MOTU releases Digital Performer 11

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
marcuswitt

06 Jul 2021

https://motu.com/en-us/products/software/dp/

Nice upgrade for one of the most underrated DAWs: MPE support, per-Note-CC-scaling, Articulation Maps, support of more Hardware Control Devices including an improvement of EuCon integration, an improved Sampler, scaling of the length of Faders in the Mixing Board, etc.

That upgrade is an instant buy for me. Great job, MOTU!

guitfnky

06 Jul 2021

I used DP 5/6 to record my band’s first full length. it’s got a ton of features, but the learning curve and workflow are horrendous. even still, I was excited to get back to using DP 10 last year, now that it’s also available on PC. the workflow hasn’t improved much, and unfortunately it was unusable on my PC (I guess that’s fairly common). add to that the abysmal customer support, bitter user forum experience, and, well, you get the idea. I saw the announcement earlier today and couldn’t help but laugh.

it’ll always hold a space in my heart for nostalgia, but it’s honestly one of the worst DAWs I’ve ever used overall.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

motuscott

06 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
06 Jul 2021
the workflow hasn’t improved much, and unfortunately it was unusable on my PC (I guess that’s fairly common). add to that the abysmal customer support, bitter user forum experience, and, well, you get the idea.
I had to laugh, Mr Funky. I started out on DP (well, Audiodesk). Not a good place to start!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

guitfnky

06 Jul 2021

motuscott wrote:
06 Jul 2021
guitfnky wrote:
06 Jul 2021
the workflow hasn’t improved much, and unfortunately it was unusable on my PC (I guess that’s fairly common). add to that the abysmal customer support, bitter user forum experience, and, well, you get the idea.
I had to laugh, Mr Funky. I started out on DP (well, Audiodesk). Not a good place to start!
you ain’t kidding—it was an uphill slog for months before I started to get that program figured out. on the bright side when I switched to Reason, everything was super easy. 😆

guitfnky

06 Jul 2021

and I use the phrase “figured out” VERY loosely. 😅

DaveyG

07 Jul 2021

I'm quite surprised DP is still going and I'm very surprised at their high prices!

In recent years I haven't heard of it being used by anyone in the mainstream music production industry. Has it carved out a niche somewhere?

marcuswitt

07 Jul 2021

DaveyG wrote:
07 Jul 2021
I'm quite surprised DP is still going and I'm very surprised at their high prices!

In recent years I haven't heard of it being used by anyone in the mainstream music production industry. Has it carved out a niche somewhere?
There might be two reasons for not hearing much about anyone in the mainstream music production industry (Rock, Pop, R&B, HipHop, EDM), the main reason being that MOTU's marketing is not as 'aggressive' as that of other companies in this business. From my perspective, MOTU should be a bit 'louder' about their products. And the other reason might be that the majority of the professionals and hobbyists out there are using other DAWs, like ProTools, LogicPro X, Cubase, Ableton Live, Reason, etc. Fair enough…

To answer your question: Yes, Digital Performer is very popular amongst the community of composers who write music for films/movies and TV series, although I'm not sure if one can call it a 'niche market'. In my opinion it's not a niche market at all, but obviously a (huge) market that is 'flying under the radar' of the the majority of music consumers. Moreover, Digital Performer is really often used as a Live-Show Control and Audio Playback System.

slic

07 Jul 2021

Digital Performer is a DAW that looks better 'on paper' than it actually is when you try it (I have demoed a couple of times). It just doesn't seem to work 'together' for me...they have added a ton of stuff but somehow it just seems difficult to work with and often hidden away. That said, there is a ton of great stuff in there, V-Rack is natural for Reason users and I love the way they have implemented MPE for example.

EdGrip

07 Jul 2021

I tried the full-featured "lite" version that came with my M4 interface - likewise, it was unusable on my PC.

motuscott

08 Jul 2021

It's used for lots of film soundtrack work, that's some complicated stuff. Yeah, the forum…
Shooshie was not unlike our own Selig and Magic Dave from MOTU proper dropped in occasionally to help, but forum fuhrer Jimmy Steele, dayum
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Re8et
Competition Winner

13 Aug 2021

I read all MOTU gear firmwares has been fully rewritten for the M1 chip, MOTU on the edge!!

• Information