Robotic Bean - Portatron Tape Synthesizer (VST3)

Discuss VST stuff here!
danc

24 Jan 2023

Available now for $29 - https://audioplugin.deals/product/porta ... botic-bean

Get extra 10% off with code TACO10 if you buy today (24 Jan).

At this price it might be more enticing for those sat on the fence with it.
Check my Soundcloud:

Ahornberg

24 Jan 2023

Thanks!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Jan 2023

Right, I've got it on the Cart. One thing though...is this really just essentially a four layer sampler. What I mean is...if I layered a load of samples then put on a few of the multitude of Lo-Fi effects plugins I own would it be the same. Or does Portatron do something over and above? Just wondering. I tried it but only got 20 minutes :)

Edit: Too late. Bought!!!
Last edited by MrFigg on 24 Jan 2023, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

danc

24 Jan 2023

MrFigg wrote:
24 Jan 2023
Right, I've got it on the Cart. One thing though...is this really just essentially a four layer sampler. What I mean is...if I layered a load of samples then put on a few of the multitude of Lo-Fi effects plugins I own would it be the same. Or does Portatron do something over and above? Just wondering. I tried it but only got 20 minutes :)
I thought the same... because yes... I can do the FX (EQ, panning, drive, delay, reverb) with any other plugin. I have other FX that can give me tape start/stop FX.

Where it comes alive for me is when you start to automate everything (like loop positions, rewind, reverse, locator 1/2/3 positions, dropout, wobble, tape-speed etc etc) You can bring a lot of interest to quite mundane sounds. You have to think outside the box when using this - and just imagine you had a real tape recorder but hooked up with MIDI control on every element. Yes - that is what a sampler can do, but this is a lot more analogue tappey... you just need to keep resetting that 20-min test and try out various ideas and see if it adds anything to your productions. Only you can decide.

Edit: Ooohh... you bought!!!
Check my Soundcloud:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Jan 2023

danc wrote:
24 Jan 2023
MrFigg wrote:
24 Jan 2023
I thought the same... because yes... I can do the FX (EQ, panning, drive, delay, reverb) with any other plugin. I have other FX that can give me tape start/stop FX.

Where it comes alive for me is when you start to automate everything (like loop positions, rewind, reverse, locator 1/2/3 positions, dropout, wobble, tape-speed etc etc) You can bring a lot of interest to quite mundane sounds. You have to think outside the box when using this - and just imagine you had a real tape recorder but hooked up with MIDI control on every element. Yes - that is what a sampler can do, but this is a lot more analogue tappey... you just need to keep resetting that 20-min test and try out various ideas and see if it adds anything to your productions. Only you can decide.

Edit: Ooohh... you bought!!!
Yeah I did :). And I loooooove it!!!!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

danc

24 Jan 2023

MrFigg wrote:
24 Jan 2023
However... there is a BIG bug. Reset the device. Go into TAPE EDITOR and drop in a drum hit sample (not a built in one) on one of the lanes. Any short sample will do. Now - click and drag the TAPE LENGTH. And for some reason the TAPE EDITOR screen hides all the samples and the plugin hangs. You can't get out of it. You have reset your DAW. Oops. That's one for Robotic Bean to fix me thinks!

Anyone else see this?
Last edited by danc on 24 Jan 2023, edited 1 time in total.
Check my Soundcloud:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Jan 2023

danc wrote:
24 Jan 2023
MrFigg wrote:
24 Jan 2023
However... there is a BIG bug. Reset the device and drop in a drum hit. Any short sample will do. Now - click and drag the TAPE LENGTH. And for some reason the TAPE EDITOR screen hides all the samples and the plugin hangs. You can't get out of it. You have reset your DAW. Oops. That's one for Robotic Bean to fix me thinks!

Anyone else see this?
Yeah...I think I found a bug while demoing it...20 minutes ran out before I could confirm. I'll get on it tomorrow.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Steedus
Competition Winner

24 Jan 2023

Yeah I thought it was cool but couldn't work out how to "make music" with it so to speak.. at least the music that I usually make. Still temping at this price though. Maybe I could branch out into ambient drones.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2023

For hose who didn't buy this yesterday I'd urge you to buy it today. It's absolutely brilliant.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

25 Jan 2023

danc wrote:
24 Jan 2023
Available now for $29 - https://audioplugin.deals/product/porta ... botic-bean

Get extra 10% off with code TACO10 if you buy today (24 Jan).

At this price it might be more enticing for those sat on the fence with it.
I wish I could use my rewards. Their system reminds me a bit of the Reason rewards, particularly before its improvements. the Audio Plugin Deals reward system is limited on what you can spend rewards on and seems like there is nothing in which you can purchase using just reward points (you have to pay whatever the "base price" is). It's pretty confusing. I've clicked a few emails reminding me about all my reward points, only to be frustrated that it's just a creative way to get you to spend your money lol. At least Reason Studios fixed that with their system. Unless I'm misunderstanding how Audio Plugin Deals works...

huggermugger

25 Jan 2023

MrFigg wrote:
25 Jan 2023
For hose who didn't buy this yesterday I'd urge you to buy it today. It's absolutely brilliant.
Bugs notwithstanding?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2023

huggermugger wrote:
25 Jan 2023
MrFigg wrote:
25 Jan 2023
Bugs notwithstanding?
Bugs notwithstanding.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

25 Jan 2023

Ah man! $29 is pretty much giving it away. Sweet deal! I paid $67. I could really use that extra $38 right now. I wish I didn't see this sale price - gives me some buyer's remorse. Looks like the deal is good for another 12 days. No brainer for $29!

I wonder how AudioPlugins is able to offer this for so cheap?
rb.jpg
rb.jpg (62.21 KiB) Viewed 16001 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

hamsterfactor

25 Jan 2023

Picked it up yesterday with the coupon. It's weird and fun. :thumbup:
:reason: Suite 11  |  :reason: 12 perpetual license  |  :re::refill: |  macOS Ventura  |  Mac Studio M1 Max

moneykube

25 Jan 2023

challism wrote:
25 Jan 2023
Ah man! $29 is pretty much giving it away. Sweet deal! I paid $67. I could really use that extra $38 right now. I wish I didn't see this sale price - gives me some buyer's remorse. Looks like the deal is good for another 12 days. No brainer for $29!

I wonder how AudioPlugins is able to offer this for so cheap?

rb.jpg
it does not seem to be a functioning deal... you click the buy at $29... nothing.... the page reloads with nothing in your cart, unless you go for product page You click product page , goto cart and it is $179 CAD :shock:
For $29 (well, maybe, ok), but for $179 > that is a big no for me
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

moneykube

25 Jan 2023

since I can't edit (within minutes after posting) I will make an extra post for the UPDATE> the shop is now functioning...
A very good deal... installed it, and enjoying this interesting evolution of my old 4 track recorder :exclamation: :thumbup:
LOVE the massive pitch option and others :!:

Mattvank

26 Jan 2023

Why this and not 4 times Grain in a Combinator?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2023

Mattvank wrote:
26 Jan 2023
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7530659&p=630329&h ... hn#p630329
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

moneykube

26 Jan 2023

Mattvank wrote:
26 Jan 2023
I doubt it would be quite the same... neither mimic or grain can pitch things in quite the same way.
The 4 loop able tracks seem to deal with longer sounds better> from my brief exploration.
it also has the tape vibe capability, with the handy eq capability.
I don't believe you can create the same thing in grain or mimic... but, something similar > yes
I would not pay full price for it... but at 29 bucks, it is a good deal. :puf_smile:

huggermugger

26 Jan 2023

Downloaded the demo and it's mucho fun to use. Sounds great too. Just wish it had separate audio outs.

joeyluck

26 Jan 2023

MrFigg wrote:
26 Jan 2023
Mattvank wrote:
26 Jan 2023
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7530659
:-)

Just to be clear, that patch isn't made to try to emulate Portatron. The ramp up/down tape effect while playing was inspired by it though. I just wanted to create something with that effect and have it be polyphonic.

Arpeg
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2023

Thank you for the heads up.. Done deal

challism

27 Jan 2023

huggermugger wrote:
26 Jan 2023
Downloaded the demo and it's mucho fun to use. Sounds great too. Just wish it had separate audio outs.
It would also be nice to be able to record directly into the device, instead of having to load samples.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Ahornberg

27 Jan 2023

challism wrote:
27 Jan 2023
It would also be nice to be able to record directly into the device, instead of having to load samples.
I'm missing that too :exclamation:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2023

Wish you could slice/ copy/ paste the samples within each track and move them about.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information