Oh my grain!

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Jac459

23 Jun 2022

Having stopped music production for a while, I totally overlooked grain synthesis.
I am a sucker for subtractive (being old) ok with additive and FM but grain not much... A bit with mimic but not impressed.

Then I saw this video:

Not a fan of grain patches, I never played too much with the synth itself. Oh boy how wrong I was!
Feeding a loop inside the spectral grain is maybe the funniest thing I have done since playing with a 12db LP filter, 25 years ago. Oh my, this formant! The fft ! The expressivity is just beyond awesome.

I am certainly the last person in this forum who hasn't spent ours playing with this grain marvel but if I am not, I could not encourage you enough to do so!
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

BRIGGS

24 Jun 2022

Grain is mesmerizing at times. : )
r11s

motuscott

24 Jun 2022

Must stop playing with granular synthesis if only for the children
The Chillens must learn subtractive synthesis first
Like their Dad
Which would be me...
Guterdamnit, we need some rules around this joint
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Jac459

24 Jun 2022

motuscott wrote:
24 Jun 2022
Must stop playing with granular synthesis if only for the children
The Chillens must learn subtractive synthesis first
Like their Dad
Which would be me...
Guterdamnit, we need some rules around this joint
Having an engineering background, I was always very interested by the theory of sound synthesis and on that matter FM, and additive are very interresting technically. Subtractive to a lesser extend.

But reading about grain synthesis I found it quite lame initially. "OK, splitting a sample in grains, how lame is that? Doesn't even qualify to synthesis."

Knowing a bit more now I want to punch myself in the face. Grain synthesis is very awesome.

Physical modeling is to be fair awesome also... At least when looking at Friktion...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jac459

24 Jun 2022

BRIGGS wrote:
24 Jun 2022
Grain is mesmerizing at times. : )
:clap: :clap:
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Popey
Competition Winner

24 Jun 2022

Grain is awesome and I love granular synthesis.

When vst3 is implemented I recommend dawesome novum as well. It has just come out and has a 3 month fully functional trial. It's like grain on steroids.

Jagwah

24 Jun 2022

Cool thread I must give Grain more of a go!

Jac459

24 Jun 2022

Jagwah wrote:
24 Jun 2022
Cool thread I must give Grain more of a go!
Then you will probably slap yourself in anger of not doing it before... 🤣🤣
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jac459

24 Jun 2022

Popey wrote:
24 Jun 2022

When vst3 is implemented I recommend dawesome novum as well. It has just come out and has a 3 month fully functional trial. It's like grain on steroids.
Thanks for the tip, I need to convince myself to stop this stupid 'no vst' policy, but then I am very stubborn lol.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Popey
Competition Winner

24 Jun 2022

Jac459 wrote:
24 Jun 2022
Popey wrote:
24 Jun 2022

Thanks for the tip, I need to convince myself to stop this stupid 'no vst' policy, but then I am very stubborn lol.
That's cool we all do our own thing that makes us happy and reason is probably more reliable without vst's (I don't recall ever having a re crash). I quite like using everything and if you ever change your mind you can check novum out.

dvdrtldg

25 Jun 2022

I got as far as "... and I make dubstep"

Jac459

25 Jun 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
25 Jun 2022
I got as far as "... and I make dubstep"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jac459

26 Jun 2022

Popey wrote:
24 Jun 2022
That's cool we all do our own thing that makes us happy and reason is probably more reliable without vst's (I don't recall ever having a re crash). I quite like using everything and if you ever change your mind you can check novum out.
Ok, after listening to your song I went to check Novum and ... Oh My ... That's some solid steroids indeed.
Will wait for VST3 support but it may be my first purchase for sure...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Popey
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2022

Jac459 wrote:
26 Jun 2022
Popey wrote:
24 Jun 2022
Ok, after listening to your song I went to check Novum and ... Oh My ... That's some solid steroids indeed.
Will wait for VST3 support but it may be my first purchase for sure...
It has a 90 day unrestricted demo so it is definately worth trying. Dev is already implementing updates based on users feedback on kvr too so looks promising. I certainly am enjoying it.

• Information