re-edit | help requested

This forum is for developers of Rack Extensions to discuss the RE SDK, share code, and offer tips to other developers.
pongasoft
RE Developer

06 Sep 2022

Hello all developers

If you have been following this forum, you already know about the project I am currently working on. You can check out the YouTube video I made in July about the tool state at that time:

I am at the point where the tool is functional and would like some help from rack extension developers to get early feedback.

Requirements:
  • You must be a rack extension developer
  • You are willing to give feedback and help drive/influence the direction of the tool
  • You understand the tool is early access
  • You have a github account
If you want to help please send me your github account name and I will add you to the (private) repository that will give you access to the binary and issues (to discuss/submit feedback/submit bugs). You can use this forum private message or better contact me at "yan at pongasoft dot com" to send me your information.

Here is a screenshot of the most recent build.
Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 08.08.40.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 08.08.40.png (413.86 KiB) Viewed 3481 times
Yan
Last edited by pongasoft on 28 Sep 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

06 Sep 2022

pongasoft wrote:
06 Sep 2022
Requirements:
  • You are using macOS as your development platform (at this stage the tool is built only for macOS with a Windows version possible once the tool is finalized)
I'd be delighted to help, but I dev on Windows only at present. As soon as a Windows version starts to move into view I'll jump aboard :)

Cheers,
Brian

pongasoft
RE Developer

15 Sep 2022

New build 0.9.1-dev available with hi-res font/icons and bug fixes...
re-edit-0.9.1-dev.jpg
re-edit-0.9.1-dev.jpg (535.69 KiB) Viewed 3359 times

Looking so much better with good hi-res font rendering!

pongasoft
RE Developer

19 Sep 2022

New build available 0.9.2-dev:
re-edit-0.9.2-dev.jpg
re-edit-0.9.2-dev.jpg (545.12 KiB) Viewed 3276 times

With cool new features:
* X-Ray rendering
* Grid

Still open to developer who want to help/give it a try!

Thanks
Yan

pongasoft
RE Developer

28 Sep 2022

I just released 0.9.4-dev with a big new feature: availability for windows (although it is a bit rough right now).

If you are on Windows and want to participate, send me your github account name!

pongasoft
RE Developer

28 Sep 2022

Enlightenspeed wrote:
06 Sep 2022
pongasoft wrote:
06 Sep 2022
Requirements:
  • You are using macOS as your development platform (at this stage the tool is built only for macOS with a Windows version possible once the tool is finalized)
I'd be delighted to help, but I dev on Windows only at present. As soon as a Windows version starts to move into view I'll jump aboard :)

Cheers,
Brian
I now have a Windows build :-)

joeyluck

28 Sep 2022

If you're still needing help from more devs to test this, we could make it a global announcement for a bit. Just let me know!

I wonder also if Reason Studios could blog about it? It was cool to see the blog back when they lifted the NDA on the SDK, but there hasn't been much else said about the SDK and making REs. Have they been following what you've been up to?

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

03 Oct 2022

pongasoft wrote:
28 Sep 2022
Enlightenspeed wrote:
06 Sep 2022

Cheers,
Brian
I now have a Windows build :-)
Hi Yan,

just seen this, PM'd you my GitHub user details.

Cheers,
Brian

pongasoft
RE Developer

28 Oct 2022

I just released v0.9.7-dev and wanted to share release notes here to show that the project is still very much under heavy development and I am still looking for help if you are willing to provide it:
#### 2022-10-28 - 0.9.7-dev
- Various bug fixes
- Added "No Graphics" rendering option to choose how widgets that don't have an image (size only) are rendered (None / Border / Fill)
- Added Undo/Redo when changing panel values (like graphics)
- Added "File/Rescan images" menu entry to force a rescan of the `GUI2D` directory (in case there are changes) after the tool is started (adding/removing/modifying an image will be picked up and applied).

#### 2022-10-16 - 0.9.6-dev
- Added default layouts (vertical/horizontal)
- Universal build on macOS (run natively on Apple silicon)
- Various bug fixes
- Enable any property for `sequence_meter` (mistake in the documentation led to this issue)
- Try to handle more gracefully when an error occur (if possible, displays an error message in the UI with option to save the current changes)

#### 2022-10-03 - 0.9.5-dev
- Fix for crash
- Fix for restoring the window size on start (if saved of course)
- Use CTRL Key for windows (instead of the Windows key)
- Better handling of scale for Windows
- Use ImGui docking space which allows to dock each window or be free floating to tailor the UI to each use case. By default, all windows are docked.
- It is strongly suggested to remove a previous `re-edit.lua` file to get the new one with proper docking by default.

#### 2022-09-28 - 0.9.4-dev
- Fixes crash when changing panel image
- First windows build!

#### 2022-09-25 - 0.9.3-dev
- Allow strings in `jbox.native_object` default parameter list (should fix issue with Gorilla engine)

#### 2022-09-19 - 0.9.2-dev
- Added grid concept to constraint movement when moving widgets. Temporarily disabled by pressing `Alt`. Or permanently by setting grid size to 1.
- Added X-Ray rendering to be able to see the background below the widgets (can be very useful for alignent with the backgound)
- Redesigned the Custom Display `values` propery list selection window (`values` attribute) by introducing menus. Allow to sort the source list by path or by tag.
- Added shortcuts to quickly show a hidden widget (now the easiest being double clicking on its name in the "Widgets" panel).
- Added RMB click on widget name ("Widgets" panel) to bring up the popup menu
- Redesigned the `re-edit` panel rendering section. In particular, it is now possible to render just the border of all widgets (by setting "Widget" to `None` and "Border" to `Normal`).

#### 2022-09-15 - 0.9.1-dev
- Use a much nicer font (JetBrains mono) and actual icons (fontawesome)
- Dynamically scale the font based on which screen the window is located
- Fixed crash related to undo

#### 2022-09-07 - 0.9.0-dev
- First release for this project

pongasoft
RE Developer

13 Nov 2022

I just published a new version (0.9.8-dev) with a lot of changes:
  • No longer loads realtime_controller.lua since it is not used
  • Added detecting changes in images and device to offer a notification to reload/rescan
  • Added missing undo when moving a widget (or decal) up/down
  • Added a dialog to ask for confirmation before exiting when there are changes
  • Added ability to change a widget type
  • Added ability to change the number of frames of a graphics (menu entry next to the graphics dropdown)
  • Added ability to import an image directly (menu entry next to the graphics dropdown): a Finder (resp. File Explorer) opens up to select a file which will automatically be copied into the GUI2D folder
  • Added generation of a new file (GUI2D/gui_2D.cmake) which contains all the images used (so that it can easily be included in the main CMakeLists.txt)
  • Added "About" menu with details on the build and the rack extension
  • Implemented better error handling and messages
  • Implemented proper handling of note players (no folded version and a missing definition in device_2D.lua)
  • Changed boolean property to be recognized as stepped properties (2 steps)
  • Various bug fixes
Please let me know if you are interested in testing it out!

pongasoft
RE Developer

20 Nov 2022

I just published a new version (0.9.9-dev) with the following changes:

- Added support for built-in images so there is no longer a need to manually import them (ex: sockets, trim knob, etc...)
- Added ability to import multiple images at a time (menu "File/Import Images")
- Added and fixed error checking in various scenarios
- Fixed grid constrained movement
- Fixed issues with value_display widget

drno
RE Developer

20 Jan 2023

Thank you Yan,
Amazing tool!

pongasoft
RE Developer

20 Jan 2023

The tool has now been released. Here is the thread to post to now: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=7530435

• Information