Sweeper & Quartet REs inside Reason 10

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Mint

26 Feb 2020

Hi GMS
Thanks for checking out the Mac OS thing but it's not my old imac that's the prob, it's the hardware that's attached to it ie. my M-Audio Projectmix audio interface, it will only support up to os10.10 / Yosemite. This unit is so good...it's a bit like having a Mackie Universal controller and audio interface in one. That's why I'm not keen to step up to 10.11 and leave the P/mix behind.

At least you can still run Reason 10 on an "old" Mac. R10 is more than good for me, but would be nice to be able to demo Reason 11's new features and units.

gregmarksimpson

27 Feb 2020

Ah ok, cool man. I found this if it helps you get an El Cap install fully working https://maudio.boards.net/thread/4/fire ... ll-package The beauty with OSX is that it's great for easily installing and running from an external drive, it might be worth trying El Cap out on one without affecting your main Yosemite install. See if the install package above works for your ProjectMix (might have to use Pacifist to manually install like the dude in the comments on that page did)...

Now back to the issue at hand; I know for certain that 10.7.5 could easily run Sweeper and Quartet no problem, if only Reason Studios would publish a version of it that isn't embedded inside Reason 11!

Anyone reading this who could make such a thing a reality? Alternatively, is there any way of getting the Reason 11 app to run on 10.7.5? :)

Mint

27 Feb 2020

gregmarksimpson wrote:
27 Feb 2020
Ah ok, cool man. I found this if it helps you get an El Cap install fully working https://maudio.boards.net/thread/4/fire ... ll-package The beauty with OSX is that it's great for easily installing and running from an external drive, it might be worth trying El Cap out on one without affecting your main Yosemite install. See if the install package above works for your ProjectMix (might have to use Pacifist to manually install like the dude in the comments on that page did)...

Are you joking mate, all this sounds complicated as hell to me :?
I've known about the macOS Projectmix hack for a while and been dredding the day I may be forced to use it. Hopfully it'll turn out to be one of those things that once tried - wasnt that dificult after all. :)

gregmarksimpson

02 Mar 2020

Mint wrote:
27 Feb 2020
gregmarksimpson wrote:
27 Feb 2020

Are you joking mate, all this sounds complicated as hell to me :?
I've known about the macOS Projectmix hack for a while and been dredding the day I may be forced to use it. Hopfully it'll turn out to be one of those things that once tried - wasnt that dificult after all. :)
If you buy an external USB hard drive and a ready made El Capitan USB installer stick (Amazon sells them), you can boot from the USB installer and then try installing El Capitan directly to the USB hard drive. You can then easily boot from the external drive by holding down the Option key when your Mac boots.

This leaves your internal Yosemite drive as is; and will give you an El Capitan install to mess about in to see if you can get the Projectmix working, without risking breaking your fully working Yosemite setup.

If that all sounds too complicated then maybe best leave alone; I would hate for you to inadvertently wipe your Yosemite drive when playing about with this if it's not stuff you're experienced with!

I'm still holding out hope that someone at Reason Studios will see this thread and answer whether there are any plans to release these two REs separately for those of us who can't use the Reason 11 app due to its higher system requirements...

Mint

02 Mar 2020

gregmarksimpson wrote:
02 Mar 2020

If you buy an external USB hard drive and a ready made El Capitan USB installer stick (Amazon sells them), you can boot from the USB installer and then try installing El Capitan directly to the USB hard drive. You can then easily boot from the external drive by holding down the Option key when your Mac boots.

This leaves your internal Yosemite drive as is; and will give you an El Capitan install to mess about in to see if you can get the Projectmix working, without risking breaking your fully working Yosemite setup.
Cool, this is the missing piece of info I needed ie. Get a separate bootable drive with 10.11 on it. Was trying to figure out a way of having two OS on the same computer but the USB stick route should do the trick, thanks! ...and I'll back-up before any Projectmix/Mac hacking too :geek:

So what's your story, why you still on an "old" comp with os10.7 max? Are you not having CPU performance issues etc?

gregmarksimpson

03 Mar 2020

Mint wrote:
02 Mar 2020
gregmarksimpson wrote:
02 Mar 2020

Cool, this is the missing piece of info I needed ie. Get a separate bootable drive with 10.11 on it. Was trying to figure out a way of having two OS on the same computer but the USB stick route should do the trick, thanks! ...and I'll back-up before any Projectmix/Mac hacking too :geek:

So what's your story, why you still on an "old" comp with os10.7 max? Are you not having CPU performance issues etc?
My computer still performs really well https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_ ... specs.html; it has 8 cores and 32GB of RAM: and 2 x SSD drives. On super large projects I usually have to bounce all channels down before continuing to add the final layer of instruments, but I've found this process of moving all current MIDI into Audio near the end actually gives my creativity a new lease of life. It allows me to further mix with reset chanel strips and also to more easily create audio fades and slice audio up to create different FX that aren't possible during the MIDI stage.

My dream rack device has always been a decent native Propellerhead filter; and now they've finally made one I can't get it to run on my system even though I own a license for it!

Here's hoping as long as I keep this thread alive someone sympathetic will read it and see if there's something they can do to set the wheels in motion to making it happen in Stockholm...

gregmarksimpson

06 Mar 2020

gregmarksimpson wrote:
03 Mar 2020
Here's hoping as long as I keep this thread alive someone sympathetic will read it and see if there's something they can do to set the wheels in motion to making it happen in Stockholm...
Any chance of a reply from someone at Reason Studios? Even just a reply to say 'there are no plans to make these REs available to anyone other than Reason 11 users' would be better than radio silence...

EdGrip

06 Mar 2020

Let's face it, they aren't coming to Reason 10 because that's not how stock devices work, and you'll have Reason 11 at some point anyway. Jeez.

gregmarksimpson

08 Mar 2020

EdGrip wrote:
06 Mar 2020
Let's face it, they aren't coming to Reason 10 because that's not how stock devices work, and you'll have Reason 11 at some point anyway. Jeez.
They aren't stock devices though; not in the same sense as the rack devices of old. The last true real stock device was Neptune I believe. The later devices of Alligator, Pulverizer and The Echo aren't bona fide stock devices; they're original RE SDK devices. In the same sense, Sweeper and Quartet are just REs that have been embedded into the Reason.app bundle. In the past there have been now-embedded REs that were in the shop first; for example Synchronous and Audiomatic.

I can even find the RE files for Sweeper and Quartet if I right click on Reason 11.app and go into Contents > Resources > Embedded

Quartet and Sweeper are just REs that have been built with the same RE SDK that is built into Reason 10, they could easily run in Reason 10 with no effort on Propellerhead/Reason Studio's part. They would have nothing to lose in making these devices available to Reason 10 users and would actually gain money from loyalist customers like me buying these devices essentially a second time (given I am already a Reason 11 Suite license holder).

If R11 had come with a whole new SDK then fair enough, I wouldn't be asking the question. But as it stands right now there is 0% new RE technology in R11 over R10; therefore they should support their users better and offer these devices as something that can be bought separately if required.

jam-s

08 Mar 2020

I have not tried this, but it might be worth a shot: If you got R11 you could try to extract the REs from the .app and put them into your RE folder so R10 might be able to find them.

gregmarksimpson

10 Mar 2020

jam-s wrote:
08 Mar 2020
I have not tried this, but it might be worth a shot: If you got R11 you could try to extract the REs from the .app and put them into your RE folder so R10 might be able to find them.
This was the first thing I tried but unfortunately Reason 10 just ignores loading those two RE folders when put in the RackExtensions folder in Application Support. No error messages or anything; they literally just get ignored. This is why I need Reason Studios to make these two REs available in Shop form, so they require a separate license, then they can be inside the Authorizer app and thus run in R10.

gregmarksimpson

15 Mar 2020

Given Propellerhead/Reason Studios haven't contributed to this thread and it looks like they won't support older Reason users in getting these perfectly workable devices inside all versions of Reason that support the current RE SDK, let me pose my question in a different way.

What's the best way to emulate the Sweeper and the Quartet REs using any and all other REs that are available inside Reason 10?

gregmarksimpson

18 Mar 2020

gregmarksimpson wrote:
15 Mar 2020
What's the best way to emulate the Sweeper and the Quartet REs using any and all other REs that are available inside Reason 10?
Any ideas? I've tried playing around with a Pulsar combined with the filter in Pulverizer, that covers some bases of Sweeper. Are the options for Quartet emulation simply using the half-rack devices and stuff like Polar? Plus loading samples into Grain to get the granular effect?

gregmarksimpson

26 Mar 2020

gregmarksimpson wrote:
18 Mar 2020
gregmarksimpson wrote:
15 Mar 2020
Any ideas? I've tried playing around with a Pulsar combined with the filter in Pulverizer, that covers some bases of Sweeper. Are the options for Quartet emulation simply using the half-rack devices and stuff like Polar? Plus loading samples into Grain to get the granular effect?
Can someone suggest a decent Chorus RE I can get, given Propellerhead won't backport these REs for R10 users or put them on the shop? Anyone use Chenille much?

Cheers!!

Mint

26 Mar 2020

Last edited by Mint on 26 Mar 2020, edited 3 times in total.

joeyluck

26 Mar 2020

gregmarksimpson wrote:
26 Mar 2020
gregmarksimpson wrote:
18 Mar 2020

Can someone suggest a decent Chorus RE I can get, given Propellerhead won't backport these REs for R10 users or put them on the shop? Anyone use Chenille much?

Cheers!!
Chenille is a top pick for many users, for sure.

I'd also recommend Echobode, which is one of my favorite plugins and I often use for chorus effects. I have the RE and VST.
Also, kHs Chorus, which is free!

Are you only considering Rack Extensions? Because some folks might have VST suggestions. A free one that I've gotten some good results from is Multiply by Acon Digital.

xboix

26 Mar 2020

gregmarksimpson wrote:
26 Mar 2020

… given Propellerhead won't backport these REs for R10 users or put them on the shop?
Commercially speaking they have absolutely no incentive to do that. They want people to upgrade to the latest version so they are hardly going to port elements of the new version to earlier versions. And if they put them in the shop they would be more expensive than the upgrade!

gregmarksimpson

26 Mar 2020

xboix wrote:
26 Mar 2020
gregmarksimpson wrote:
26 Mar 2020

… given Propellerhead won't backport these REs for R10 users or put them on the shop?
Commercially speaking they have absolutely no incentive to do that. They want people to upgrade to the latest version so they are hardly going to port elements of the new version to earlier versions. And if they put them in the shop they would be more expensive than the upgrade!
Ordinarily I wouldn't take issue with that, but R10 had a system requirement of OSX 10.7. R11 has a system requirement of OSX 10.11. Many old still very capable Macs cannot run this version of OSX. And also, R11 doesn't even have a new RE SDK version (yet, anyway). I actually have upgraded to R11, I just can't run it! I can run ALL the suite REs that came with it though. It would be nice to have these other 2 suite FX I own (Quartet and Sweeper) running on my old Reason setup but alas it just doesn't look like anyone at Propellerhead cares. Once they upgrade the SDK I'll just reside myself to the fact that this computer ain't getting any new Props toys any more. But these two REs would be a very nice gift of them to older users and I wouldn't even mind paying for them again just to get the ultimate complete version of Reason 10...
joeyluck wrote:
26 Mar 2020
I'd also recommend Echobode, which is one of my favorite plugins and I often use for chorus effects. I have the RE and VST.
I actually already own Echobode and had never thought to try it as a Chorus effect. Will give that a shot; cheers Joey!

UPDATE: Can't believe I'd overlooked Echobode, it's so good for all kinds of modulation!! Don't even need the Quartet RE now!! And a Pulveriser filter combined with Pulsar does lots of the Sweeper stuff! Cheers Reasontalk!

• Information