Digidesign Digi 002 / Reason 11 - is this possible?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kinkujin

15 Jul 2020

Long story short, I have one of the above and use Reason 11, and Ableton Live 9 (two different computers bot Mac).

Any chance I could set this old Digi beast up to use with Reason? Or would it be a config nightmare? Running OS El Cap on an old iMac 20” (2009) with 8 gig of ram. Trying to stave off a purchase here. Thanks for any thoughts.

Thank you fine folk.
-kinkujin

moneykube

15 Jul 2020

I have the digi 002 working with reason 10... have not tried it with 11(yet)... avid no longer updates 002 drivers so if 11 is not working with the 002 it is because drivers need updating (which won't happen) ... I bought a scarlet 4/4 for reason 11 and a newer computer... I use the 002 with my older laptop running 10.... if you get it working with 11 please let us know :exclamation: :puf_smile:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

kinkujin

15 Jul 2020

moneykube wrote:
15 Jul 2020
I have the digi 002 working with reason 10... have not tried it with 11(yet)... avid no longer updates 002 drivers so if 11 is not working with the 002 it is because drivers need updating (which won't happen) ... I bought a scarlet 4/4 for reason 11 and a newer computer... I use the 002 with my older laptop running 10.... if you get it working with 11 please let us know :exclamation: :puf_smile:
Thanks moneykube. Guess I'll give it a whirl then. Was it a tricky proposition to get it working with R 10?

moneykube

15 Jul 2020

kinkujin wrote:
15 Jul 2020
moneykube wrote:
15 Jul 2020
Thanks moneykube. Guess I'll give it a whirl then. Was it a tricky proposition to get it working with R 10?
no ... it just worked...no special run around if I remember correctly.... I have the motorized fader version of 002 ... the faders no longer move with audio on tracks/lanes but all fuctions work no problem... faders don't move in other DAWs either so that is more ore less a protools thing I think. I did try one of the newer updates to 003 not supported or as they stated "not tested", by 002 to see if it worked.... but nope... you must use the older 002 driver, or at least I had to with the mountain lion os I was using... perhaps newer operating systems will like it better? But I doubt it as it does say not tested
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

kinkujin

15 Jul 2020

moneykube wrote:
15 Jul 2020
kinkujin wrote:
15 Jul 2020

no ... it just worked...no special run around if I remember correctly.... I have the motorized fader version of 002 ... the faders no longer move with audio on tracks/lanes but all fuctions work no problem... faders don't move in other DAWs either so that is more ore less a protools thing I think. I did try one of the newer updates to 003 not supported or as they stated "not tested", by 002 to see if it worked.... but nope... you must use the older 002 driver, or at least I had to with the mountain lion os I was using... perhaps newer operating systems will like it better? But I doubt it as it does say not tested
Thanks again! Very much appreciated.

supernova777

09 May 2021

as far as MACOSX is concerned : The digi 002 installs CoreAudio Driver when you install Pro Tools. Or there is a download for a core Audio driver to use if you DONT have pro tools installed; once the Core Audio Driver is installed (either on its own without PT, or as part of the PT installation) you should be ok to run any Audio application that can run on the same MacOS that you are running.

stillifegaijin

09 May 2021

I am using a Digi 002 Rack with Reason 11 on a 2010 Mac Pro running Mojave. It works perfectly. You do need drivers, which are outdated but still work. They are here - https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/artic ... 03-Drivers - I use the newest, 11.1.5 even thought it says 002 is not supported. It works for the 002 they just didn't test it cause Avid sucks it. Though I guess it might be different for the non-rack model with faders and all. But all the drivers are on that page.

The 002 should work on OS Mojave or older so El Cap should be good to go. As soon as I get a new computer and move to Big Sur I'll need a new interface to go with it.

supernova777

09 May 2021

thanks for adding that info re: the drivers working on 10.14 MacOS Mojave;
i was gifted a 002 console and i intend to bounce between a number of different platforms with the device
switching between an old PowerPC G4 (PT LE 5.3.2 on MacOS9.2.2)
and much more modern versions of software

what was involved in getting the 10.12 drivers to work on 10.14?
is it just the usual Driver-hack?

here is the process outlined in a document put out by Pioneer
"Important notice for installing the driver on macOS Mojave 10.14 or macOS High Sierra 10.13 "
https://www.pioneerdj.com/-/media/pione ... f?la=en-us

is this "Standard" disabling of driver security all thats neccessary?

stillifegaijin

10 May 2021

supernova777 wrote:
09 May 2021
thanks for adding that info re: the drivers working on 10.14 MacOS Mojave;
i was gifted a 002 console and i intend to bounce between a number of different platforms with the device
switching between an old PowerPC G4 (PT LE 5.3.2 on MacOS9.2.2)
and much more modern versions of software

what was involved in getting the 10.12 drivers to work on 10.14?
is it just the usual Driver-hack?

here is the process outlined in a document put out by Pioneer
"Important notice for installing the driver on macOS Mojave 10.14 or macOS High Sierra 10.13 "
https://www.pioneerdj.com/-/media/pione ... f?la=en-us

is this "Standard" disabling of driver security all thats neccessary?
Yes, I believe for Mojave that is the standard procedure. As long as you're paying attention during the install the computer pretty much walks you though the process. My problem is that if I'm installing that driver, I'm doing 4-5 things at once because I've done a complete rebuild, it's the middle of the night, and I miss the notification to open sys prefs.

• Information