Reason High Resolution Graphics: Join the Testing Team!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
guitfnky

18 Apr 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
18 Apr 2021
This is just speculation from my part, but would it be so crazy to think that the beta version actually holds more features? Maybe even all Reason 12 features, but they're hidden and impossible to use for us, though they are there and the testing helps them see if those new features break compatibility with the old features?

🤷‍♂️
I think it's entirely possible--happens a lot in game development. people snooping through the game files and assets run across stuff for upcoming releases. I think usually those are for games that are already released though, so there's no NDA keeping them from sharing what they find with the rest of the world.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

SalvadorDeluxe

18 Apr 2021

guitfnky wrote:
18 Apr 2021
SebAudio wrote:
18 Apr 2021

Speculation ? Reason with an HD graphics rack is just that : the same devices with crisp graphics instead of blurry ones. I’d have understood if it was new features…
that's exactly my point--there are people who think the high-res graphics beta is a disappointment, because they've only seen the part they're testing. like, okay, cool, it doesn't have xyz-related feature now, but it's a beta. basing our disappointment on an unfinished piece of software would be kinda dumb.

it's like if my car dealer sent me new tires to test for the next model and being upset that my brakes still suck.
Judging the beta strictly on its hi-res features and nothing else, it's a very disappointing implementation. Go get it and see for yourself.
Nintendo 64 // Minesweeper // Rotary Telephones

Steedus
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2021

ryanharlin wrote:
18 Apr 2021
2.) Those wood panels won't be in the program. They're the actual wood panels from my own rack of outboard gear. I took a photo of them to composite them into the shot for the focus adjust gag because the actual wood panel graphics weren't ready yet when I was making this video.
All good, but yeah they look great. I'm still crossing fingers the wood panels get a bit of a fresh look somehow. They're looking a bit stale to me after staring at them for 10+ years ;)

Creativemind

18 Apr 2021

ryanharlin wrote:
18 Apr 2021
Steedus wrote:
17 Apr 2021
I love the fact they're poking fun at themselves slightly when Ryan says "huh .. wonder how long that's been out of focus?" This was purely aimed at the current fans who have been calling it out for years. :clap:

Btw I hope those new wood panel side pieces are in the final version.
1.) I was 100% poking fun at us and it was 100% aimed at fans who have been calling it out (myself included) for years. If you can't laugh at yourself...

2.) Those wood panels won't be in the program. They're the actual wood panels from my own rack of outboard gear. I took a photo of them to composite them into the shot for the focus adjust gag because the actual wood panel graphics weren't ready yet when I was making this video.
So are Reasons rack panels getting sanded and revarnished Ryan? 😂
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

guitfnky

18 Apr 2021

SalvadorDeluxe wrote:
18 Apr 2021
guitfnky wrote:
18 Apr 2021

that's exactly my point--there are people who think the high-res graphics beta is a disappointment, because they've only seen the part they're testing. like, okay, cool, it doesn't have xyz-related feature now, but it's a beta. basing our disappointment on an unfinished piece of software would be kinda dumb.

it's like if my car dealer sent me new tires to test for the next model and being upset that my brakes still suck.
Judging the beta strictly on its hi-res features and nothing else, it's a very disappointing implementation. Go get it and see for yourself.
what features? you’re literally testing the only feature in the beta. 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

why do you think I don’t have much interest in beta testing?

SalvadorDeluxe

18 Apr 2021

guitfnky wrote:
18 Apr 2021
SalvadorDeluxe wrote:
18 Apr 2021

In my opinion, the hi-res has its own feature set, and more importantly, it can be seen what it *doesn't* do.

And you can say "well, it's just the beta, not necessarily what will be released". I've participated in Reason's betas before, and we've tested exactly what was eventually released. There is no reason to believe that this is not the finished version (aside from bug fixes).

guitfnky

18 Apr 2021

SalvadorDeluxe wrote:
18 Apr 2021
guitfnky wrote:
18 Apr 2021

In my opinion, the hi-res has its own feature set, and more importantly, it can be seen what it *doesn't* do.

And you can say "well, it's just the beta, not necessarily what will be released". I've participated in Reason's betas before, and we've tested exactly what was eventually released. There is no reason to believe that this is not the finished version (aside from bug fixes).
opinions don’t count for much, unfortunately.

and there’s every reason to believe it’s not the finished version. because 1: it’s a beta. 2: the high res update is coming with Reason 12. 3: it’s not a beta for Reason 12, it’s for a single feature. there’s literally no rational reason that what’s in the beta test for a single feature would represent the full release in any meaningful way.

it doesn’t matter how they’ve run prior betas. that’s the fun thing about developing software—different changes require different approaches.

SalvadorDeluxe

18 Apr 2021

guitfnky wrote:
18 Apr 2021
SalvadorDeluxe wrote:
18 Apr 2021

and there’s every reason to believe it’s not the finished version. because 1: it’s a beta. 2: the high res update is coming with Reason 12. 3: it’s not a beta for Reason 12, it’s for a single feature. there’s literally no rational reason that what’s in the beta test for a single feature would represent the full release in any meaningful way.

it doesn’t matter how they’ve run prior betas. that’s the fun thing about developing software—different changes require different approaches.
Hasn't RS said hi-res will be released for 11? Why would they be getting us to test something that won't be released?

Of course 12 is coming and hi-res may be more fully realized at that point. But what about 11 users that have been waiting a long time for this super basic feature? The beta is what they're getting.

guitfnky

18 Apr 2021

SalvadorDeluxe wrote:
18 Apr 2021
guitfnky wrote:
18 Apr 2021

Hasn't RS said hi-res will be released for 11? Why would they be getting us to test something that won't be released?

Of course 12 is coming and hi-res may be more fully realized at that point. But what about 11 users that have been waiting a long time for this super basic feature? The beta is what they're getting.
they never said high res would come in an 11.x point release. they have said at least once that it’s coming with v12.

SalvadorDeluxe

18 Apr 2021

guitfnky wrote:
18 Apr 2021
SalvadorDeluxe wrote:
18 Apr 2021

they never said high res would come in an 11.x point release. they have said at least once that it’s coming with v12.
My bad, I just re-read. It's for 12.

tiker01

19 Apr 2021

guitfnky wrote:
18 Apr 2021
SalvadorDeluxe wrote:
18 Apr 2021

This is not a Beta but an Alpha and nowhere you can read that this THE beta of R12. Actually, Ryan from RS highlighted that it is not that!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

SalvadorDeluxe

19 Apr 2021

A compilation of RS comments from the YT video on hi-res beta... what does it all mean?

====================
03.png
03.png (24.25 KiB) Viewed 4101 times
01.png
01.png (39.37 KiB) Viewed 4101 times
02.png
02.png (28.25 KiB) Viewed 4101 times

guitfnky

19 Apr 2021

tiker01 wrote:
19 Apr 2021
guitfnky wrote:
18 Apr 2021

This is not a Beta but an Alpha and nowhere you can read that this THE beta of R12. Actually, Ryan from RS highlighted that it is not that!
exactly!

Ottostrom

19 Apr 2021

SalvadorDeluxe wrote:
19 Apr 2021
A compilation of RS comments from the YT video on hi-res beta... what does it all mean?
What do you mean? All the info is right there in the comments.
The high-res beta is available for both Reason 11 and Reason+ users. There's literally nothing more to it

guitfnky

19 Apr 2021

SalvadorDeluxe wrote:
19 Apr 2021

====================
03.png

01.png

02.png
it means what it says. the beta is available if you have Reason 11 or Reason+. 🤷🏻‍♂️

WasteLand

21 Apr 2021

a beta test program with NDA seems a bit backwards, or more.. cubase does it also...

ableton, not, it has made ableton a better DAW.

even Native Instruments Maschine isn't NDA anymore, or i am wrong?

o well. this is more an alpha testing, and about Hi-Res, owners of 4K monitors aren't a lot, yet. so scaling seems to me, for instruments, thé way, scaling of the Rack itself for example. and vst3, and MPE/midi 2.0.

cubase you can sometimes or more challenge there update policy, new features, that are also cosmetic, where introduced in 9.5 and only in version 11 it is almost finished, of course more has come to cubase pro 11, but still. it is like strategy. some updates are worth it, but sometimes you pay for updates, that are meant for minor version updates.

o well, listening to customers, users! isn't always the strongest point of some companies.

and yes you cán be critical about a product you like and use a lot. because that is the purpose, to make it better.

of a company does not care about it, it must rethink it's policies.
Win 10 Pro. R11 suite + R12. Nektar Panorama p1. Ryzen 9 5900X. Cubase Pro 11, Bitwig Studio 4.4, Reaper 6.68, Ableton Live 11 Suite. RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface.

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

https://soundcloud.com/user-873737123

guitfnky

21 Apr 2021

WasteLand wrote:
21 Apr 2021
a beta test program with NDA seems a bit backwards, or more.. cubase does it also...

ableton, not, it has made ableton a better DAW.

even Native Instruments Maschine isn't NDA anymore, or i am wrong?

o well. this is more an alpha testing, and about Hi-Res, owners of 4K monitors aren't a lot, yet. so scaling seems to me, for instruments, thé way, scaling of the Rack itself for example. and vst3, and MPE/midi 2.0.

cubase you can sometimes or more challenge there update policy, new features, that are also cosmetic, where introduced in 9.5 and only in version 11 it is almost finished, of course more has come to cubase pro 11, but still. it is like strategy. some updates are worth it, but sometimes you pay for updates, that are meant for minor version updates.

o well, listening to customers, users! isn't always the strongest point of some companies.

and yes you cán be critical about a product you like and use a lot. because that is the purpose, to make it better.

of a company does not care about it, it must rethink it's policies.
I think the difference for whether or not an NDA is involved comes down to whether it’s a closed or open beta.

your point about being critical of something you use gets lost here, pretty often. there are a lot of excuse makers and apologists who think we should pipe down, and enjoy Reason for what it is currently—but they’ll benefit from the improvements we’re pushing for, too.

Last Alternative

23 Apr 2021

Awesome! Does this mean the iMac bugs will be fixed and I won't have to use Reason in low res mode in order to lower the problems?
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

joeyluck

23 Apr 2021

Last Alternative wrote:
23 Apr 2021
Awesome! Does this mean the iMac bugs will be fixed and I won't have to use Reason in low res mode in order to lower the problems?
That should fix it for you. Sign up for the beta and give it a try!

altron

25 Apr 2021

Hi-res UI is definitely welcome!

Besides that it would be great if we could alphabetically sort fav lists. And better patch management. (I'm modest, I know).
Trap is where music goes to die.

topperf

07 May 2021

I really hope that the Matrix Pattern Seq is being overhauled. I love that thing. I'm guessing it has to be all units right?!

guitfnky

07 May 2021

topperf wrote:
07 May 2021
I really hope that the Matrix Pattern Seq is being overhauled. I love that thing. I'm guessing it has to be all units right?!
the UI will be, but I doubt that means any updated functionality, if that’s what you mean.

altron

07 May 2021

guitfnky wrote:
07 May 2021
topperf wrote:
07 May 2021
the UI will be, but I doubt that means any updated functionality, if that’s what you mean.
I think he meant if all the standard- and third-party REs will be HD-updated. Without knowing the exact details I would expect yes, otherwise there isn't all that much that is HD-updated. I think I remember that RE UI graphics are provided as textured 3D mesh data and are pre-rendered on RS server side after RE submission so they have the capability to HD all the stuff.

I haven't tested the beta. It would be interesting to know if the UI can be upscaled, like 200% or 400% the size of it's current resolution. Anyone can give an info on that?
Trap is where music goes to die.

DaveyG

07 May 2021

altron wrote:
07 May 2021

I haven't tested the beta. It would be interesting to know if the UI can be upscaled, like 200% or 400% the size of it's current resolution. Anyone can give an info on that?
Anyone on the Beta knows but is not allowed to discuss it.

PhillipOrdonez

07 May 2021

altron wrote:
07 May 2021
guitfnky wrote:
07 May 2021

I think he meant if all the standard- and third-party REs will be HD-updated. Without knowing the exact details I would expect yes, otherwise there isn't all that much that is HD-updated. I think I remember that RE UI graphics are provided as textured 3D mesh data and are pre-rendered on RS server side after RE submission so they have the capability to HD all the stuff.

Join the beta to find out!

• Information