Reason Studios updates their roadmap (November 17, 2021)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7430
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 22 Nov 2021

earwig83 wrote:
22 Nov 2021
The software is still usable because they haven't completely ruined the paradigm just yet and leaving is not a good solution at all. That's what I like to call "giving up and being a quitter". I'd rather fight for what's right and push for the right choices to be made, even if it means dealing with poor faith comments on these forums.
That's a good approach, especially if you've invested 20 years into Reason. :thumbup: :clap:
Win 10 | Abelton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Sumsung 870 QVO 2 TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

earwig83
Posts: 165
Joined: 21 Mar 2015

Post 22 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
22 Nov 2021
earwig83 wrote:
22 Nov 2021
The software is still usable because they haven't completely ruined the paradigm just yet and leaving is not a good solution at all. That's what I like to call "giving up and being a quitter". I'd rather fight for what's right and push for the right choices to be made, even if it means dealing with poor faith comments on these forums.
That's a good approach, especially if you've invested 20 years into Reason. :thumbup: :clap:
At the end of the day, my expressed frustrations are due to a profound love for this program. It's funny, because it was always a bit of a a slippery slope for me. When it came to choosing and staying with Reason, it was because I truly believed in a lot of Reason's usage paradigms and continue to believe in them strongly.

The driving force however is that Reason has always touted their backwards compatibility and that is something I really took as a serious value proposition as a long-term hobbyist with hundreds and hundreds of stems spanning years. The ability to always be able to open old files and continue right where I left off really is something special that very few other DAWS offer in any real parallel. I remember getting burned early on by cubase and immediately swore off big DAWs and took a shine to Reason. Despite the lack of wave editing at the time, there was still everything I needed to make electronic music and technically, there still is!

That has all now since slightly changed things with VST introductions but still, Reason manages to contain everything in a way that is really convenient and cool. I'm able to open songs from 20 years ago and nothing really changes, yet so much has been added!

But there is a caveat, it has trapped a large part of my musical explorations in a proprietary format that looks to be heading toward subscriptions and potentially other kinds of things I may not like. Who knows... such is life, but I can't simply just jump ship and not at least try to make a little bit of a stink with the others who are feeling disillusioned by Reason Studios two steps forward, one step back approach. I'm still hoping in between my complaints.

User avatar
mimidancer
Posts: 42
Joined: 30 Sep 2021

Post 23 Nov 2021

drun robots wrote:
17 Nov 2021
So... in this post
https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/road ... ct-officer
Mr. Erikson says: "It’s worth mentioning that, for most users Reason 12 works perfectly, but for others it’s causing real issues."

I disagree with "most users"... You see, I have run all the updates since R6 in a Windows system... and never had a major crash, minor bugs yes, but this is the first time I have bought an upgrade but don't use it. From running it a couple of times... I just cannot trust it for producing serious stuff.
I believe I am the average user... Windows11, Focusrite USB interface, 32Gb of RAM, i7@3.8GHz... and I use it just for music. In Portuguese we say "at first all fall, second the one who want it, third only who want to fall"... Luckly R11 is still a beast and can handle what I have in hands to finish.


I have no issues with 12 with crashes. I would love to see your audio preference settings. To see if we are set up the same. If you are game. post them to me here. or send me a message and I will give you my email or Twitter.

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 1890
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: Abajo del mar...

Post 23 Nov 2021

earwig83 wrote:
22 Nov 2021

At the end of the day, my expressed frustrations are due to a profound love for this program. It's funny, because it was always a bit of a a slippery slope for me. When it came to choosing and staying with Reason, it was because I truly believed in a lot of Reason's usage paradigms and continue to believe in them strongly.

The driving force however is that Reason has always touted their backwards compatibility and that is something I really took as a serious value proposition as a long-term hobbyist with hundreds and hundreds of stems spanning years. The ability to always be able to open old files and continue right where I left off really is something special that very few other DAWS offer in any real parallel. I remember getting burned early on by cubase and immediately swore off big DAWs and took a shine to Reason. Despite the lack of wave editing at the time, there was still everything I needed to make electronic music and technically, there still is!

That has all now since slightly changed things with VST introductions but still, Reason manages to contain everything in a way that is really convenient and cool. I'm able to open songs from 20 years ago and nothing really changes, yet so much has been added!

But there is a caveat, it has trapped a large part of my musical explorations in a proprietary format that looks to be heading toward subscriptions and potentially other kinds of things I may not like. Who knows... such is life, but I can't simply just jump ship and not at least try to make a little bit of a stink with the others who are feeling disillusioned by Reason Studios two steps forward, one step back approach. I'm still hoping in between my complaints.
My feelings exactly. I’m inclined to pull hard for what we all want out if Reason. To see it thrive etc. It’s worth the risk.

As for vst’s I’ll say I pick and choose and steer clear of small twitchy products because I don’t want to become dependant on sinking ships. Things like fab or izotope are a good bet for longevity I reckon.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial

Rakun
Posts: 11
Joined: 21 May 2016

Post 25 Nov 2021

I just upgraded to 12 from 11, since I got a nice discount from a Cyber deal on Thomann. I own the new 14 inch MB pro 10c/16c/16gb.

I have to say that DSP performance is pretty good through Rosetta, but a bit better trough AU in Logic (about 5% difference). Where it is not good, is the graphics handling, especially when using zoom, but I have to say, it is better than 11 on the M1 chips (I have both the M1 Air and the MB Pro). The interface starts stuttering very fast when loading 3 or more boxes, be it stand alone or plugin (especially when zoomed).

This is my favorite DAW. I've been with Reason since version 2 and I do appreciate all the updates it has received, while maintaining the legacy vibe. I especially like what they are doing with the combinator, but hope for more options. The Mimic sampler unfortunately fails in comparison to Logic's built in sampler, but reason has other things going for it.

Now, I am a patient person, and I do understand product development, especially for a long time running software, but from a personal point of view, I believe they should put more effort into: 1. fixing graphical bugs and performance for all platforms, 2. making it M1 native quicker then May, 3. an updated main sequencer. These three are on my personal "first" list, respectively. Technologies change, and they would have to adapt at some point, we are at that point now, so it will take a few versions for it to be as stable as before these resolution/engine changes were implemented. Hopefully it's by the end of version 12, but I wouldn't hold my breath, unless they have the means to employ more seasoned developers, who also happen to understand audio.

Just my 2 cents. BR, Raq

drun robots
Posts: 10
Joined: 07 Sep 2021

Post 25 Nov 2021

mimidancer wrote:
23 Nov 2021
drun robots wrote:
17 Nov 2021
So... in this post
https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/road ... ct-officer
Mr. Erikson says: "It’s worth mentioning that, for most users Reason 12 works perfectly, but for others it’s causing real issues."

I disagree with "most users"... You see, I have run all the updates since R6 in a Windows system... and never had a major crash, minor bugs yes, but this is the first time I have bought an upgrade but don't use it. From running it a couple of times... I just cannot trust it for producing serious stuff.
I believe I am the average user... Windows11, Focusrite USB interface, 32Gb of RAM, i7@3.8GHz... and I use it just for music. In Portuguese we say "at first all fall, second the one who want it, third only who want to fall"... Luckly R11 is still a beast and can handle what I have in hands to finish.


I have no issues with 12 with crashes. I would love to see your audio preference settings. To see if we are set up the same. If you are game. post them to me here. or send me a message and I will give you my email or Twitter.
Sure: Windows 10 (I falsely wrote Windows 11, because I have 2 systems for different things - the audio one is on windows 10). i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz with 32 Gb of RAM, SSD hard drive, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I set the Scarlett at 192 when recording, and at 1024 when I drop Ozone on the master bus. It is the same config I use in R11, the same VSTs, the same RE. Everything is updated each week just in case... The crash I had happened after dropping a RE on a channel - should be native! I still see a lot of visual bugs too, lines on the transport bar, colour lines between mixer channels, and other small things.

Now...honestly I have Reaper, and Live, but Reason is my instrument. So I keep on working in R11 and wait, and wait, for the updates to come and make it bulletproof, as Reason used to be. I am truly eager to use Combi2 without the fear of losing a good track. Cheers!
drunkrobots.bandcamp.com

User avatar
Greg Savage
Posts: 65
Joined: 02 Oct 2021

Post 28 Nov 2021

Thanks, shocked I missed this.
Music Composer/Sound Designer
Credits | Music Licensing |

michael.jaye
Posts: 241
Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post Today

Greg Savage wrote:
28 Nov 2021
Thanks, shocked I missed this.
What a balls-up. I literally got an email today from Reason Studios about their "November Roadmap". Even the release of the November Roadmap got delayed until 2nd December!

Btw I kniew about it from ReasonTalk the day it came out.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 7231
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post Today

michael.jaye wrote:
Today
Greg Savage wrote:
28 Nov 2021


Thanks, shocked I missed this.
What a balls-up. I literally got an email today from Reason Studios about their "November Roadmap". Even the release of the November Roadmap got delayed until 2nd December!

Btw I kniew about it from ReasonTalk the day it came out.
Yep link I got in an email yesterday took me to a blog entry from the 17th Nov.
丰2ॐ

Heater
Posts: 549
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post Today

Yep. I got the email too. It’s good they are informing us.

User avatar
Karim
Posts: 935
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Italy

Post Today

no news on the horizon. Strange that I got the exact same email with reference to November 17, 2021 :(
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2693
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post Today

I mentioned this on FB already but obviously it's a little disappointing to see DAW improvements scrubbed off the list, for now. I'm not being doom and gloom about it. Given how many other, higher priority things they have to do (like addressing performance, bugs and crashes) I appreciate that it makes sense to keep the focus narrow for now. But at the same time I am getting that feeling that I might be more into their DAW than they are :lol: which would be a shame if true. I've been streaming R12 a bunch lately and everyone who sees it is really impressed and intrigued. But I just don't know to what extent to recommend people go try it out as a DAW. I can (and do) use it in RRP mode in Cubase and it's great. But I just can't work as fast in Cubase. No blocks. Automation sucks. Audio pauses when I add/remove instruments/effects. No pattern device integration. No inter-device modulation (without MIDI routing). Etc. etc.

To be clear, I'm getting a lot of work done in R12. Some of my best so far, in my own humble(?) opinion. So I'm pretty happy, but with a weird mix of excitement as to what we might see and disappointment as to what we probably won't. Either way I'll keep flying the flag AND beating the drum. Because I can do both at the same time. Multi tasking :lol:

Side note: I wonder how much Monterey and M1 is adding to developer workloads? Maybe I should include Win11 in there also but I dunno. I feel like Windows updates are never quite so disruptive as Apple's. I mean I know people who have dropped 5k+ on M1 Macbooks and can't run Kontakt because of CPU overloads and literally all they can do is wait for a fix. And that's NI. So, I dunno.

User avatar
StephenHutchinson
Posts: 178
Joined: 27 Sep 2019

Post Today

MrFigg wrote:
Today
michael.jaye wrote:
Today


What a balls-up. I literally got an email today from Reason Studios about their "November Roadmap". Even the release of the November Roadmap got delayed until 2nd December!

Btw I kniew about it from ReasonTalk the day it came out.
Yep link I got in an email yesterday took me to a blog entry from the 17th Nov.
Ditto. It kind of threw me for a loop at first, but then I remember all the Sound Pack emails arriving weeks after I've installed the pack in question. Maybe the systems are slow? I don't know.
:reason: Reason+ - (Reason user since v.1.0)
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

michael.jaye
Posts: 241
Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post Today

StephenHutchinson wrote:
Today
Ditto. It kind of threw me for a loop at first, but then I remember all the Sound Pack emails arriving weeks after I've installed the pack in question. Maybe the systems are slow? I don't know.
Maybe the SDK for their mail servers has too many limitations? :)

Steedus
Posts: 626
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Melbourne, AU

Post Today

I don't know, I appreciated the email - even if late - because I somehow missed this update until now. Sounds like it might be another 9 months at least before they're back "on track" completely after the 12 update. That's fine with me really. Take the time to get things in order, then get back to looking at new features. I'm guessing looking into an expansion to the zoom functionality to behave more like what I think the majority of people expected (dynamic separate rack zoom etc) will likely (sadly) be pushed well into 2023.

michael.jaye
Posts: 241
Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post 20 minutes ago

In the year of our lord 2021, there is no reason an email can't be sent *instantly*, say for example, as soon as the blog was posted.

Really looks unprofessional.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], eusti and 16 guests