Ableton Drum Rack with Kong

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
electrofux

31 Jan 2021

How do you setup the Ableton Drum Rack and integrate Kong in it?

I dropped the RRP on the Drumrack and it comes up as only a single pads sound.

Tiny Montgomery

01 Feb 2021

If you want a mixer track per drum pad like Ableton Drum Rack flip the Kong and instead of using the main stereo audio out of the RRP use a stereo out for each Kong channel. Set up audio tracks in Ableton for each channel you output set to 'In' and to receive its own audio channel from the RRP.

These seem like very similar devices to me though, not sure why you'd want to integrate the two.

jlgrimes

01 Feb 2021

electrofux wrote:
31 Jan 2021
How do you setup the Ableton Drum Rack and integrate Kong in it?

I dropped the RRP on the Drumrack and it comes up as only a single pads sound.
Drum Racks typically can only play one pad of the device at a time.

There is a hack which allows you to only put one device in the Drum Rack and use the midi I/O to have each pad trigger each individual Kong Pad. This probably loses some of your effect capability though for each pad, but it might be possible to utilize the Kong Drum individual outs to overcome this.

Another idea would be just to use an instrument Rack or use an individual instance of Reason for each Drum Rack pad.

Whatever you do, you are probably best saving it as a template to keep from having to set it up again.

oolaa

01 Feb 2021

This tutorial helped me get Kong setup, it is using Kontakt drums as the example but principle is the same with Kong

Reason 12, Ableton Live 11 Suite, MPC Beats, Windows 10

Tiny Montgomery

20 Feb 2021

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
01 Feb 2021
If you want a mixer track per drum pad like Ableton Drum Rack flip the Kong and instead of using the main stereo audio out of the RRP use a stereo out for each Kong channel. Set up audio tracks in Ableton for each channel you output set to 'In' and to receive its own audio channel from the RRP.

These seem like very similar devices to me though, not sure why you'd want to integrate the two.

So it turns out I can route channels from Redrum into their own audio outputs from the RRP to Ableton audio channels but its not working with Kong. Kong only wants to work from the default stereo pair out of the RRP.

Pretty sure I'd already done this and it worked, but perhaps it was Redrum I'd used before. Either Ive missed something or this is a bug.

Tiny Montgomery

20 Feb 2021

Oh I dont think its a bug, you have to do that audio routing per pad thing you need to do in Reason when you want to break out the Kong channels.

So I missed a step.

• Information