Drag'n'Drop don't work with external VSTi samplers

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
GluhovProd

07 Sep 2022

Hello everyone!

All description in short video.

I can't DnD files from Browser to VSTi sampler. It works correctly in Studio One 5 (and other DAWs). Included in Reason samplers works fine. Only other VSTi can't work with samples from browser. The problem only affects external VST plugins.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

VIVIsect

07 Sep 2022

Yeah, you can’t drag and drop files from Reason’s browser to VSTs, and its goddamn ridiculous. I keep hoping they will eventually fix it to allow this most absolute basic of things, but they have never bothered.

Funny thing though, open a VST that has its own browser and you can drag and drop files from there into other VSTs. Somehow this works within Reason, but you can’t do it with Reason’s own browser. Absurd.

Marc Swing

08 Sep 2022

Haha yes this is so ridiculous, i wish they would fix this too!

fullforce

08 Sep 2022

VIVIsect wrote:
07 Sep 2022
Yeah, you can’t drag and drop files from Reason’s browser to VSTs, and its goddamn ridiculous. I keep hoping they will eventually fix it to allow this most absolute basic of things, but they have never bothered.

Funny thing though, open a VST that has its own browser and you can drag and drop files from there into other VSTs. Somehow this works within Reason, but you can’t do it with Reason’s own browser. Absurd.
Did it occur to you that Reason itself is not a VST?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

VIVIsect

08 Sep 2022

fullforce wrote:
08 Sep 2022
VIVIsect wrote:
07 Sep 2022

Did it occur to you that Reason itself is not a VST?
I’m aware. It’s a DAW. With a shitty browser that doesn’t allow for one of the most basic things that one could possibly ask of a browser within a DAW.

fullforce

08 Sep 2022

VIVIsect wrote:
08 Sep 2022
I’m aware. It’s a DAW. With a shitty browser that doesn’t allow for one of the most basic things that one could possibly ask of a browser within a DAW.
Can you do that in other DAWs then? I just tried it in Ableton 11 and it doesn't seem to work either.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

iTrensharo

11 Sep 2022

fullforce wrote:
08 Sep 2022
VIVIsect wrote:
08 Sep 2022
Can you do that in other DAWs then? I just tried it in Ableton 11 and it doesn't seem to work either.
Depends on how the file browser functions. It is just a view of a Database of items catalogued by the DAW or does it expose the root file system.

In Cubase, the MediaBay is a view into the MediaBay Database, so this doesn't work with Samplers like Battery, Komplete Kontrol and Kontakt (will do nothing, give a file not found error or load an empty sampler instance). Unironically, it will work with Steinberg instruments that integrate with Media Bay (as is common in other products and their browsers).

In Cakewalk, the Browser there is a view of the root file system, so drag and drop works from browser to Sampler VSTis. It functions the same as dragging and dropping from an instance of Windows File Explorer.

This will vary from DAW to DAW. It depends on what the items in the browser actually represent - actual files, or references to files catalogued into the browser database.

Tinnitus

15 Sep 2022

Agree to this sentiment, but am sort of used to a work around as I haven't re-embraced the browser since the r12 enhanchments.

One big PITA difference with Reason over other DAWs is not being able to drag and drop content locked in the propriety REFILL format into VSTs. The work around is really painful.
I wish they would fix this.

• Information