IS REASON 12 THE LAST PERPETUAL VERSION

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jac459
Posts: 300
Joined: 29 Mar 2022
Location: Singapore

Post 22 Jun 2022

avasopht wrote: ↑
22 Jun 2022
Let's be real. There's less need for new features.

We've passed the critical threshold of expressiveness.

We've got realistic instruments. Powerful synths. The ability to create just about any sound we could imagine. And it can all be done on a used machine for about $100 (which has more power than all the workstation synths of the 00s that are still relevant today).

The name of the game right now is cornering a market.

Native Instruments makes a hell of a lot more money than Reason Studios and Ableton because they've cornered the market for making hot sounds.

Yamaha and Roland make even more than them because they sell ... ... wait for it ... ... standalone hardware you buy once and keep for decades. They can afford to squeeze sounds into a 32 MB ROM that sample libraries and hybrid synths running on PCs could barely match with 1 GB sound banks (although I think there are much better sub 1 GB virtual instruments that can match those late 90s/early 00s workstations).

Oh yeah ... my point ...

Right ... so, ... ... ... if DAWs only received bugfixes would it be a big deal? I don't think it would.
dakta wrote: ↑
22 Jun 2022
"I was ok with Reason 4.0.1 for almost 10 years, I will be ok with Reason 12 for 10 more years even more."

This summed it up for me - this is a very useful but also a very odd forum for whom many seems to extract more from trying to state how bad the software is or how bad financially the company is. Isn't it public now btw, isn't there a way to check?

The game has a albeit floating limit, once you can do everything you want to do with reason all you can really do in a bulk sense is throw plugins at it, this won't necessarily be a sad day.
Pretty much what I was getting at, and then I saw you'd posted this as I was about to submit.
I globally agree but not sure to understand what you mean by cornering market (sorry, not English native).

WaxTrax
Posts: 103
Joined: 16 Feb 2021

Post 22 Jun 2022

I own R11 Suite and now R12 perpetual thanks to the recent deal. I have also been a subscriber to R+ for a little over a year. I intend to continue my subscription as long as I can get it for less than $99/yr. That seems worth it to me, but $199/yr does not.

Jac459
Posts: 300
Joined: 29 Mar 2022
Location: Singapore

Post 22 Jun 2022

avasopht wrote: ↑
22 Jun 2022
We should raise the stakes.
I like the way you think. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 2104
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 22 Jun 2022

PERPETUAL SUBSCRIPTIONS!!! :?

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3498
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 23 Jun 2022

orthodox wrote: ↑
22 Jun 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote: ↑
22 Jun 2022

Well we can simply NOT subscribe to show that we don't want this trend to go even further, not only for Reason but as a whole. I mean if no one subscribed and simply said NO we're not going along with this, we wouldn't be in this mess. Companies would be forced to scrap the whole subscription thing. The customers has the power, not the company. But I guess people either like the idea of DAW/software subscriptions or aren't ready to make any sacrifice and stick to their principles.
That "if no one subscribed, companies would be forced..." is a utopia. What would you arrange, a movement, a flashmob? Many sticked to their principles and didn't subscribe, that does not change anything. The customers do not have the power, nor has the company. Power may come to those who have obvious truth on their side. So far it is not happening, and this means everything is going right as it should.
Nah, not gonna start a movement or become an activist or anything like that. It's not THAT important to me. It may be an utopia sure. But I'm just gonna do my little part so that I can go to bed knowing that I live according to my own conviction/opinion. That's all. Other people will have other opinions around subscriptions and live according to those. That's fine.

I feel the same with Zuckerbergs Metaverse. I don't care if that's the future and "where we're heading", I'm gonna do everything I can to not be a part of that shit, to not support it. Maybe I have to at some point, but if I am, I'm gonna be the last to get on that train.

"Power may come to those who have obvious truth on their side."
I'm not sure I agree with that. Many historic events tell otherwise. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point or applying it to something irrelevant. But from what I've seen it's more often those who talk most convincingly that gets power, those who can "sell" their idea best. Doesn't necessarily mean they have "truth" on their side.

Anyway I've said what I wanted to say so I'll end it here. To be honest I don't think anyone knows where Reason is headed (maybe not even themselves).
Some people say subscriptions are inevitable. Others say RS can't afford to quit perpetual licences. Who knows?

User avatar
thx
Posts: 46
Joined: 18 Sep 2016
Location: UK

Post 23 Jun 2022

You will own nothing and be happy [that online authorization worked].

User avatar
alipi
Posts: 21
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 23 Jun 2022

avasopht wrote: ↑
22 Jun 2022
Native Instruments makes a hell of a lot more money than Reason Studios and Ableton because they've cornered the market for making hot sounds.
For comparison, another Swedish company XLN Audio (content packaged in instruments) with 17 employees generated $6.7M revenue in 2021, with a profit of $2.8M and have $7.8M in cash (even after a healthy payout to shareholders).

Propellerhands
Posts: 93
Joined: 11 Apr 2020

Post 23 Jun 2022

avasopht wrote: ↑
22 Jun 2022
We should raise the stakes.

Let's make a bet ... losers have to make 3 remakes of cheesy, embarrassing and/or questionable songs, but post on all their social media (or visit friends and family to play your song if you don't do social media) as if you genuinely love making this style of music.

This thread says Reason 12 will be the last ... ... ... so ... ... ... anyone wanna play?
Personally do not believe Reason 12 will be the last. It is possible (as in, anything is possible nowadays) but hardly so. And hardly anyone believes this at all. But in near future of software development (like 5-15 years) it is quite possible. But only if other companies do the same. Reason is too niche product, hardly anybody uses. All my musician friends use Ableton. And I have just installed Lite version but still do not like the workflow that much compared to Reason despite it having tons of useful features.

However, there were companies in a world who did something stupid first and just went with it, but then again, those companies were too big to fail and thus people adopted their silly ideas. But who knows, that's just my opinion. Reason is here to stay for at least few more versions as standalone DAW.

Jac459
Posts: 300
Joined: 29 Mar 2022
Location: Singapore

Post 23 Jun 2022

alipi wrote: ↑
23 Jun 2022

For comparison, another Swedish company XLN Audio (content packaged in instruments) with 17 employees generated $6.7M revenue in 2021, with a profit of $2.8M and have $7.8M in cash (even after a healthy payout to shareholders).
That's very sad to see how poorly reason studios perform against competition because they still have a superb product imho. And agreed on ableton's workflow, I tried to jump on-board many times but I still largely prefere reason.
Reading this, I start to think that the rack plugin was a genius idea to get a bit more cash and value from their software. And certainly sub is too if it give them a breath of air in terms of revenue...

I am a 'no string attached person', my colleagues fight again iPhone vs android, Windows vs macos, I could not care less. Give me a good discount in either solution I would jump on it because I don't care. Reason is different. It is 1000s of hours of skills set acquired on this beauty, an environment which is not productive but 'creative'. I don't think I would have same fun jumping in Logic or ableton...

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Trendiction [Bot] and 0 guests