Chord SQ from Retouch

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Mataya

16 Dec 2021

Maybe I should start this one, since I really love their Re's.

It's not really that complicated, but I would recommend reading a manual, cos you will save yourself some time searching for can I do this answers.

Lot's of control over whole sequence, only rows or single steps. It can be a simple single note sequencer or long chord progression sequencer. Really interesting device for Reason.

It kinda feels they could of integrate those functions into their phrase player, but maybe it would be an overkill.

Bought it and like it.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... sequencer/

M
Last edited by Mataya on 16 Dec 2021, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipOrdonez

16 Dec 2021

Nice one, thanks for the heads up

Mattvank

17 Dec 2021

Yes, very intresting thanks too!
Very cool to make switches for basslines after each bar for exsample.

PS: 3 bar option would be nice ;)

Quarmat
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2021

This is nice, and at a fair price, but it lacks something very important I think: there should be the possibility of choosing the chords as relation such as VI, iii, Vsus4, ii, i7 etc.

Or, at least, i wasn't able to find it.

challism

17 Dec 2021

I've got every player in the shop, excluding Retouch Control's. I just don't really 'get" most of their players or understand how I would use them, with the exception of Phrase. I tried Phrase and really liked it. I plan on getting it eventually. This one looks like a sister player for Phrase, whereas that was for notes, this is for Chords. Looks like a great pair. I think I will probably pick this one up, too (eventually).

If anybody has good examples of how they use the other Retouch Control players, I would be interested to learn.
Mattvank wrote:
17 Dec 2021

You could follow it with StaticCling AutoLatch. It will hold gates open for up to 16 bars.

al.JPG
al.JPG (50.87 KiB) Viewed 12926 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

RetouchControl
RE Developer

19 Dec 2021

Quarmat wrote:
17 Dec 2021
This is nice, and at a fair price, but it lacks something very important I think: there should be the possibility of choosing the chords as relation such as VI, iii, Vsus4, ii, i7 etc.

Or, at least, i wasn't able to find it.
Not exactly what you asked for, but the next update will have the option to display scale degrees as roman numerals for the root notes.

RetouchControl
RE Developer

19 Dec 2021

Mattvank wrote:
17 Dec 2021

There is an option to "Tie" steps together for arbitrary lengths, so it is possible to have 3 bar. In any case, we are looking at more options for step lengths in the next update :thumbup:

RetouchControl
RE Developer

19 Dec 2021

challism wrote:
17 Dec 2021
I've got every player in the shop, excluding Retouch Control's. I just don't really 'get" most of their players or understand how I would use them, with the exception of Phrase.
hey Challism, if you have specific questions about any of the players, it would be good to hear them. It might help some other folks in here as well. Thanks!

steff3

19 Dec 2021

>> there should be the possibility of choosing the chords as relation such as VI, iii, Vsus4, ii, i7 etc.

Yes, somehow it seems not totally logical how it is now, if I understand it correctly. You select a root note for each slot and then transpose the whole sequence. Would be more straight forward to have a scale degree on the step and a general root note which can be animated.

Other than that, looks nice.

best

Mattvank

19 Dec 2021

RetouchControl wrote:
19 Dec 2021
Mattvank wrote:
17 Dec 2021

There is an option to "Tie" steps together for arbitrary lengths, so it is possible to have 3 bar. In any case, we are looking at more options for step lengths in the next update :thumbup:
Yes nice, also 1,5 and 2,5 if possible.
:thumbs_up: for that RE.

Mataya

19 Dec 2021

Easy way to play with it without the midi keyboard is to place a "latch note" FREE player to trigger Chord SQ with a never ending note. Latch player just plays one note until you stop it. So if you want to just mess with a sequence and have it stayed on, try it like that.

Still a great player. You can do a whole chord progression inside rack. That's great for me do, because I stay away from Reason sequencer as much as I can.

M

challism

19 Dec 2021

RetouchControl wrote:
19 Dec 2021
challism wrote:
17 Dec 2021
I've got every player in the shop, excluding Retouch Control's. I just don't really 'get" most of their players or understand how I would use them, with the exception of Phrase.
hey Challism, if you have specific questions about any of the players, it would be good to hear them. It might help some other folks in here as well. Thanks!
Thanks for the offer to answer questions. I'll have a look at your players and ask any questions I have; maybe even start a "Ask Retouch Control about their Players" thread.

As for this particular Player, it looks very, very useful. I'll most likely get it.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2021

RetouchControl wrote:
19 Dec 2021

Not exactly what you asked for, but the next update will have the option to display scale degrees as roman numerals for the root notes.
Thank you, I think that will make life much easier for people like me who thinks in "roman numerals" when it comes to harmony :)

Can't wait for the update! So far I am enjoying ChordSQ very much!

moneykube

19 Dec 2021

challism wrote:
19 Dec 2021
I'll have a look at your players and ask any questions I have; maybe even start a "Ask Retouch Control about their Players" thread.
I think that is a good idea. Any hints and ideas would be welcome. I am not the brightest bulb on the tree with these players. I do have a couple of them, but have not had much time to explore them as my 2 wrists heal from a bad fall 3 months ago... I have far too many racks to learn. :oops: :exclamation:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2021

I’ve got them all except this new one and have used them with various degrees of success. Also got the chord and note REs. I think they were one of the first devices to do to the chords and scales thing and were the only solution to my problem at the time.
Now I’ve got about 10 other devices that do the same thing.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Stygian Abyss

20 Dec 2021

I have all Retouch Control RE devices except Jammer, and like them. The Grid devices, that allow me to use my Launchpad X with Reason, are my favorites and are used in every projects. This new one is really nice too. :thumbup:

artotaku

20 Dec 2021

One feature I would like to see with this player is a "Minimize Leap" as it is called in in Captain Chords (inversion setting) that is applied the whole chord progression. So starting with the first chord the inversions of all following chords are adapted automatically to the nearest chord notes of the previous chord just like a piano player would play without needing to move hands much.
I´m currently using TonicMint´s "InRange" player to achieve this (CNL/CNU setting) but this player requires to set the range manually where the operation mode is be applied.

Bes
Competition Winner

20 Dec 2021

i think there is an "optimise chords" menu item that does something similar to this (minimize leap) but i am unable to confirm right now
- Certified Reason expert

artotaku

20 Dec 2021

Bes wrote:
20 Dec 2021
i think there is an "optimise chords" menu item that does something similar to this (minimize leap) but i am unable to confirm right now
I saw that too and had a look in the manual. It seems it should do what I want but when I apply it it just does nothing.
If progression is
Cmaj - Emin7 - Amin - Fmaj (all root notes, no inversion) I would have expected that it will invert some of the chords so the notes are closer but it just does nothing. I would really like to know how the algorithm works here. Maybe the notes of this progression are still too close?

[EDIT]
I found that optimise chords only has an effect if the chords are in different octaves. This is not what I want. It should actally apply to chords within the same octave.

RetouchControl
RE Developer

20 Dec 2021

artotaku wrote:
20 Dec 2021
[EDIT]
I found that optimise chords only has an effect if the chords are in different octaves. This is not what I want. It should actally apply to chords within the same octave.
The current implementation of "Optimize Voicings" (from the Sequence Edit menu) is more useful when there are big jumps from chord to chord. For same octave basic progressions like in your example, not so much. We''ll look into further optimizations for the next update.

challism

01 Jan 2022

When does the intro price end?

Just trialing this player now. I really like it so far. It's really nice to see a chord player with so many sus chord options... seems that all the sus2 and sus4 chord variations often times get left out.

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (463.52 KiB) Viewed 12389 times

demt

04 Jan 2022

What's the advantage over a keyboard
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

challism

04 Jan 2022

I picked this up before the intro price expired. Nice player, Retouch. Now I've got to get Phrase to complete the set (feels like a set).
demt wrote:
04 Jan 2022
What's the advantage over a keyboard
As a poor pianist (I can't even really call myself that without laughing or feeling like a fraud), the first advantage I can think of is being able to easily and flawlessly try out many, many possible chord combinations/progressions/randomizations/alterations/inversions without having to stop and think about how to make those chords on a piano/keyboard. I can't just sit down and play a bunch of exotic chords without stopping to think about how they are constructed - and all the inversions. I don't even know how to make a CmM11 chord, but this player does. Ease of experimentation without the frustration of physical skill limitations is the advantage for me.

huggermugger

04 Jan 2022

Just pulled the trigger on this one. Can't wait to combine it with devices like Step and QuadNoteGenerator.

PS, please consider adding a Walk mode to the Direction options. Walk, or Brownian, would make for some very interesting and very musical results.

• Information