Reason Studios updates their roadmap (November 17, 2021)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
earwig83

22 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
22 Nov 2021
earwig83 wrote:
22 Nov 2021
The software is still usable because they haven't completely ruined the paradigm just yet and leaving is not a good solution at all. That's what I like to call "giving up and being a quitter". I'd rather fight for what's right and push for the right choices to be made, even if it means dealing with poor faith comments on these forums.
That's a good approach, especially if you've invested 20 years into Reason. :thumbup: :clap:
At the end of the day, my expressed frustrations are due to a profound love for this program. It's funny, because it was always a bit of a a slippery slope for me. When it came to choosing and staying with Reason, it was because I truly believed in a lot of Reason's usage paradigms and continue to believe in them strongly.

The driving force however is that Reason has always touted their backwards compatibility and that is something I really took as a serious value proposition as a long-term hobbyist with hundreds and hundreds of stems spanning years. The ability to always be able to open old files and continue right where I left off really is something special that very few other DAWS offer in any real parallel. I remember getting burned early on by cubase and immediately swore off big DAWs and took a shine to Reason. Despite the lack of wave editing at the time, there was still everything I needed to make electronic music and technically, there still is!

That has all now since slightly changed things with VST introductions but still, Reason manages to contain everything in a way that is really convenient and cool. I'm able to open songs from 20 years ago and nothing really changes, yet so much has been added!

But there is a caveat, it has trapped a large part of my musical explorations in a proprietary format that looks to be heading toward subscriptions and potentially other kinds of things I may not like. Who knows... such is life, but I can't simply just jump ship and not at least try to make a little bit of a stink with the others who are feeling disillusioned by Reason Studios two steps forward, one step back approach. I'm still hoping in between my complaints.

mimidancer

23 Nov 2021

drun robots wrote:
17 Nov 2021
So... in this post
https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/road ... ct-officer
Mr. Erikson says: "It’s worth mentioning that, for most users Reason 12 works perfectly, but for others it’s causing real issues."

I disagree with "most users"... You see, I have run all the updates since R6 in a Windows system... and never had a major crash, minor bugs yes, but this is the first time I have bought an upgrade but don't use it. From running it a couple of times... I just cannot trust it for producing serious stuff.
I believe I am the average user... Windows11, Focusrite USB interface, 32Gb of RAM, i7@3.8GHz... and I use it just for music. In Portuguese we say "at first all fall, second the one who want it, third only who want to fall"... Luckly R11 is still a beast and can handle what I have in hands to finish.

I have no issues with 12 with crashes. I would love to see your audio preference settings. To see if we are set up the same. If you are game. post them to me here. or send me a message and I will give you my email or Twitter.

plaamook

23 Nov 2021

earwig83 wrote:
22 Nov 2021

At the end of the day, my expressed frustrations are due to a profound love for this program. It's funny, because it was always a bit of a a slippery slope for me. When it came to choosing and staying with Reason, it was because I truly believed in a lot of Reason's usage paradigms and continue to believe in them strongly.

The driving force however is that Reason has always touted their backwards compatibility and that is something I really took as a serious value proposition as a long-term hobbyist with hundreds and hundreds of stems spanning years. The ability to always be able to open old files and continue right where I left off really is something special that very few other DAWS offer in any real parallel. I remember getting burned early on by cubase and immediately swore off big DAWs and took a shine to Reason. Despite the lack of wave editing at the time, there was still everything I needed to make electronic music and technically, there still is!

That has all now since slightly changed things with VST introductions but still, Reason manages to contain everything in a way that is really convenient and cool. I'm able to open songs from 20 years ago and nothing really changes, yet so much has been added!

But there is a caveat, it has trapped a large part of my musical explorations in a proprietary format that looks to be heading toward subscriptions and potentially other kinds of things I may not like. Who knows... such is life, but I can't simply just jump ship and not at least try to make a little bit of a stink with the others who are feeling disillusioned by Reason Studios two steps forward, one step back approach. I'm still hoping in between my complaints.
My feelings exactly. I’m inclined to pull hard for what we all want out if Reason. To see it thrive etc. It’s worth the risk.

As for vst’s I’ll say I pick and choose and steer clear of small twitchy products because I don’t want to become dependant on sinking ships. Things like fab or izotope are a good bet for longevity I reckon.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Rakun

25 Nov 2021

I just upgraded to 12 from 11, since I got a nice discount from a Cyber deal on Thomann. I own the new 14 inch MB pro 10c/16c/16gb.

I have to say that DSP performance is pretty good through Rosetta, but a bit better trough AU in Logic (about 5% difference). Where it is not good, is the graphics handling, especially when using zoom, but I have to say, it is better than 11 on the M1 chips (I have both the M1 Air and the MB Pro). The interface starts stuttering very fast when loading 3 or more boxes, be it stand alone or plugin (especially when zoomed).

This is my favorite DAW. I've been with Reason since version 2 and I do appreciate all the updates it has received, while maintaining the legacy vibe. I especially like what they are doing with the combinator, but hope for more options. The Mimic sampler unfortunately fails in comparison to Logic's built in sampler, but reason has other things going for it.

Now, I am a patient person, and I do understand product development, especially for a long time running software, but from a personal point of view, I believe they should put more effort into: 1. fixing graphical bugs and performance for all platforms, 2. making it M1 native quicker then May, 3. an updated main sequencer. These three are on my personal "first" list, respectively. Technologies change, and they would have to adapt at some point, we are at that point now, so it will take a few versions for it to be as stable as before these resolution/engine changes were implemented. Hopefully it's by the end of version 12, but I wouldn't hold my breath, unless they have the means to employ more seasoned developers, who also happen to understand audio.

Just my 2 cents. BR, Raq

drun robots

25 Nov 2021

mimidancer wrote:
23 Nov 2021
drun robots wrote:
17 Nov 2021
So... in this post
https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/road ... ct-officer
Mr. Erikson says: "It’s worth mentioning that, for most users Reason 12 works perfectly, but for others it’s causing real issues."

I disagree with "most users"... You see, I have run all the updates since R6 in a Windows system... and never had a major crash, minor bugs yes, but this is the first time I have bought an upgrade but don't use it. From running it a couple of times... I just cannot trust it for producing serious stuff.
I believe I am the average user... Windows11, Focusrite USB interface, 32Gb of RAM, i7@3.8GHz... and I use it just for music. In Portuguese we say "at first all fall, second the one who want it, third only who want to fall"... Luckly R11 is still a beast and can handle what I have in hands to finish.

I have no issues with 12 with crashes. I would love to see your audio preference settings. To see if we are set up the same. If you are game. post them to me here. or send me a message and I will give you my email or Twitter.
Sure: Windows 10 (I falsely wrote Windows 11, because I have 2 systems for different things - the audio one is on windows 10). i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz with 32 Gb of RAM, SSD hard drive, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I set the Scarlett at 192 when recording, and at 1024 when I drop Ozone on the master bus. It is the same config I use in R11, the same VSTs, the same RE. Everything is updated each week just in case... The crash I had happened after dropping a RE on a channel - should be native! I still see a lot of visual bugs too, lines on the transport bar, colour lines between mixer channels, and other small things.

Now...honestly I have Reaper, and Live, but Reason is my instrument. So I keep on working in R11 and wait, and wait, for the updates to come and make it bulletproof, as Reason used to be. I am truly eager to use Combi2 without the fear of losing a good track. Cheers!
drunkrobots.bandcamp.com

Greg Savage

28 Nov 2021

Thanks, shocked I missed this.
Music Composer/Sound Designer
Music Licensing - Credits

michael.jaye

02 Dec 2021

Greg Savage wrote:
28 Nov 2021
What a balls-up. I literally got an email today from Reason Studios about their "November Roadmap". Even the release of the November Roadmap got delayed until 2nd December!

Btw I kniew about it from ReasonTalk the day it came out.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Dec 2021

michael.jaye wrote:
02 Dec 2021
Greg Savage wrote:
28 Nov 2021

What a balls-up. I literally got an email today from Reason Studios about their "November Roadmap". Even the release of the November Roadmap got delayed until 2nd December!

Yep link I got in an email yesterday took me to a blog entry from the 17th Nov.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Heater

02 Dec 2021

Yep. I got the email too. It’s good they are informing us.

Karim
Competition Winner

02 Dec 2021

no news on the horizon. Strange that I got the exact same email with reference to November 17, 2021 :(
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

chimp_spanner

02 Dec 2021

I mentioned this on FB already but obviously it's a little disappointing to see DAW improvements scrubbed off the list, for now. I'm not being doom and gloom about it. Given how many other, higher priority things they have to do (like addressing performance, bugs and crashes) I appreciate that it makes sense to keep the focus narrow for now. But at the same time I am getting that feeling that I might be more into their DAW than they are :lol: which would be a shame if true. I've been streaming R12 a bunch lately and everyone who sees it is really impressed and intrigued. But I just don't know to what extent to recommend people go try it out as a DAW. I can (and do) use it in RRP mode in Cubase and it's great. But I just can't work as fast in Cubase. No blocks. Automation sucks. Audio pauses when I add/remove instruments/effects. No pattern device integration. No inter-device modulation (without MIDI routing). Etc. etc.

To be clear, I'm getting a lot of work done in R12. Some of my best so far, in my own humble(?) opinion. So I'm pretty happy, but with a weird mix of excitement as to what we might see and disappointment as to what we probably won't. Either way I'll keep flying the flag AND beating the drum. Because I can do both at the same time. Multi tasking :lol:

Side note: I wonder how much Monterey and M1 is adding to developer workloads? Maybe I should include Win11 in there also but I dunno. I feel like Windows updates are never quite so disruptive as Apple's. I mean I know people who have dropped 5k+ on M1 Macbooks and can't run Kontakt because of CPU overloads and literally all they can do is wait for a fix. And that's NI. So, I dunno.

StephenHutchinson

02 Dec 2021

MrFigg wrote:
02 Dec 2021
michael.jaye wrote:
02 Dec 2021

Yep link I got in an email yesterday took me to a blog entry from the 17th Nov.
Ditto. It kind of threw me for a loop at first, but then I remember all the Sound Pack emails arriving weeks after I've installed the pack in question. Maybe the systems are slow? I don't know.
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

michael.jaye

02 Dec 2021

StephenHutchinson wrote:
02 Dec 2021
Ditto. It kind of threw me for a loop at first, but then I remember all the Sound Pack emails arriving weeks after I've installed the pack in question. Maybe the systems are slow? I don't know.
Maybe the SDK for their mail servers has too many limitations? :)

Steedus
Competition Winner

02 Dec 2021

I don't know, I appreciated the email - even if late - because I somehow missed this update until now. Sounds like it might be another 9 months at least before they're back "on track" completely after the 12 update. That's fine with me really. Take the time to get things in order, then get back to looking at new features. I'm guessing looking into an expansion to the zoom functionality to behave more like what I think the majority of people expected (dynamic separate rack zoom etc) will likely (sadly) be pushed well into 2023.

michael.jaye

02 Dec 2021

In the year of our lord 2021, there is no reason an email can't be sent *instantly*, say for example, as soon as the blog was posted.

Really looks unprofessional.

StephenHutchinson

03 Dec 2021

michael.jaye wrote:
02 Dec 2021
StephenHutchinson wrote:
02 Dec 2021
Maybe the SDK for their mail servers has too many limitations? :)
Perhaps indeed... ;) I was downloading a Reason 12 update the other day, and I kid you not, it took almost 10 hours to download. My internet is super high speed and SpeedTest showed 482 Mbps download and 482 Mbps upload. Very messed up "limitations" I'm afraid.
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

jamespember
Reason Studios

03 Dec 2021

michael.jaye wrote:
02 Dec 2021
In the year of our lord 2021, there is no reason an email can't be sent *instantly*, say for example, as soon as the blog was posted.

We are obviously aware we could've sent the email out at the same time as the blog post. However, we chose to put the email out to coincide with the Q&A that went out on Instagram at the same time. So users could ask questions of David just after having read the email. The reason this happened after the original blog post posting is that we didn't want to do the Instagram Q&A in the middle of all the Black Friday Week noise.

Billy+

03 Dec 2021

jamespember wrote:
03 Dec 2021
michael.jaye wrote:
02 Dec 2021

We are obviously aware we could've sent the email out at the same time as the blog post. However, we chose to put the email out to coincide with the Q&A that went out on Instagram at the same time. So users could ask questions of David just after having read the email. The reason this happened after the original blog post posting is that we didn't want to do the Instagram Q&A in the middle of all the Black Friday Week noise.
You need to stop hangin out with them hipsters and let us old fu**ers who ignore facebook twitter instgram tiktok blah blah blah knows what's happening via the normal channels.. :lol:

jamespember
Reason Studios

03 Dec 2021

Billy+ wrote:
03 Dec 2021
jamespember wrote:
03 Dec 2021

You need to stop hangin out with them hipsters and let us old fu**ers who ignore facebook twitter instgram tiktok blah blah blah knows what's happening via the normal channels.. :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Loque

03 Dec 2021

Billy+ wrote:
03 Dec 2021
jamespember wrote:
03 Dec 2021

1f487235b9793012970725edff92b3db.gif
1f487235b9793012970725edff92b3db.gif (920.38 KiB) Viewed 17787 times
Reason12, Win10

Billy+

03 Dec 2021

Loque wrote:
03 Dec 2021
Billy+ wrote:
03 Dec 2021

Seriously this is the second time you've posted the same gif in response to me, I'm sure that you have a point but I don't speak gif......

Are you doing your happy dance because you agree with my point or do you need worming but don't know how to ask for assistance?

Loque

03 Dec 2021

Billy+ wrote:
03 Dec 2021
Loque wrote:
03 Dec 2021

Seriously this is the second time you've posted the same gif in response to me, I'm sure that you have a point but I don't speak gif......

Are you doing your happy dance because you agree with my point or do you need worming but don't know how to ask for assistance?
You must be really old if yoú do not know the dance on the gif :lol:
Reason12, Win10

Billy+

03 Dec 2021

Loque wrote:
03 Dec 2021
Billy+ wrote:
03 Dec 2021

Well my grandson isn't quite able to get it right if that helps approximate my age but either way I'm sure you could use some words sonny boy :lol:

jam-s

03 Dec 2021

Loque wrote:
03 Dec 2021
Billy+ wrote:
03 Dec 2021

Oh, I see... a man of culture. Well flossed, Sir. :lol:

EnochLight

04 Dec 2021

Loque wrote:
03 Dec 2021
Billy+ wrote:
03 Dec 2021
Well my grandson..
:lol: :clap:

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information