Hello, need help playing Reason audio in Pro Tools

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
AALLF

03 Aug 2022

I have looked far and wide for a couple of hours for this, but could not find the answer. I simply need to have Reason's main audio output go into Pro Tools so I can score to video. Is there any way to do this? I'm on Reason 11, and have tried using Reason as a plugin in Pro Tools, but that's not what I need. I need it to work like it used to with Rewire. I want to work within Reason, but only use Pro Tools to sync the audio with video. Thank you for anyone that knows a solution to this.

MarkTarlton

03 Aug 2022

reason discontinued supporting rewire in R11, you need R10 or before. you can bounce the audio via mixer channels and import into PT, it's easy to do now, only takes 5 minutes or so.

huggermugger

03 Aug 2022

If you owned R10, you can download it and install it in parallel to R11. Then you can use R10 for Rewire when you need it. In fact, I have R10, R11 Suite and R12 all installed, and each one boots properly.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 4.38.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 4.38.08 PM.png (141.37 KiB) Viewed 395 times

marcuswitt

04 Aug 2022

AALLF wrote:
03 Aug 2022
I have looked far and wide for a couple of hours for this, but could not find the answer. I simply need to have Reason's main audio output go into Pro Tools so I can score to video. Is there any way to do this? I'm on Reason 11, and have tried using Reason as a plugin in Pro Tools, but that's not what I need. I need it to work like it used to with Rewire. I want to work within Reason, but only use Pro Tools to sync the audio with video. Thank you for anyone that knows a solution to this.
Hi there,

I stumbled upon the same ‘problem’ a while ago, i.e. when ReWire has been retired. Instead of Pro Tools, I’m using MOTU’s Digital Performer alongside Reason, but the principle of finding a solution is the same for PT and DP.

I have no idea about the audio interfaces you’re using. Maybe you can provide us with such information?

My suggestion is to use an audio interface that allows you to internally feed audio streams, which are coming from Reason, back into your computer and into Pro Tools then.

In my case I’m using a MOTU 828ES which comes with that feature. And it works perfectly.

If you also want to sync both DAW’s in terms of Transport functions, like PLAY, STOP, RWD, FFWD, etc. then just utilize the IAC MIDI routing architecture which is integrated in Mac OS. In case of using Windows then you might look for a 3rd party MIDI routing App that is basically doing the same as IAC.

Good luck!

AALLF

04 Aug 2022

Thank you for all replies. I looked for my previous version in my account (it was either 8 or 9, can't remember which), and it's not there anymore. Only Reason 11. I use Focusrite Scarlett Solo as my interface. Not sure if it can internally feed audio streams, but that's given me something to think about. I guess I'll just start learning Pro Tools and using Reason as a plugin for now. I've had Pro Tools for probably 8 years now, but it seemed so convoluted to do the simplest things in that program, and Reason gave me everything I needed until now. Oh well, thanks for the replies everyone

MuttReason

05 Aug 2022

FWIW Reason as a plugin in another DAW can be a pretty powerful combo. It takes quite a lot if workflow adjustment but it is possible to do almost as much with RRP plus third party DAW as it is with the Reason DAW itself. The key thing IME is understanding how to route the RRP MIDI out within whatever DAW you use to take advantage of Reason’s MIDI Players. Once I worked that out (in my case in Ableton Live 11) it opened up a bunch of possibilities.

There are some things you lose in going from Reason DAW to RRP (eg Reason SSL mixer, Groove, audio pitch edit which I think is the best around) but what you gain is all the other capabilities within your DAW of choice that (depending on how you use Reason) may exceed what’s available in the Reason DAW.

Short version: RRP isn’t a bad substitute for Reason + Rewire and IMHO in some respects is actually better. But as always YMMV…

huggermugger

05 Aug 2022

AALLF wrote:
04 Aug 2022
Thank you for all replies. I looked for my previous version in my account (it was either 8 or 9, can't remember which), and it's not there anymore. Only Reason 11.
Did you click on Show Details?
Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 1.40.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 1.40.00 PM.png (29.95 KiB) Viewed 317 times

Also, you can try downloading your legacy version from this link. It couldn't hurt to try.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/updates

• Information