Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
Skimrok

27 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Poor Ryan is going to wake up to a complete shit storm, and then have to polish it before lunch.
that did make me chuckle :D stay in Bed Ryan dont use your phone or Internet :exclamation:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

miscend

27 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Poor Ryan is going to wake up to a complete shit storm, and then have to polish it before lunch.
A made up shit storm? We knew subscriptions were coming eventually and we knew they would be optional.

Shadoww

27 Jan 2021

ScuzzyEye wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Shadoww wrote:
27 Jan 2021
But they ARE discontinuing the Suite model. And replacing it with a subscription/renting model. If I loose my job, I loose my ability to make music.
I'm with you on the subscribing to software, for exactly the same reasoning. If I can't make more money to renew my subscription, that puts me in a really difficult position.

But no longer updating Suite doesn't mean you lose access to it. You still have Reason 11, and all the REs in the Suite. You can continue to use those forever. You just won't get the newest RS REs as they're released. But you can still buy them if you see one that you think would be a benefit, and you'll own that forever. When Reason 12 comes out later, you'll be able to upgrade the R11 from Suite to R12 for basically the same upgrade price they've always offered.
My point isn’t about my stupid decision to purchase reason 11 suite last year ( I know I can still use it for now). My issue is that some ‘creative’ software companies now seem to think it’s acceptable to move everyone over to subscription services and lock em in. They will make future standalone versions overpriced or in this case hide them in their website - forcing us into these contracts. Creative people are usually on low paid incomes or freelance contracts, especially musicians. Are Reason Studios not aware that during a global pandemic incomes (and lives) are now very precarious - people are struggling to pay their rent, let alone wanting to get a subscription service to make music? Is this really the best way to work with their customers going forward? To me it seems corporate greedy business creeps are jumping on the chance to screw us all over just like Spotify and the rest of them are doing right now. We need to wake up! This is not acceptable. I can not wait to see this livestream and see how they justify all this especially in 2021. If I were them I’d cancel - it just seems like they coming from a really privileged position in their castles unaware of what’s going on in the real world..
Last edited by Shadoww on 27 Jan 2021, edited 2 times in total.

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

Hello and welcome to Reason+ and companion live stream, and here's your host Ryan.
IMG_2451.JPG
IMG_2451.JPG (44.25 KiB) Viewed 7485 times
Hi folks, what's been happening where you are, over here we're having a shit storm.
Last edited by Billy+ on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Kuranes2021

27 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Yeah, i feel really sorry for Ryan, it's quite a shit storm. So, Ryan, if you're reading this: Although it'll feel as if the gates of hell have been ripped open, hear this: We still love you!

Loque

27 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Hello and welcome to Reason+ and companion live stream, and here's your host Ryan.

IMG_2451.JPG

Hi folks, what's been happening where you are, over here we're having a shit storm.
:lol:
Reason12, Win10

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

I'm thinking he should tell all the managers that he going to play banjo to us for a bit to cheer us all up.

Kypresso

27 Jan 2021

miscend wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
A made up shit storm? We knew subscriptions were coming eventually and we knew they would be optional.
No, some people feared it would turn to a subscription after the vulture capitalists got involved but hoped to be proved wrong and yet here it is.

the next logical step is that sometime not too far away, the permanent upgrade option will disappear and it will be subscription only. Thats the funding model companies wet dreams are made from.

So why wait, i'm getting off of reason studios treadmill as i hate paying for things i dont own that i can lose at moments notice.

plaamook

27 Jan 2021

Ted Pikul wrote:
27 Jan 2021
visheshl wrote:
27 Jan 2021

what do you think ? lol
Well, it seems to me that RS could just offer a $99 annual upgrade (with permanent license) that includes the core Reason updates (along with some select devices, perhaps) from the prior year. Then the anti-subscription customers could continue to support Reason, and the Reason+ people would still have an incentive to pay the monthly fee to get access to all RE's and sound packs. The all-or-nothing approach really doesn't make sense. If I want core Reason updates and a few specific RE's, it makes no sense to pay $240 a year to get access to everything.
That's the funny thing. I've bought every update since Reason 3 (even R11... :? ) and have no plans on skipping anything cause I'm ok with the idea of supporting them, Reason is my weapon of choice. And I'd commit to 99 units a year for core updates only if they want commitments for RnD etc. But only so long as once I stop, for whatever reason, I get to keep where I'm at. I don't need the extra gear. Just a new sequencer!
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

27 Jan 2021

Kypresso wrote:
27 Jan 2021
miscend wrote:
27 Jan 2021

No, some people feared it would turn to a subscription after the vulture capitalists got involved but hoped to be proved wrong and yet here it is.

the next logical step is that sometime not too far away, the permanent upgrade option will disappear and it will be subscription only. Thats the funding model companies wet dreams are made from.

So why wait, i'm getting off of reason studios treadmill as i hate paying for things i dont own that i can lose at moments notice.
I do't know. Even ProTools offer one off prices and upgrades next to their subscriptions.

Or here.

plaamook

27 Jan 2021

Shit storm suit...
Attachments
DI-OnWorkHazSewer.jpg
DI-OnWorkHazSewer.jpg (23.77 KiB) Viewed 7400 times
Last edited by plaamook on 27 Jan 2021, edited 4 times in total.

Or here.

EnochLight

27 Jan 2021

stp2015 wrote:
26 Jan 2021
EnochLight wrote:
26 Jan 2021

I have never, EVER, seen this hinted at anywhere. The day upgrades no longer cost money will be the day that Reason Studios adopts [Image-Line's approach with FL Studio], which will be never. :lol:
That does not mean he has not hinted at it. It just means you didn't see that hint. :D But glad you know the future with certainty :D :D
Yay! ;)

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/prod ... 1-upgrade/
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

lowtom

27 Jan 2021

seqoi wrote:
27 Jan 2021
No this is not fact. This is your interpretation.
Whatever mate. Here is RS on Twitter:
Reason perpetual licenses are not going away. We know that subscriptions aren't for everyone and that's why they're staying.
Read more about this in our blog:

seqoi wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Don't cry like a baby then.
I will not. I'm too old for that. RS owes me nothing apart from what I already have or will decide to get in the future.
seqoi wrote:
27 Jan 2021
In case you missed it, people aren't worried about current subscription. They are worried because current trend and directionless actions are heading toward subscription only.
Trend which is what? Speculation. Which is not hard fact. It's an idea of the future which may or may not happen. Time will tell.
seqoi wrote:
27 Jan 2021
On top of that PH just killed of "Suite" completely. It does not exist anymore. Obviously it was a cash grab back then. They sold me "complete" suite and now they are saying this is not complete anymore, they just removed it.
Everything you own is in your RS user account under My Products.
seqoi wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Just what?? Also it seems Reason 11 can not be trialed anymore. Whenever anyone click on 30 day trial - redirection to subscription page.
By the things that are now, you can trail by using Reason+ for 30 days for free.
seqoi wrote:
27 Jan 2021
If you don't see this as a worrying business moves you are looking to much of cartoons.
I'm not subscribing anywhere. I will vote with my wallet and I suggest every longtime user to do the same.

seqoi wrote:
27 Jan 2021
But hey they are saying in their blog that I can upgrade Suite to a Full version. Just what is that? My Suite isn't Full version anymore right?
It is full Reason 11 with additional Rack Extensions, which they named Suite as a whole.
:reason: :refill: :re:

chaosroyale

27 Jan 2021

Please let me know if you get the answer to this. Online-only authorization is a big no-no for me, I sometimes might be working in the mountains or a forest or something. I will not be updating until a few of these questions are sorted out clearly.
DaveyG wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I'm on Reason 11 but a couple of minor updates behind. If I update to the latest 11 and have no subscription can I still be authorised offline?

I'm worried I'll suddenly have to use the companion app and lose the ability to start Reason 11 offline.

Ottostrom

27 Jan 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Please let me know if you get the answer to this. Online-only authorization is a big no-no for me, I sometimes might be working in the mountains or a forest or something. I will not be updating until a few of these questions are sorted out clearly.
DaveyG wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I'm on Reason 11 but a couple of minor updates behind. If I update to the latest 11 and have no subscription can I still be authorised offline?

I'm worried I'll suddenly have to use the companion app and lose the ability to start Reason 11 offline.
This is what Mattias wrote in a new thread about ignition key not being supported anymore:

"You can still authorize your Reason license on one computer (being a single user license) for offline use even under new Macs. What's not supported is specifically the USB Ignition Key. The hardware key is discontinued and we haven't shipped that with Reason in years. Many new computers don't even have traditional USB ports, so it was high time to move to a purely digital solution that also saves on the environment."

diminished
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

Saving the environment by rendering functional, existing hardware obsolete? Hmmm!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

RoryM0

27 Jan 2021

Yeah a subscription isn't for me, but that's ok, I think it may well be an attractive proposition for getting new users in the door and I hope that's exactly what it does. However I am surprised that this R+ marketing explosion came before the HD update.

The core product still looks like a deep-fried meme. Too regularly am I squinting inches from my screen trying to see if I've selected a stepped or smooth random LFO shape.

Reason+ should have followed Reason HD.
Last edited by RoryM0 on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

vertibration

27 Jan 2021

They should have waited till the end of the year when Hi Rez was available and other upgrades. Releasing it now just pisses people off because they likely dont see value in moving to a subscription model. Waiting until the end of the year when the updates were ready, offers a choice for people who would have to pay to upgrade to Reason 12 anyway (or now its Reason +)

This was a bad decision for Reason Studios to do the subscription right now, it would have been less of a backlash if they waited

yahsmith

27 Jan 2021

avasopht wrote:
27 Jan 2021
yahsmith wrote:
27 Jan 2021

nope, its a move to subscription based model, they are forced to keep the regular license alive for sometine and it will be phased out eventually. then it will be subscription only...this is how i see it...i may be wrong... anyway...till that time i might continue to use it...
It's wrong because they can't move to a subscription-only model if it means losing all of their users.

Unlike Adobe, DAW users aren't mostly professionals making a living from it. Most DAW users are hobbyists.

For an organization, $75/mo per employee is peanuts (and they were paying roughly that same amount anyway). Ditto if you're making your living from it - and that's the all apps price (it's around $30/mo for smaller bundles).

I've even got the full Creative Cloud subscription, and I barely use it (well, not for anything I can't do in Gimp). But there's a potential work-related need. That is why Adobe can move to a subscription-only model.

The only way it would make financial sense for ReasonStudios to drop buy-to-own is if the cost of doing so exceeded the benefit, and I see little chance of that ever being the case without a massive subscription price drop.
That's wasn't my quote.... I do not think that buying reason straight out is going to go anywhere... Pro took has had a subscription based for years and you can still by a full licence

EnochLight

27 Jan 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
27 Jan 2021
DaveyG wrote:
27 Jan 2021

The answer is YES. If you purchase a traditional "forever license" upgrade for $129 USD, or the full-version of Reason 11 for $399 USD, then you can authorize for offline use just like always. That said, if every other subscription model is to be used as an example, even Reason+ subscribers will eventually be able to authorize for offline use.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

lowtom

27 Jan 2021

vertibration wrote:
27 Jan 2021
They should have waited till the end of the year when Hi Rez was available and other upgrades. Releasing it now just pisses people off because they likely dont see value in moving to a subscription model. Waiting until the end of the year when the updates were ready, offers a choice for people who would have to pay to upgrade to Reason 12 anyway (or now its Reason +)

This was a bad decision for Reason Studios to do the subscription right now, it would have been less of a backlash if they waited
This! Reason+ and Reason 12 upgrade announced together would be massive.
:reason: :refill: :re:

mytuba

27 Jan 2021

What a wonderful and hilarious read. Does no one here have a job? Are you all blind to the decisions people have had to make to actually keep human beings employed and happy doing their job?

I’m not a fan of spending time on the internet but I am a fan of making music. I am 100% excited for this. I will be cancelling Splice, which I struggle to integrate into my setup.

I’d like to hear some stories from you guys about how much you sacrifice your own way of life and employees to satisfy the demands of 12 people that have been loyal customers for 10 years.

chimp_spanner

27 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2021
chaosroyale wrote:
27 Jan 2021

The answer is YES. If you purchase a traditional "forever license" upgrade for $129 USD, of the full-version of Reason 11 for $399 USD, then you can authorize for offline use just like always. That said, if every other subscription model is to be used as an example, even Reason+ subscribers will eventually be able to authorize for offline use.
Yeah it's something James mentioned a few pages back - seems like so long ago :lol:

But yeah that a solution to offline use was something they were looking at for the near future. So I'm sure they'll work something out. If someone's *only* means of working is an R+ license then there does need to be something in place for when they're not connected. I have previously suggested that it's "weird" to think of anyone not being connected but, as of right now, my fibre connection has been down for 3 days and I have no idea when it's coming back. I'm only fortunate that I have enough data on my phone to tether, and a backup "mini hub" from my service provider which offers passable 4G. If I didn't have those (or had no reception), then no music making for me. It is a very important thing to consider, so hopefully that'll come soon!

EnochLight

27 Jan 2021

mytuba wrote:
27 Jan 2021
What a wonderful and hilarious read. Does no one here have a job? Are you all blind to the decisions people have had to make to actually keep human beings employed and happy doing their job?

I’m not a fan of spending time on the internet but I am a fan of making music. I am 100% excited for this. I will be cancelling Splice, which I struggle to integrate into my setup.

I’d like to hear some stories from you guys about how much you sacrifice your own way of life and employees to satisfy the demands of 12 people that have been loyal customers for 10 years.
Well, as a self-described "career lurker", at least you've had time to soak in all of the awesomeness. :D

vertibration

27 Jan 2021

lowtom wrote:
27 Jan 2021
vertibration wrote:
27 Jan 2021

This! Reason+ and Reason 12 upgrade announced together would be massive.
Yea, it would have been smarter to wait. Now its just kind of messy come the end of the year when their upgrade comes out.

• Information