Reason 13 has arrived: Release Notes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Carpainter

18 Jun 2024

Faastwalker wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Wow! Initial impressions of Polytone are UTTERLY underwhelming. After being completely blown away by Objekt, in comparison, Polytone feels a bit like Subtractor with a crossfader. Anyway, early days.
I've been A/B'ing Polytone with Diva running a similar dual-osc setup and the results are...meh. It just doesn't feel like an instrument that had a lot of work put into it.

Odin2 is a more worthy follow-up to Thor, and it's a free VST.

Pepin

18 Jun 2024

aquil wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Pepin wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Players (the closest we have to midi routing in the rack) are not multi-channel aware and only send note data to a single device directly below them.
Nobody meant that all MIDI features should be implemented immediately so that the full spectrum of a VST MIDI plugin is usable. Honestly, it would be enough for me if I could use, for example, BlueArp as a pure "note trigger". I'd prefer some support for VST MIDI plugins, even if limited, rather than none at all.
Okay, I just feel differently, because these features (the ones Players don't have) are a big part of why I'd use a VST rather than a Player in the first place. Ultimately, I think it was a mistake to trap each VST behind Remote. Controller manufacturers are not writing Remote Maps for VSTs, and many plugins have MIDI learn features that would be much easier and full featured than writing remote maps ourselves if Reason could simply send MIDI straight to them. I'd rather RS rethink how MIDI is routed to VSTs in general rather than just add a Player-like VST wrapper and call it a day.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

18 Jun 2024

dusan.cani wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Also browser window doesn't remember placement and its size after resizing it. It always gets the default placement and size after Reason launch. I don't want to have browser with its default placement and size, because it ruins my previous workflow where I had narrow list of patches on the side of the screen so I could comfortably see the devices while browsing the patches. It can be partially "emulated" with floating browser, but if the browser doesn't remember its placement and size, it's useless.

And regarding the edit mode, I can't find a way how to preserve the custom zoom for clips in edit mode. If I exit edit mode and reenter the clip editing again, the zoom is always lost because the clip zoom is automatically set to fit the screen.
The browser window position and size is saved per song rather than as a global preference. If you like it a certain way in all songs, you can save your favorite template with the browser in that position/size and set that as your default template.

In the Edit Area, we always adapt zoom to the clip selection if there is one or more clips selected. If the Edit Area is already open, we preserve the current zoom even when changing selection (single click or using arrow keys).

Would you like a way to open the Edit Area with clips selected without zooming the content to fit? Do you mind explaining the use case? That's definitely something we could tweak. Our initial testing showed that everyone preferred the zoom-to-fit behavior and it was only when navigating between clips while having the Edit Area open it was key to preserve zoom, but that doesn't mean that's set in stone. :)

luckygreen

18 Jun 2024

Billy+ wrote:
18 Jun 2024
doze wrote:
18 Jun 2024

Is this something is purposefully omitted? Been waiting for it, I don't think there has been official word on it's omission since VST2. Figured back then oh maybe when we get VST3 support, but still missing.

Well Mattias said in response to me that it's on the todo list... Read the thread : -on 27 Jan 2021 I've only been waiting since ummmm R9.5 isn't that when we first got VST support? what year was that again...
29th of may 2017

Yes, VST support was introduced with R9.5

If I had to guess I would say RS don't want to risk the sales of their player devices which might be at least one reason why VST MIDI has a lower priority.
Reason 12 perpetual | Ableton Live 11 Suite
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

Pepin

18 Jun 2024

MattiasHG wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Would you like a way to open the Edit Area with clips selected without zooming the content to fit? Do you mind explaining the use case? That's definitely something we could tweak. Our initial testing showed that everyone preferred the zoom-to-fit behavior and it was only when navigating between clips while having the Edit Area open it was key to preserve zoom, but that doesn't mean that's set in stone. :)
Can't speak for dusan.cani's experience, but sometimes, you're editing a clip at your desired zoom level, you collapse the Edit Area with shift-tab to do something in the Arrangement Area, and then you want to go back to editing that same clip. IMO this is where the current behavior is undesirable.

You can only preserve your zoom setting if you make sure to de-select all clips before reopening the Edit Area with shift-tab. Then once it's open, you single click the clip you were originally editing.

The behavior I'd expect/prefer would be that, when the Edit Area is collapsed:
- Double clicking a clip to open the Edit Area auto-zooms (current behavior)
- Pressing shift-tab to open the Edit Area instead preserves your existing zoom setting

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

18 Jun 2024

Pepin wrote:
18 Jun 2024
- Pressing shift-tab to open the Edit Area instead preserves your existing zoom setting
That's fair! I'll take that to the design team and see if we can tweak that soon.

Dafreeze

18 Jun 2024

transpose semitones up and down with microtonal scales will save me alot of time, i like that very much, the delay also seems like alot of fun.

Pepin

18 Jun 2024

MattiasHG wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Pepin wrote:
18 Jun 2024
That's fair! I'll take that to the design team and see if we can tweak that soon.
That would be fantastic!

aquil

18 Jun 2024

Currently, when playing a song, if you open the new browser for a Combinator instrument patch and press Cancel, the sound from the Combinator cuts out briefly. I would like to report this and a few other issues in the next beta, hoping it won’t take too long to arrive.

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2024

I like Polytone.

It's got a nice sound and patches.

Caelo

18 Jun 2024

Just want to see if anyone else has this problem.

All my folders that I add to the Shortcut list are empty. When I browse my music folders and samples via the "My PC" option in the browser, everything is there and fine, but as soon as I link one of my music folders to the sidebar in the new browser (Shortcuts) and try to open it, it doesn't show any subfolders, samples or patches. They are complete empty (both in Tree and Flat view)

Edit: This seems to be connected to the fact that I have my samples in a cloud folder (OneDrive), however, all my files are downloaded and this was never a problem in Reason 12.
Last edited by Caelo on 18 Jun 2024, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

18 Jun 2024

Caelo wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Just want to see if anyone else has this problem.

All my folders that I add to the Shortcut list are empty. When I browse my music folders and samples via the "My PC" option in the browser, everything is there and fine, but as soon as I link one of my music folders to the sidebar in the new browser (Shortcuts) and try to open it, it doesn't show any subfolders, samples or patches. They are complete empty (both in Tree and Flat view)
If you've just added it, it is likely that it is still indexing.

tt_lab

18 Jun 2024

The UX of the browser is clumpsy aF. Why put a text UP in the middle and not a common arrow up or folder with an arrow up in the side like almost 99.9% of software out there?

Yonatan

18 Jun 2024

avasopht wrote:
18 Jun 2024
I like Polytone.

It's got a nice sound and patches.
I thought i would not like it but was surprised i did. It does what it does very good. Classic synth.

FGL

18 Jun 2024

Everything is fine with Reason 13. With the new browser you now know how many Thor patches there are for everything and what terrible patches you made yourself 10 years ago. Polytone is a good synthesizer that you can have years of fun with. Lots of knobs to turn but not overly complicated. Ripley is the device that I enjoy the most, even in the beta version the enormous potential was quickly apparent. The browser helps more new users and appears and I am happy that Reason really finds and organizes everything once it has indexed the hard drive. I am still scratching my head about the empty "User Patches" folder, it is empty to begin with and doesn't really have any useful function for me. Perhaps I can put alias jump points in there that will then lead back to where everything is in order for me.
Music:
My Songs on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@FGLucas-wj1eg.
My Songs on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/frank-georg-lucas.

Vil
RE Developer

18 Jun 2024

Can R+ users postpone this major version update?
If so, for how long? And how? (They, like everyone else can postpone middle version updates, as I know)

QVprod

18 Jun 2024

Vil wrote:
18 Jun 2024
If so, for how long? And how? (They, like everyone else can postpone middle version updates, as I know)
You can just choose not to download it. It’s not automatic.

Neofolk

18 Jun 2024

The new look of the sequencer is great, feels creative (I think the look of a daw is important as we stare at them for so long)

I like the new browser, but I wish it wasn't confined to the window it's opened in. I would like to move it to another monitor and have it sit there to use as needed.

Polytone and Ripley sound really nice. I haven't gone too deep yet, but I like what I've heard so far. Stereo tool will be used a lot.

I just hope they have the mixer in sight for the next round of updates. I think it sticks out like a sore thumb now. Looks old and clunky. I wish they would have added some more colors to the pallet to assign to channels too.

Marc64

18 Jun 2024

Waaaay too pricey for me. I might upgrade IF favourite lists adds back again.
So counter-intuitive... I just feel lost...
Last edited by Marc64 on 18 Jun 2024, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

18 Jun 2024

MattiasHG wrote:
18 Jun 2024
In the Edit Area, we always adapt zoom to the clip selection if there is one or more clips selected. If the Edit Area is already open, we preserve the current zoom even when changing selection (single click or using arrow keys).
I may be one of a few individuals who feels this way, but I would kill for a way to keep the editor and main sequencer’s zoom level synced so I can referencing timing of other tracks while editing.

And I’ll throw in a request for an option to keep all three views synced as well so we don’t have to keep doing the. “Sort Selected Device Groups” dance.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Aosta

18 Jun 2024

So with the new browser revamp will I not have to wait for a folder to scan all the time and will the annoying missing sounds pop up box that randomly finds your sounds or not depending what mood it is in be gone for good?
Tend the flame

Vil
RE Developer

18 Jun 2024

QVprod wrote:
18 Jun 2024
Vil wrote:
18 Jun 2024
You can just choose not to download it. It’s not automatic.
Ahh, so they need to start Reason without the Companion app.

tewoc

18 Jun 2024

Neofolk wrote:
18 Jun 2024
The new look of the sequencer is great, feels creative (I think the look of a daw is important as we stare at them for so long)

I like the new browser, but I wish it wasn't confined to the window it's opened in. I would like to move it to another monitor and have it sit there to use as needed.

Polytone and Ripley sound really nice. I haven't gone too deep yet, but I like what I've heard so far. Stereo tool will be used a lot.

I just hope they have the mixer in sight for the next round of updates. I think it sticks out like a sore thumb now. Looks old and clunky. I wish they would have added some more colors to the pallet to assign to channels too.
Yes a dark mode, but please at first sequencer tracks (in best case with mixer volume and pan knob) - I feel so lost there if you work with a lot of devices and automation. I can't take it anymore.

dusan.cani

18 Jun 2024

MattiasHG wrote:
18 Jun 2024

Hi, thanks for reply.

Use case is very simple and it's explained in the attached picture. The key point here is to just keep the consistency when browsing through the clips and showing them in edit area. There should be option whether you want to preserve your custom clip zoom or you want always apply the auto zoom to fit the content.

clip-behaviour.jpg
clip-behaviour.jpg (89.57 KiB) Viewed 1665 times

Pepin

18 Jun 2024

dusan.cani wrote:
18 Jun 2024
MattiasHG wrote:
18 Jun 2024

Hi, thanks for reply.

Use case is very simple and it's explained in the attached picture. The key point here is to just keep the consistency when browsing through the clips and showing them in edit area. There should be option whether you want to preserve your custom clip zoom or you want always apply the auto zoom to fit the content.

clip-behaviour.jpg
I'm pretty sure the reason clips don't always open on the left side of the screen is that they're positioned based on their position relative to the previously selected clip (or really, the current view):
  • If already on screen, then nothing happens
  • If off screen to the left, then it's aligned to the left
  • If off screen to the right, then it's aligned to the right
I think this behavior is good, because it effectively scrolls the view the minimum distance necessary to get the new clip on screen. This increases the likelihood that other nearby clips you're working on will remain on screen.

I proposed a solution to the custom zoom inconsistency: viewtopic.php?p=665056#p665056
What do you think?

• Information