Closing RRP window - visual lag

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
bjmatt

Post 07 Jul 2022

Hi All!

I've bit the bullet and upgraded to v12 and noticed that the new rendering engine introduced a minor lag or delay when hiding the plugin. I have tested it in Studio One and Reaper, and the lag is present in both of them. Then I have tested with R11, there it closes immediately, no lag at all. During this "lag" both the host and the RRP gui is "frozen".

I have also tested with closing via host keycommands and the plugin window close button, but didn't make a difference.

This is a minor thing, it only affects the graphical rendering, audio playback is totally fine, I'm just curious if it is a known behavior or something on my side, maybe video card related. I'm using a Lenovo laptop with an AMD CPU and it's integrated graphics chip. The OS is Win10.

R12:

R11:

jam-s

Post 07 Jul 2022

I suppose this might come from the new GUI rendering using an opengl context which has to be closed properly to not leak resources. Perhaps they could implement the cleanup in a non-blocking way and just quickly move the window off-screen first so it does not block the view.

I think reporting this a a bug/regression would be a good thing to do.

bjmatt

Post 16 Jul 2022

Thanks for the response! I have reported it as bug.

I was hoping for a few responses here, to see if it's just my video card, or it's the same on every one elses configuration, but it is, what it is. For now I switched back to R11, I'd rather have a faster workflow, than Mimic/vector graphics/Combi2.

bjmatt

Post 11 Aug 2022

I've got a response today from support, and tried based on their suggestions updating my Radeon drivers and also disabling OpenGL in Reason via a preference file, but unfortunately they didn't make a difference.

It's still not a biggie, just a little inconvenient. On the other hand I have seen a few youtube videos where the same lag happened, so it's not just me, maybe it just doesn't bother others too much.

For example in the following video at 1:18:25

Jac459

Post 11 Aug 2022

Yeah, same here... It is maybe 1.5 seconds but still there. I have an nvidia card if it matters.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

• Information