News from Noise Engineering: free REs, new/updated REs

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
NoiseEng
RE Developer

18 Nov 2021

Greetings!
We at Noise Engineering have been busy and we bring forth news.
  • Free! We have three new FREE Rack Extensions available now in the shop. Some of you asked for these when we were in beta on our VST plugin version of these products. Since we are only licensed to produce VST3 products, they were not Reason compatible. Today we change that and you have RE versions that are made especially for the RE ecosystem. These include two synths (Sinc Vereor and Virt Vereor), and our multidistortion, Ruina. Get them at the Noise Engineering page in the shop.
    https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/brow ... ngineering
  • New / Improved! We also announce three new and/or improved REs to the shop today.
    1. Basimilus, a new-and-improved version of our flagship synth. Made initially as a universal drum synth, Basimilus is absolutely stand out as leads, pads, basses...you name it.
    2. Cursus Vereor, another new-and-improved synth that can be shaped to create gentle plucks and pads but excels at organic and synthetic basses and aggressive tones.
    3. Desmodus, our reverb extension, but don't think of this as a room emulator. Turn your sound from a beautiful clocked delay to a shimmering reverb to an uncanny, nightmarish atmosphere.

Since our Rack Extensions come from Euroack modules, they are created with the intention of being modulated. They slot into the Reason ecosystem beautifully.
  • If you already own some of the NE REs, you may notice that a couple of familiar names have an updated look and a slightly different sound. You should be getting the new versions as free upgrades shortly! They are named differently and will NOT replace the old versions in your rack. The core functionality will be the same, but in some corner cases, you'll find the products sound slightly different, and we think, better.

EDIT for clarification: if you own Basimilus Iteritas, you will get Basimilus.
    If you own Cursus Iteritas Vereor, you will get Cursus Vereor.
    Sinc Iter Vereor is replaced by the free Sinc Vereor (available to everyone).

The Reason Shop folks are working on this and will get to it as soon as possible.

If you don't own these yet, they are on sale now, 50% off, through the end of November! Bundle page coming soon (sale also applies to that). Get them at the Noise Engineering page in the shop.
    https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/brow ... ngineering
  • But why?
    Here at NE, we have gotten a lot of requests for plugin versions of our products, and we're working to honor that. So here's our attempt at complete transparency about our process. As we created plugins, we realized it was a good time to give the Rack extensions a bit of an update and make them better, but also align our production pipeline so that we can more effectively release products in both worlds. We're working to align the plugin and Reason bundles. It will be a few months / releases of awkwardness while we do this, but we will never take away an existing RE you have, and will work with the shop to get you improved versions as long as they let us. This does not count as an update (that would replace the old version), so it's a bit of a process, so this may be slow at times, but we are working on this.
I have long said we wanted to get back to making Rack Extensions. The Reason audience is fantastically supportive and we can't thank you enough, so consider this step one to doing that. We have a very long list of things we want to accomplish in this space and we're just getting started.

Finally, this release would not have been possible without the assistance from our beta testers, so a gigantic thank you to the people who helped us and reported bugs. I don't know the etiquette here about naming them, so I'll just say that everyone who reported bugs and helped us with tests is thanked in the manuals for these REs.

Are you still reading? Go get your free REs.

Thanks for being great, Reason users. And always, drop us a line with questions. We're happy to help.
Last edited by NoiseEng on 20 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Kris
Noise Engineering
Doer of the Things
Two of Seven

Adabler
Competition Winner

18 Nov 2021

Thank you very much! Ruina is insane!
:reason: 12, Win10

NoiseEng
RE Developer

18 Nov 2021

Adabler wrote:
18 Nov 2021
Thank you very much! Ruina is insane!
Thank you so much! We have had such a good time with it. It surprises us how gentle it can go...and then, you know, utter destruction. :lol:
Kris
Noise Engineering
Doer of the Things
Two of Seven

PhillipOrdonez

18 Nov 2021

😍

Adabler
Competition Winner

18 Nov 2021

Is there a reasoning behind the strange patch folder names? Also, that's a lot of patches! Thanks!

DaveyG

18 Nov 2021

Adabler wrote:
18 Nov 2021
Is there a reasoning behind the strange patch folder names? Also, that's a lot of patches! Thanks!
Unhelpful patch names and nonsensical, pretentious product names are a bit of a trademark of Noise Engineering. I suspect the product names might lose them some sales but they seem to do alright regardless.

challism

18 Nov 2021

DaveyG wrote:
18 Nov 2021
Adabler wrote:
18 Nov 2021
Unhelpful patch names and nonsensical, pretentious product names are a bit of a trademark of Noise Engineering. I suspect the product names might lose them some sales but they seem to do alright regardless.
Is this your way of saying "thanks for the free REs"? ;)

BTW, thanks for the free REs, Noise Engineering!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Adabler
Competition Winner

18 Nov 2021

DaveyG wrote:
18 Nov 2021
I don't mind the product names, I mean we already have Legend, Obsession, Europa to name a few, but I would prefer bass and lead folders over PrtScr and PgDn. :)

rcbuse
RE Developer

18 Nov 2021

These things are awesome. Lectric Panda Refills are available as well!

Lectric Panda Generates Basimilus.rfl (2M) [NEW]
Lectric Panda Generates Basimilus v Beatmap.rfl (23M) [NEW]
Lectric Panda Generates Cursus Vereor.rfl (4M) [NEW]
Lectric Panda Generates Desmodus.rfl (2M) [NEW]
Lectric Panda Generates Ruina.rfl (2M) [NEW]
Lectric Panda Generates Sinc Vereor.rfl (3M) [NEW]
Lectric Panda Generates Virt Vereor.rfl (4M) [NEW]

Download Here

Shot of the Basimilus Combinator
BeatManBasimilus.jpg
BeatManBasimilus.jpg (788.67 KiB) Viewed 12715 times
Last edited by rcbuse on 18 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.

DaveyG

18 Nov 2021

challism wrote:
18 Nov 2021
DaveyG wrote:
18 Nov 2021

Is this your way of saying "thanks for the free REs"? ;)

BTW, thanks for the free REs, Noise Engineering!
I've added them to my account and not bothered downloading them. I have too much stuffz already but I can't resist a freebie, even if I'll never use it. :thumbup:
I just think they could drop the arsey parts of the product names and perhaps avoid turning off potential customers.

For example, instead of calling a product "Cursus Vereor" and with a summary line of "Digital VCO", you could choose to call it "Cursus" and give it a summary of "Wavetable Synth". One is way more memorable and helpful than the other. But it's not something I'm going to lose sleep over. Their product, their choice.

NoiseEng
RE Developer

18 Nov 2021

Adabler wrote:
18 Nov 2021
My reply appears to have gotten eaten, so apologies if I double post here.

We have a longer explanation in the manuals, but in short, our core philosophy is that we don't like to tell people what to do with things. If I tell someone that a preset/patch is a snare, that puts that sound in a box for them, and often limits the creativity around how they will use it. But if I tell them "this sound is 'wingding!'" it doesn't have the same effect, and they are far more likely to hear the sound as they want to hear it. Psychoacoustics is weird.

Back when I had my first DX7, I remember gravitating toward the obscurely named presets like "Dancer" over ones that were supposed to "be" something (EPiano hahaha). It just made me far more creative in how I used it, and we just wanted to keep that spirit alive, rather than being prescriptive about how you should use things. Also, this approach leads to far fewer arguments about what a particular patch actually sounds like as we name them. :)
DaveyG wrote:
18 Nov 2021
No real pretense here, just a bunch of dorks who don't take themselves very seriously at all. We hope you'll try out the free REs. Afterall, what's in a name? A Ruina by any other name would distort just as much. :puf_smile:
Kris
Noise Engineering
Doer of the Things
Two of Seven

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Nov 2021

Dorks who don’t take themselves seriously are the best kind :):):). Thanks for the REs.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Ottostrom

18 Nov 2021

Wow this was unexpected and very generous :)
Thanks for the free REs!

Adabler
Competition Winner

18 Nov 2021

NoiseEng wrote:
18 Nov 2021
We have a longer explanation in the manuals, but in short, our core philosophy is that we don't like to tell people what to do with things. If I tell someone that a preset/patch is a snare, that puts that sound in a box for them, and often limits the creativity around how they will use it. But if I tell them "this sound is 'wingding!'" it doesn't have the same effect, and they are far more likely to hear the sound as they want to hear it. Psychoacoustics is weird.

Back when I had my first DX7, I remember gravitating toward the obscurely named presets like "Dancer" over ones that were supposed to "be" something (EPiano hahaha). It just made me far more creative in how I used it, and we just wanted to keep that spirit alive, rather than being prescriptive about how you should use things. Also, this approach leads to far fewer arguments about what a particular patch actually sounds like as we name them. :)
I can get behind that! Thanks for the explanation. :thumbs_up:

sonicbyte

18 Nov 2021

Thank you !

MarkTarlton

18 Nov 2021

This is great stuff NE! Thanks a lot for the freebies, I have a few of your RE's and enjoy them a lot.

Also thanks for the refills Panda! You guys are very generous for sharing your work.

joeyluck

18 Nov 2021

They are all so amazing! Such incredible sounds and so much fun to tweak!

Excellent job by the "Destroyer of Worlds" on the walkthrough videos!

ksniod

18 Nov 2021

Amazing! Thanks so much

VIVIsect

18 Nov 2021

Thanks so much! I'm already in love with Ruina. A friend of mine was showing me the plugin version a while back and I thought it was great. Super psyched to have an RE version. And for free!

taddx

18 Nov 2021

I purchased the synth bundle 1 last week and its amazing.. now the freebies - great stuff!!

taddx

18 Nov 2021

.. and thanks to Panda for the refills!

MarkTarlton

18 Nov 2021

I installed the 3 new free RE's and Ruina doesn't seem to want to install.

I deleted the file from the authorizer and downloaded again, than restarted R12 and still it's not showing up. The other 2 are in there.

Another weird thing I noticed upon installing was the date said Nov. 13th, and after deleting Ruina and installing again it changed the dates to the 18th. I'm sure I'll figure it out soon, but thought it was worth mentioning in case others have the same experience.

edit - Okay after a final restart it showed up :)
Last edited by MarkTarlton on 18 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Adabler
Competition Winner

18 Nov 2021

MarkTarlton wrote:
18 Nov 2021

I deleted the file from the authorizer and downloaded again, than restarted R12 and still it's not showing up. The other 2 are in there.

Another weird thing I noticed upon installing was the date said Nov. 13th, and after deleting Ruina and installing again it changed the dates to the 18th. I'm sure I'll figure it out soon, but thought it was worth mentioning in case others have the same experience.
It's an effect unit. Did you see under effects?

MarkTarlton

18 Nov 2021

Adabler wrote:
18 Nov 2021
MarkTarlton wrote:
18 Nov 2021

It's an effect unit. Did you see under effects?
yes I did, it's all good now.

BRIGGS

18 Nov 2021

r11s

• Information