OK, You've had your lockdown! (Tech House)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
craste

02 Apr 2021

A tune to celebrate when the clubs are open, you've had your lockdown, now its time to get down!

What do you think? Do you like?

EdwardKiy

04 Apr 2021

This definitely has potential. The bits before 0:55 and after 1;00+ are incongruent, as you are going from house to techno and this repeats later when you add layers to have a reverse transition. Passing from one to another by a drum raiser doesn't work for me. I think techno and drum raisers are just generally not friends. The switch must be abrupt, so the most obvious choice (that's jsut me) would be a pause there. This also means that the pad chords leading up to that switch must at some point become stabs to accentuate a pause. Also, when you want to transition from techno back to house, you must also do an abrupt switch or at least a brief pause before adding chorus layers etc. to signify to the listener that there is transition going on, otherwise I get the impression that the track can't decide what it wants to be.

Have a listen to how this guy builds and releases tension, not even with a pause, but with micropauses, reductions and contrast.

craste

04 Apr 2021

Hello Edward,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

That's what struggle with, the transitions, I want the build to be that good that your head wants to explodes when it drops!

The style of track I copied (purely for the structure /arrangement) was a tech house track (not Techno), and that had snare rolls and worked well in that track. Agree though mine doesn't make you feel like the tension is rising.

I might take the drum snare rolls out and see what it sounds like without, also I'm not sure about the tone of the vocal in it too, so might have to give the vocalist* a slap and get him to do it again.

That track is really good that you pasted the link to.

Cheers

Craig

*I'm the vocalist.

• Information