Reason 12 has arrived

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Michaellos

01 Sep 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Michaellos wrote:
01 Sep 2021

It's been about an hour or so since I am on Reason 12, I'll test it more later, of course, but but my first impressions were the ones I wrote above :? Possibly I will contact support. Anyway, if performance really got worse, it has to be fixed
Let me know how it goes. I'll be keeping a close eye on things like these before I rush to upgrade.
Ok, I need a day or two to draw some conclusions. And, as I can see, I am not the only one disappointed

Rick75

01 Sep 2021

Hi just want to say how disappointed I am with the HD in Reason 12.

And much as I love Ryan and his fantastic tutorials, I specifically asked him on YouTube how HD would work with third party rack devices and if each vendor would need to update their devices to render in HD.

This was not an issue Ryan explained because all device artwork was already submitted in HD and therefore would render fine.

Not the case. Just bought Reason 12 and everything except core devices is low res and blocky when I view it at 150%+ zoom. Even PX7, a Reason Studios device looks rough as hell. None of the background bitmap/labels have been redrawn It's the same old text blown up and distorted and it looks super rough.

Stuff like Complex 1 appears to have hi-res fonts for options but the background bitmap, in particular any circular bitmap graphics look sketchy as hell like they've just been blown up in Photoshop and not redrawn in HD.

So what exactly did I pay for today? Mimic and a new Combinator then. Thanks. Not convinced I'm getting £129 worth of value here. Glad Reason Studios has a 30 day return policy :?

Arrant
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2021

You're doing it wrong.
I'm not happy with the implementation, but all rack devices are updated to HD in Reason 12

rgdaniel

01 Sep 2021

"SYNC ALL" is your friend, I think.

lowtom

01 Sep 2021

If you run Authorizer, do you see your RE's names listed in format "rack extension name (hi-res)"? If not then you need to perform Sync All.
:reason: :refill: :re:

EnochLight

01 Sep 2021

Dunderpatrullen wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Same here!

Projects that runs really smooth on R11 now runs like 1FPS and trying to get VSTs in the master chain does not work :/

Anyone know a workaround for now?

OS W10 Pro
Processor Intel 10 core i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz
RAM 64,0 GB
GPU Geforce 1080 Ti
HDD MP600 GEN4 NVME
Do you have Reason 12 listed in your Nvidia control panel to take advantage of the GPU?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

WOO

01 Sep 2021

Dunderpatrullen wrote:
01 Sep 2021
altron wrote:
01 Sep 2021
So, Ok I upgraded to Reason 12 from 11.

First impression: Everything somehow feels more sluggish. It's the new UI rendering that supports upscaling but I know it's only slow at the first opening of any combi, or scrolling to any device. But it surely needs polish.
Same here!

Projects that runs really smooth on R11 now runs like 1FPS and trying to get VSTs in the master chain does not work :/

Sorry no to your question. But my work around will be to wait for several months and let them work on the bugs.

Michaellos

01 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Dunderpatrullen wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Same here!

OS W10 Pro
Processor Intel 10 core i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz
RAM 64,0 GB
GPU Geforce 1080 Ti
HDD MP600 GEN4 NVME
Do you have Reason 12 listed in your Nvidia control panel to take advantage of the GPU?
I have Nvidia as well, where can I do that ?

Michaellos

01 Sep 2021

Does anyone know - if I have already Reason 12 license written on my dongle, will I have any problems downgrading to Reason 11 ? The more I test Reason 12, the more I miss Reason 11 :(
Last edited by Michaellos on 01 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Zac

01 Sep 2021

Sorry if this has come up before but it's a long thread...

A lot of my REs are coming up as corrupt and I'm not getting them to reinstall by redownloading from my REs page, do I have to delete them in authorizer first?

Michaellos

01 Sep 2021

Zac wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Sorry if this has come up before but it's a long thread...

A lot of my REs are coming up as corrupt and I'm not getting them to reinstall by redownloading from my REs page, do I have to delete them in authorizer first?
First of all - make a backup of your REs if you would like to get back to Reason 11, and I'm sure you will

tronam

01 Sep 2021

I’m assuming based on lots of earlier comments that R12 is not automatically refreshing currently downloaded assets with high-res replacements? Is this supposed to happen eventually and we’re just not seeing it yet because of launch-day server slowness?
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

EnochLight

01 Sep 2021

Michaellos wrote:
01 Sep 2021
EnochLight wrote:
01 Sep 2021

I have Nvidia as well, where can I do that ?
Open your Nvidia Control Panel. Are you running GeForce Experience in your taskbar? If so, right-click on it and select Control Panel. If not, right-click on your desktop and select it. Once it opens, select the "Manage 3D Settings" from the menu on the left, and then the "Program Settings" tab on the right. Wait for your list to populate with all software it can read, and then from the 'Select a Program to Customize' drop down, find your Reason exe in the Reason 12 folder and select it to add. I did it for Companion as well, but I doubt that would take advantage of your GPU:

threeee-deeeeee.JPG
threeee-deeeeee.JPG (95.81 KiB) Viewed 38405 times
Michaellos wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Does anyone know - if I have already Reason 12 license written on my dongle, will I have any problems downgrading to Reason 11 ? The more I test Reason 12, the more I miss Reason 11 :(
Your dongle? You mean Computer Authorization? Reason doesn't support USB Ignition Key dongles anymore. Anyway, if you bought Reason 11 and Reason 12, you still have access to both. No biggie.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Arrant
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Open your Nvidia Control Panel. Are you running GeForce Experience in your taskbar? If so, right-click on it and select Control Panel. If not, right-click on your desktop and select it. Once it opens, select the "Manage 3D Settings" from the menu on the left, and then the "Program Settings" tab on the right. Wait for your list to populate with all software it can read, and then from the 'Select a Program to Customize' drop down, find your Reason exe in the Reason 12 folder and select it to add. I did it for Companion as well, but I doubt that would take advantage of your GPU:
This is just for overriding the default settings, I do not believe those steps are needed to let Reason use your GPU.

Eusantis

01 Sep 2021

I am very excited about Reason 12, despite my criticisms of how they are handling the marketing of the product, prioritizing the idea that it is a VST over that it is a DAW, and hindering the publicity of the launch for the good (thus they believe it) of the number of subscribers.

The proof is that at the moment the news of the launch has hardly transpired in any specialized media. It is the problem of releasing things little by little for the subscribers. The hype degenerates, and the advertising of the product also.

I hope they fix those glitches from now on, because Reason is still my favorite music production tool, and I want them to do their best. That there are improvements in the sequencer, for the next free update, to 12.5, perhaps, and that they work better on the marketing issue.

Loque

01 Sep 2021

Are VSTs now working in the RRP?
Reason12, Win10

retreed
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2021
No. :)

DNGmaestro
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2021

Where can we try the new patches? Is there a specific place to go or are they just among the other sounds?

phithegoldenratio

01 Sep 2021

Right-click any parameter of a device in a Combinator to quickly assign it to a control on the panel (Standalone only)

<<<- that suxx.. any *reason* for this? ^^

arqui

01 Sep 2021

New combinator !!! I need it? NO
Mimic !!! another zampler that does the same as any vst zampler !!! MMM
HD Graphics !!! very important to create music, it looks nice !!! another important thing.
browser improvements? I already got used to the old browser that works very well, do I need it? NO
that is all?
ah I forgot ... a fan that now turns ...
that they offer me for $ 129?
and seeing the forum I read that he has problems everywhere!
What is this a paid beta ???
I will wait for it to be something stable and finished and not a lot of future and promising things ...
I had never seen in a release of Reason (I'm from v 2.5) something so out of hand.
It is just my opinion, I will continue using Reason 11 that gives me so much joy.
Sorry Reason Studios I don't think this is the way ...
but I see that there are also happy people ...
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

PhillipOrdonez

01 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Dude.... Don't play with that! I thought there was an Easter egg on 12 when I read that. I so want vst loading on the RRP 😭

Exowildebeest

01 Sep 2021

DNGmaestro wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Where can we try the new patches? Is there a specific place to go or are they just among the other sounds?
Scroll down here:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/comb ... -reason-12

OverneathTheSkyBridg

01 Sep 2021

I saved my 7 day trial of Reason+ for this moment. Downloaded while I was at work, came home and installed it. Updating all the REs as I type this for the hi res assets. My initial impression is that it's really laggy. Really annoyed how the hi res also zooms everything, not just the rack (which I thought was the point of the hi res). I'll play with it for a few days and decide whether it's worth keeping or sticking with 11 Suite until the bugs are ironed out.

ab459

01 Sep 2021

Sorry did not followed v12 whole topics yet, think to try demo, it will install ok parallel with v11 suite ? Particularry i mean - rack plugin will not replace to new ?
Just want to compare in terms of cpu usage before upgrade. (Maybe someone did compare already ?)

Chi-Individual

01 Sep 2021

Just DL'd R12 trial and noticed a few things:

1. The folders in the browser for Instruments and FX won't stay collapsed. The Kilohearts fx RE's alone makes this a nightmare for my fx section having to scroll past them each and every time.
2. The EQ is now slightly transparent, which actually made me smile being it's such a small change, but I like it. :thumbup:
3. Folding and unfolding instruments and fx lags the very first time you click the fold arrow then is more fluid afterward. Also causes audio drop outs/glitches on some units when unfolding while playing the song.
4. Being able to separate my master insert fx into one Combi and my master mix fx into another and saving all of that screen real estate is something I didn't know I wanted but am happy I have it. :clap: :thumbup: :thumbs_up:
5. Scrolling with a Magic Mouse either with touch scroll or click and scroll is jerky. It eventually smooths out but if I don't scroll for more than a minute and then try to scroll again the first move is jerky.
6. About half my VST thumbnails were ported over. The rest I have to redo.
7. Weird transport behavior. The transport counter seems to move in "tics" (couldn't think of a better word) instead of smoothly during playback. Not an issue at all for me. But what's weird is when I stop playback the counter moves 1 extra tic before stopping. This happens when using the spacebar and when clicking directly on the Stop button in the transport bar with the mouse. Closing the project and reopening it seemed to lessen the frequency of it but not eliminate it. So it's hard to reproduce. I tried it on an audio file and it doesn't seem to be further in time with hitting play so I'm guessing this is only a visual glitch. I have R11 installed still for comparison and checked for it and it doesn't happen. So I guess not a big deal.

Well back to the testing.

Edited: 8. Faders in C2 assigned to Level control, in some units( tested Redrum, Rytmik and Algoritm so far), is not smooth. Levels jump as you move the faders.
Last edited by Chi-Individual on 01 Sep 2021, edited 2 times in total.

• Information