Reason 12.2.1 Release Notes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Majestik Monkey

01 Oct 2021

Majestik Monkey wrote:
30 Sep 2021
[Reason 12.2.1] ntel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz ,16 Gig Ram, Home , 21H1 All Drivers updated :

1/ The Update displayed an "Error Message" right at the end of the updating process !? with options to Retry ' so i did , then that process Crashed ,
& R12.2.1 installed , So i run it for a 10/15 mins before the same issues started popping up that i was having with the previous version / Many Re's Freezing up ' like slow motion & hard to work with ' Dial & fader & everything else latency + Along with Constant INDEXING as if Searching for Middle Earth?

2/ So Yesterday i Uninstalled this version ' that had the Error message ' Just to be sure !?
& Re downloaded from My account the Full RS 12.2.1 + Sound banks ............... But the very same issues are still present !

3/ The biggest problem/worry to me is the [Constant Indexing Thing ] which carries on until i reboot RS & then it works for a while
but still returns to INDEXING eventually at some point ' then i have to Save & reboot again , :question:

4/Px7 / Zero Hybrid / Jps Harmonic / Revival / Noxious / Mixfood Refresh / Mixfood Unison/ Mixfood Orange/ Blackpole Station
Everyone of these Synths behave in the same manner ' Impossible to work with / Latency .

5/ Even the RS Plugin Version does the same thing in other Daws / Starts that infernal CONSTANT INDEXING Grrrrrrr

6/ I have the latest RS 11 Installed ' With none of the above , works just fine. It's confusing TBH !

7/ Should i roll back to Rs11 , I don't want to after having seen the Better side of the Updates / GUI & Mimic & so on
i have less than 2 weeks since i purchased the Update. Should i just hold out ???

8/ And No i'am not Angry at the Props...........Shit happens...........Just get it Sorted init :puf_bigsmile:

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 Oct 2021

rootwheel wrote:
01 Oct 2021

It's remarkable how from Reason 1.0 all the way through to Reason 10.4 - around 35 separate releases in total, nothing like this ever seemed to happen. But from Reason 11 through to now (which unbelievably is already 16 releases in total!) each one has had something pretty bad wrong with it somewhere in the code or a feature which worked in the previous release mysteriously stop working in the following release.
Nothing amazing about it at all.

In 2013 a code change triggered a bug in code added in 2003 that had safety checks disabled in 2005 [1]. 18.9% of reported bugs were introduced in an earlier version [2].

I will reiterate what I said in my previous comment - I am not saying THIS IS DEFINITELY THE CAUSE. I'm just explaining how a major change like this can cause instability. And then there's the coordination with graphics which could be very different.

Also, do be aware that R12 is technically not at release quality ATM. It's effectively an early pre-release. These are the sorts of bugs that you would see pop up during development that get ironed out before release.

I agree with what you say about moving fast and breaking things and whatnot. I don't think this is an appropriate way to launch a paid upgrade. It's worse for people on R+ because they don't have a clear means to reinstall the stable R11.

rootwheel

01 Oct 2021

avasopht wrote:
01 Oct 2021
I agree with what you say about moving fast and breaking things and whatnot. I don't think this is an appropriate way to launch a paid upgrade. It's worse for people on R+ because they don't have a clear means to reinstall the stable R11.
Agreed. 12 is definitely not a stable branch paid upgrade product and Reason+ seems to currently be a pay-to-join perpetual beta programme.

I just hope the codebase hasn't become so unmanageable that it's now like too much of a virtual Jenga tower; otherwise this kind of unacceptable and unreliable release shenanigans is going to be with us to stay - pot luck with every release if some feature or another has been caught up being affected by some other part of the application completely unrelated but now overwriting over its data or changing the memory arrangement and creating instability in the process.

EnochLight

01 Oct 2021

rootwheel wrote:
01 Oct 2021
I just hope the codebase hasn't become so unmanageable that it's now like too much of a virtual Jenga tower
If anything, the codebase now should be more manageable, as they just re-wrote it from the ground up in order to shift graphics processing to the GPU. One would hope that they had the foresight to keep things more manageable anyway, compared to the 20+ year old codebase they were working off of before...

Time will tell, I suppose.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

DaveyG

01 Oct 2021

If this is an example of Agile software development then I'd like to go back to Plodding-To-The-Finish-Line-However-Long-It-Takes software development, please. :puf_smile:

AttenuationHz

01 Oct 2021

DNGmaestro wrote:
01 Oct 2021

This just shows a massive lack of testing and quality control. I mean, they saw the simple visual bug in the transport section and choose not to correct it, “to not let others waiting”. How much time would that take? What that does that about RS as a company right now? Makes no sense to me.
It would literally take 4 minutes or less to fix most likely, but if the build was already halfway through the process of being in a live state it might not have been worth the effort. It is a small issue and I share your sentiments about QA or lack thereof. Such a small thing being missed even though it is reported says a lot though, it is the type of mistake a junior developer could easily make and or fix. The point is that it introduces a new bug to the system which was previously not an issue, if I recall it was an issue when delay comp was introduced.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

EnochLight

01 Oct 2021

DaveyG wrote:
01 Oct 2021
If this is an example of Agile software development then I'd like to go back to Plodding-To-The-Finish-Line-However-Long-It-Takes software development, please. :puf_smile:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

hedswell

01 Oct 2021

When dragging a MIDI file into the sequencer the Transport Track no longer remains at the top of the sequencer window.

pquenin

01 Oct 2021

Benedict wrote:
30 Sep 2021
I loved R11 (never understood really why so many were hateful about it) but I see R12 as not ready for release.
The more I test R12, the more I love R11, that is very stable and efficient.
I took the time to compare carefully R12 (12.2.1) and R11 on my computer and it's clear that I can't use R12 at the moment, while R11 is just perfect.

cincyjack

01 Oct 2021

I was hoping one of these would fix my issue in Studio One:

Fixed a bug where the Reason process was still running in background after quitting Reason, sometimes making it impossible to start Reason

Fixed a bug where Reason Rack Plugin could cause Cubase to hang when quitting the program.

Studio One still remains running in the Windows background if RRP is in the project. I thought changing plugin authorization to Computer fixed this issue, but no.
Studio One will also sometimes hang if I try to remove the RRP from a project.
In either case, must cancel Windows task.

Also, when adding a new instance of the plugin, the plugin window indicates update available, yet I have updated to the latest version.

Sumpin' flakey with RRP and Studio One, in my experience.

Reason support took over a week to respond and was unfamiliar with the issue.
Reason 12.2.5
I7, Windows 10, 16 GB RAM
Radeon HD 5600

Benedict
Competition Winner

01 Oct 2021

Here's yet another repeating instance of 12.2.1 displaying/not displaying things.
Same clip exactly Ctrl Dragged. Two don't show Automation Curve, the third does. That could change at any time.
Ok, yeah the data still works but the display doesn't.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Arrant
Competition Winner

02 Oct 2021

Dragging and dropping is terrible in the rack as well, sometimes you must disconnect the cablses from a device to move it where you want it.
The cablses? Yeah, I'll leave that in.

Jackjackdaw

02 Oct 2021

I can’t bear it anymore! The more I use it the worse it gets. I don’t want to go back to the blur but HD is useless if nothing works.

andreasgr

03 Oct 2021

i can not install the 12.2.1, i am on a Mac, but the downloaded zip-file is corrupt.. on my windows pc (and with the windows version) it works, but on this windows pc i can not extract the mac-zip-file too .. ( i downloaded with the browser and as a torrent.. nothing works..) anybody here with the same problems?

Greg Savage

03 Oct 2021

Reason definitely seems to be running a lot smoother. One issue I'm running into is with the Redrum. Sometimes, if I play a pattern and hit stop, one of the sounds keeps playing.

I've gone as far as to mute all sounds within the Redrum and that one channel will still be playing and the only way to stop it is to delete the Redrum and then Ctrl+Z or Command +Z

Also, is anyone noticing certain plugins not working in Reason 12 that work perfectly fine in Reason 11?

For the RRP, I wish you could simply scale the plugin by dragging one of the corners vs zooming to a percentage. Hopefully, this is something Reason Studios addresses in the future.
Music Composer/Sound Designer
Music Licensing - Credits

Jackjackdaw

03 Oct 2021

I don’t think they are able to implement dragging to scale as the UI is all bitmaps, zooming is really just loading a bigger picture.

Greg Savage

03 Oct 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
03 Oct 2021
I don’t think they are able to implement dragging to scale as the UI is all bitmaps, zooming is really just loading a bigger picture.
That's disheartening :(

Jackjackdaw

03 Oct 2021

Greg Savage wrote:
03 Oct 2021
Jackjackdaw wrote:
03 Oct 2021
It’s the same deal with Arturia plugs. Gotta live with it if you like the realism look.

Greg Savage

03 Oct 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
03 Oct 2021
Greg Savage wrote:
03 Oct 2021

It’s the same deal with Arturia plugs. Gotta live with it if you like the realism look.
That's a good point.

avasopht
Competition Winner

03 Oct 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
03 Oct 2021
Websites and games do it. Photoshop and illustrator does it.

They have the high resolution graphics. It's rendered on the GPU. It could be done.

Jackjackdaw

03 Oct 2021

If you zoom a bitmap in Photoshop or your browser it will pixelate. Illustrator is a vector drawing app that is scalable but you need to use bitmap textures if you want realistic textures.

Steedus
Competition Winner

03 Oct 2021

IK Multimedia T-racks plugins can be freely resized by dragging a corner and look great. They’re skumorphic too.

jam-s

03 Oct 2021

Scaling a few bitmaps (=textures) onto some 2d rectangles and composing a scene out of those is one of the easiest tasks a GPU can handle. I really don't see why dynamic zoom should pose much of a problem - unless they made some bad decisions on how to implement the GPU based rendering pipeline.

avasopht
Competition Winner

03 Oct 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
03 Oct 2021
If you zoom a bitmap in Photoshop or your browser it will pixelate. Illustrator is a vector drawing app that is scalable but you need to use bitmap textures if you want realistic textures.
Not if you are doing so with the highest resolution image you have (which would always be larger than your screen). It won't pixelate because to fit it to your smaller screen it would be zooming out, not in.

You're thinking about the zoom in the wrong direction.

Imagine instead that when you load the image at 100%, it's so large that you can only see a quarter of it and have to zoom out to 50% for it to fit your screen.

Anti aliasing will smooth out any jaggies.

Chi-Individual

03 Oct 2021

Greg Savage wrote:
03 Oct 2021
Reason definitely seems to be running a lot smoother. One issue I'm running into is with the Redrum. Sometimes, if I play a pattern and hit stop, one of the sounds keeps playing.

I've gone as far as to mute all sounds within the Redrum and that one channel will still be playing and the only way to stop it is to delete the Redrum and then Ctrl+Z or Command +Z
I had a similar issue with Redrum when I trialed the initial release but a bit different. I use the Drum Sequencer player with Redrum and when I first used Redrum with the DS I would hit stop at times and still get one extra hit in the pattern. I couldn't reproduce on command and I couldn't tell if it was because Redrum or DS but it happened enough to be noticeable. I have the latest release and it hasn't happened yet but probably still needs to be a bug report.

I'm just praying they haven't broken Redrum!!!!!

• Information