How to recommend Reason Studios to your friend

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Mohammadyarahmad
Posts: 98
Joined: 15 Jan 2023

Post 10 Feb 2024

Hello,
You have a friend who is using Ableton or Logic Pro for example.
What do you say to attract him and bring his attention to Reason Studios?

Thanks

User avatar
dioxide
Posts: 1787
Joined: 15 Jul 2015

Post 10 Feb 2024

Ha ha. I'm waiting for advice on how to approach this. I know two Ableton Live users who are fighting limitations and technical problems that come with VSTs and hardware. I just don't have these problems because I'm using Reason standalone with REs. Their lives could be so much easier.

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
Posts: 2315
Joined: 06 Nov 2021
Location: Close to the Edge

Post 10 Feb 2024

Mohammadyarahmad wrote:
10 Feb 2024
What do you say to attract him and bring his attention to Reason Studios?
Just show them this picture :puf_wink:


Image
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Bes
Competition Winner
Posts: 1128
Joined: 22 Feb 2017

Post 10 Feb 2024

why would you recommend reason?
- Certified Reason expert

Mohammadyarahmad
Posts: 98
Joined: 15 Jan 2023

Post 10 Feb 2024

Bes wrote:
10 Feb 2024
why would you recommend reason?
Rack-based ( makes a sense of reality )
The unique distortion, Scream 4
low RAM usage
Speed of running the Daw even on medium systems

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
Posts: 2315
Joined: 06 Nov 2021
Location: Close to the Edge

Post 10 Feb 2024

Bes wrote:
10 Feb 2024
why would you recommend reason?
For me, one of the big distinctions with other DAWs is that fully emulated SSL-mixer. That's why I'm running the mixer on that big screen :puf_wink:

Also, when hitting a track in the sequencer of the rack-button on a mixer channel, automatically focuses the rack-screen for the related instruments and FX. All this gives a very hardware-like experience that no other DAW gives you.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

scotward57
Posts: 143
Joined: 28 Jul 2019

Post 10 Feb 2024

Reason is still the King when it comes to giving you the closest hardware experience in software. And for sound design, the Combinator is hard to beat. Only if the RRP would allow VSTs and stock devices from other DAWs!!

avasopht
Competition Winner
Posts: 3943
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 10 Feb 2024

I focus on the tools most appropriate for the individual.

Reason is the easiest way to empower yourself as an engineer, though Bitwig Grid has similar capabilities.

But I'd recommend Studio One as a safe DAW default, Reason, Live and FLStudio offering very different alternative takes, ... And so on.

Logic is another no brainer starting point (especially since Apple practically give it away).

Personally I like having the availability of alternate workflows.

Sometimes I'll see what happens if I work in studio one with only Xpand!2, or the Korg Collection for instruments.

But Reason is my box of tricks.

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 3495
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 10 Feb 2024

Make good music. When they ask tell them what you use.

avasopht
Competition Winner
Posts: 3943
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 11 Feb 2024

QVprod wrote:
10 Feb 2024
Make good music. When they ask tell them what you use.
Best approach

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 2527
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 11 Feb 2024

I've read lots of music interviews over the years and there have occasionally been people who say "I started out on Reason but then moved to Live (or AnotherDAW). I've never seen anyone say they moved the opposite way.

As for the rack, mixer and cables paradigm, I'm not sure it's as relevant as it once was. There are now several generations of musicians who have never seen a 19 inch rack in the flesh and who have only ever plugged cables directly into their audio interface. Everything else is in the box. For those people it makes more sense to select a sidechain input from a drop-down menu than to flip to the back of a rack and start plugging pretend cables into pretend sockets.

I'm convinced Reason's future is as a plugin to other DAWs. They just need to sort out their pricing, maybe by offering the plugin as a separate product or by including a free a cut-down version with any RE purchase, because right now Reason has a very high entry cost for those just wanting to use it as a plugin.

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
Posts: 2315
Joined: 06 Nov 2021
Location: Close to the Edge

Post 11 Feb 2024

DaveyG wrote:
11 Feb 2024
I've never seen anyone say they moved the opposite way.
Not only did I move the opposite way, it is in my signature below for quite a while now :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 2527
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 11 Feb 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
11 Feb 2024
DaveyG wrote:
11 Feb 2024
I've never seen anyone say they moved the opposite way.
Not only did I move the opposite way, it is in my signature below for quite a while now :puf_wink:
I must have missed reading your interview.

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
Posts: 2315
Joined: 06 Nov 2021
Location: Close to the Edge

Post 11 Feb 2024

DaveyG wrote:
11 Feb 2024
I must have missed reading your interview.
Aah, I forgot you must be famous (in one way or another) for your view on things to be legitimate :lol:

So my decision to move to Reason from Reaper has no merit because... what?
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 2527
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 11 Feb 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
11 Feb 2024
DaveyG wrote:
11 Feb 2024
I must have missed reading your interview.
Aah, I forgot you must be famous (in one way or another) for your view on things to be legitimate :lol:

So my decision to move to Reason from Reaper has no merit because... what?
Lots of things you say have no merit.
I suppose you could read the whole of the first paragraph if you wanted to understand rather than just quoting a subset. Selective quoting is a very easy game.

Here:
crimsonwarlock wrote:
11 Feb 2024
Reaper has no merit
:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 11729
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 11 Feb 2024

The best you can do is encourage someone to TRY Reason.
As everyone is different, Reason is not the best music creation software for EVERYONE (even if it IS the best for me).
See "how to recommend the color Blue to your friend"…
Selig Audio, LLC

robussc
Posts: 478
Joined: 03 May 2022

Post 11 Feb 2024

Getting this back on track… fighting with VSTs in Cubase was exactly the reason I fell in love with Reason and rack, because with it the true power of “virtual studio technology” was realized. That got turned up to 11 when audio recording and the SSL mixer were added.

Any missing bits (better reverb, LUFs metering, classic synths) can still be added thanks to VST and RE support. But for an all in one package that makes sense and gets out of your way (mostly) Reason is the answer. Especially for the home studio.

(I’ve tried ProTools and others but the amount of mental mapping you need to remember how things are hooked up is staggering!)
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

User avatar
tomusurp
Posts: 280
Joined: 30 Jan 2022
Location: USA

Post 11 Feb 2024

You don't really need to. For example I collab with producers who use different DAW's. Reason is my main DAW but I also use FL Studio and Logic here and there.
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/c/TomUsurp
https://www.tomusurp.com


:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 3823
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 11 Feb 2024

Mohammadyarahmad wrote:
10 Feb 2024
Hello,
You have a friend who is using Ableton or Logic Pro for example.
What do you say to attract him and bring his attention to Reason Studios?

Thanks
Among your musician friends and others, people you talk to etc, how many of them use Reason like yourself?
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

avasopht
Competition Winner
Posts: 3943
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 11 Feb 2024

DaveyG wrote:
11 Feb 2024
I've read lots of music interviews over the years and there have occasionally been people who say "I started out on Reason but then moved to Live (or AnotherDAW). I've never seen anyone say they moved the opposite way.

As for the rack, mixer and cables paradigm, I'm not sure it's as relevant as it once was. There are now several generations of musicians who have never seen a 19 inch rack in the flesh and who have only ever plugged cables directly into their audio interface. Everything else is in the box. For those people it makes more sense to select a sidechain input from a drop-down menu than to flip to the back of a rack and start plugging pretend cables into pretend sockets.

I'm convinced Reason's future is as a plugin to other DAWs. They just need to sort out their pricing, maybe by offering the plugin as a separate product or by including a free a cut-down version with any RE purchase, because right now Reason has a very high entry cost for those just wanting to use it as a plugin.
Well, there's DJ Khalil (who I'm guessing just uses RRP now).



RRP is strong and if RS could just buy out the Sonic Reality samples and let RE developers and sound designers loose on them, they'd be close to a no-brainer purchase for DAW users.



Maybe add a sort of "Lab mode" for designing and experimenting with sounds, ... ... ...

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 1134
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 12 Feb 2024

Mohammadyarahmad wrote:
10 Feb 2024
Hello,
You have a friend who is using Ableton or Logic Pro for example.
What do you say to attract him and bring his attention to Reason Studios?

Thanks
How much do you value their friendship? ;)

Seriously though, I'd sit down with them and create a project to show "what's what" and then encourage them to try it either using the demo or paying the $1 for a month of R+. Everyone's different. I found the hard way that the best DAW for me "on paper" (Bitwig) doesn't actually work for me because I need a specific ratio of flexibility / limitations to be able to start & finish stuff. That's not something you can know from talking with people or watching a YT.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 1134
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 12 Feb 2024

DaveyG wrote:
11 Feb 2024
As for the rack, mixer and cables paradigm, I'm not sure it's as relevant as it once was. There are now several generations of musicians who have never seen a 19 inch rack in the flesh and who have only ever plugged cables directly into their audio interface. Everything else is in the box. For those people it makes more sense to select a sidechain input from a drop-down menu than to flip to the back of a rack and start plugging pretend cables into pretend sockets.
You'd think so, but my son - 20 at the time, who never used a music hardware other than a guitar - liked Reason the most (having tried Bitwig, Live, Studio One and Cubase) simply because the "virtual studio" paradigm was actually making the most sense for him, as he could intuit how it would translate into the "real" world.

Other DAWs kind of assume you already know how real world studio works and expect you to agree to the metaphors of the digital world representing it.

Obviously, that's circumstantial evidence :?

DaveyG wrote:
11 Feb 2024
I'm convinced Reason's future is as a plugin to other DAWs. They just need to sort out their pricing, maybe by offering the plugin as a separate product or by including a free a cut-down version with any RE purchase, because right now Reason has a very high entry cost for those just wanting to use it as a plugin.
God, I hope you're wrong. I really don't see RRP value proposition in other DAWs, especially in something like Live or Bitwig, where doing the patching is so much faster, more flexible and easier to edit. The only value of RRP - for me, obviously - is the ability to use the Reason's instruments, effects & players elsewhere and those should be offered as individual plugins, instead.

I agree on the idea of "free empty RRP", though - I feel like this would (ironically) bring them a lot more money from RE sales, that they could put in good use towards new devices and the DAW.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
visheshl
Posts: 1235
Joined: 27 Sep 2019

Post 12 Feb 2024

Read this thread a little bit, not the whole thing, the reason I keep going back to ableton live is control surface integration.
In live you have your controller is configured to control 8 knobs and it works on every device, you just select a vst and move whatever knobs you want to control, and then your controller automatically controls the knobs.
Reason lacks such a system.
And making controller maps for thousands of devices is a tedious process.
So with reason you're back to keyboard and mouse.
With live my small controller dynamically controls the whole application.
reason needs to provide an easy gui tool to map your controller quickly for hundreds of devices once and then you're set.

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 1134
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 12 Feb 2024

visheshl wrote:
12 Feb 2024
Read this thread a little bit, not the whole thing, the reason I keep going back to ableton live is control surface integration.
In live you have your controller is configured to control 8 knobs and it works on every device, you just select a vst and move whatever knobs you want to control, and then your controller automatically controls the knobs.
Reason lacks such a system.
And making controller maps for thousands of devices is a tedious process.
So with reason you're back to keyboard and mouse.
With live my small controller dynamically controls the whole application.
reason needs to provide an easy gui tool to map your controller quickly for hundreds of devices once and then you're set.
Was about to ask this w.r.t. Reason, thinking I've missed something. Too bad :(
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

tewoc
Posts: 12
Joined: 16 Jan 2024

Post 12 Feb 2024

To my friend:

"So my dear friend, I love Reason and use it since the early days, but the company is not spreading trust to its own DAW userbase. To be honest to you my friend, I would not recommend you to buy it, because there is a strange "once a year go online" licence sheme and some hard missing core features, too. See my friend, the main reason is the lack of sequencer and workflow features, even if the sequencer is not that bad at all and the rack & ssl mixer for sure are very cool.
Nobody really knows how everything will develop in the future with this software and in my personal feeling there is a lack of community communication. I hope they change this strategy, but it doesn't look like they will do it soon. So right now I just can't recommend it to you, even if I would like to."

I love you my friend.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests