Interesting video about EQing

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Aosta

08 Jan 2022

Well I know I'm guilty of a few of these from time to time :oops:

EQing is a crucual part but it is somewhat is a grey area to many, some say boosting is a no no, less is more etc.

Hope this helps a little?

Tend the flame

integerpoet

08 Jan 2022

Did he really say "thundermental" in reference to the kick? I hope so!

integerpoet

08 Jan 2022

A while after I finished watching this I realized what I liked best about it was actually something it did not cover.

At no point did he talk about using side-chain compression of the bass to make room for the kick.

If I see one more description of that, I may choke. It's over-recommended in a way similar to how this video talks about sweeping.

Granted, this is a video about EQ mistakes, so he'd really have no reason to talk about compression mistakes. He probably has another video for that.

But I feel like this could also be a demo of how reaching for that other tool is often premature unless you deliberately overdo it because you think pumping is a feature not a bug. :-)

Also, given his enthusiasm for high-pass filtering I imagine he probably takes a dim view of tools like TrackSpacer for that purpose.
Last edited by integerpoet on 08 Jan 2022, edited 2 times in total.

Aosta

08 Jan 2022

integerpoet wrote:
08 Jan 2022
He probably has another video for that.
He probably does :lol:

Tend the flame

integerpoet

08 Jan 2022

Aosta wrote:
08 Jan 2022
integerpoet wrote:
08 Jan 2022
He probably has another video for that.
He probably does :lol:
That one was pretty good, too.

His idea of training (my word choice) with a compressor and a drum loop seems pretty solid.

I think I'd better subscribe.

Aosta

08 Jan 2022

integerpoet wrote:
08 Jan 2022
Well worth it! He has some fantastic content in teaching and he also does great videos about famous songs and albums and how they were created.
Tend the flame

integerpoet

08 Jan 2022

Aosta wrote:
08 Jan 2022
integerpoet wrote:
08 Jan 2022
Well worth it! He has some fantastic content in teaching and he also does great videos about famous songs and albums and how they were created.
Yeah, I didn't mention (until now) I also watched his clip on "Blue Monday" and it was straight up excellent. (Spoiler: It was less about engineering and more about production.)

But I have to say I realized during a dog walk just now that I'm a little concerned he might be too ready to reach for the side effects of analog circuits as if they had been designed as tools which obviate compression. He pretty significantly altered the character of a snare by running it through an emulation of a guitar overdrive pedal with the drive turned all the way down and then talked about how that had done what he wanted to the transients. His clients probably go to him in part to get that sound, so it makes practical sense for him, but also he seemed to be so gratified by the change that I wonder if it's a challenge for him to keep in mind that it isn't objectively good in all situations. One man's digital sterility is another man's precise accuracy, and I can see some people cargo-culting his advice here just as they cargo-cult the EQ sweeping advice from other people. Not all snares need to be that kind of fat. :-)

moalla

09 Jan 2022

Exactly not everything has to be fat, so that‘s my Problem in the last Time espacial with dt880pro headphones for music session beside our 11month old daughter. His view of things and overall the was of teaching is amazing, time goes by when you listening his tips, also good without warching the hole time, first Tutorials wich are not become boring! Also it’s fine for me to see some real professional with inexpensive Eve SC205 speakers in his regie.

So yeah it‘s at all not the question to be the loudest, it‘s more get a crisp sound in the silent passages, especial the tip change the send amount in different passages of your song tracks 👌
That‘s such things how are forgotten often, cause to much technical niceties....
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

integerpoet

09 Jan 2022

I am reminded of Meshell Ndegeocello's Peace Beyond Passion, which (IMO) has drop-dead gorgeous engineering which she later expressed mixed feelings about because for her that kind of perfection had been (or had become) a non-goal and distracted her from her priorities. And I respect that and I would never try to talk her into sticking with that approach, but gosh I also can't help but love that record. I totally get the argument against sterility. And years ago stumbling across the CompressMaster preset in Scream blew my mind because at the time it felt like an instant shortcut to the sound of the 1980s LPs I grew up on. But I wonder what engineering will be like in a hundred years (if humans are still mixing and mastering) because all the old guard will be long gone and even the reverberations of analog faux-nostalgia among retro cork sniffers will have had a chance to subside.

integerpoet

09 Jan 2022

integerpoet wrote:
08 Jan 2022
I'm a little concerned he might be too ready to reach for the side effects of analog circuits as if they had been designed as tools which obviate compression…
I stumbled across a video dedicated to this very thing: simple saturation trick for your transients. But did that snare actually need help? Does it actually sound better after? (Does the video even provide enough context to decide?) Those questions asked, though, I have to admit the track as a whole seems to be of a genre I wouldn't willingly listen to, so it's entirely possible I have no frame of reference whatsoever and should just keep my mouth shut. As well, I saw another video in which it was clear he's very conscious of being carefully era and genre -appropriate and it seems likely I am overthinking.

jam-s

09 Jan 2022

integerpoet wrote:
09 Jan 2022
I stumbled across a video dedicated to this very thing: simple saturation trick for your transients. But did that snare actually need help? Does it actually sound better after? (Does the video even provide enough context to decide?) Those questions asked, though, I have to admit the track as a whole seems to be of a genre I wouldn't willingly listen to, so it's entirely possible I have no frame of reference whatsoever and should just keep my mouth shut. As well, I saw another video in which it was clear he's very conscious of being carefully era and genre -appropriate and it seems likely I am overthinking.
For this pop track he's making the snare "pop" using distortion/saturation, which imho is pretty appropriate for the genre.

PhillipOrdonez

10 Jan 2022

Not guilty of any of these 🕺

integerpoet

10 Jan 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
10 Jan 2022
Not guilty of any of these 🕺

• Information