Reason 13 has arrived: Release Notes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ReasonUser

18 Jun 2024

CONGRATULATIONS PROPELLERHEADS !! :clap: Today is an exciting day for me. Reason user since version 4. :thumbup:

stratatonic

18 Jun 2024

joeyluck wrote:
18 Jun 2024
stratatonic wrote:
18 Jun 2024

Huh? :shock: Can you explain how one does that?
Under macOS System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts

Here's a video:
https://youtube.com/shorts/0j7QxSAgAWs
Thanks for your help Joey! :)

False Mirror

18 Jun 2024

I'm using the stage manager on MacOS.

In Reason 12 i could easily switch between the detached Rack/Sequencer/Mixer as they were grouped together.

In Reason 13 this behavior has changed. It seems stage manager doesn't recognize these as individual application windows when detached.

Navigating between detached Rack/Sequencer/Mixer windows this way is much more cumbersome.

wendylou

18 Jun 2024

I'm puzzled by the new BROWSER... I have a folder with all my song files I added to the sidebar in Reason 12, but when I click on it in 13, it's empty. The only way I can open a song file is using the Menu "Open".
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

robussc

18 Jun 2024

MattiasHG wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Hi! This is a bug we caught last minute, Reason 13 changes the shared resources that Reason 12 uses so the last installed version takes precedence. You can re-install Reason 12 at any time and it'll work fine. We're fixing this ASAP in a point update, sorry about that!
Ah, the good old "Oh Shit!" release. I've had many of those over the years...
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

RandomNoise

18 Jun 2024

The browser inside of RRP is a move backwards in my opinion.. here is a few points I've discovered while playing around with it so far:

- In the previous version of Reason the browser was attached to the left side and was completely separated from the rack, which gave sufficient space to drag and drop elements, specially when loading samples to any one of the samplers. I did notice that the browser auto collapse now when dragging stuff to the rack, but that doesn't help the fact that the browser is "stuck" inside the plugin container and can't be moved away from the rack space.
- Not sure if this is a bug or not, but there is no way to switch on the browser between browsing for samples vs browsing for patches. It seems like I have to use the entry point for that, ie select on the respected folder icon either for patches or samples
- If I load a bunch of samples and then hit the cancel button by mistake, all the samples that were loaded are gone... why do we even need the cancel and ok button on the RRP version? this flow doesn't make sense to me..

These are not bugs, but by design product of the new browser, so I am not sure if this is planned to be improved or remain as is from now on :(
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 21.11.05.png
Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 21.11.05.png (865.56 KiB) Viewed 3306 times

RandomNoise

18 Jun 2024

RandomNoise wrote:
18 Jun 2024
The browser inside of RRP is a move backwards in my opinion.. here is a few points I've discovered while playing around with it so far:

- In the previous version of Reason the browser was attached to the left side and was completely separated from the rack, which gave sufficient space to drag and drop elements, specially when loading samples to any one of the samplers. I did notice that the browser auto collapse now when dragging stuff to the rack, but that doesn't help the fact that the browser is "stuck" inside the plugin container and can't be moved away from the rack space.
- Not sure if this is a bug or not, but there is no way to switch on the browser between browsing for samples vs browsing for patches. It seems like I have to use the entry point for that, ie select on the respected folder icon either for patches or samples
- If I load a bunch of samples and then hit the cancel button by mistake, all the samples that were loaded are gone... why do we even need the cancel and ok button on the RRP version? this flow doesn't make sense to me..

These are not bugs, but by design product of the new browser, so I am not sure if this is planned to be improved or remain as is from now on :(
Ok, at least if I extend the devices panel I can slightly move it to the left, but still... it is taking some unnecessary space and still blocking the way
Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 21.40.43.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 21.40.43.jpg (514.94 KiB) Viewed 3269 times

helmutson

18 Jun 2024

RandomNoise wrote:
18 Jun 2024

You're absolutely right, this new "faster" browser make things in the RRP not better. I don't like it. Another window cover the still problematic (not resizable) RRP window is a real pain. I really don't understand what the sense behind is ... whatever, I'll not spending 199.-€ for this. If I could purchase the new RE's alone , I would do it and keep my R12.

doze

18 Jun 2024

Billy+ wrote:
18 Jun 2024
MattiasHG Stll no VST MIDI
on 27 Jan 2021
Is this something is purposefully omitted? Been waiting for it, I don't think there has been official word on it's omission since VST2. Figured back then oh maybe when we get VST3 support, but still missing.

Neo

18 Jun 2024

RandomNoise wrote:
18 Jun 2024

Agree^

- I prefer R12s side panel over the floating window.
- I believe RS underestimated removing our fave folders feature as-well. I really hope is comes back in some form..
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

SoundFactor

18 Jun 2024

Wait, Start/Stop was never supported before with Ableton Link? Seems pretty important.

dusan.cani

18 Jun 2024

I miss the "X" close button placed on the top of the browser window. I instinctively want to close the browser by pressing this button but instead I have to realize that it can be done only by hitting the ESC or "Cancel" button placed on the bottom. Having "X" button on the top of the window in general is very basic requirement for good user experience. Weird that it's omitted for browser window.

Also browser window doesn't remember placement and its size after resizing it. It always gets the default placement and size after Reason launch. I don't want to have browser with its default placement and size, because it ruins my previous workflow where I had narrow list of patches on the side of the screen so I could comfortably see the devices while browsing the patches. It can be partially "emulated" with floating browser, but if the browser doesn't remember its placement and size, it's useless.

And regarding the edit mode, I can't find a way how to preserve the custom zoom for clips in edit mode. If I exit edit mode and reenter the clip editing again, the zoom is always lost because the clip zoom is automatically set to fit the screen.

Billy+

18 Jun 2024

doze wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Billy+ wrote:
18 Jun 2024
MattiasHG Stll no VST MIDI
on 27 Jan 2021
Is this something is purposefully omitted? Been waiting for it, I don't think there has been official word on it's omission since VST2. Figured back then oh maybe when we get VST3 support, but still missing.

Well Mattias said in response to me that it's on the todo list... Read the thread : -on 27 Jan 2021 I've only been waiting since ummmm R9.5 isn't that when we first got VST support? what year was that again...

Deep Schulzz

18 Jun 2024

The "select new patch" (or "select new sample") switch doesn't seem to be working correctly.

joeyluck

18 Jun 2024

Billy+ wrote:
18 Jun 2024
doze wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Well Mattias said in response to me that it's on the todo list... Read the thread : -on 27 Jan 2021 I've only been waiting since ummmm R9.5 isn't that when we first got VST support? what year was that again...
My guess is that it is lower priority because of demand and because there simply aren't as many "MIDI effect" plugins. And isn't their existence kind of a hack? So might also be trickier than you think to implement?

Billy+

18 Jun 2024

joeyluck wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Billy+ wrote:
18 Jun 2024

My guess is that it is lower priority because of demand and because there simply aren't as many "MIDI effect" plugins. And isn't their existence kind of a hack? So might also be trickier than you think to implement?
Might be trickier ? um doesn't every other DAW on the market have support for VST Midi... 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

helmutson

18 Jun 2024

Where is the R13 Demo download ?

Aosta

18 Jun 2024

joeyluck wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Speaking of Subtractor, don't forget to check out the new Subtractor update, AKA Subtractor with a Stereo Tool on it :)

I've enjoyed going through all of the old Subtractor presets with Stereo Tool engaged.
1001 subtractor patches refill needs a dust off :thumbup:
Tend the flame

selig
RE Developer

18 Jun 2024

Billy+ wrote:
18 Jun 2024
joeyluck wrote:
18 Jun 2024

Might be trickier ? um doesn't every other DAW on the market have support for VST Midi... 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Every DAW also has markers, edit groups, and auto punch, doesn't mean it's not tricky to do in Reason (which has always had a bit of an unconventional approach IMO).
Selig Audio, LLC

helmutson

18 Jun 2024

joeyluck wrote:
18 Jun 2024
helmutson wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Where is the R13 Demo download ?
viewtopic.php?p=664909#p664909
Thanx alot :thumbup:

StephenHutchinson

18 Jun 2024

stratatonic wrote:
18 Jun 2024
joeyluck wrote:
18 Jun 2024

Under macOS System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts

Here's a video:
https://youtube.com/shorts/0j7QxSAgAWs
Thanks for your help Joey! :)
Here are my Custom Shortcuts for Reason:

Custom Shortcuts Reason MacOs.jpg
Custom Shortcuts Reason MacOs.jpg (63.72 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

Pepin

18 Jun 2024

It's not clear how a MIDI VST would work in the rack. Players (the closest we have to midi routing in the rack) are not multi-channel aware and only send note data to a single device directly below them. And VSTs in Reason currently do not receive MIDI data directly. It's all dependent on Remote apart from a very small subset of performance controls and note data. This breaks MIDI learn in many plugins.

As it stands, a fully capable MIDI VST device would need to route midi via dropdowns, and rack devices would need to receive that MIDI in a fashion that isn't undercut by the limitations of Remote.

Basically, it's not a straightforward problem.

aquil

18 Jun 2024

Pepin wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Players (the closest we have to midi routing in the rack) are not multi-channel aware and only send note data to a single device directly below them.
Nobody meant that all MIDI features should be implemented immediately so that the full spectrum of a VST MIDI plugin is usable. Honestly, it would be enough for me if I could use, for example, BlueArp as a pure "note trigger". I'd prefer some support for VST MIDI plugins, even if limited, rather than none at all.

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2024

Hmm, ... ... ... it feels strange that the browser is trapped within the Window, but I have an idea of what may be on the horizon UI-wise based on how it behaves :)

Notice that the floating browser doesn't prevent you from interacting with the rest of the DAW.

Bounce clip to track disappears while playing. I'd rather it be greyed out.

We'll see if this grows on me. It feels snappier for some reason.
Last edited by avasopht on 18 Jun 2024, edited 1 time in total.

• Information