp_spanner wrote:
18 Jun 2024

THIS, please listen Reason Studios. Your current “strategy” is driving folks towards your competitors products

tobypearce

19 Jun 2024

chimp_spanner wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Mccauld wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Guys,

Yes, I feel very disappointed by this too.

Last year I tried bigwig, but although there was a fair amount to like, grouping devices together in custom orders was THE thing I missed most.

CATEGORIES FOR DEVICES.

The little list of categories at the top of the device browser, whilst initially promising, it far from optimised:
"Samples"? Surely, "Samplers".
Samples contains devices that you can't add samples too, and aren't samplers at all, like Radical Piano.

Being able to change these categories would go some way to fix this whole thing device browsing.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Lizard

19 Jun 2024

Reason will always have a warm place in my heart so I think I can confidently say I'll have R13 at some point but it is no longer my workflow so the upgrade promoting "workflow" isn't of great appeal. I still use R12 in VST though as I still find today the core Re some of the most enjoyable devices to work with. I'd still so rock a Thor bumper sticker on the car. I have not seen anything directly stated of advancements to that unless I missed it. Can anyone comment?

I'm a little discouraged to hear some not so overly impressed on Polytone. I'm sure that is subjective but I'll admit on the face there does not look to be anything too earth shattering in way of innovation there. It isn't always about that though as it looks to have the same presentation that draws me to reason devices to begin with. Well laid out interface that produces quick results. But in a world of a lot of similar it isn't pressing for me to have.

So it is in my future just not seeing it today. It does seem a bit steep for the upgrade. I would have expected $149 USD with the occasional $129 sale and then the not-so often $99 USD limited offer. Should that day come (and hope it will be) will be where it will be in my arsenal and maybe I will be able to admit I was wrong and how the workflow changed my life.

jjpscott01

19 Jun 2024

I had all day yesterday to play with Version 13 and I must say I'm very happy with this update. This version feels faster to me, it looks better than it ever has, and im loving some of the new smaller features.

The zoom to selection button is very helpful, the drag to zoom in the timeline is a huge time saver, the Devices tab being snapped in place is nice, and I love the new editor with the tools right there without opening a separate window.

The new browser was something I was concerned initially with but after getting some use out of it yesterday I think I'm going to like it better this way. It does feel faster, its quick when using the F9 key to open and close it, and preset browsing still works beautifully with my Nektar controller.

I worked all day yesterday using tons of RE's and VST's and so far its rock solid per usual. Overall this version of Reason to me just feels refined and I'm appreciative to RS for the attention paid to the actual DAW itself this time around.
| REASON 12 | BITWIG 5 | CUBASE 13 | SSL2+ | AUDIENT ID4 | ERIS E5 MONITORS | ESP LTD TE-212 | MXL MICS | LES PAUL TRADITIONAL PRO II | NEKTAR T4 |[/color] :reason: :re: :PUF_balance: :refill:

chimp_spanner

19 Jun 2024

It's definitely lightyears beyond 12 in terms of stability and usability! I think anyone involved in the testing will know we went HARD. Never squashed so many bugs. Not even during mosquito season! I haven't had anything not load or act weird or anything. And I will say I'm a huge fan of the new dark theme. It feels quite....serious. I like serious. I'm a serious guy :lol:

psonicspot

19 Jun 2024

Check out Thomann - they offer the upgrade to V13 for $175.00 and i'm pretty sure they use Paypal as a pay source.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/reason_st ... _vers.htm
sasasch wrote:
19 Jun 2024

aeox
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2024

I can't figure out how to get rid of that "Edit Area" that is taking up half my screen :D For this Reason, I'm sticking to 12

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

19 Jun 2024

aeox wrote:
19 Jun 2024
I can't figure out how to get rid of that "Edit Area" that is taking up half my screen :D For this Reason, I'm sticking to 12
In Reason 12 the "Edit Area" took up your entire screen though :?

You can open/close it with F9 or shift+tab. It also auto opens when you double-click a clip or hit Enter with a clip selected. It can also be closed with Escape.

wendylou

19 Jun 2024

chimp_spanner wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Mccauld wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Guys,

I tried your suggestion (as detailed in your video) and although it does work, what a complete hassle! I hope RS adds the ability to "favorite" or "heart" things quickly, then tag them such that either they are found under the tagging system, or else provide an easier way to add such favorites to sidebar user folders, i.e. FAV Effects, Pads, Leads, etc. I'm not going to do this manually by saving every init patches, then placing them in the sidebar folders one by one!
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

• Information