Assuming there's going be one, what you think is coming in Reason 13?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
antic604
Posts: 1134
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 30 Nov 2023

Yeah, I know there's no roadmap, they said they want to make 12 the best it can be, that 13 might not happen or at the very least that they don't think about 13 yet, but I'm certain the work is underway, so...

What you think Reason 13 will have?

Notice, I'm not asking what you'd like to see!

I'm asking what you expect RS will do?

--------------------------------

My predictions:
  • VSTs inside of Reason Rack Plugin (RRP)
  • Multitimbrality in RRP, i.e. ability to send multiple MIDI Channel data to single instance of RRP (it can already output several audio streams, I believe)
  • Ability to install & use RRP without Reason DAW
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
MrFigg
Competition Winner
Posts: 9136
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 30 Nov 2023

Bugs
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Tinnitus
Posts: 137
Joined: 15 Apr 2018

Post 30 Nov 2023

None of your three suggestions. Vst within the rack would be amazing but pretty difficult to implement I imagine.

I expect v13 to really only contain QOL DAW changes and perhaps a new instrument (which is a shame as they should be extending existing instruments such as adding all those things to mimic people on here suggest).

It would be great to be able to capture specific rack visual elements (a selected area of a device) and repeat them on the front of combi2s. But that suggestion isn't for this thread!

Lol at Bugs though.

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 3044
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 30 Nov 2023

antic604 wrote:
30 Nov 2023

Notice, I'm not asking what you'd like to see!

I'm asking what you expect RS will do?
A closed beta first and then an open beta which is scheduled for too short to fix all the bugs that get reported.

User avatar
zoidkirb
Posts: 752
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
Location: Brisbane Australia

Post 30 Nov 2023

They'll very possibly (hopefully?) copy the recent trends of Ableton and Cubase updates and deliver a heap of workflow, sequencer and GUI updates.
I don't see what else is realistically left after the big ticket items of VST rack, HD makeover, VST3 and Apple Silicon are now done, and they have all of the FX and instruments covered by now too (whether paid or with built in devices)

User avatar
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner
Posts: 4229
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 30 Nov 2023

Radical Banjo

User avatar
Jagwah
Posts: 2549
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 30 Nov 2023

Sequencer upgrades, and they are going to be wonderful.

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 1134
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 30 Nov 2023

zoidkirb wrote:
30 Nov 2023
I don't see what else is realistically left after the big ticket items of VST rack, HD makeover, VST3 and Apple Silicon are now done, and they have all of the FX and instruments covered by now too (whether paid or with built in devices)
MPE & MIDI 2.0 support, clearly.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 2533
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 30 Nov 2023

Bugs, misery, forum angst, and the forum mods working overtime trying to put a positive spin on everything! :lol: :lol:

Oh, and built-in Netflix, because "Netflix is a competitor". :twisted:

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 1134
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 30 Nov 2023

Tinnitus wrote:
30 Nov 2023
I expect v13 to really only contain QOL DAW changes and perhaps a new instrument (which is a shame as they should be extending existing instruments such as adding all those things to mimic people on here suggest).
zoidkirb wrote:
30 Nov 2023
They'll very possibly (hopefully?) copy the recent trends of Ableton and Cubase updates and deliver a heap of workflow, sequencer and GUI updates.
Jagwah wrote:
30 Nov 2023
Sequencer upgrades, and they are going to be wonderful.

I'm happy to see your faith & confidence in RS supporting the DAW!

I hope you're right, and I'm wrong :thumbs_up: :clap:
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 1134
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 30 Nov 2023

DaveyG wrote:
30 Nov 2023
Oh, and built-in Netflix, because "Netflix is a competitor". :twisted:
I hope R+ sub will cover that! :? :lol:
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
zoidkirb
Posts: 752
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
Location: Brisbane Australia

Post 30 Nov 2023

antic604 wrote:
30 Nov 2023
zoidkirb wrote:
30 Nov 2023
I don't see what else is realistically left after the big ticket items of VST rack, HD makeover, VST3 and Apple Silicon are now done, and they have all of the FX and instruments covered by now too (whether paid or with built in devices)
MPE & MIDI 2.0 support, clearly.
That wasn't in your predictions either. Anyway, I don't see RS getting out in front of the technology curve on these issues and I don't see a large percentage of the fans asking for this stuff either. Midi 2.0 I predict 10 years for RS get onboard.

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 2533
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 30 Nov 2023

antic604 wrote:
30 Nov 2023
DaveyG wrote:
30 Nov 2023
Oh, and built-in Netflix, because "Netflix is a competitor". :twisted:
I hope R+ sub will cover that! :? :lol:
Nope. You'll need an R++ sub for that. More expensive but it will be object-oriented.

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 1134
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 30 Nov 2023

Tinnitus wrote:
30 Nov 2023
None of your three suggestions.
I think those are actually likely - introduction of RRP in 11, then in 12 focus on new combinator, new 1st party REs and even improved browser indicate their strategy is to build a hub / ecosystem. RRP could become a more advanced Kontakt, although geared less towards samples/audio playback and more towards synthesis & FX. And that needs multitimbrality, a lighter RRP that doesn't drag full DAW behind it, probably MPE/MIDI2.0 support too eventually.

Tinnitus wrote:
30 Nov 2023
Vst within the rack would be amazing but pretty difficult to implement I imagine.
I doubt it's technically difficult. There's already many plugins on the market that can host other plugins, either to bridge them from obsolete / other formats to one that's supported; or to allow for building a creative FX chains in DAWs that don't do it natively.

I think absence of this feature was a business choice to prioritize native devices and REs, just like inability of VSTs to output MIDI in Reason gives unfair advantage to Players.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Popey
Competition Winner
Posts: 2087
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 30 Nov 2023

Sequencer updates
A dynamic eq
Some sort of new player device
Some sort of new fx device (I would guess perhaps a reverb)

avasopht
Competition Winner
Posts: 3947
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 30 Nov 2023

I think Reason Studios will pick a lane.

There are bound to be lots of UI improvements. Maybe an entire overhaul.

But I think we'll see them commit more to a new or existing feature.

There have been many ideas flirted with over the years that were never approached wholeheartedly:
1. Reason / Record.
2. Allihoopa.
3. Rent to own.
4. Rigs type bundles.
5. Reason Suite.
6. Rack extension subscriptions (which was better than R+ because it also provided income to RE devs).
7. It wouldn't be fair to say Line6 because that was the result of them being bought out by a competitor.
8. Balance (which was brilliant and ahead of its time).
9. Ignition key.
10. PUF.
11. A bunch of mobile apps.
12. Really taking advantage of Rack Extensions (it's so underutilized, there are so many things it can do that they're not exploiting that would be awesome).
13. Rack Extension Designer (designing and rendering Rack Extensions from 3D models).
14. ReWire!

Things that could be built on further:
15. Remote (why does Bitwig have better support for third-party devices?)
16. Blocks.
17. UI update from around Reason 7 (notice how they didn't update ReGroove ... remember ReGroove ... it's still there).
18. Rack Extension technology - there should be hardware devices powered by Rack Extensions left right and centre.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 4411
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 30 Nov 2023

disappointment.

😆

nah—I think they’ve acknowledged somewhere that the DAW and its workflow needs attention, so hopefully that finally manifests in what they’re doing. honestly can’t think of what else they would focus on. the last thing I think Reason needs is more RS devices, TBH, and they’ve spent so long doing everything they possibly could to avoid improving the DAW in any meaningful way, I just can’t think of where else they could turn their gaze. then again, I’ve thought much the same since Reason 10, and they’ve managed to surprise me every time. 🙃
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Tinnitus
Posts: 137
Joined: 15 Apr 2018

Post 30 Nov 2023

antic604 wrote:
30 Nov 2023

Tinnitus wrote:
30 Nov 2023
Vst within the rack would be amazing but pretty difficult to implement I imagine.
I doubt it's technically difficult. There's already many plugins on the market that can host other plugins, either to bridge them from obsolete / other formats to one that's supported; or to allow for building a creative FX chains in DAWs that don't do it natively.
How world this work displaying a variable sized VST window in a fixed size reason rack?

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 1134
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 30 Nov 2023

Tinnitus wrote:
30 Nov 2023
How world this work displaying a variable sized VST window in a fixed size reason rack?
The same way it works in Reason DAW now - a separate pop-up window for the VST GUI, whereas VST container device in the rack would offer all the connectivity for MIDI, sidechain and audio.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 2533
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 30 Nov 2023

guitfnky wrote:
30 Nov 2023
the last thing I think Reason needs is more RS devices,
I agree but that's exactly what will happen. One free new device in the release, then several new devices trotted out free for subscribers and $100 to perpetual licence holders. Ker-ching!

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 11037
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 30 Nov 2023

I have no idea what they might add and I'm excited to be surprised 🥳

I remember when they added Pitch Edit. That wasn't on my mind as a possibile feature. That was an awesome surprise.

I have my wish list, but anything new is always great.

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 1134
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 30 Nov 2023

DaveyG wrote:
30 Nov 2023
guitfnky wrote:
30 Nov 2023
the last thing I think Reason needs is more RS devices,
I agree but that's exactly what will happen. One free new device in the release, then several new devices trotted out free for subscribers and $100 to perpetual licence holders. Ker-ching!
But isn't that their business model going forward? Objekt must be selling like hot cakes since it wasn't included in BF sale and apparently they're doing rather well financially, since they joined so late - I've spent most of my money allocated for BF elsewhere, because the deals were available 2-3 weeks prior.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Andy
Competition Winner
Posts: 93
Joined: 03 May 2017

Post 30 Nov 2023

Clip launching "done right".
An instrument/Fx.
Small sequencer improvements

User avatar
Kilsane
Posts: 277
Joined: 15 Sep 2016
Location: Villeneuve saint Georges - France

Post 30 Nov 2023

I would like to (these are just loose ideas like that)

- AI features like in synplant 2 for recreating a patch from a wave. (can be a good teaching tool)
- AI features like in Ableton 12 for searching for similar sounds
- A slightly more modern updated sequencer, inspired by what FL Studio does (with scale, slide, strum, colorful humanization of notes, etc.)
- An Ableton live / Bitwig style Clip launcher, combined with the players would be great
- A cheaper version of Reason+ for those who already have the latest version of Reason, online storage for collaboration and why not online distribution as offered by image line with FL studio (which only costs €80 per year)
- A graphic update of the Mclass tools (I find them ugly lol)
- Review the bounce to midi algorithm
- A new sample editor (the current one is very limited)
- Update of midi and implementation of midi 2
- Be able to reset several Racks at once
- Be able to put a Rack or a group of Racks in Full screen to focus on this or these Racks
- Fold the channel strips or display only the bus when several sounds are in the same bus
- be able to copy or move the entirety from one block to another just with a right click
- Notched buttons in the combiner and various visualization tools (view put, waveform, spectral, etc.) to give life to the combiners
- A resumption of communication and no more roadmap
...
...
I translated everything with Google translate, I'm not sure of the result lol

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 11738
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 30 Nov 2023

Whatever they add, it will likely be the opposite of the thing I want, if history is any indication…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Bes, MadGadget and 24 guests