What would make you consider Reason+ sub?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What would make you consider Reason+ sub?

Exclusive DAW features
4%
Inclusion of 3rd party REs
7%
Inclusion of Refills
3%
Partial rent-to-own (i.e. % of sub payments accrue as store credit)
17%
Tiered price (e.g. 10 for just the DAW, 15 DAW+REs, 20 DAW+REs+sound packs)
7%
Lower price altogether
14%
Nothing. I would never use Reason+
48%

Total votes: 306
antic604

28 Jan 2021

Seeing the distribution of votes in the other thread, I wonder what would make you - especially those that currently own & use Reason - consider the "Reason+" sub?

Personally, I'm leaning towards what I call "partial rent-to-own" where % of what you pay comes back as a store credit, so you could use that towards buying the upgrades or devices you'd actually want to keep should you decide to stop paying. It's kind of a safety net that'd make me feel much more comfortable with it.

On the flip side, I'd hate if some DAW features that I'd care about (e.g. track folders, improved blocks mode, new Combinator, etc.) were put behind the subscription wall. Thankfully Mattias confirmed it's not something they're considering.

Let's keep this one positive, shall we? :thumbup:
Last edited by antic604 on 28 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

guitfnky

28 Jan 2021

there’s no option for “nothing”

if they ever put DAW features behind a subscription, I’d have to see myself out.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

esselfortium

28 Jan 2021

No exclusive features, please. A bit annoyed that you've even included that as a poll option :lol:

Rent-to-own would be appealing. It'd be more customer-friendly and appealing if you were able to keep the latest Reason version without your subscription after paying a certain number of months.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

diminished
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2021

Rent-to-own or a FIXED price that refects the upgrade price every two years. So, 5-6€.
That would make me be NEUTRAL.
I'm still strictly opposed to anything subscription based. I'm still rocking Lightroom 6.14 and CS5 professionally. (By the way, the only way left you can still install CS5 is the DVD I have. Adobe killed ALL options to download older installers. So you better start hoarding those legacy Reason installers on an external harddrive..)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

antic604

28 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
28 Jan 2021

if they ever put DAW features behind a subscription, I’d have to see myself out.
Good point! I've added it to the poll, so please vote again :(
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

froggo_gfx

28 Jan 2021

Those who voting for Nothing out of spite actually do harm those who would prefer to gain at least something substantial out of this mess. Vote Partial Rent-to-Own guys.

froggo_gfx

28 Jan 2021

ALSO won’t hurt to have ability to log-in offline for a prolonged period (weeks, a month?) after initial online login.

syncanonymous

28 Jan 2021

I'm not into rent to own. I might consider this if my internet speed was faster...but it isn't! The subscription model equals perpetual downloads and I have not the internet bandwidth for such shenanigans like Creative Cloud or Pro Tools. I did not vote
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

Rising Night Wave

28 Jan 2021

i am not considering for sub. i will buy a subscription.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

Billy+

28 Jan 2021

Rent to own

Not store credit

I like to own the software, the only real concern I have is the new pricing. I'm assuming that we are going to see an increase in line with say suite for every upgrade. With just one option.

If everything RS released is being included as standard then buying RE's is going to be stupid as it becomes included in the next version upgrade, this creates the incentive to subscribe rather than buy.

I've trusted in this product for 20 years never had any reason not to, until now!

I can't even turn my machine on, I don't want to look at it, I don't want to see the stupid update bar.....

I do wish Reason success and I hope us that feel the way we do are proven wrong, but right now all I can see is the bad.

joeyluck

28 Jan 2021

antic604 wrote:
28 Jan 2021
guitfnky wrote:
28 Jan 2021

Yeah whenever you reset a poll, it resets the results. I think it's inherent that if you aren't interested, and there's nothing to make you consider it, you don't vote. I mean, there's also not an option that says, "It gives me what I want today—I don't need anything more!"

guitfnky

28 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
28 Jan 2021
antic604 wrote:
28 Jan 2021

Yeah whenever you reset a poll, it resets the results. I think it's inherent that if you aren't interested, and there's nothing to make you consider it, you don't vote. I mean, there's also not an option that says, "It gives me what I want today—I don't need anything more!"
that wouldn’t be a very useful poll, then.

jlgrimes

28 Jan 2021

I currently own Suite (and a good amount of 3rd party REs).

What would happen if I suscribe for a month and then cancel? Would I lose all of the prior licenses to REs that I already purchased outright and revert back to a standard copy of REason with no RE licenses (other than the 3rd party ones I presume, or is this smart enough to know what licenses I owned beforehand and restore those back to me. What happens to the patches? If I save those, would I still be able to use those in future projects?

Billy+

28 Jan 2021

jlgrimes wrote:
28 Jan 2021

What would happen if I suscribe for a month and then cancel? Would I lose all of the prior licenses to REs that I already purchased outright and revert back to a standard copy of REason with no RE licenses (other than the 3rd party ones I presume, or is this smart enough to know what licenses I owned beforehand and restore those back to me. What happens to the patches? If I save those, would I still be able to use those in future projects?
If you cancel your subscription you go back to what you previously own.

As for the content packs, I guess in theory you should be fine to use them but you will need to have the RE's they use.

You could ask Reason support for clarification!

guitfnky

28 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
28 Jan 2021
jlgrimes wrote:
28 Jan 2021

If you cancel your subscription you go back to what you previously own.

As for the content packs, I guess in theory you should be fine to use them but you will need to have the RE's they use.

You could ask Reason support for clarification!
RS confirmed you’d keep any sound packs you got while subscription even after you let it lapse. it’s buried somewhere in the main nightmare thread.

Billy+

28 Jan 2021

Yeah but I'm kinda at the point where I'm going to refer support requests to Reason Support it might not be helpful but hey it's not like they deserve community support........

It wouldn't surprise me if they start a new subscription forum, could earn them a bit more cash

Loque

28 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Yeah but I'm kinda at the point where I'm going to refer support requests to Reason Support it might not be helpful but hey it's not like they deserve community support........

It wouldn't surprise me if they start a new subscription forum, could earn them a bit more cash
Yea, Reasontalk should also get some money for hosting, administration, moderation and help of all those great community members which are always here to help one out!

Btw, you saw the "Donate" button on the right side?
Reason12, Win10

Billy+

28 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Haven't noticed? Is that for the forum?

Billy+

28 Jan 2021

Just seen it, you know I never had, it's at the bottom in the forum and on the front page which I've never been to.

Sorry guys......

Loque

28 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Loque wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Haven't noticed? Is that for the forum?
Yep. Nothing is for free. The hosting, administration and stuff costs money. Well, i do not host this forum, but i have donated in the past since i learned a lot of stuff here and some posts saved me a lot of money with better deals :-D

Administration and moderation is done by a few ppl in their spare time and ofc all the community members answering question invest their time to give you answers to your questions...Time is money :-P
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2021

froggo_gfx wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Those who voting for Nothing out of spite actually do harm those who would prefer to gain at least something substantial out of this mess. Vote Partial Rent-to-Own guys.
I’m maybe misunderstanding your post but who’s voting nothing “out of spite”? And even if people were then how would it harm anyone? RS aren’t going to stop doing what they want just because some people said they didn’t like something.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

28 Jan 2021

froggo_gfx wrote:
28 Jan 2021
I haven't voted, there is no option I feel is correct for me.

Partial rent to own is confusing.

I would use the subscription service if I owned my license at the end of a cycle, I don't want store credits.

MrFigg wrote:
28 Jan 2021
I’m maybe misunderstanding your post but who’s voting nothing “out of spite”? And even if people were then how would it harm anyone? RS aren’t going to stop doing what they want just because some people said they didn’t like something.
I agree MrFigg, out of spite from an abandoned community isn't going to change anything, I mean during last nights stream they said they would be on Reason Talk but I've not seen any of them. Yes they descended on the thread during the morning but haven't done anything since.

Normally Ryan would be over the moon when viewer went above the 2/300 mark, last night it was over 700 and no questions were put on screen! That said far more than what the C's said.

If they was interested in community feedback they wouldn't silence us, which is exactly what happened when the Propellerheads forum was removed, it created space between unhappy owners and potential new customers.

Oh and just for clarification C's are CEO CXO HOS etc...

arqui

28 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
28 Jan 2021
antic604 wrote:
28 Jan 2021

:thumbup:
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

Billy+

28 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Time is money :-P
I agree, and I've always used my time to help others new or old that come to this forum for support in the hope it strengthens this community.

Popey
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2021

I put nothing but not out of spite. I now just use the rack plugin and planned not to upgrade reason until that breaks due to os updates or there is some new re that requires a later version. At that point I will consider options and weigh up what to do but would not go sub.

Personally for some people subscription offers a feasible way in but it would be better if you did get some sort of rent to own type scheme so you could at least keep the daw or something should you fall on hard times.

• Information