Half Rack Devices

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
deeplink
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2021

Those legacy devices get to me. It's not a great sight to see an old and forgotten idea still linger in the rack.

Instead, I think RS should continue the idea - and specifically add the Kong effects into their own half rack versions.

Another idea would see the inclusion of Europa/Thor/Algoritm effects as half racks.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

DaveyG

15 Jun 2021

They don't offend me but I can't remember the last time I used one. I also can't remember the last time anyone mentioned them on this forum.
In the early days I do remember being slightly irritated when I used an odd number of them and thus ended up with a blank half space in the rack!

Loque

15 Jun 2021

I still sometimes use the UNISON and phaser. The filter is missing some types, so i barly touch it.

The chorus sounds very metallic, which can work here and there.

I wish the Kong fx and units would break free, yea. Give the modules a note follow and everything is fine.
Reason12, Win10

challism

15 Jun 2021

I would LOVE to see Kong's effects made into half-rack devices. Tape echo being my first wish. This will, sadly, never happen (in my opinion). At least we can route audio into Kong and use the FX, but really don't like routing audio thru instruments like that. It feels like way too huge of device to be using for a simple effect that could be made into and better suited as a half-rack.

My favorite half-rack devices are the cv/audio spiders and unison, in fact they are the only 3 that I ever use.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

riemac

15 Jun 2021

I don‘t like the half rack devices. I wish RS would change them in full Rack devices during the high definition Update. When they are at it they could change the styl in something modern like the Quartett.

Loque

15 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
15 Jun 2021
I would LOVE to see Kong's effects made into half-rack devices. Tape echo being my first wish. This will, sadly, never happen (in my opinion). At least we can route audio into Kong and use the FX, but really don't like routing audio thru instruments like that. It feels like way too huge of device to be using for a simple effect that could be made into and better suited as a half-rack.

My favorite half-rack devices are the cv/audio spiders and unison, in fact they are the only 3 that I ever use.
Kong is huge for a simple FX and you cannot automate or modulate everything in the FX.

The Kong modules would be very interesting for modular experiments, but they do not follow notes and also cannot be fully automated/modulated.

I want the Kong modules extern since Kong was introduced. I am not a fan of drum-computers, since you cannot separate everything in an easy way. On the other hand i can understand why ppl want to have such combined devices for live-playing. But i am a sucker for that and my rhythmic body coordination is that from a sloth.
Reason12, Win10

Loque

15 Jun 2021

riemac wrote:
15 Jun 2021
I don‘t like the half rack devices. I wish RS would change them in full Rack devices during the high definition Update. When they are at it they could change the styl in something modern like the Quartett.
Naa, i like the half rack units. But they could add some more controls or at least CV inputs. I never understood why the EQ doesnt had enough CV inputs...
Reason12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez

15 Jun 2021

I use the phaser, reverb and delay half rack devices sometimes. Got to give the unison and chorus a go, but I rarely use such effects.

The Kong effects could be cool to have as half rack devices, and some of their modules too.

challism

15 Jun 2021

Loque wrote:
15 Jun 2021
riemac wrote:
15 Jun 2021
Naa, i like the half rack units. But they could add some more controls or at least CV inputs. I never understood why the EQ doesnt had enough CV inputs...
I agree that the half-rack devices are fine in size and I realy wouldn't want to see them get any bigger. No real need for that. They don't have enough going on and being bigger would make them look kind of silly; looking at you Softube Saturation knob.

I never understand why Reason don't max out all devices with CV in/out. I mean, this is where Reason outshines all competition. Every time they release some new device with minimal CVs, I just shake my head. Latest casualty: Friktion

Since we are talking about updating legacy devices... why the hell can't so many things be automated in some of the earlier devices. Like resolution knob can't be automated in Matrix or Redrum. That's so weak.

Jackjackdaw

15 Jun 2021

I'm in love with the half rack digital reverb. It's got this crispy old school vibe , is dead easy to use and dial in.

I use the delay for simulating room bounce back on drums , just a few miliseconds. Again, easy to dial in and is really effective.

I think there is certain amount of bias against these devices because they look old. I have a similar dislike for Malstrom even though I have got some cool sounds out of it, I just don't like how it looks.

Billy+

15 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
15 Jun 2021

I've been saying that since Kong was introduced. Make them all separate half rack :thumbs_up:

And I still get plenty of use from the half racks, if anything I think their lonely and could do with some friends...

challism

15 Jun 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
15 Jun 2021
I think there is certain amount of bias against these devices because they look old. I have a similar dislike for Malstrom even though I have got some cool sounds out of it, I just don't like how it looks.
Dead on. Though, I take exception to your Malstrom sentiment. I love Malstrom. Lectric Panda's new "generates" refill has breathed some fresh life into Malstrom for me lately.

I just grabbed DDL1 and put it on an FX chain. I have forgotten about this useful little guy.... so simple, yet so powerful. I'm going to have to give it some more love. I really haven't used it much since The Echo was released, but I'm going to have to use DDL1 some more from now on.

I tend to overlook so many of the half-rack devices (and stock devices for the most part) just because I have so many REs. Probably because they are add-ons, I tend to focus on REs way more.

dannyF

18 Jul 2021

I never understand why Reason don't max out all devices with CV in/out. I mean, this is where Reason outshines all competition. Every time they release some new device with minimal CVs, I just shake my head. Latest casualty: Friktion
I do. Its called doing the least amount to make cash while also doing the minimum to save cash.

michael.jaye

23 Jul 2021

I love the half rack compressor, use it a lot. Wish it had sidechain input though.

And I love the filter, but it infuriates me that they left out High Pass filter type on it. Wish they'd add HP & Notch too. It's on most of the original devices, can't see why they omitted these.

miscend

23 Jul 2021

They should turn the half rack devices into pedals and add a pedal board power supply to the rack.

cocoazenith

11 Sep 2021

I like the half rack devices and would love more of them and an update to the old ones. Oscillators, filters, effects. You name it.

Many simple full width REs don't even have functionalities for the full rack space and you get space consuming ugly devices this way.

These half racks could be Reason's answer to Reaktor Blocks. You can make easily make 3U modular synth with 6 half rack devices.
The sky is the limit.

huggermugger

11 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
15 Jun 2021
riemac wrote:
15 Jun 2021
All of the front panel controls on the half-rack devices are visible in the Programmers of a Combinator or an Insert.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 3.02.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 3.02.31 PM.png (725.55 KiB) Viewed 1323 times

Loque

11 Sep 2021

huggermugger wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Loque wrote:
15 Jun 2021

All of the front panel controls on the half-rack devices are visible in the Programmers of a Combinator or an Insert.
I was talking about CV. Sure i can mix fron controls with my own CV via a workaround, but really...its Reason! Why not enough CVs?
Reason12, Win10

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2021

I'd like the noise effects section from Mimic as an RE

Marc64

17 Sep 2021

Do a combinator with a half skin with half of it in a screengrab of the empty rack :)

aeox
Competition Winner

17 Sep 2021

aeox wrote:
11 Sep 2021
I'd like the noise effects section from Mimic as an RE
Or just take that effect concept and elaborate on it with some more functionality. That's one effect where I always find myself reaching for third party tools (nothing wrong with that, but when trying to make tracks with Reason stock devices.. you notice.)

• Information