vocal and music track de-sync on export, need advice (SOLVED)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EdwardKiy

04 Apr 2021

have music as a separate track and heavy processing on Vocals bus that results in ¬16000 k ms. When I listen to the whole thing in the DAW it sounds fine, but when I export (and however I export - mp3/wav/dither/no dither/varied sample size) the resulting file has vocals and music de-synced. Latency compensation is "on" during export.

If I export processed vocals and the music track as separate stems, then put them both in a new project, then manually move and sync the vocal track to the music, then put in the master processing chain from the main file as a combinator, it sounds close, but not quite the same.

Has this happened to anyone else? How do I export the whole file without it de-syncing?

challism

05 Apr 2021

Maybe try exporting each individual track. Then open those tracks in a new Reason project and sync them the way you want them. Then export the master channel. This might give you better results because, as you mentioned, there was heavy processing in your song. This method will be more time intensive but less demanding on your DSP, as all the tracks will basically be dry signals, having already been processed.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

EdwardKiy

05 Apr 2021

challism wrote:
05 Apr 2021
This method will be more time intensive but less demanding on your DSP, as all the tracks will basically be dry signals, having already been processed.
hey, thanks!

I figured that when I summed the Vocals Bus and the music track and added a master processing chain as a combinator, it sounded different because I forgot to disable master bus compression in the mixer when previously exporting the bus and the track (doh!), but either way

I want to understand WHY this is happening - why can my DAW play it back correctly but cannot print it out the way I hear it. I know DSP is not an issue, because the dsp-meter is not even half-way busy. That's why I bought a decent PC in the first place. Is there a certain latency threshold on a bus which, if reached, disables latency compensation on export?

jam-s

05 Apr 2021

I think some VSTs have a problem with the fast rendering that is used by Reason during Bounce to track/disk. You could try if changing the sample rate (or the use audio buffer setting) before the bounce operation helps with this.

challism

05 Apr 2021

I have no idea. Sorry you are having problems with it. Hopefully somebody else can chime in with an answer.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

EdwardKiy

05 Apr 2021

jam-s wrote:
05 Apr 2021
I think some VSTs have a problem with the fast rendering that is used by Reason during Bounce to track/disk. You could try if changing the sample rate (or the use audio buffer setting) before the bounce operation helps with this.
Finally fixed it!

You are right in that the VST is what triggered it. Swapping sample rates and buffer size didn't help but I tried doing what Seckin and Gitfnky suggested here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7522605

Re-selecting the same audio interface didn't help and swapping to ASIO4ALL didn't help either, but swapping to asio and BACK to the original driver did the trick - halved the latency to 8k ms and the export was then properly synced, so it's definitely a bug of some sort.

• Information