Transcribing vocal line: Pitch edit > screenshot > piano roll?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
eusti

22 May 2020

Transcribing a vocal line to figure out the chords of a song...
I go into the pitch editor and take a screen shot with my phone,
then have that on the screen and recreate the line in the piano roll part of the sequencer...

Is there a better way? Tried Melodyne and it gives me totally weird midi info that I cannot easily sort out...
Audio to MIDI doesn't work that well either... If I could just see the pitch info in the piano roll, that would help me...
Is that possible? Am I missing something?

D.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

22 May 2020

I do audio to midi (Reason sequencer or Melodyne), then use Scaler to suggest different scales. Look at what seems to be a common note in the vocal, try some different scales and chords.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

WongoTheSane

22 May 2020

Just drag the audio clip onto a MIDI lane, it will be converted to MIDI automatically.

eusti

22 May 2020

Boombastix wrote:
22 May 2020
I do audio to midi (Reason sequencer or Melodyne), then use Scaler to suggest different scales. Look at what seems to be a common note in the vocal, try some different scales and chords.
Thanks! Sometimes audio to midi doesn't give me usuable results... (mainly with bass lines though...)

D.

eusti

22 May 2020

WongoTheSane wrote:
22 May 2020
Just drag the audio clip onto a MIDI lane, it will be converted to MIDI automatically.
Wow! That works pretty well. Thank you!
:)

D.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

23 May 2020

eusti wrote:
22 May 2020
Boombastix wrote:
22 May 2020
Thanks! Sometimes audio to midi doesn't give me usuable results... (mainly with bass lines though...)

D.
Reason doesn't handle bass at all, but Melodyne has worked well for me. Musical chords is a bigger issue though, the Melodyne DNA finds "too much", broken up notes and octaves that aren't there. If the stuff isn't too crazy it is good for checking the notes and chord in an audio loop.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information