Anyone developing a mixer?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Sterioevo

02 Sep 2020

Soundcraft have a Matrix solution built into some of their digital desks, quite simple but also very powerful and flexible. Here is a link to a 4 page overview - https://www.soundcraft.com/en/product_d ... rix-v4-pdf.

Murf
RE Developer

02 Sep 2020

sdst wrote:
02 Sep 2020
Murf wrote:
31 Aug 2020
Design it here and I will try and build it!
Murf.
not my design but here it is
Eep....

Murf
RE Developer

02 Sep 2020

joeyluck wrote:
02 Sep 2020
When it comes to a Rack mixer, I would say go with the full 9U.

This is a utility in which other options are very limited, so don't limit yourself by trying to make it compact. This is one of the few RE plugins that would make sense having it take up the max amount of rack space.

Make it something that Mixer 14:2 isn't exactly in the same ballpark with. I think having something similar to Mixer 14:2 with just a mid EQ knob added...or more sends/returns...doesn't quite offer enough in addition for it to pique the interest of a greater number of users.

Maybe 8-12 channel strips, and interchangeable options like ModularRE—that would be awesome.
I agree, but I will cut my teeth on a 1 or 2U simple modular mixer first and if that works I will extend it to a 9U monster.
Murf

Murf
RE Developer

05 Sep 2020

This is an idea for an 8x8 Matrix mixer based on the Midas XL88
xslateyate.jpg
xslateyate.jpg (323.68 KiB) Viewed 3147 times

DJMaytag

05 Sep 2020

Murf wrote:
05 Sep 2020

xslateyate.jpg
:shock:

Could there be an option for a CV version of this? I had a Doepfer A-138m 4x4 matrix mixer a while ago, and miss it (was downsizing to smaller modules). I used it to distribute CV to several places at once.

phithegoldenratio

05 Sep 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
05 Sep 2020
Murf wrote:
05 Sep 2020

xslateyate.jpg
:shock:

Could there be an option for a CV version of this? I had a Doepfer A-138m 4x4 matrix mixer a while ago, and miss it (was downsizing to smaller modules). I used it to distribute CV to several places at once.
I guess HAMU is the way to go for complex CV routings

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/browse/?q=hamu

Loque

05 Sep 2020

Murf wrote:
05 Sep 2020

xslateyate.jpg
So, i need to read the manual of this mixer toget a clue what this thing is doing. It has 8 outputs and i can send each input to the outputs. Hum...i need to think about this, if it does what i am looking for, but it could be... I am not sure, but AFAIU i can have one audio input connect 7 FX and can "send" all to everywhere, probably even back to the main input (which does not really exist, since everything can be routed everywhere)...

Could be an interesting aproach, even if i dont like the look and i think it is a bit confusing. Somehow it could be a bit more cleaned. Dunno exactly how...Btw, here is a screenshot of the original
lx88.jpg
lx88.jpg (284.68 KiB) Viewed 3107 times
Reason12, Win10

Murf
RE Developer

05 Sep 2020

Loque wrote:
05 Sep 2020

So, i need to read the manual of this mixer toget a clue what this thing is doing. It has 8 outputs and i can send each input to the outputs. Hum...i need to think about this, if it does what i am looking for, but it could be... I am not sure, but AFAIU i can have one audio input connect 7 FX and can "send" all to everywhere, probably even back to the main input (which does not really exist, since everything can be routed everywhere)...

Could be an interesting aproach, even if i dont like the look and i think it is a bit confusing. Somehow it could be a bit more cleaned. Dunno exactly how...Btw, here is a screenshot of the original
I agree Loque it is a bit confusing, I was even considering making a more simple UI based on my MODRACK series but I dont think that would suit it.
Let me know if you decide it would be useful, I will start to work on the code side since I will need that for whatever Mixer I end up making anyways.
Murf

Breach The Sky

05 Sep 2020

It would be interesting to see different summing techniques, if we are talking mixers. Something like the stuff in Studio One, or perhaps even like that of Airwindows (If I even dare mention that name) weird console stuff.

Loque

05 Sep 2020

Murf wrote:
05 Sep 2020
Loque wrote:
05 Sep 2020

I agree Loque it is a bit confusing, I was even considering making a more simple UI based on my MODRACK series but I dont think that would suit it.
Let me know if you decide it would be useful, I will start to work on the code side since I will need that for whatever Mixer I end up making anyways.
Murf
Maybe we should make a poll, do not let only me decide :-D I would appreciate a matrix mixer if it would do the job for me. Maybe someone here can help a bit with some design, because we have pretty talented ppl here...
Reason12, Win10

Loque

05 Sep 2020

Breach The Sky wrote:
05 Sep 2020
It would be interesting to see different summing techniques, if we are talking mixers. Something like the stuff in Studio One, or perhaps even like that of Airwindows (If I even dare mention that name) weird console stuff.
Call me stupid, but for what is different summing good?
Reason12, Win10

Breach The Sky

05 Sep 2020

Loque wrote:
05 Sep 2020
Breach The Sky wrote:
05 Sep 2020
Call me stupid, but for what is different summing good?
I don't have any experience with it, but apparently it's supposed to make stuff magically sound warm/spacious/professional/(marketing hype-term off your choice). I'm skeptical, but curious.

dancing fool

05 Sep 2020

Murf wrote:
05 Sep 2020

xslateyate.jpg
This is what I'm looking for 8x8 matrix audio mixer

diminished
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2020

What's wrong with airwindows? :D That most plugins are too esoteric?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

DJMaytag

12 Jun 2022

Still interested, as I’m using the new Combinator to wire up a drum machine and individual EQ’s and FX, so I can recall something like an 808 or 909 drum set, and have everything pre-wired to cut down on things I’m normally wiring in (EQ and comps, mostly) for each instrument.

Ekssperimental Sounds now has something pretty damn close to perfect for a drum set up, though 8 mono channels would be awesome for what I’m doing here. A single send for drum room FX is sufficient. https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nel-mixer/

Would still love something like an 8:2 mixer for submixing, with 4 sends. An alternative would be a channel strip RE, which I don’t believe anyone has done yet. It would include a volume slider/pot, pan, EQ, and sends, just like the 14:2, but horizontal, like this:
A9BFC8FA-0EA7-4769-B791-493ABFBFE331.jpeg
A9BFC8FA-0EA7-4769-B791-493ABFBFE331.jpeg (8.41 KiB) Viewed 2241 times
A lot of console mixers allow you to remove the strip and rack mount them, so the idea is something a lot closer to looking like this:
A36503A6-6A35-4742-AD32-D5C1207CA972.jpeg
A36503A6-6A35-4742-AD32-D5C1207CA972.jpeg (226.19 KiB) Viewed 2241 times
Each strip RE (or multiple strips in one RE) would need to have an input and output, with send FX outputs. There would need to be something to manage all the FX returns, probably a separate rack device, or something with the LINK type I/O that the 14:2 has on the back to merge all the sends and returns as if multiple 14:2’s wired together were one.

If it was possible to create a bundle of these, the horizontal strip setup could allow for choosing how many devices were needed, that would make some of the send/return wiring a lot more manageable. Buy the mixing system RE and you get multiple devices, like a 1U single strip, a dual strip, quad, octal, etc.

Murf
RE Developer

25 Feb 2023

Hi all, sorry for the massive delay in posting (life).
I am close to getting the 8x8 mixer ready for beta testing.
Pleas PM me if you are interested
Murf

Murf
RE Developer

26 Feb 2023

Here is a screenshot of the alpha, thanks to the people who offered to beta test.
Murf
Attachments
MIX88-alpha.PNG
MIX88-alpha.PNG (272.66 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
MIX88-alpha-back.PNG
MIX88-alpha-back.PNG (728.01 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
Last edited by Murf on 26 Feb 2023, edited 1 time in total.

crimsonwarlock

26 Feb 2023

Murf wrote:
26 Feb 2023
Here is a screenshot of the alpha
Not sure if you want feedback on this, but the buttons need a bit of shadow to lift them slightly. Currently, they look more like labels than buttons :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Murf
RE Developer

26 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
26 Feb 2023
Murf wrote:
26 Feb 2023
Here is a screenshot of the alpha
Not sure if you want feedback on this, but the buttons need a bit of shadow to lift them slightly. Currently, they look more like labels than buttons :puf_wink:
Yes feedback most welcome thanks!
The UI is still a WIP, especially the buttons!
Murf.

Murf
RE Developer

26 Feb 2023

Also I am still deciding if it should be part of the "MODRACK" series or not, I dont think it really fits the mould.

Loque

26 Feb 2023

Murf wrote:
26 Feb 2023
Also I am still deciding if it should be part of the "MODRACK" series or not, I dont think it really fits the mould.
Nearly everything in Reason fits the modular concept 😁
Reason12, Win10

crimsonwarlock

26 Feb 2023

Murf wrote:
26 Feb 2023
I think it does fit the modrack series, as your channels are mono and therefore are more suited to mix oscillators than complete instruments (which are mostly stereo these days). The graphical layout is different from the modrack series, but those deserve graphics update anyway :puf_wink:

Sidenote about the mono/stereo thing: it would be awesome to have this in a full stereo version. That way, it would be the ultimate solution for FX sends.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Murf
RE Developer

26 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
26 Feb 2023
Murf wrote:
26 Feb 2023
I think it does fit the modrack series, as your channels are mono and therefore are more suited to mix oscillators than complete instruments (which are mostly stereo these days). The graphical layout is different from the modrack series, but those deserve graphics update anyway :puf_wink:

Sidenote about the mono/stereo thing: it would be awesome to have this in a full stereo version. That way, it would be the ultimate solution for FX sends.
Two things of note:
1) The MODRACK series will never get a graphics update (other than HD which is being pushed through now). The reason is it is supposed to look 'handmade" like lab style modules
2) I definitely want to do a stereo version of the Mix88 but it will have much more features, and I will probably break my own mould and finally charge for it. (low price though).
Maybe I will keep the more simple look for the mono free version and do all the cool UI and extra features on the stereo one and give it a new name.

Murf

Bes
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2023

maybe you should consider changing the name of this one too since 88 is a nazi thing
- Certified Reason expert

Murf
RE Developer

26 Feb 2023

Bes wrote:
26 Feb 2023
maybe you should consider changing the name of this one too since 88 is a nazi thing
I am not aware of that.
I wonder why the "Crazy 88s" from Kill Bill use that name.

The Real device I am inspired for this RE is called MIDAS XL88 they werent too fussed.

MIX8x8 ?

Murf

• Information