Reason File Locations: a handy reference

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

24 Oct 2019

DISCLAIMER: this reference assumes you have accepted the default installation paths when installing Reason on your computer.

Browser Fast-Search Index file

Note: The file called "__ReasonIndex_v4.dat" is the browser's fast-search index "cache". Deleting this file will force Reason to re-index everything a build a new cache file (which can take a lot of time depending on your library size). Also note that the only places that are indexed are folders in user locations, not Favorites.
  • Windows: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Reason/Caches

Factory Sound Banks
  • macOS: /Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Soundbanks
  • Windows: %programdata%\Propellerhead Software\Soundbanks

Favorites
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Reason
  • Windows: %APPDATA%\Propellerhead Software\Reason

Graphics Cache
  • macOS: ~/Library/Caches/Reason/GraphicsCache
  • Windows: C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason\GraphicsCache

Logs
If there has been an ASSERT, the current logs should be copied to a folder on the Desktop.
  • macOS: ~/Library/Logs/Propellerhead Software/
    This folder is hidden by default
  • Windows: My Documents\Propellerhead Logs

Preferences
There are separate Preferences files for deployment and testing builds of Reason, called respectively:
*Reason Preferences
*Reason Preferences debug
On Windows, these have the file ending .prf
  • macOS: ~/Library/Preferences/Reason x Preferences
  • Windows: %APPDATA%\Propellerhead Software\Reason

Program Folder
  • macOS: User can set any folder, but typically Macintosh HD/Applications/
  • Windows: C:\Program Files\Propellerhead\

Rack Extensions
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/RackExtensions
  • Windows: %AppData%\Propellerhead Software\RackExtensions
    (C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\RackExtensions)

Remote
  • macOS: /Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Remote
  • C:\Program Files\Propellerhead\Reason Suite 11\Remote\DefaultMaps\
    ..or...
  • Windows: %ProgramData%\Propellerhead Software\Remote

Sound Packs (Reason+)
  • Windows: User_Folder/AppData/Roaming/PropellerheadSoftware/Packs
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Packs

Template Songs
  • macOS: ~/Music/Reason/Template Songs
  • Windows: This PC\Music\Reason\Template Songs

VST folders that Reason scans at launch
  • macOS:
    ~/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST
    Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST
    /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3
  • Windows:
    C:\Program Files\VSTplugins
    C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTplugins
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\

VST thumbnails / screenshots
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Reason/Plugin Screenshots
  • Windows: %AppData%\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

diminished
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2019

Sticky post candidate. Thanks.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

EpiGenetik

24 Oct 2019

A quick additional thing to note...

If you have bought Suite and wish to keep the old template songs, then they are available in the AppData folder on Windows. So if you were thinking about blitzing that folder then you might want to check that first.

Cheers
B

xboix

24 Oct 2019

Yep. Sticky this please.
Thanks EL.
(Do you ever wonder why things are spread across so many different folders in Windows?)

tiker01

24 Oct 2019

It has been a sticky since the first post :roll:

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

xboix

24 Oct 2019

tiker01 wrote:
24 Oct 2019
It has been a sticky since the first post :roll:
If you enter the forum each day via "new posts" there is absolutely no indication that a thread is sticky.

So you can have your somewhat patronising :roll: back.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2019

Great reference however you might want to update it to include the Reason suite e.g.

%APPDATA%\Propellerhead Software\Reason Suite
C:\Program Files\Propellerhead\Reason Suite 11

also this is wrong
%AppData%\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason
it should be
%LocalAppData%\Propellerhead Software\Reason
%LocalAppData%\Propellerhead Software\Reason Suite

Here are my upgrade notes

When you upgrade to Reason Suite it installs it to a new directory and you lose your existing Preferences, Folder setup(favorites browser view) and your Snapshot Icons for your VST’s. You can get this back.

For Windows:-
First copy all from
%AppData%\Propellerhead Software\Reason
to
%AppData%\Propellerhead Software\Reason Suite

Rename the file (example for Reason 10)
Reason 10 Preferences.prf
to
Reason Suite 11 Preferences.prf

For Snapshot Icons copy *.png from
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Propellerhead Software\Reason
to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Propellerhead Software\Reason Suite

For Mac:-
user/library/application support/propellerhead software/reason
to
user/library/application support/propellerhead software/reason Suite
The user (~) Library folder is hidden by default. To open it, press the Option key while opening the "Go" menu in Finder, then select "Library".

The PoohBear...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tips & Tutorial's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
PoohBears Reason Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2019

Thought this may be useful for those slightly obsessive users (like myself).

If you look in Reason under Preferences and then Advanced you can see a list of VST locations. Sometimes there are entries of folders there in RED which can't be deleted or removed. Well...here's how to do it.

Go to "C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\Reason"
There you will find a file called "Reason Plugin Folders". Delete that and start Reason...all the folders except the default one are gone Taaadaaaaa!!!! Now just add your VST locations again and get on with living :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ShelLuser

27 Oct 2019

Interesting post but some things don't add up...

You make it sound as if Windows users can't use a custom installation folder which isn't true. Mine is c:\program files\reason 10 for example.

The logs on Windows are located in %appdata%\Propellerhead Software\Reason\Logs. What you're describing are the authenticator logs, which involve the authentication process but not Reason itself.

The template location for Windows isn't necessarily wrong but it's also not something you can use in your file browser. A location which does work is this: %homepath%\music\Reason\Template Songs.

Fun fact: "music" will even work on localized versions of Windows because Windows basically translates this 'on the fly', which I think is a very impressive feature.
--- :reason:

EnochLight

27 Oct 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
27 Oct 2019
Interesting post but some things don't add up...

You make it sound as if Windows users can't use a custom installation folder which isn't true.
You misunderstand. Obviously the original post assumes you haven't changed anything from Reason's "default" paths. It's impossible to list every possible user customization. :shock:
ShelLuser wrote:
27 Oct 2019
The logs on Windows are located in %appdata%\Propellerhead Software\Reason\Logs. What you're describing are the authenticator logs, which involve the authentication process but not Reason itself.
No, what is described in the OP is the location for assert logs. This mostly pertains to beta testing, but these logs are also generated when running Reason's stable channel and are useful for troubleshooting with support. They are all in text format and users can interpret them also. They are also categorized via various things: Authorize logs, Reason Engine logs, Reason logs, etc.

What you are describing are Reason's minidump logs that are not in text format.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ShelLuser

27 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Oct 2019
You misunderstand. Obviously the original post assumes you haven't changed anything from Reason's "default" paths. It's impossible to list every possible user customization. :shock:
With the MacOS location it clearly says "User can set any folder", with the Windows section that comment is omitted. This can easily lead to newbie conclusions that you cannot set a default location on Windows. And it would make sense too considering that there is plenty of stuff which you can't customize in Reason (soundbank location, vst location, etc.).
EnochLight wrote:
27 Oct 2019
ShelLuser wrote:
27 Oct 2019
No, what is described in the OP is the location for assert logs. This mostly pertains to beta testing, but these logs are also generated when running Reason's stable channel and are useful for troubleshooting with support. They are all in text format and users can interpret them also. They are also categorized via various things: Authorize logs, Reason Engine logs, Reason logs, etc.
Odd, because the only thing I find in that location are authorizer logs, and nothing else. These weren't even generated by Reason but the authorizer app. And considering that there's also a Logs directory inside the Reason data directory right next to the template songs directory makes it kind of logical for me to assume that this would be the Reason log location. I suppose one way to find out is to get Reason to generate logs but I can't be bothered to try and find out how to do that ;)
EnochLight wrote:
27 Oct 2019
No I'm not:

logs.jpg
logs.jpg (110.71 KiB) Viewed 89711 times

EnochLight

27 Oct 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
27 Oct 2019
With the MacOS location it clearly says "User can set any folder", with the Windows section that comment is omitted. This can easily lead to newbie conclusions that you cannot set a default location on Windows. And it would make sense too considering that there is plenty of stuff which you can't customize in Reason (soundbank location, vst location, etc.).
First all: don't shoot the messenger. I was provided this list by Reason Studios themselves. ;) How would you propose the language is changed in the OP to satisfy your concerns?
ShelLuser wrote:
27 Oct 2019
Odd, because the only thing I find in that location are authorizer logs, and nothing else. These weren't even generated by Reason but the authorizer app. And considering that there's also a Logs directory inside the Reason data directory right next to the template songs directory makes it kind of logical for me to assume that this would be the Reason log location. I suppose one way to find out is to get Reason to generate logs but I can't be bothered to try and find out how to do that ;)
ShelLuser wrote:
27 Oct 2019
EnochLight wrote:
27 Oct 2019
No I'm not:

logs.jpg
logs.jpg (118.81 KiB) Viewed 89700 times
Interesting.

ShelLuser wrote:
27 Oct 2019
The logs on Windows are located in %appdata%\Propellerhead Software\Reason\Logs.
^^ That location leads to this according to my system:

your_instructions.JPG
your_instructions.JPG (230.49 KiB) Viewed 89700 times

Whereas the OP location (as provided by Reason Studios) leads to this:

OP_instructions.JPG
OP_instructions.JPG (156.19 KiB) Viewed 89700 times

ShelLuser

27 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Oct 2019
First all: don't shoot the messenger.
I'm not, I'm providing feedback in hopes to improve the information.

mrain

31 Dec 2019

I am struggling to work out all that has been said here on this thread.

I have two locations:
  • AppData > Local > Propellerhead Software
  • AppData > Roaming > Propellerhead Software
In the 'Local' folder - I have just 3 assets. They are:
  • File Folder containing cache / CMIF files
  • _PluginDatabase.dat
  • _ReFillNameCache.dat
In the 'Roaming' folder - I have more assets. They are:
  • File Folder called 'Logs'
  • _Reasondata (PICS Rules File)
  • Effects
  • Instruments
  • Locations
  • NotePlayers
  • Reason Suite 11 Preferences
  • Reason Suite Plugin Folders
  • Showcase Reason 10
  • Utilities
***** what should I be copying over to have all of my refills in place in the browser?

Thank you.

retreed
Competition Winner

12 May 2020

Optional Refills - Drum/Loop Supply (Reason 10 or higher)

macOS: ~/Music/Propellerhead Content/Optional Refills
Windows: This PC\Music\Propellerhead Content\Optional Refills

If you want to use the Drum and Loop Supply introduced with Reason 10, but do not want them to populate your browser menu with an own folder, you can just cut and paste them to the refill folder of your liking and use them as regular refills.

As soon as you move them to a different location, they will be removed from the browser menu as separate folders.

May I ask that someone double checks that the macOS (both file location and whether it does work?). I just tested Windows version.

provinceofnowhere

29 Jul 2020

Does anyone know the location of the Song Samples folder in R10 Mac? I have searched all Library locations but found nothing, even by searching for specific filenames.

EnochLight

29 Jul 2020

provinceofnowhere wrote:
29 Jul 2020
Does anyone know the location of the Song Samples folder in R10 Mac? I have searched all Library locations but found nothing, even by searching for specific filenames.
Any samples you add to your projects are saved in the actual song file (Assuming you’ve self-contained them). While it’s open, they’re plopped into a cache file located in your temp directory that you have set in Reason Preferences. You can’t access them, though. They’re encoded into the cache file.

provinceofnowhere

29 Jul 2020

EnochLight wrote:
29 Jul 2020
provinceofnowhere wrote:
29 Jul 2020
Any samples you add to your projects are saved in the actual song file (Assuming you’ve self-contained them). While it’s open, they’re plopped into a cache file located in your temp directory that you have set in Reason Preferences. You can’t access them, though. They’re encoded into the cache file.
Ah got it. Cheers for the info.

Billy+

29 Jul 2020

I think it would be nice if the refills all went into a "default" location when you sync from the shop.

Kilsane

04 Mar 2021

Pack
Windows: User_Folder/AppData/Roaming/PropellerheadSoftware/Packs

EnochLight

04 Mar 2021

Kilsane wrote:
04 Mar 2021
Pack
Thanks! Anyone know where the Mac OS version of this is located?

joeyluck

04 Mar 2021

EnochLight wrote:
04 Mar 2021
Kilsane wrote:
04 Mar 2021
Pack
Thanks! Anyone know where the Mac OS version of this is located?
~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Packs

EnochLight

05 Mar 2021

joeyluck wrote:
04 Mar 2021
~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Packs
Thanks; I just updated the OP! :thumbup:

Tweak

28 May 2021

Just bumping this thread with a personal thanks to Enochlight for putting this together. Joey kindly pointed me to this, and I was able to save my old remote devices setup by recovering my preferences through a time machine backup - thanks both of you!

EnochLight

28 May 2021

Tweak wrote:
28 May 2021
Just bumping this thread with a personal thanks to Enochlight for putting this together. Joey kindly pointed me to this, and I was able to save my old remote devices setup by recovering my preferences through a time machine backup - thanks both of you!
No worries; glad it helped! That said, this thread is pinned as a "sticky", so it will always be at the top. ;) :thumbup:

• Information