BASSGRID's Terminal Master Effect - need some info

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 1239
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 08 Mar 2023

yo.

how many of you have this RE?
and how satisfied are you with it?

i am thinking to buy it.
but am not sure if i actually need it.

problem is:
songwriting is lets say easy. for me it is the easyest part.
so... to select desired/proper synth RE, make some notes and construst a song.
with some transitions, effects on it and so on. okey. everything is fine.

but problem is, again said, for me: the postproduction part - so the song shines and sounds good.
i know this is the part which you can study. but i have no interest neither money.
so i thought to buy this BASSGRID's TME RE. but as said i am not sure if this will solve my problems.

problem is... i use presets. so using combinators for mastering taken from master folder in stock folder of reason DAW.
i am not that educated neither skilled to properly tweak them... and on the other side there is little ammount of prestest for mastering.
there i would take advantage of this post and say what the f* and why did reason studios removed that mastering rig 3 or 4 or which was the last edition from the shop. damn. i am not satisfied and happy with their decision. but agaibn i could be wrong since i still do not know if that would solve my problems. perhaps is the stock material enough. i neighter do not know that.

so... what is your advice on the first place? should i go and buy this BASSGRID's mastering tool or what? those who have bought this RE... are you satisfied with it? is it powerfull enough? does it have little or many presets? and so on.

thank you for your time and possible answer.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | Sony WH-1000XM5 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 1239
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 08 Mar 2023

ps/edit: i forgot to write - i already trialed this RE so i have no second chance but to buy it. i do not know when i trialed it but i think sometime when it came out. i do not remember what was my conclusion... i forgot about it. so i do not remember about if i was satisfied or not. eh, sorry for that. it is quite long time ago. it happens.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | Sony WH-1000XM5 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 3098
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 08 Mar 2023

You could check some of the free/cheap online "AI" mastering services (e.g. bandlab mastering). That way you could perhaps get an OK result without much hassle.

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 1239
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 08 Mar 2023

jam-s, no. i already tried this ai mastering online things several times and no good results.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | Sony WH-1000XM5 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 11928
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 08 Mar 2023

I don't know that product, but I DO know what you speak of sounds more like a mixing problem than a mastering problem. Mastering shouldn't be to make bad mixes sound better, although sometimes you can't revisit the mix so you have no option. But you DO have an option, and may want to look into products that may help your mixing rather than leaving it to the mastering stage to sort out.
There are mixing aids such as from iZotope (Neutron 4) and others that can help automate the process for the uninitiated.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/neu ... 2NEALw_wcB
Unfortunately I can't speak to the effectiveness of those products either, as I learned "the hard way" how to mix!
But that's more where I'd be looking for 'help' if I was just starting out, as the better you can get the mix the better you can get the master IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

strangers
Competition Winner
Posts: 794
Joined: 06 Mar 2017
Location: NJ

Post 09 Mar 2023

I bought it during one of their sales since I do enjoy using channel strips. It's convenient having common things bundled into one package. I see this as more of a mixing tool. You'd never catch me using it for mastering. Mastering is where I'd rather use specific tools or reach for iZotope Ozone.

I've never actually looked at or used the presets for this RE. Unless they're broken down by function like Ozone, I couldn't see much use in presets that pre define several components and effects at one time without consideration of the song at hand.

I'll check out the presets later on and get back to you. I'm expecting them to be pretty random with all sorts of effects combinations that may be useful to at least see and give ideas on what you could do if you've got a specific tasks to tackle.

Do I use this RE often? No. I'll occasionally grab it for quick sound mangling.

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 1239
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 09 Mar 2023

okey, strangers, thank you.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | Sony WH-1000XM5 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

dusan.cani
Posts: 495
Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Location: Slovakia

Post 09 Mar 2023

Rising Night Wave wrote:
08 Mar 2023
ps/edit: i forgot to write - i already trialed this RE so i have no second chance but to buy it. i do not know when i trialed it but i think sometime when it came out. i do not remember what was my conclusion... i forgot about it. so i do not remember about if i was satisfied or not. eh, sorry for that. it is quite long time ago. it happens.
You can try any RE again through RE Subscription for 9 Euro per month. If you do, don't forget immediately cancel your RE subscription in the account, otherwise it would automatically charge another 9 Euro for next month for the devices you've initially selected.

RE Subscription is a great way to try REs forever and simultaneously it supports the developers with small additional fee. I was able to revisit some REs that I've tried in the past thru RE subscription and I found that I love much of them after another try. So because of RE subscription I ended with full purchase of the device and I have plans to buy more of them because of RE Subscription.

Unfortunately, Reason Studions are going to cancel the RE subscription service which doesn't make sense at all and it's against the RE market.

strangers
Competition Winner
Posts: 794
Joined: 06 Mar 2017
Location: NJ

Post 09 Mar 2023

Rising Night Wave wrote:
09 Mar 2023
okey, strangers, thank you.
I fired up Reason to check out the RE. It's very light on presets. There are five folders:
2 folders for "creative effects" with 25 presets in total between the two folders
1 folder for "filtering" with 8 presets
1 folder for "instrument processing" with 7 presets
1 folder for "mastering" with 9 presets

The presets wouldn't really serve the purpose you're after of fast tracking the mastering process or learning much from the presets. They're more random than anything. I'd again peg this as more of a mixing and/or effects channel strip than a mastering tool. You've got one compressor, 3 filters, an EQ, limiter, effects controller, 3 distortion/saturation units, 3 modulation effects, frequency shifter, delay and reverb.

I'm nowhere near as experienced as others on here but I'd never reach for 3/4 of those modules when mastering. Izotope Ozone isn't packed with a ton of presets (there are more than this RE) but there's enough to give you an idea of what can be accomplished with each module rather than this RE being a hodgepodge of effects with no real goal (strictly speaking about the presets). Ozone also has a mastering assistant. I've never actually used that feature and unfortunately can't comment there. There's a small chance I have a spare Ozone elements license that I'd be more than willing to give you. I'd just have to check if it was Neutron elements or Ozone elements and if I still have the unused license. If I happen to still have it, I'll PM you the license key. There's a 50/50 chance I already gave it away on the KVR forum. I just need to look through what I have still. It's sometimes a freebie option on Pluginboutique with purchases.

Steedus
Competition Winner
Posts: 1052
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Melbourne, AU

Post 09 Mar 2023

I use the Ozone Mastering Assistant to get the ball rolling on every track. It give you a great starting point I think.

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 1239
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 10 Mar 2023

dusan.cani wrote:
09 Mar 2023
Rising Night Wave wrote:
08 Mar 2023
ps/edit: i forgot to write - i already trialed this RE so i have no second chance but to buy it. i do not know when i trialed it but i think sometime when it came out. i do not remember what was my conclusion... i forgot about it. so i do not remember about if i was satisfied or not. eh, sorry for that. it is quite long time ago. it happens.
You can try any RE again through RE Subscription for 9 Euro per month. If you do, don't forget immediately cancel your RE subscription in the account, otherwise it would automatically charge another 9 Euro for next month for the devices you've initially selected.

RE Subscription is a great way to try REs forever and simultaneously it supports the developers with small additional fee. I was able to revisit some REs that I've tried in the past thru RE subscription and I found that I love much of them after another try. So because of RE subscription I ended with full purchase of the device and I have plans to buy more of them because of RE Subscription.

Unfortunately, Reason Studions are going to cancel the RE subscription service which doesn't make sense at all and it's against the RE market.
well, dusan.cani, i never thought about it but it sounds interesting. but i won't do this. and also, as you said, reason studios will remove this feature soon. so, no need for it.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | Sony WH-1000XM5 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 1239
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 10 Mar 2023

strangers wrote:
09 Mar 2023
Rising Night Wave wrote:
09 Mar 2023
okey, strangers, thank you.
I fired up Reason to check out the RE. It's very light on presets. There are five folders:
2 folders for "creative effects" with 25 presets in total between the two folders
1 folder for "filtering" with 8 presets
1 folder for "instrument processing" with 7 presets
1 folder for "mastering" with 9 presets

The presets wouldn't really serve the purpose you're after of fast tracking the mastering process or learning much from the presets. They're more random than anything. I'd again peg this as more of a mixing and/or effects channel strip than a mastering tool. You've got one compressor, 3 filters, an EQ, limiter, effects controller, 3 distortion/saturation units, 3 modulation effects, frequency shifter, delay and reverb.

I'm nowhere near as experienced as others on here but I'd never reach for 3/4 of those modules when mastering. Izotope Ozone isn't packed with a ton of presets (there are more than this RE) but there's enough to give you an idea of what can be accomplished with each module rather than this RE being a hodgepodge of effects with no real goal (strictly speaking about the presets). Ozone also has a mastering assistant. I've never actually used that feature and unfortunately can't comment there. There's a small chance I have a spare Ozone elements license that I'd be more than willing to give you. I'd just have to check if it was Neutron elements or Ozone elements and if I still have the unused license. If I happen to still have it, I'll PM you the license key. There's a 50/50 chance I already gave it away on the KVR forum. I just need to look through what I have still. It's sometimes a freebie option on Pluginboutique with purchases.

h-h. this is interesting. 1st: reason studios offers everything in its daw. from scratch to postproduction. but there is only few presets/patches for mastering. and now, 2nd thing: you said this BASSGRID RE also has a few presets/patches for mastering. heh. this is not encouraging.

problem is i am not neither educated nor skilled to do a mastering from a scratch by my self. so i am always using presets from reason's daw stock folder. and then i tweak it a bti using those 4 knobs and 4 buttons on combinators. if needed i go deep and open that combinator and also do some tweaks. if i have a luck i do a satisfiying results. but mostly not.

reason studios was selling that mastering rig 3... but in some time they have removed that. not good at all.

well, acording to mixing. i am trying to avoid it (eqing and so) and i just use red rock soun's exciter for that. it boosts sound. for me it is quite interesting and with good results. but i know this is not a proper mixing.

problem is i am not interesting into this part of music creation. best part for me is composing an dmaking transitions and fxing song. postproduction is a pain for me. so that's why i use red rock sound exciter. i will also buy their bass enhancer in near future.

...

so, then about this BASSGRID's RE for mastering... it is obviously not a good choice. eh... whatever then.
as said: i stick to presets. it also applies to synth/sounds. and i f needed i tweak/modify it a bit.

...

it looks like i will have to do mixing the hard way. the way i do not like. hehe. eh, ya,... i just hope this will happen.

thanks anyway strangers for commenting and posting.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | Sony WH-1000XM5 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 1239
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 10 Mar 2023

those of you who have mentioned those VSTs from iZotope... problem is, my budget do not allow me to buy them. i am short on money. sorry guys but that is it. i am hardly living from month to month. eh. s**t happens. now atm i am collecting money to get my completely 100% new living and working room. so room is priority. then, maybe, i will look after these iZotope's VSTs. they are looking tempting. AI automated and so on.

i would still prefer to stick to the DAW and have everything inside it... than to do a mixing and mastering outside of Reason DAW. i prefer all in one place.

problem is just... Reason DAW offers so many, so f* many presets for their synths... but so little presets for mastering.

well, never mind, i will do something. i know song has to have proper mixing and mastering done. but since i am low on budget i can not afford even to send my songs outside to studios to do a proper mixing and mastering. damn, this thing with moeny is bothering me.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | Sony WH-1000XM5 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
Posts: 2467
Joined: 06 Nov 2021
Location: ##########

Post 10 Mar 2023

Just search for "mastering FX chain" on YouTube, and you will find many videos that explain how to setup a mastering suite with the effects that you have available stock in your DAW. You will also find many tips about mastering in general.
-------
Reached the breaking-point. CrimsonWarlock has left the forum.

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 1239
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 10 Mar 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
10 Mar 2023
Just search for "mastering FX chain" on YouTube, and you will find many videos that explain how to setup a mastering suite with the effects that you have available stock in your DAW. You will also find many tips about mastering in general.
perhaps i will have to. but this is also a pain in the as* for me. hehe.

let me say it this way:

1. as Bible which is a very fat book... hase their "the ten commandments of god"
2. i am sure the whole theory for mixing and mastering... must have some sort of that kind of conclusions

i am really not interested into learning all these things, all these theory and so on... but would be willing to look at some sort of "cheat sheet" if i may say so.

can anyone help me with that?
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | Sony WH-1000XM5 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

User avatar
dioxide
Posts: 1800
Joined: 15 Jul 2015

Post 10 Mar 2023

Have you looked in the Factory Soundbank > MClass Mastering Patches. There are a good few patches in there. Most mastering devices don't have many presets as it's assumed that you need to tweak it to suit whatever is in your song.

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 1239
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 10 Mar 2023

well, yes, i do understand that. yes, i have looked in that folder since i am a long time user of reason.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | Sony WH-1000XM5 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
Posts: 2467
Joined: 06 Nov 2021
Location: ##########

Post 10 Mar 2023

Rising Night Wave wrote:
10 Mar 2023
i am really not interested into learning all these things, all these theory and so on... but would be willing to look at some sort of "cheat sheet" if i may say so.
So basically, you want to be able to do it, but you don't want to put in the work to actually learn to do it. In that case, try Amazon for a delivery of pixy dust :lol:
-------
Reached the breaking-point. CrimsonWarlock has left the forum.

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 1239
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 10 Mar 2023

hehe. well i do not want to go through the whole learning process. i am asking if there is some sort of "cheat sheet" to get via internet. if you can help me with that. to get to know with the basics of mixing and mastering.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | Sony WH-1000XM5 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

strangers
Competition Winner
Posts: 794
Joined: 06 Mar 2017
Location: NJ

Post 10 Mar 2023

Unfortunately, it's really source dependent. There's lots of resources available online if you search by instrument or task you're trying to accomplish. Just be prepared to find a lot of fluff and regurgitated info and "tricks" that aren't rules. There's some things that are more useful than others such as proper use of subtractive EQ to clean things up. There's also a lot of unusual internet wizards that are fully against boosting EQ. At the end of the day, if it sounds good to you then it is good.

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 1239
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 10 Mar 2023

okey, strangers. i got it.
well, then the hard way. :cry:
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | Sony WH-1000XM5 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

strangers
Competition Winner
Posts: 794
Joined: 06 Mar 2017
Location: NJ

Post 10 Mar 2023

A few things I'd recommend learning about that can carry you a long way...

1. Gain staging
2. EQ
3. Compression
4. Limiter

Having a basic grasp of the above can get you very far. Everything else is icing on the cake. Don't let it intimidate you. You'll be happier knowing how to dial something in and clean up mixes compared to wondering why your track isn't sitting right all because of some generic presets that are eating up valuable sonic real estate.

Reference tracks are also very helpful. Like how a synth or instrument sounds in someone else's song? Try to recreate it or ask for help mixing. You could always reverse engineer what someone else has done even though that may not sound like fun to you.

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 1239
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 10 Mar 2023

okey. my first reading on mixing: https://www.landr.com/how-to-mix/#:~:te ... %20delay).

interesting. somehow i did know it must have be like they say. because i see how a mixer in reason daw is made. i thought... perhaps is the right way to gor from up do bottom. from INPUT... to FADER. well, there at that link i posted, they just told so. they explained the whole process of mixing. and what each part do. quite simple and it was pleasant to read.

well, okey. some of the stuff i already knew. some didn't. okey.

damn atm i have too much of coffee in my butt, i somehow can't focus and when i was reading i almost saw it doubled. hehe. but as said it was a pleasant reading.
okey, this is out of context but i will tell you anyway: from my early years, from my childhood, readin was extremely tiring to me. it still is. i won't go to phyilosophy... but i can tell you... it is somehow like talking with pleasant persong or not. simple as that. world is... you all know,... place of shit to make more shit. ... this is why i do not like media in generally speaking. i do not like to watch movies, music videos clips, or commercials, or reading newspaper or whatsoever. its all... just get out the f way from me. ... okey, why am i telling you this? because i obviously will have to go through the hard way. to go to reading. but... since there is always a but(t) hehe,... i found this LANDR introduction text to mixing and i was pleasantly surprised how well and balanced they wrote the whole thing.superb! +1 to them form me. really.

okey, enough with that.

my problem now is:
i have around 200 songs finiched according to composition, transitions, fxing and so. the fist part.
the second part: mixing and mastering... well... a lot ofwork wil have to be done.

a yay yay. hehe. actually i am not laughing. i am worried how and when will i finish all this work. omg. 200+ songs. hehe.
but, little steps, step by step, will, i hope, bring some results.

i admire a lot of you here how well you do you music. from scratch to finished product.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | Sony WH-1000XM5 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 1239
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 10 Mar 2023

strangers wrote:
10 Mar 2023
A few things I'd recommend learning about that can carry you a long way...

1. Gain staging
2. EQ
3. Compression
4. Limiter

Having a basic grasp of the above can get you very far. Everything else is icing on the cake. Don't let it intimidate you. You'll be happier knowing how to dial something in and clean up mixes compared to wondering why your track isn't sitting right all because of some generic presets that are eating up valuable sonic real estate.

Reference tracks are also very helpful. Like how a synth or instrument sounds in someone else's song? Try to recreate it or ask for help mixing. You could always reverse engineer what someone else has done even though that may not sound like fun to you.
that LANDR page also mentiioned that.
i will have to gothrough that hard way...
... because i spent a lot of time and work into making all my 200+ songs.
so it would be a shame not to finish them.

problem is i have no money to afford 3rd party studios to do a mixing and mastering.
i will have to do that work. slowly. step by step.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | Sony WH-1000XM5 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
Posts: 2467
Joined: 06 Nov 2021
Location: ##########

Post 10 Mar 2023

Basic mixing and mastering, including gain staging:

-------
Reached the breaking-point. CrimsonWarlock has left the forum.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests