Westworld Scoring Competition - Win every Spitfire Audio library

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!

stratatonic

05 Jul 2020

marcuswitt wrote:
04 Jul 2020
Bloma wrote:
02 Jun 2020
I've been working on this quite a lot over the last 2 weeks, and finally finished it (and it's the cutoff date today). I used Logic, but did a little processing in Reason. Also you should check out Spitfire audio's free LABS plugins, they're really really good.

https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDBuZR5aU24
Hi Bloma,

of all the entries that were posted here, I really found yours the best. You really understood the dynamics of the scene very well and accompanied it musically. The way in which you use the sounds very tastefully is also great. Respect! :thumbs_up:
Yes Bloma, great job! Nicely done! I like it! :) :thumbs_up:

Chizmata

07 Jul 2020

Bloma wrote:
02 Jun 2020
I've been working on this quite a lot over the last 2 weeks, and finally finished it (and it's the cutoff date today). I used Logic, but did a little processing in Reason. Also you should check out Spitfire audio's free LABS plugins, they're really really good.

for some reason ive listened to quite a lot of the entries, mainly on youtube, and this is actually my favourite of them all. it has proper sound quality (opposed to place 2-5 :?) and is the only one that catches the slower pacing of the scene right while still delivering the dramatic feeling. especially the top down car chase looked silly slow with other music. in some moments you did not actually catch but create the right feeling to a rather bland scene like 0:35 to 0:45 (while i find the sequence right after that until 1:40 a bit too expressive or maybe just too loud). its not perfect, but overall its really good. huge props! (even though im no film music expert at all).

Bloma

07 Jul 2020

Thanks very much Chizmata! Yeah, to be honest I'm not a huge fan of the scene, so I tried to give it something a bit different while still hopefully fitting.

Ethan_Music

12 Aug 2020

Personally, a mix of Paul Anstey's with his creepy piano loop rearing its head subtly in the background, and Frank DW's attention grabbing, hollow batting sample throughout his piece would work really well.

Nevertheless, everyones' was pretty good tbf, gained a lot of inspiration from all pieces.

madmacman

14 Aug 2020

I only loosely followed the contest. I don't know the series (never watched an episode), so is this a prerequisite to understand what actually happens in this scene? I understood the scene only after the winner entries were discussed and the protagonist seems to have a completely different perception of reality (by drugs?) than the others.

Without this background info, my entry would have been a miserable fail of understanding. And therefore, I have now a better understanding of what the winner tried to achieve.

tronam

31 Aug 2020

For anyone who thinks he was just trolling or making fun of the contest, I think it’s worth watching David Kudell’s own breakdown of how and why he scored it the way he did. He took it far more seriously than I think most people assumed.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

stratatonic

01 Sep 2020

DaveyG

01 Sep 2020

tronam wrote:
31 Aug 2020

For anyone who thinks he was just trolling or making fun of the contest, I think it’s worth watching David Kudell’s own breakdown of how and why he scored it the way he did. He took it far more seriously than I think most people assumed.
Well obviously he's not going to admit eating those dodgy mushrooms and then composing in the style of a plumber out of a video game. Like, duh! :lol:

tronam

01 Sep 2020

Just imagine how bored and sick to death the judges must’ve gotten after hearing 10,000 wannabe Hans Zimmer tracks and then BOOM... Kudell’s track must’ve been like mana from heaven.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

stratatonic

01 Sep 2020

tronam wrote:
01 Sep 2020
Just imagine how bored and sick to death the judges must’ve gotten after hearing 10,000 wannabe Hans Zimmer tracks and then BOOM... Kudell’s track must’ve been like mana from heaven.
Most of the entries from this thread were anything but Zimmeresque - (here, meaning brassy bombastic...)

The winning entry was just plain silly. "Genre change" ok, sure, but then the video should also have been 8 bit graphics as well. Then it actually works. But it didn't So it doesn't.
The composer says in his vid you posted, that he cut out the music to show impact to her comment, "No... ...it's not" when asked: That's not standard issue?...and then introduces the "really killer low guitar power chord" right after, to emphasize her Badassery.
So now the focus is on this Badass and not the genre shifter and yet the Badass Lady pounds the roof window to...8-bit blips sound effects. Head scratching... I just can't imagine this ever being used as actual Westworld music on that episode.

I actually think he scored everything quite well - except for the cartoonish bits. Doesn't matter in the end. He got noticed and there was a ton of publicity for all. And that's what the game is all about.

joeyluck

01 Sep 2020

stratatonic wrote:
01 Sep 2020
The winning entry was just plain silly. "Genre change" ok, sure, but then the video should also have been 8 bit graphics as well. Then it actually works. But it didn't So it doesn't.
The composer says in his vid you posted, that he cut out the music to show impact to her comment, "No... ...it's not" when asked: That's not standard issue?...and then introduces the "really killer low guitar power chord" right after, to emphasize her Badassery.
So now the focus is on this Badass and not the genre shifter and yet the Badass Lady pounds the roof window to...8-bit blips sound effects. Head scratching... I just can't imagine this ever being used as actual Westworld music on that episode.

I actually think he scored everything quite well - except for the cartoonish bits. Doesn't matter in the end. He got noticed and there was a ton of publicity for all. And that's what the game is all about.
As I mentioned, you've got the show's creators, executive producer, and composer who were judging. And as I pointed out in the first post, they said specifically they were looking for creativity. Of course, people can have different opinions about creativity. But from the very beginning I had the sense that they would be choosing something quite different and weren't going to be picking something as if theoretically choosing it to place in the show....they've heard all of that...they already have that.

PS I thought everything posted here was great! And I'm sure not everything had a fair listen.

stratatonic

04 Sep 2020

joeyluck wrote:
03 Sep 2020
Related because of the Hans Zimmer mention:
https://www.entertheworldofhanszimmer.com

This looks like fun too! You create a music video to one of the songs.
Waiting for the first joker to put 8 bit video game graphics set to Inception soundtrack...

• Information