Reason File Locations: a handy reference

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pjelli

05 Jun 2022

This thread massively helped me fix Reason 12 not running and just stopping at the login prompt with no indication what is going on. VST Rack just loaded an empty generic parameter list. No errors anywhere.

c:/user/music/Propellerhead Content/optional devices, optional refills missing will bring Reason to a screeching halt. I put in a support request for help but ended up just suggesting to at least have an option to ignore, relocate or just something besides closing with no errors if it can't find those refills.

Also, why put those refills in the Music folder?? Such a strange place.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2022

pjelli wrote:
05 Jun 2022
This thread massively helped me fix Reason 12 not running and just stopping at the login prompt with no indication what is going on. VST Rack just loaded an empty generic parameter list. No errors anywhere.

c:/user/music/Propellerhead Content/optional devices, optional refills missing will bring Reason to a screeching halt. I put in a support request for help but ended up just suggesting to at least have an option to ignore, relocate or just something besides closing with no errors if it can't find those refills.

Also, why put those refills in the Music folder?? Such a strange place.
I moved my refills straight away to my normal refill directory, never had any issues except that it shows under optional install window as not installed which is not a problem for me.

pepe444

08 Jun 2022

I was in a middle of a nice thing and then....reason just closed...
Is there a way i can recover that "temporary file" from somewhere ?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2022

pepe444 wrote:
08 Jun 2022
I was in a middle of a nice thing and then....reason just closed...
Is there a way i can recover that "temporary file" from somewhere ?
Did try just opening Reason again?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

pepe444

08 Jun 2022

Yes, no success :(

sequence

14 Jun 2022

Just wanted to add this location since I was trying to do something and it didn't work because it seems Reason Suite 11 grab them from here instead:

C:\Program Files\Propellerhead\Reason Suite 11\Remote\DefaultMaps\
EnochLight wrote:
24 Oct 2019
DISCLAIMER: this reference assumes you have accepted the default installation paths when installing Reason on your computer.

Remote
  • macOS: /Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Remote
  • Windows: %ProgramData%\Propellerhead Software\Remote

EnochLight

14 Jun 2022

sequence wrote:
14 Jun 2022
Just wanted to add this location since I was trying to do something and it didn't work because it seems Reason Suite 11 grab them from here instead:
Thanks - updated the OP with that info. Cheers!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

GlacierRays

26 Jul 2022

Hello, hoping someone can help me as I'm having trouble locating the Remote files on Mac. It's a new MacBook Air M2 running OSX 12.4 Monterey, and I've installed Reason Suite 12 (not +).

There's nothing in Macintosh HD / Library / Application Support / Propellerhead Software (only 2 folders "SharedResources" and "Soundbanks" which don't contain Remote files anywhere). Showing hidden files and folders doesn't reveal anything either.

There's also nothing in Macintosh HD / Users / 'username' / Library / Application Support / Propellerhead Software / Remote. The Remote folder is there, but there are zero files in it, and showing hidden files and folders doesn't reveal anything here either.

I've plugged in an Akai MPK Mini and Reason detects it in the 'Easy MIDI' section, which is interesting because that section specifies it's for MIDI input ports that are not used by Remote. But the MPK Mini should be used by Remote, my other windows computer that I've been using Reason 12 on for months detects it fine for Remote use and that computer has all the Remote files in the expected places (which I have customised for all my controllers). When I click "Auto-detect Surfaces" it searches through the list of default controllers but then says nothing was detected (I'm pretty sure I even see the name "Akai MPK Mini" flash by while it searches..). I then click "Add manually" and am able to select Akai and MPK mini that way, but it doesn't help me as I need to edit the remote map file.

Even after doing all that the Remote folder in the Users directory listed above is still completely empty.

Can anyone help here, is it an install error? Do remote maps need to be added manually somehow and if so can I just copy the files from my windows PC into that Remote folder and it work as expected (including customisation?). Alternatively if this is a bug I guess this can be considered a bug report and I hope it gets fixed soon.

Thanks in advance

zumBeispiel

27 Jul 2022

Not sure this is what you’re looking for but…

- Open the Finder --> Favorites —> Applications

- Then right-click upon Reason’s icon and choose “Show Package Content” or something like that.

- Double click “Content”

- Double click “Resources”

- And finally “Remote”

Just hope it helps.

Re8et
Competition Winner

27 Jul 2022

My R11 Suite now that I have R12 on my main account is no more downloadable, but as it is what I am
using on my Laptop, all Rack extensions disappeared!!
Should I check if it was created a new R12 folder for rack extensions on my laptop?
I don't even have enough free space on my SSD to download and install R12 on my laptop...
What should I do??

Edit - Solved: I had to re-Authorize the Laptop to the R12 licence from my account.
Last edited by Re8et on 27 Jul 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Re8et
Competition Winner

27 Jul 2022

Does anyone knows where are the R12 Rack Extensions files located
On windows, I have R11 on a pc, and no rack extensions...

I tried looking fo Rack Extensions here but I could not find them...

C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software
C:\Users\Re8et\Music\
C:\Program Files\Propellerhead

I tried to download them but now that I have R12 on my account,
R11 can't seem to be able to find them...
Also, how could I create a Ghost link so to tell where to look??
IF the R12 Rack Extensions folder was created, bc I don't have it installed on my lappy...

Edit- Re-Authorize my licence for my laptop solved the Rack extension missing problem, it
might still be useful to know where to create hyperlinks for saving space...

EnochLight

28 Jul 2022

Re8et wrote:
27 Jul 2022
Does anyone knows where are the R12 Rack Extensions files located
AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\RackExtensions

Or rather:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\RackExtensions

I've updated the OP to reflect the correct location. :thumbup:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

GlacierRays

28 Jul 2022

zumBeispiel wrote:
27 Jul 2022

- Then right-click upon Reason’s icon and choose “Show Package Content” or something like that.

- Double click “Content”

- And finally “Remote”

Just hope it helps.
THANK YOU! This is where the Remote files are located (OP on first page should probably be updated with this info).

Aside from these file locations, after lots of testing I've figured out that my main problem is with the Akai MPK Mini (1st Gen) itself. Despite having default codecs and maps for it in the above location, for some reason it isn't detected properly by R12 Suite (maybe an issue with the latest Mac OS, maybe something else?). I screen recorded the progress bar when it searches after clicking "Auto-detect Surfaces" and it doesn't even list the Akai MPK Mini as one it's searching for, only the Mk2 version (which has its own default codecs and maps in the file structure, it doesn't share them with the 1st gen) - so this must be why it doesn't detect it properly. And because it isn't detected properly, and instead just shows up in the "Easy MIDI Inputs" section, the remote maps don't work. The first knob defaults to 'mod wheel' and knobs 2-8 aren't detected at all, even if I right click on a parameter and select "Edit Remote Override Mapping" and move the knobs, absolutely zero response. I know the first gen mini is quite old now, but it's just MIDI and technically should be supported as the files are there - plus the support sections on the Akai website are super broken and won't let me access or download many of their files and software. I'll buy a different mini controller.

I troubleshot this by also testing my larger Korg Triton Taktile 49, which was detected properly by Reason, including the default Remote maps, and also worked as expected when I replaced the map with a custom one in the file structure listed above by zumBeispiel. The other empty Remote folder I found in the users library section I listed in my OP seems to be irrelevant, as keeping it empty I was still able to get Remote functionality from the files in "show package contents".

Hope this helps someone else, and thanks again for helping me find the files. Much appreciated.

zumBeispiel

29 Jul 2022

GlacierRays wrote:
28 Jul 2022
zumBeispiel wrote:
27 Jul 2022

- Double click “Content”

- And finally “Remote”

Just hope it helps.
THANK YOU!

Hope this helps someone else, and thanks again for helping me find the files. Much appreciated.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

jam-s

29 Jul 2022

GlacierRays wrote:
28 Jul 2022
Aside from these file locations, after lots of testing I've figured out that my main problem is with the Akai MPK Mini (1st Gen) itself. Despite having default codecs and maps for it in the above location, for some reason it isn't detected properly by R12 Suite (maybe an issue with the latest Mac OS, maybe something else?). I screen recorded the progress bar when it searches after clicking "Auto-detect Surfaces" and it doesn't even list the Akai MPK Mini as one it's searching for, only the Mk2 version (which has its own default codecs and maps in the file structure, it doesn't share them with the 1st gen) - so this must be why it doesn't detect it properly. And because it isn't detected properly, and instead just shows up in the "Easy MIDI Inputs" section, the remote maps don't work.
Instead of auto-detection you could try to manually add it as a control surface and just select the right options. You might be lucky that it possibly works like this.

huggermugger

29 Jul 2022

GlacierRays wrote:
26 Jul 2022

There's also nothing in Macintosh HD / Users / 'username' / Library / Application Support / Propellerhead Software / Remote. The Remote folder is there, but there are zero files in it, and showing hidden files and folders doesn't reveal anything here either.
I'm only on Mojave, but this might help you. There are two Libraries, and each one has a Remote Folder. One Library is visible, the other one is hidden. The visible one is simply accessed from the sidebar. The hidden one is accessed from the Go menu in the Finder while holding Option. Interestingly, I found the Remote Maps in the visible library.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 12.22.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 12.22.10 PM.png (629.43 KiB) Viewed 10949 times

GlacierRays

30 Jul 2022

jam-s wrote:
29 Jul 2022
GlacierRays wrote:
28 Jul 2022
Aside from these file locations, after lots of testing I've figured out that my main problem is with the Akai MPK Mini (1st Gen) itself. Despite having default codecs and maps for it in the above location, for some reason it isn't detected properly by R12 Suite (maybe an issue with the latest Mac OS, maybe something else?). I screen recorded the progress bar when it searches after clicking "Auto-detect Surfaces" and it doesn't even list the Akai MPK Mini as one it's searching for, only the Mk2 version (which has its own default codecs and maps in the file structure, it doesn't share them with the 1st gen) - so this must be why it doesn't detect it properly. And because it isn't detected properly, and instead just shows up in the "Easy MIDI Inputs" section, the remote maps don't work.
Instead of auto-detection you could try to manually add it as a control surface and just select the right options. You might be lucky that it possibly works like this.
I did try this but unfortunately it still didn't work, for some reason it wasn't reading the remote maps even added manually so knob 1 was still defaulted to mod wheel and knobs 2-8 weren't inputting data at all, even when using the "Edit Remote Override" function.

I think it's just a weird bug with the 1st gen mini specifically and seeing how old it is (and how many others on here seem to have issues with Akai in general) it's unlikely to be fixed. I bought an Oxygen Pro Mini instead.

GlacierRays

30 Jul 2022

huggermugger wrote:
29 Jul 2022
GlacierRays wrote:
26 Jul 2022

I'm only on Mojave, but this might help you. There are two Libraries, and each one has a Remote Folder. One Library is visible, the other one is hidden. The visible one is simply accessed from the sidebar. The hidden one is accessed from the Go menu in the Finder while holding Option. Interestingly, I found the Remote Maps in the visible library.
yeah I think this is an issue with the latest Mac OS - the visible library you show doesn't contain the remote folder or any files for me on 12.4 Monterey, only "Shared Resources" and "Soundbanks". Looks like there are 3 other folders missing for me from your library too. I also have the hidden user one with the empty remote folder you show.

But thankfully zumBeispiel was able to help me, my remote files are found if I right click the Reason application file, select 'Show Package Contents' then do Content / Resources / Remote, and they're all in there and work as expected with my other controller - so it looks like the issue is with the 1st gen MPK Mini itself, I've just bought a different portable controller.

GlacierRays

30 Jul 2022

[Cross-posted from the hardware thread in case anyone here has the same issue]

I found a workaround for my Akai MPK Mini issue! Wish i'd tested this before buying a new controller last night but oh well.

I can add the Mini manually using <Other>, then "MIDI Multichannel Control Keyboard" (I use the Multichannel option because it defaults to no automatic mapping, which means I don't have to edit a remote file to remove all the automatic mapping. I just do that as personal preference as I don't like accidentally moving a control and it changing something on an instrument without me realising - I do everything manually with Edit Remote Override. But I guess if you wanted automatic mapping you could use the non-multichannel option).

Then in the MIDI Input / Output settings select "MPK Mini".

After doing that i'm able to assign all the knobs 1-8 manually via Edit Remote Override. So at least this thing is usable again, but I do wish it had worked up front, especially seeing as it's listed as a supported device and there are default codecs and maps for it in the Remote files...

iTrensharo

02 Sep 2022

The Application Optional Content in the User Music Folder is such a bad application design that I am shocked it persists.

It doesn't help that the application installer does nothing to inform the user where that content is being downloaded and unpacked to. I found it completely by chance... when I was moving my Music to a different drive... If I hadn't decided to go through the list of folders just to check to see if there was anything that doesn't need to be moved, I'd have completely missed it.

Not just the Optional Content ReFills, but also application templates? Umm, what?

That's the kind of stuff that should be stored in %ProgramData% (I use Windows); and frankly the stock application templates should probably be in the Application Folder to guard them against tampering/deletion.

integerpoet

18 Sep 2022

Anyone know to what extent these paths can be redirected by means of file-system-level shenanigans such as symbolic links?

Me, i would just buy a more capacious disk, but some people would rather do things like install Reason on an external volume because their boot volume is getting full.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2022

integerpoet wrote:
18 Sep 2022
Anyone know to what extent these paths can be redirected by means of file-system-level shenanigans such as symbolic links?

Me, i would just buy a more capacious disk, but some people would rather do things like install Reason on an external volume because their boot volume is getting full.
Yes they all can... and because it's quicker than installing a new system drive.

integerpoet

19 Sep 2022

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
19 Sep 2022
integerpoet wrote:
18 Sep 2022
(YouTube video)
I haven't used Windows in years, but this video looks perfect. I passed it along. Thanks!

integerpoet

19 Sep 2022

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
19 Sep 2022
integerpoet wrote:
18 Sep 2022
…because it's quicker than installing a new system drive.
I'm sure there are many potential reasons. Cost might be another, for example.

I'm just saying it's OK to beat the problem to death with any stick you choose. :puf_smile:

And in particular I expect upgrading your boot drive is the least complex over the long haul, so if you prioritize such things…

Mataya

15 Nov 2022

Maybe it's not a bad idea to add a folder where 1.5GB of update file is downloaded, just as a reminder to empty it if it gets big.

Thanks,
Mataya

• Information