Assuming there's going be one, what you think is coming in Reason 13?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
Re8et
Competition Winner
Posts: 1513
Joined: 14 Nov 2016

Post 28 Dec 2023

selig wrote:
18 Dec 2023
Re8et wrote:
18 Dec 2023
Actually it can't even record a player device MIDI without the send to track option...
problem is, it's not possible to assign a midi track to a player track...
A one shot midi take you mean? Would be useful...

lots to do...

Here subtractor receives player midi but no midi is rec.
Maybe it needs a player to sequencer midi translator device... idk...

seq.jpg
Allow me to introduce you to the DIRECT RECORD switch at the top of the Player stack.
It does exactly what you'd think it does, which is what you are asking for if I'm not totally mistaken.
Ooooh... wow... thank you Selig!
I never thought it was about that, I also completely overlooked it... :oops:

Back to the original question, my way to record a midi loop right now is to NOT loop the section
I want to record, let the seq bar go past the 4/4, then cut out the tail...

Anyway, one thing Reason could do in future updates, is to link manuals to right click of a selected instrument
or rack, or sequencer section.... I still do not understand the use of the tutorial window...

There is a MIDI RECORD section in the sequencer tutorial, but there is no mention of the PLAYER DIRECT record...
It would be 1000 times more useful if all of ones instruments Manuals were available in such a window...
I mean, currently is just a waste of pixels real estate, especially tedious on low resolution laptops...‰

Reminiscence
Posts: 257
Joined: 31 May 2016
Location: Earth

Post 28 Dec 2023

Another Suite edition...
Last edited by Reminiscence on 28 Dec 2023, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Re8et
Competition Winner
Posts: 1513
Joined: 14 Nov 2016

Post 28 Dec 2023

Loque wrote:
18 Dec 2023
selig wrote:
18 Dec 2023


Allow me to introduce you to the DIRECT RECORD switch at the top of the Player stack.
It does exactly what you'd think it does, which is what you are asking for if I'm not totally mistaken.
Overlooked it lol. Well, I never needed it. Thanks for the hint.
Manual seems to have not yet been updated on the Direct button.
I didn't knew it either.
If manual was indexed to right click of higlighted instrument/interface, life would be easier...
Screenshot 2023-12-28 alle 18.54.37.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 11032
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 28 Dec 2023

Re8et wrote:
28 Dec 2023
Loque wrote:
18 Dec 2023

Overlooked it lol. Well, I never needed it. Thanks for the hint.
Manual seems to have not yet been updated on the Direct button.
I didn't knew it either.
If manual was indexed to right click of higlighted instrument/interface, life would be easier...
Screenshot 2023-12-28 alle 18.54.37.jpg
That looks like it's about the RRP, which I don't think has the feature, does it?

User avatar
Crumbfort
Posts: 185
Joined: 20 May 2018

Post 28 Dec 2023

NoiseCrime wrote:
01 Dec 2023
What I think they will do
  • Minimal UI/functionality updates for sequencer.
  • A new Synth and maybe some Players.
  • Add some dumb AI shit.
Yeah, I'd say this is absolutely spot on. I've even lost hope that they'll add any additional functionality to the RRP (only 1x rack column and 4 inputs, really?).
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 1134
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 28 Dec 2023

Chi-Individual wrote:
28 Dec 2023
antic604 wrote:
28 Dec 2023
...not to mention some of them were available in previous versions, e.g. #7 (mono button in Mixer) could be added via Master insert programmer (a Combinator, for all intents and purposes), but they've ripped out the Inserts portion of the mixer willy-nilly, just because :thumbdown:
What other things were in previous version? IFRC mono has never been just a stock option. It's always been something needing to be added. There's no reason why at this point there's no mono option on each channel and the master channel.
There is mono on each channel - the "Width" knob.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Chi-Individual
Posts: 401
Joined: 09 Apr 2020

Post 28 Dec 2023

antic604 wrote:
28 Dec 2023

There is mono on each channel - the "Width" knob.
Question still remains. From your statement “other things” that I posted were in previous versions. What are those things? Width control is not really mono button.

User avatar
ReasonUser
Posts: 149
Joined: 24 Feb 2015

Post 29 Dec 2023

Has anyone from the company, or anyone with inside knowledge even hinted in the slightest that version 13 is actually a thing that is in the works ?

avasopht
Competition Winner
Posts: 3943
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 29 Dec 2023

ReasonUser wrote:
29 Dec 2023
Has anyone from the company, or anyone with inside knowledge even hinted in the slightest that version 13 is actually a thing that is in the works ?

They've just spent the last 20 years making new versions of Reason and you're asking for assurances!!!



---

They overhauled the codebase. You don't overhaul the codebase (which is a HUGE time investment) if you're not planning on continuing with the product.

Unless otherwise stated, software companies with one main product they've been working on for 2 decades are always working on the next version. Programmers don't twiddle their thumbs all day.

You're asking for too much assurance than is warranted.

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 11186
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 29 Dec 2023

ReasonUser wrote:
29 Dec 2023
Has anyone from the company, or anyone with inside knowledge even hinted in the slightest that version 13 is actually a thing that is in the works ?
Well, when a product or major version is released, the next major version is already in planning or in works.

Do you have any hints or evidence, that there is not a R13 planned or worked on?

As a side note, i just purchased a upgrade of a instrument to V2, and V1 was many years ago... Do you think they have a reliable business?

On the other hand, i still have some old FX, which just got a update to keep track with all that Apple updates. But still no hires UI or any other fixes or improvements. Do you think, they have a stable business and are a good investment?
Reason12, Win10

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 2527
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 29 Dec 2023

Plus, they need to push the subscription and regular new versions are key to that. 2024 will definitely bring R13.

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 11732
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 29 Dec 2023

Re8et wrote:
28 Dec 2023
There is a MIDI RECORD section in the sequencer tutorial, but there is no mention of the PLAYER DIRECT record...
Direct Record is in the Players section, page 347.
Selig Audio, LLC

Chi-Individual
Posts: 401
Joined: 09 Apr 2020

Post 31 Dec 2023

DaveyG wrote:
29 Dec 2023
Plus, they need to push the subscription and regular new versions are key to that. 2024 will definitely bring R13.
What is your guess on when it will drop? I’m guessing Q2 around May.

User avatar
fullforce
Posts: 849
Joined: 18 Aug 2018

Post 31 Dec 2023

antic604 wrote:
30 Nov 2023
Yeah, I know there's no roadmap, they said they want to make 12 the best it can be, that 13 might not happen or at the very least that they don't think about 13 yet, but I'm certain the work is underway, so...

What you think Reason 13 will have?

Notice, I'm not asking what you'd like to see!

I'm asking what you expect RS will do?

--------------------------------

My predictions:
  • VSTs inside of Reason Rack Plugin (RRP)
  • Multitimbrality in RRP, i.e. ability to send multiple MIDI Channel data to single instance of RRP (it can already output several audio streams, I believe)
  • Ability to install & use RRP without Reason DAW
Duh. Coffee machine.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 2527
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 31 Dec 2023

Chi-Individual wrote:
31 Dec 2023
DaveyG wrote:
29 Dec 2023
Plus, they need to push the subscription and regular new versions are key to that. 2024 will definitely bring R13.
What is your guess on when it will drop? I’m guessing Q2 around May.
My guess is as worthless as the next person's. I just hope they release it when it's ready rather than when the marketing team say. Or, to put it another way, I hope they have learned the lessons from the shambolic launch of R12. That stuff did lasting damage to the reputation Reason had for robustness and reliability.

As someone who is still on R11 I find it hard to say what they would have to include in R13 to get me to upgrade but I am prepared to be surprised.

avasopht
Competition Winner
Posts: 3943
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 31 Dec 2023

DaveyG wrote:
31 Dec 2023
My guess is as worthless as the next person's. I just hope they release it when it's ready rather than when the marketing team say. Or, to put it another way, I hope they have learned the lessons from the shambolic launch of R12. That stuff did lasting damage to the reputation Reason had for robustness and reliability.

As someone who is still on R11 I find it hard to say what they would have to include in R13 to get me to upgrade but I am prepared to be surprised.
You'd think so, but you only need to look to other industries to see how blinded leaders can be by ideology and the wrong corporate mantras.

"Move fast and break things" worked for Facebook, right? Surely not going to be a problem with performance and stability critical software 🤡

User avatar
moneykube
Posts: 3449
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 31 Dec 2023

A extra master controller output to run a popcorn machine and read speculations in style. We all need to eat. :lightbulb:
Or a rack called "More Popcorn" perhaps?
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 11732
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 01 Jan 2024

Chi-Individual wrote:
28 Dec 2023
Width control is not really mono button.
No, technically it is a mono “knob”, which one could argue is way more powerful than just an “either/or” button. Like a synth oscillator or filter with key tracking On/Off vs being able to dial in the amount of tracking, or a compressor with a few ratio buttons vs a variable ratio knob, etc.
Selig Audio, LLC

Chi-Individual
Posts: 401
Joined: 09 Apr 2020

Post 01 Jan 2024

selig wrote:
01 Jan 2024
Chi-Individual wrote:
28 Dec 2023
Width control is not really mono button.
No, technically it is a mono “knob”, which one could argue is way more powerful than just an “either/or” button. Like a synth oscillator or filter with key tracking On/Off vs being able to dial in the amount of tracking, or a compressor with a few ratio buttons vs a variable ratio knob, etc.
I have no argument for your point. I agree with everything. My statement was just in response to someone saying the mono button feature I would like implemented in previous versions and that isn’t the truth. But anyway, bring on R13, it’s 2024 already. :clap:

Darkersound
Posts: 7
Joined: 22 Jun 2019

Post 02 Jan 2024

Evening all... don't often post but in the hope the team from Reason might actually read this here goes...

I have used Reason as my only production software since I got bogged down with Logic Pro 7 in 2004 (steep learning curve from outside to inside the box in a single leap). I found Reason to be the naturally easiest way in making this jump.

Within some of my suggestions I would like a "legacy switch" so we have a choice between the new & old.

1. Freeze option (an elegant solution where at a button press you can record your track & insert FX - instantly reducing CPU load).
2. Ableton style looping/sequencing
3. Improved VST integration (bugs)
4. Improved efficiency
5. Improved graphics (within the sequencer & generally)
6. Improved zooming
7. Improved sample loading (Kontakt etc)
8. Improved/updated Reason instruments (4k graphics / updated features / new presets).
9. Improved/updated Reason sample libraries & presets
10. Updated Mixer (along the lines of Harrison Mixbus or UA's LUNA)
11. New players
12. New synth(s)
13. Parity with Reason+ users (I have invested thousands of £'s into Reason/RE's over the last 20 years - not much to ask).
14. Grouping/stacks (like Logic)
15. Improved audio editing
16. Improved piano roll editing
17. Midi 2.0 & MPE

Happy new year.

https://soundcloud.com/darkersound1

User avatar
SebAudio
Posts: 367
Joined: 08 Mar 2015

Post 03 Jan 2024

antic604 wrote:
30 Nov 2023
My predictions:
  • VSTs inside of Reason Rack Plugin (RRP)
  • Multitimbrality in RRP, i.e. ability to send multiple MIDI Channel data to single instance of RRP (it can already output several audio streams, I believe)
  • Ability to install & use RRP without Reason DAW
Sure since RRP is 50% of users, new features are coming to it.
I don’t think the use cases for RRP imply the complexity of the 2 1st items. 3rd one seems inevitable.
What would be a great enhancement for RRP is some kind of « RRP Remote » by which I mean the ability to have an easier, direct, « 0 config » way to access sound modifiers than it’s today. NKS like or, simpler, Analog Lab « macros » like. I mean in Reason DAW, in KK or AL, you have direct MIDI remotes to change patch, change sound parameters and when you replace instruments (device) or navigate to the next, all is automatically well mapped in your controller. Not so with current RRP when each replaced device inside the rack renders to null your previous mapping.

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 11732
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 03 Jan 2024

Darkersound wrote:
02 Jan 2024
Evening all... don't often post but in the hope the team from Reason might actually read this here goes...
Great list, however the OP specifically asked not for a wish list but for what you thought RS would actually do – so, more about predictions than hopes!
Selig Audio, LLC

Bes
Competition Winner
Posts: 1128
Joined: 22 Feb 2017

Post 04 Jan 2024

i keep thinking of interesting uses for the tutorial screen, the one that pulls in from the rightmost edge. today i think they should replace it with a combination of project sample editor and organiser and also for organising, a project spreadsheet from where you can connect multiple rack devices and modulation sources without flipping the rack and also do other spreadsheet stuff like conditional actions, functions and that

lol please do my idea
- Certified Reason expert

polysix
Posts: 83
Joined: 09 Sep 2015

Post 05 Jan 2024

I hope Clips like Ableton / Bitwig with good controller integration like Push or other Pad Controller are coming. This future for jaming i miss so much that i switch complet to Bitwig. But with the amasing organic sound of Reason instruments ... i will be back ( i don´t know why but i´m not a fan of Reason as Vst)

Drag and drop (like Bitwig) ..my second wich.

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 11732
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 05 Jan 2024

[Quick reminder what the OP asked for specifically in this thread:]

What you think Reason 13 will have?

Notice, I'm not asking what you'd like to see!

I'm asking what you expect RS will do?
Selig Audio, LLC

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests