Logic X + Reason 11 Rack Plugin [Question]

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
TheSaif7

22 Mar 2020

Hello, during this quarantine, I am facing a quite frustrating issue with Logic X as DAW using Reason Rack Plugin (RRP):

In my Logic DAW, I am using RRP's Kong as my drum designer and (on top of it) Beat Map to generate a preset pattern. The problem is when I hit "record" in Logic X, I get a signal, but nothing is being recorded to my track (Picture attached).

When I play any note on my MIDI keyboard, I can successfully record that single note, but what I want is to record/capture that Beat Map preset pattern. Unfortunately, I can't just "drag and drop" the pattern I want to my track like other RRP instruments.

Thank you for your time and hope to find an answer here,
Saif
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 2.56.30 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 2.56.30 PM.jpg (674.29 KiB) Viewed 1487 times

enossified

23 Mar 2020

The MIDI out of BeatMap (or any other device that outputs MIDI) is not available the way you are using it. I know the Rack can be used as an audio effect in Logic, I am not sure if it can be used as a MIDI effect or not...haven't tried it. You need one Rack instance with just BeatMap and one with just Kong.

Recording the MIDI out of any device in Logic is convoluted. Read this article from SoundOnSound magazine about how to do it.

Good luck!

hurricane
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2020

enossified wrote:
23 Mar 2020
Recording the MIDI out of any device in Logic is convoluted. Read this article from SoundOnSound magazine about how to do it.
No.

Saif - You need to load an instance of the RRP midi fx (with beatmap) and a separate instance of the RRP instrument (with Kong). So TWO separate instances of the RRP - one with the player, and one with the instrument. Then download MIDI fx freeze and follow the instructions in this post: viewtopic.php?p=490110#p490110
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

PhillipOrdonez

23 Mar 2020

Don't know the logic side of it, but you need to have a track with beatmap and a midi out device below it and then it's all about doing this thing in logic which in sure someone will help with soon. You can record the midi and sir it on your Kong track and that's it.

Happy quarantining!

enossified

23 Mar 2020

I checked in Logic and I can load RRP as a MIDI effect in an instrument track.

When I load a Player such as Dual Arp into the RRP it auto-creates a MIDI Out device for me.

Hurricane is correct about using MIDI FX freeze as a solution, it is mentioned in the SOS article I linked.

Have fun!

hurricane
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2020

enossified wrote:
23 Mar 2020
I checked in Logic and I can load RRP as a MIDI effect in an instrument track.

When I load a Player such as Dual Arp into the RRP it auto-creates a MIDI Out device for me.

Hurricane is correct about using MIDI FX freeze as a solution, it is mentioned in the SOS article I linked.

Have fun!
Yes, the SOS method (which is the old and outdated and inefficient way of doing things) works, but using Midi FX Freeze is how most of us should do it because it's free, easy, and fast.

A quick not about using midi fx freeze with Beatmap:

Set midi fx freeze to record and then "play" Beatmap live - that is, you can jiggle all the knobs, switch between maps, and pretty much do anything you want, and midi fx freeze will record it. Once you're done, stop recording in midi fx, and everything you just did in Beatmap is now in the midi fx midi file. Now you can can pretty much slice 'n' dice the region to your liking.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

• Information