Ekssperimental Sounds Filter Chain x8187 in shop.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
moofi

08 Nov 2021

Yes, the reverb sounds particularly nice, especially on drums + percussion.
I aswell like the echo quite a lot, simple + on point.
MrFigg wrote:
28 Sep 2020
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ain-x8187/

Love the reverb on this one. :)

rorystorm

10 Nov 2021

This a good device, really nice saturation on a couple of the filters. It works really well if you use it as a send for getting a sold techno rumble sound on your kicks. I add a Pump afterwards to faux sidechain it as well....

moofi

13 Nov 2021

I know this thread is already a bit outdated, then I still feel like contributing:

Even if it was a swiss army knife, what it actually sort of is, because there are seperate Ins + Outs for half of the devices (Pitchshifter, Delay, Reverb), it´s finally, like you sort of mentioned, about the sound. Even though the technical routing side of things might be achievable through Combinators with stock devices, it´s simply a new sound with the original device you just wouldn´t be able to replicate within a combinator with different devices unless they sound identical.
It´s like cooking the same recipe twice with variations in taste of the ingredients. Both might use red paprika while one of them is spicier, the other one is sweeter. The cooking process itself stays the same still the resulting tastes differ. If you now add quality levels of the ingredients like there are qualtiy levels of plug-ins, the result would differ even more so.

A pretty good example are Softube´s Trident + Red Rock´s British EQ A. They are basically emulating the same device making use of the same parameter layout, except for some minor exceptions. The results are pretty similar in terms of the way they alter the frequency bands yet British EQ A sounds punchier and thatfor more prominent. Overall it colours the sound stronger in comparison while Trident leans more to the transparent side of things.
Then it´s not necessarily a question of the better device but what sort of flavour you would like to add in what situation. Saying, the variation in sound, even if the basics are the same like in the mentioned EQ example, simply adds a new colour to the palette of sonic possibilities + characters you would miss if you only had one of the two.
chaosroyale wrote:
29 Sep 2020
I'm another DIY modular maniac, but I think I can give you my point of view on why this looks like a good device.

It is not trying to be a swiss army knife or all-round multi FX. It is basically just a fancy filterered delay/verb, wrapped in one compact, easy to use GUI. (Depending on the particular sounds of the filters and the delay, it might also not be possible to make with native reason devices.. I'm still rather unconvinced by the Sweeper filters, they don't sound that great to me, especially the filter drive.)

Any device in any DAW is literally just a GUI between you and a way of doing sound work. Whatever GUI gives you the fastest way to get the results you want, is the right way.

For example, Reason you can only load and save complete combinators. But you might want to load your usual "filter and delay and overdrive" set-up into an existing combinator. Without a Super-Combinator 2 to make organizing and macro controlling easy, convenient units like this RE can be a time saver. 10 years ago I would have LOVED more devices like this, not to use all the time, but for when they are handy.

One could argue that the Pulverizer was exactly the same philosophy - 3 or 4 related fx together in a handy box.

EDIT: I take back my criticism of Pulverizer's GUI. I still love ya, Pulverizer, even though your distortion is weak sauce. GUI design in Reason devices really went downhill after that.
dvdrtldg wrote:
29 Sep 2020
I don't really get the point of this sort of device in Reason, where you already have a modular setup in the rack (including patch saving/loading) that is more flexible and versatile than something like this could ever hope to be. I mean it looks cool and I'm sure it sounds great. It just seems a bit redundant. Maybe I'm missing something?

moofi

14 Nov 2021

The Frequency Shifter I like very much aswell. It sounds clean without any noticable delay though I guess there is some at least. While testing EQ combinations on a little REX-loop compostion I put the shifter on the drumloop creating the track´s "melody" by automating the range knob:
ROx.mp3
(627.04 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

moofi

23 Nov 2021

Just had a dubbie jam on Filterchain processing a Boom 808 rhythm. Only those two devices were used while merely FIlterchain was manually automated.

Maaaaan, like already previously mentioned the frequency shifter sounds good. Aswell the echo shines along Filterchain´s additional sweet sounding modules.
Echobod... who? ;-) :-D

Though merely in 256 kbit/s to fit the forum´s maximum filesize, here is the quick´n easy result of Filterchain´s testdrive:
snope.mp3
(958.57 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2021

Filter chain is magic.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

moofi

23 Nov 2021

++++ :-)
MrFigg wrote:
23 Nov 2021
Filter chain is magic.

moofi

26 May 2022

Working with Filter Chain in a Combinator context I was wondering wether it would be possible to include an overall dry/wet like it is with Sadist.

challism

27 May 2022

moofi wrote:
26 May 2022
Working with Filter Chain in a Combinator context I was wondering wether it would be possible to include an overall dry/wet like it is with Sadist.
Agreed. I think all effects devices should have a master dry/wet control.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

• Information