Chord clips

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Jagwah

29 May 2022

Whenever I get to using chords in the sequencer I find a lot of work needs doing to keep some organization.

If I come up with a chord progression, I like to then slice it to individual chords then label each one, possibly even color code them too. This makes it a lot easier when progressing in a track to grab that progression and change it or just add it again somewhere else. However, every time I start this process I feel like my time and creative energy is being hindered when it could be a lot simpler.

It would be great to pull out a C Major clip to place wherever I want for instance, it would be labelled therefore making it easy to follow. If I could see a list and just grab what chord clips I want and drop them where needed it would be very useful. I usually write by playing on my midi keyboard, and I would still find something like this a huge time saver and much better for organization.

Any thoughts?

PhillipOrdonez

29 May 2022

I don't have this problem cause I don't do any of that. It sounds like a ton of unnecessary work. No wonder if kills your time and creativity 😱

Maybe try just doing your chord progression one clip. No slicing. Maybe colour code the original progression and duplicate and modify with a different colour? πŸ€”

Jagwah

29 May 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote: ↑
29 May 2022
I don't have this problem cause I don't do any of that. It sounds like a ton of unnecessary work. No wonder if kills your time and creativity 😱

Maybe try just doing your chord progression one clip. No slicing. Maybe colour code the original progression and duplicate and modify with a different colour? πŸ€”
I want to know what chords are where so I know better which notes to add for melody and just to keep things organized.

If I used the Chord Player it's the same issue - no idea what chords are where even if I print them to track so I never really took to it.

Maybe I'm not explaining properly but I would find this very beneficial. If I just recorded a progression I would later on be wondering what notes are in those chords, hence this idea.

PhillipOrdonez

29 May 2022

How about typing the progression on the clip title? I viiΒ° iv ii

Or use the feature they added a few versions bank where you can see and edit the notes from various tracks at once.

Jagwah

29 May 2022

29 May 2022
How about typing the progression on the clip title? I viiΒ° iv ii

Or use the feature they added a few versions bank where you can see and edit the notes from various tracks at once.
My chord theory is not that great maybe that's why I struggle here. It's not a huge task to label my chord clips it just could be a lot simpler but maybe it's not for everyone anyway. Plus I am being delusional by making sequencer feature suggestions lol. That ghost feature may be my best bet probably, cheers.

challism

29 May 2022

Jagwah wrote: ↑
29 May 2022
Any thoughts?
What about using Blocks? Each block can be its own chord, and you can name them accordingly. Labels on blocks are also easier to read than clips.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Jagwah

29 May 2022

challism wrote: ↑
29 May 2022
29 May 2022
Any thoughts?
What about using Blocks? Each block can be its own chord, and you can name them accordingly. Labels on blocks are also easier to read than clips.
Oh damn that's a good idea, I only use blocks for markers and still could when trying this, cheers! :)

PhillipOrdonez

29 May 2022

Good idea Challism! Didn't think of that πŸ€”

challism

29 May 2022

29 May 2022
Good idea Challism! Didn't think of that πŸ€”
29 May 2022
Oh damn that's a good idea, I only use blocks for markers and still could when trying this, cheers! :)

It was only a matter of time before somebody else suggested Blocks. Glad to beat them to the punch!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

mimidancer

29 May 2022

29 May 2022
29 May 2022

I want to know what chords are where so I know better which notes to add for melody and just to keep things organized.

If I used the Chord Player it's the same issue - no idea what chords are where even if I print them to track so I never really took to it.

Maybe I'm not explaining properly but I would find this very beneficial. If I just recorded a progression I would later on be wondering what notes are in those chords, hence this idea.

You could just click the send notes to track and make a midi clip. BUT if you really love music. Learn some theory. You don't have to be hardcore, but you can easily learn to hear intervals and chord qualities. I would also recommend not strictly adhering to a key. but what you are talking about sounds a lot like https://www.hooktheory.com/

Kuranes2021

29 May 2022

I think I have exactly what you want. Two templates I once made, because I had the same problem you described. Just copy those two templates into your folder where the other Reason templates are safed (you can access that folder when you open "File"--> "new from template"-->"show template folder"

Here are the links to my two templates on dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldi6gyommsrgh ... eason?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wbsiy4v4va49 ... eason?dl=0

I labeled the clips with their roman numbers, that makes it easier if you want to remember the chord progression, or if you want to transpose it.

I highly recommend you the "hookpad" by hooktheory.com, an app that makes it very easy to compose chordprogressions and melodies. You can export your compositions into midi-format and import those midi files into Reason.

That app "hookpad" by is accompanied by two great E-books: "Hook Theory 1 & 2", available for example in the google play store.

here the link to "Hookpad"

https://www.hooktheory.com/

Enjoy! :)

DaveyG

29 May 2022

Or RS could just give us a chord track. And a marker track. And an arranger track.
Now, who mentioned being delusional?

mimidancer

29 May 2022

Kuranes2021 wrote: ↑
29 May 2022
I think I have exactly what you want. Two templates I once made, because I had the same problem you described. Just copy those two templates into your folder where the other Reason templates are safed (you can access that folder when you open "File"--> "new from template"-->"show template folder"

I labeled the clips with their roman numbers, that makes it easier if you want to remember the chord progression, or if you want to transpose it.

I highly recommend you the "hookpad" by hooktheory.com, an app that makes it very easy to compose chordprogressions and melodies. You can export your compositions into midi-format and import those midi files into Reason.

That app "hookpad" by is accompanied by two great E-books: "Hook Theory 1 & 2", available for example in the google play store.

Hey, we had the same idea.

Kuranes2021

29 May 2022

mimidancer wrote: ↑
29 May 2022
29 May 2022

Hey, we had the same idea.
LOL, yes, we indeed had the same idea! :D

Hooktheory is awesome, isn't it? But I still use my templates too, because it's easy if you just wish to drag the chords around. Either way, I hope our tips help the OP.

Jagwah

01 Jun 2022

29 May 2022
You could just click the send notes to track and make a midi clip. BUT if you really love music. Learn some theory. You don't have to be hardcore, but you can easily learn to hear intervals and chord qualities. I would also recommend not strictly adhering to a key. but what you are talking about sounds a lot like https://www.hooktheory.com/
Yes agree music theory is critically important here and I have a little that I get by on while slowly progressing with it. I have a bit of a bad attitude towards learning to train my ear and even hearing intervals though, I have tried Auralia ear training software and feel as though I simply can not teach myself these things, I can do it at an extremely basic level, but then it's as if the stuff is just beyond me. I also read many times that having a trained ear is something that can be learned only when very young. Open to hear anything to the contrary, I'm sure knowing chord qualities could help tremendously when composing.

I see the similarity hookpad has to the chord clips like I am suggesting here, I could definitely write chord progression using clips like this easier than what I am doing at the moment.
DaveyG wrote: ↑
29 May 2022
Or RS could just give us a chord track. And a marker track. And an arranger track.

Jagwah

01 Jun 2022

29 May 2022

Yes this is definitely more what I am talking about. I could not open the Reason 11 file. I am not sure why the clips only have one note each in them. The idea is to have all the triads ready to go at least, even all the chord variations if labelled correctly would be useful.

More than ten years ago 3rd Floor Sound released The Theory Refill, I wish I could get my hands on it, I even bough it at the time but it must be on an old HDD I am not using.
See here how everything is labelled, this is more what I am after:
3rd floor sound the theory refill.jpg
3rd floor sound the theory refill.jpg (80.39 KiB) Viewed 2253 times

This was a very comprehensive refill, see a review here: http://www.reason101.net/2011/05/17/the-theory-refill/

Unfortunately the site won't open and I can't buy it anywhere. If anyone has it please message me. It really is what I am after, if only Reason had an option in the sequencer where I could pull out all the C major triads and copy them as I pleased just like this.

Appreciate you taking the time, thanks. Again I'm not sure what's in the R11 file.

mimidancer

01 Jun 2022

01 Jun 2022
29 May 2022
Yes agree music theory is critically important here and I have a little that I get by on while slowly progressing with it. I have a bit of a bad attitude towards learning to train my ear and even hearing intervals though, I have tried Auralia ear training software and feel as though I simply can not teach myself these things, I can do it at an extremely basic level, but then it's as if the stuff is just beyond me. I also read many times that having a trained ear is something that can be learned only when very young. Open to hear anything to the contrary, I'm sure knowing chord qualities could help tremendously when composing.

I see the similarity hookpad has to the chord clips like I am suggesting here, I could definitely write chord progression using clips like this easier than what I am doing at the moment.
DaveyG wrote: ↑
29 May 2022
II started playing music when I was 5-years old. I started on violin. The thing about the violin is one must be able to discern if the interval is correct when playing as there are no frets. So hearing intervals is second nature for me. That being said I know most anyone can learn to hear them. If I may give you some advice, When you put something together that you like, figure out the theory to describe what you did. One does not need theory to write great songs. One does not have to follow the rules, but it is more fun breaking the rules when you know them. remember you do not have to have perfect pitch to hear the quality and function of chords. I am pushing to push you to start learning because I am a Hufflepuff. Us Hufflepuffs know that potential is special and that growth in any area brings happiness. Write something good today. Keep growing and be well.

Jagwah

07 Jun 2022

01 Jun 2022
II started playing music when I was 5-years old. I started on violin. The thing about the violin is one must be able to discern if the interval is correct when playing as there are no frets. So hearing intervals is second nature for me. That being said I know most anyone can learn to hear them. If I may give you some advice, When you put something together that you like, figure out the theory to describe what you did. One does not need theory to write great songs. One does not have to follow the rules, but it is more fun breaking the rules when you know them. remember you do not have to have perfect pitch to hear the quality and function of chords. I am pushing to push you to start learning because I am a Hufflepuff. Us Hufflepuffs know that potential is special and that growth in any area brings happiness. Write something good today. Keep growing and be well.
Yeah no frets on a violin that is one serious instrument!

Thank you for the advice and enthusiasm I appreciate that, and I don't see why I can't at least learn chord qualities and their functions which will benefit me a great deal, thanks again Hufflepuff! :puf_bigsmile:

Quarmat
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2022

01 Jun 2022
Us Hufflepuffs know that potential is special and that growth in any area brings happiness.
Hufflepuff reporting for duty!

crimsonwarlock

07 Jun 2022

07 Jun 2022
-------
Analog tape β‡’ ESQ1 sequencer board β‡’ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 β‡’ Atari/Cubase β‡’ Cakewalk Sonar β‡’ Orion Pro/Platinum β‡’ Reaper β‡’ Reason DAW.

Jagwah

09 Jun 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote: ↑
07 Jun 2022
07 Jun 2022
She ruined it lol, very interesting to see though. :thumbs_up:

Quarmat wrote: ↑
07 Jun 2022
01 Jun 2022
Us Hufflepuffs know that potential is special and that growth in any area brings happiness.
Hufflepuff reporting for duty!

• Information