RRP - Logic - Mac Studio Woes

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
shropshirelad

15 Oct 2022

I've had constant problems trying to get RRP running in Logic on my Mac Studio. Thought I'd try again after the latest update and spent a glorious day using it to my hearts content. Came back today to have another go and the old problems are back - every time I open RRP I get dialogue telling me that the rack extension is broken. Simply don't understand how this can work one day and not the next. Anyone else having these issues? Is there a known solution? It's driving me nuts!
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-10-15 at 19.08.46.png
Screenshot 2022-10-15 at 19.08.46.png (60.85 KiB) Viewed 10977 times

hyperdeath666

15 Oct 2022

I also have this bug on the latest version of the RRP running on Windows through Bitwig studio. It appears to trigger any time you load a project file with multiple (i.e. more than 1) instances of the RRP.

WaxTrax

15 Oct 2022

Unless I open Logic in Rosetta mode on my M1 MBP, I get this error. In Rosetta mode, it works just fine for me.

shropshirelad

15 Oct 2022

WaxTrax wrote:
15 Oct 2022
Unless I open Logic in Rosetta mode on my M1 MBP, I get this error. In Rosetta mode, it works just fine for me.
I thought that might be the case. I don't want to run in Rosetta mode as I have so many other other things that now only run natively i.e. Spitfire stuff.

Still don't understand how I managed to get it working yesterday though - I definitely didn't run using Rosetta, so I'm scratching my head about that one.

Thanks for sharing your experience - I guess, as always with Reason, we'll have to be patient.

selig
RE Developer

15 Oct 2022

That’s the same error I got with LUNA before switching on Rosetta mode. No way around it until Reason is M1 native.
Selig Audio, LLC

hyperdeath666

15 Oct 2022

In retrospect, while the symptoms are similar, this sounds like a separate issue to the one I'm experiencing, so I just submitted a separate bug report.

selig
RE Developer

16 Oct 2022

shropshirelad wrote:
15 Oct 2022
I thought that might be the case. I don't want to run in Rosetta mode as I have so many other other things that now only run natively i.e. Spitfire stuff.
As I understand it…
You cannot run non M1 software on M1 hardware without Rosetta mode, and this includes plugins like RRP. Which means the host cannot load non M1 plugins (like RRP) without being in Rosetta mode. I don’t think there is ANY way around this…
Selig Audio, LLC

Pepin

16 Oct 2022

selig wrote:
16 Oct 2022
shropshirelad wrote:
15 Oct 2022
As I understand it…
You cannot run non M1 software on M1 hardware without Rosetta mode, and this includes plugins like RRP. Which means the host cannot load non M1 plugins (like RRP) without being in Rosetta mode. I don’t think there is ANY way around this…
With audio units, it actually is possible for the host to load an Intel plugin without being in Rosetta mode.
There's a system-provided bridge called AUHostingCompatibilityService.
I know at least Logic and Live support it (mentioned here https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... -Live-11-1). I imagine most AU hosts do.

But there are going to be special cases that still don't work, and RRP seems to be one of them.

shropshirelad

17 Oct 2022

Pepin wrote:
16 Oct 2022
selig wrote:
16 Oct 2022

As I understand it…
With audio units, it actually is possible for the host to load an Intel plugin without being in Rosetta mode.
There's a system-provided bridge called AUHostingCompatibilityService.
I know at least Logic and Live support it (mentioned here https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... -Live-11-1). I imagine most AU hosts do.

But there are going to be special cases that still don't work, and RRP seems to be one of them.
Your observation re: AU is spot on. I can run the AU in Logic of most non-native plugins without a hitch, whereas Cubase doesn't want to know about the same VST plugins. Still can't fathom how I managed to get RRP up and running the other day in Logic. I was definitely not running Rosetta!

Jac459

17 Oct 2022

Bitwig in Native + RRP in Rosetta also works for me...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

kuhliloach

17 Oct 2022

Why can't Reason Studios get their act together?

Jac459

18 Oct 2022

kuhliloach wrote:
17 Oct 2022
Why can't Reason Studios get their act together?
What make you think the problem come from them?
It is working on other DAWs...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

selig
RE Developer

18 Oct 2022

I just did a quick test with the current version of both Logic Pro and Reason. Same as with LUNA you get an error that is similar to yours but instead of Friction it mentioned McDSP MooTube (which I never use) as being "broken" etc.
Switch to Rosetting mode and things just work.
Meaning, it's not a broken RE that is causing the issue, the error message seems to be painfully literal - "Failed reading Rack Extension data in" is all it says, which I would clarify as failing because of lack of support for non M1 native code.

Error message could have been WAY more clear, solution is the same - run Logic in Rosetta mode to enable Reason.
Again, I can't see any way around this, not sure how you got a day of Reason in Logic without Rosetta mode (unless there was some auto-update in between?).
Selig Audio, LLC

stm.mitchell

19 Oct 2022

I run the Reason rack in Logic on an M1 Mac mini, not in Rosetta mode. I used to get a similar error message, but figured out I was able to get it running if I chose the option to "Run without RE´s". That led me to believe an RE was actually the problem (I don't know for sure of course), so I started uninstalling old and unused RE´s until it started running without the error message. Never had a problem since.

selig
RE Developer

19 Oct 2022

stm.mitchell wrote:
19 Oct 2022
I run the Reason rack in Logic on an M1 Mac mini, not in Rosetta mode. I used to get a similar error message, but figured out I was able to get it running if I chose the option to "Run without RE´s". That led me to believe an RE was actually the problem (I don't know for sure of course), so I started uninstalling old and unused RE´s until it started running without the error message. Never had a problem since.
And the RE causing the error was…?
Selig Audio, LLC

stm.mitchell

19 Oct 2022

Here's a screenshot of the ones I uninstalled. There was no attempt to do this in a scientific way. I just uninstalled, at random, RE´s I don't use much so I couldn't tell you which one, or even if one of them is causing the issue. I just know that the RRP works in native mode Logic on my Mac after uninstalling them.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-10-19 at 21.26.10.png
Screenshot 2022-10-19 at 21.26.10.png (254.57 KiB) Viewed 10730 times

kuhliloach

20 Oct 2022

I am so confused now. Does RPP work on Mac normally without Rosetta or not? I never use Reason at all because of this.

kuhliloach

20 Oct 2022

The update did not fix this issue and I still cannot simply run Logic with RE's, and it makes me really sad.

selig
RE Developer

21 Oct 2022

kuhliloach wrote:
20 Oct 2022
The update did not fix this issue and I still cannot simply run Logic with RE's, and it makes me really sad.
Not sure I understand - run Logic in Rosetta and it works just fine. What am I missing?
Selig Audio, LLC

Heater

21 Oct 2022

kuhliloach wrote:
20 Oct 2022
I am so confused now. Does RPP work on Mac normally without Rosetta or not? I never use Reason at all because of this.
Reason is not native M1. You have to run rosetta to have access to Reason within Logic.

Billy+

21 Oct 2022

kuhliloach wrote:
20 Oct 2022
If your Mac is intel then yes RRP will definitely work without Rosetta.
However if your Mac is Apple Silicon then RRP will only work under Rosetta.

I'm assuming given the thread title that you're Mac Studio requires Rosetta currently when using RRP however if you wait just a few more months then you should be able to use RRP in Logic without Rosetta

What's confusing

:lol:

stm.mitchell

21 Oct 2022

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, or perhaps I'm simply running Logic in Rosetta mode without even knowing it. ...but I don't think I am?!

Pepin

21 Oct 2022

stm.mitchell wrote:
21 Oct 2022
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, or perhaps I'm simply running Logic in Rosetta mode without even knowing it. ...but I don't think I am?!

You're right. Logic is not in Rosetta mode, and RRP is running through AUHostingCompatibilityService. To quote the Ableton support link I posted earlier:
If you notice AU plug-ins appearing in Live 11.1 whose VST2 and VST3 counterparts are missing, it's likely that Live is hosting an Intel AU via the AUHostingCompatibilityService translation tool. Please note that some specific AU involve Intel-compiled processes, and that these will require Live to be run as an intel application via Rosetta 2 as explained below.
For those experiencing errors, there may be some Intel-compiled process that's launched by RRP outside the purview of AUHostingCompatibilityService. Since it doesn't happen for everyone, my first guesses where to look would be:
- The authorization method used
- Whether they're using Reason+

shropshirelad

02 Nov 2022

Maybe Logic Pro 10.7.5 will bring some joy? Erm, nope.
Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 22.30.08.png
Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 22.30.08.png (229.49 KiB) Viewed 10470 times

shropshirelad

09 Nov 2022

Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 15.50.34.png
Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 15.50.34.png (197.95 KiB) Viewed 10397 times
Reason Studios, thank you, you beauties! We are back up and running in Logic!!!

• Information