I may have discovered a remedy for plugin GAS.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
raymondh

07 Sep 2022

I found another GAS solution, the hard way.
Crash your computer to the point you have to reinstall Windows and everything from scratch.

The painful process of reinstalling all the software, plugins, license validations etc, each time thinking 'gee when was the last time I used that?' !

Even the Rack Extension synching froze the authoriser due to the number I'd bought over the years, and 1/2 the devices get no use.

Probably the biggest lesson I learned was never buy something because it's on sale.

integerpoet

07 Sep 2022

raymondh wrote:
07 Sep 2022
Probably the biggest lesson I learned was never buy something because it's on sale.
"Never" is a tricky word. You could be lusting after a plug-in for weeks or months, waiting to save enough in your frivolity fund, when suddenly it goes on sale, and suddenly your fund has enough. Legit, no?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2022

Actually I don’t have a problem with GAS. I’ve had so many friends die the last two years that I’m in the mindset of thinking if I can afford something and want it I’ll get it and enjoy it. Here and now. Take the kids on cool holidays, buy a guitar I’ve always wanted, new pedals because they’re cool. That doesn’t mean I’m not careful about what I buy. There’s a difference. I will research things before I make any purchases so I get what’s right for what I’m looking to do. But at the end of the day, as the saying goes, “Enjoy yourself. It’s later than you think. “
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

raymondh

08 Sep 2022

integerpoet wrote:
07 Sep 2022
raymondh wrote:
07 Sep 2022
"Never" is a tricky word. You could be lusting after a plug-in for weeks or months, waiting to save enough in your frivolity fund, when suddenly it goes on sale, and suddenly your fund has enough. Legit, no?
Yes, I should have said never buy "just" because it's on sale.

It's a great day when something you really want goes on sale :)

raymondh

08 Sep 2022

MrFigg wrote:
08 Sep 2022
Actually I don’t have a problem with GAS. I’ve had so many friends die the last two years that I’m in the mindset of thinking if I can afford something and want it I’ll get it and enjoy it. Here and now. Take the kids on cool holidays, buy a guitar I’ve always wanted, new pedals because they’re cool. That doesn’t mean I’m not careful about what I buy. There’s a difference. I will research things before I make any purchases so I get what’s right for what I’m looking to do. But at the end of the day, as the saying goes, “Enjoy yourself. It’s later than you think. “
Yep, carpe diem!

It's great having something to look forward to as well!

Jac459

08 Sep 2022

MrFigg wrote:
08 Sep 2022
Sorry about your losses mate...

Actually you are making a very good point. To add on it, I'd like to say that the price of the "gears" has also strongly decreased. Before it was physical instruments worth sometimes a whole salary month. Today, it is often VST below 200 usd and often much less if we are talking about sales.
I may be biased because I live in singapore, one of the most, if not THE most expansive place on the planet, but when I bought the fm8 or the iris 2 from isotope, the equivalent in real life was to not going to Starbuck for 2 days... Even the more expansive synths like pigments that could be found for 99usd is far less expansive than an iPhone upgrade.Basically if you decide to not upgrade your phone, you buy yourself entertainment money for a while.

Now I very much understand that everybody has a very different financial situation but yet I believe, music GAS is not as crazy as it was 30 years ago.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

motuscott

08 Sep 2022

The teenage dream music set up that I have now was an unapproachable dream when I was a teenager.
Amazing times for musos, too bad about everything else going on.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Jac459

09 Sep 2022

motuscott wrote:
08 Sep 2022
The teenage dream music set up that I have now was an unapproachable dream when I was a teenager.
Amazing times for musos, too bad about everything else going on.
I share the same feeling. Lucky us. As a teen we were not dreaming of owning a ferrari 😊😊.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

• Information